23 46.94%
  • Like to receive BD myself but NOT participate in others'

1 2.04%
  • Like to participate in others' BD but NOT receive one myself

7 14.29%
  • Would not like to receive a BD nor to participate in others'

18 36.73%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Dances - For or Against?

Birthday Dances - For or Against?

Apologies if this has been covered before but you can imagine what a search for the word 'Birthday' in a thread title would uncover from the search engine

For those that don't know, a birthday dance is the practice of giving exclusive or almost exclusive use of the floor to the birthday boy/girl who then gets to dance a track (of their choice??) with a variety of partners operating in a relay system.

Personally I don't like them. I have never participated in anyone else's birthday dance and I wouldn't want ever to receive one myself. I don't like being the centre of attention and the disruptive nature of the relay system means it's probably not a particularly memorable dance experience either. I suspect I may be in a minority with this view but would be interested to know the reasons why.

The poll is anonymous as there's no value in knowing individual choices, just the overall pattern and it's a single choice only to prevent those hilarious rascals who insist on clicking every choice in a poll.

So, do you share my views on birthday dances, not really care or are you a big fan of them? If the latter, what is it that you like about them?

Robert

The Forum Legend

Re: Birthday Dances - For or Against?

I don't like them. I don't like anything that interrupts freestyle.

And I've never done one myself. And am quite happy for that to continue.

Pretty much agree with Trampy again, breaking the rhythm of freestyle is not a good thing. Certainly wouldn't want one if it was my birthday.

Haven't been dancing that long and never seen it at my venue but logic dictates that if you have enough people going along you'll pretty much have a birthday to celebrate every week, and that would just get silly.

Glitter Queen

Personally I quite like Birthday dances - they give a sense of community , allow you a 'Birthday treat' of dancing with all your friends and are quite a unique whirlwind of styles that I enjoy very much .

I do wonder though, that maybe I am pro-BDs because I can both lead and follow and so I don't have to sit out and watch if another lady is having her Birthday dance.
    Similarly I think there is a time and a place for them - at your regular weekday venue, for example - not at a big freestyle event where you will disrupt the dancing of many people you don't know.

I also think that BDs should not be forced upon those who do not wish to do them, though I know I would be upset if I had a BD and people who are important to me would refuse to dance with me in it...

Juju

Never heard of them before this. I'd hate to have one myself.

It's a regular thing at the Jazz Cafe - last month we celebrated four birthdays - one lady, three guys. It's a small place with a nice chatty vibe to it, so folks don't seem to mind taking a break from dancing to chat and watch, and those who are keen to dance join in with the birthday thing. It looks like a good opportunity to practice steals and jam-style dancing, though I've stayed on the sidelines so far.

I think they're fun, I've never had one because I've not been dancing long enough really, but I think they add a sense of fun..

But then again, I probably just like the attention

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Personally I quite like Birthday dances - they give a sense of community , allow you a 'Birthday treat' of dancing with all your friends
    I had one last year and it was nice, but i was worried that no-one would get up and dance with me It's only 3-4 minutes out of a freestyle session, hardly a great loss to the 'Miseries' like RobD to help make the birthday girl/boy feel special.

Never experienced a birthday dance as Rob described - birthday celebratory things I've seen/participated in have all been group affairs like a snowball (birthday boy/girl starts in centre with chosen partner with everyone else in a circle around them, then after a short time, they break off and each find another partner from the circle - so now 4 people dancing - then after a while they all do the same and it snowballs until everyone is dancing) or (think it was called a) bus stop (??? Guys line up one side, ladies the other with birthday [in the instance I've seen] girl at the front, and the first two people in line come together in the middle, guy giving birthday girl a kiss on the way past, and dance their way down the centre as the next two then follow suit.) which I think is better than just the birthday girl/boy dancing. I wouldn't complain if I got some kind of birthday dance, whatever kind it was, but wouldn't expect one or be disappointed if I didn't get one, and have happily participated in all those that I've seen.

Registered User Daydreaming Diva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_4711 View Post
    Never experienced a birthday dance as Rob described - birthday celebratory things I've seen/participated in have all been group affairs like a snowball (birthday boy/girl starts in centre with chosen partner with everyone else in a circle around them, then after a short time, they break off and each find another partner from the circle - so now 4 people dancing - then after a while they all do the same and it snowballs until everyone is dancing).
    I think birthday dances are lovely - like receiving a present from everyone who holds you in esteem. I've never been treated to one, but live in hope (will probably be at Jag Jive - Bookham on my birthday this year unless I get a better offer ). I have participated in them though and watched when I didn't know the person.

It is a great way to treat a birthday girl/boy on their special day when they have chosen to spend it with their dancing friends. I agree that this is better if it is on a class night where everyone in the room is probably known in some way by the person in question. However, it can work at a freestyle in the manner that Frankie 4711 suggests.

So, you spoil sports. Don't be so sad. Give your friends a birthday dance present, its only 3-4 minutes out of your freestyle and for those who don't want to take part, take the opportunity and go and change your teashirt or buy yourself a drink!!!

I think they are really fun and I've taken part in loads of other peoples birthday dances. I haven't had a birthday dance for myself yet as I don't let people know when my birthday is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    It's only 3-4 minutes out of a freestyle session, hardly a great loss to the 'Miseries' like RobD to help make the birthday girl/boy feel special.
    Dancing with you is enough to make anyone miserable BUT I should say that the loss of 3-4 mins freestyle to accomodate a BD doesn't bother me - in fact it's a handy break to get a drink, change a top, whatever. I stated my reasons for not being keen on BDs in my original post.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

I think they are nice and I certainly don't mind when other people have them but
    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I don't like being the centre of attention
    me neither
    so I've never joined in anyone else's and I would be completely embarassed to have my own

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I don't like being the centre of attention

I hate being watched! My dancing would go to pieces and I'd just get really embarrassed. But I'd participate in someone else's if they were happy to do it - I'd assume that the brief time I'd be dancing, people's attention would be on the birthday boy/girl, not on me.

I'd rather have a proper 3-4 minutes dance with all concerned.

What a ghastly idea. I'd just die... Thank heavens they don't happen round here.

I think this belongs at a private party, not a public event.

Daisy

(A Happily Unbirthdayed Little Flower)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think its a nice social thing to do Ive taken part in loads but never been offered one myself. I've seen the tramp in at least one too his memory is fading

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I've seen the tramp in at least one too his memory is fading
    I've danced in them. When it's been other people's. And the other option is sitting out for a whole dance!

I've never had one for my own birthday.... And I still don't want one either.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not a big fan of them - possibly because I've been traumatized by the equivalent at salsa.

If I had to listen to one more rendition of that dumbass "Happy Birthday To You" salsa track I think I'd explode

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    If I had to listen to one more rendition of that dumbass "Happy Birthday To You" salsa track I think I'd explode
    I do salsa as well, and I've never heard that track. Would be interested to hear it. But only once though as it sounds like it could be annoying.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    I do salsa as well, and I've never heard that track. Would be interested to hear it. But only once though as it sounds like it could be annoying.
    I'll give you a clue - the end chorus is "Happy Birthday to you"

Thread Information