Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Blues or is it just SAD

Re: Winter Blues or is it just SAD

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    You are going to get this one sent upstairs for sure
    What? I do need a carpenter & a plasterer...what is it with you lot, really

I suffer from SAD every weekday - I'm a Senior Analyst Developer.

Seriously though, SAD is a serious thing and can affect a lot of people. Its quite depressing for all of us stuck in offices that we dont get to see much daylight during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Seriously though, SAD is a serious thing and can affect a lot of people. Its quite depressing for all of us stuck in offices that we dont get to see much daylight during the week.
    Its 3.40pm and its dark outside at least the forum brings a ray of light in

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I lack the skills most kids form when out playing in the snow. I'm even more unsure on my feet in icy conditions than most elderly people. It got so bad I actually took to wearing knee, elbow and wrist pads to save the pain.. until people started laughing at me.. these days I use the ample padding on my derrière instead
    My dear, the solution is very easy. All you need is a pair of these. Lots of people in Scandinavia use these! And then you can ditch your padding, too!

PS - lots of places sell these, and you can get them on eBay, too!

A Helpful Little Monkey

Commercial Operator

Mighty handy on a slippy dance floor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

Mighty handy on a slippy dance floor too!
    A few venue owners might not be too impressed. Stilletoe heels caused enough aggravation.

Right, an attempt to resurrect this old and de-railed thread, and get it back on topic.

It's that time of year again...... Dark, cold, rainy. Yuck. I do struggle with depression anyway, but in winter it gets ten times worse! So, anyone else out there who struggle with low moods in the dark season? And what do you do to help yourself?

I'm very tempted to get one of those sunrise alarm thingys that Tiggs Tour mentioned. Just so damned expensive!! Also planning on talking a friend into joining the gym with me, as I know I always feel better after a good workout! And of course, there's DANCING!

Next!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Right, an attempt to resurrect this old and de-railed thread, and get it back on topic.

It's that time of year again...... Dark, cold, rainy. Yuck. I do struggle with depression anyway, but in winter it gets ten times worse! So, anyone else out there who struggle with low moods in the dark season? And what do you do to help yourself?

I'm very tempted to get one of those sunrise alarm thingys that Tiggs Tour mentioned. Just so damned expensive!! Also planning on talking a friend into joining the gym with me, as I know I always feel better after a good workout! And of course, there's DANCING!

Next!
    I've only just realised how old this thread is

My low moods are due to PMS (Pre-Menstral Stress) and prehaps the lack of sunshine and heat

To help myself besides going to work and forgetting about the season i just dance and spend time with someone i like plus just go out with my mates (when im not broke) or sleep

I don't go gym because i dance and run around at work esp on the stairs and thats pretty much my "gym"

It's that time of year again...... Dark, cold, rainy. Yuck. I do struggle with depression anyway, but in winter it gets ten times worse! So, anyone else out there who struggle with low moods in the dark season?
    Me! So much. Every night I am wiped out by about 8pm - if I fall asleep then I wake up after a few hours and can't get to sleep later. So I really try to stay awake, but even if I manage that I have no energy or enthusiam to do anything.

I can't get anything done, I get up and go to work, come home and collapse in heap. Then do it all again the next day. By the weekend I'm not capable of doing much as I'm so tired and need to go and buy groceries etc, was supposed to go out on Sat night and had to cancel. Basically last winter my life was work and sleep.

And what do you do to help yourself?
    To be honest, and I know its terrible, but if I have to go out in the evening I take a Proplus. I have literally been falling asleep in other people's houses.

I'm very tempted to get one of those sunrise alarm thingys that Tiggs Tour mentioned. Just so damned expensive!!
    Tempted to, and a light box as well. A friend has one and keep meaning to see if I could try it some evening to see if it helps at all. But they are expensive so I need to know if its going to help.

Also planning on talking a friend into joining the gym with me, as I know I always feel better after a good workout!
    I tried that last October, for that very reason. But I was always too tired to go. Dancing I have to turn up at, and it does help, but I'm even struggling to get there and again I need to take coffee to get me awake enough to drive down to class.

I only get 45 mins at lunch but I make a point of getting out and up the lane (the only place to walk) for at least 15 mins even if its raining. Its the only daylight I see Mon - Fri as its dark when I travel to and from work.

Longer term I think I might need to change my work patterns so that I work part time. have more flexible hours or at least am not in an office all day. Possibly less money but at least more quality of life.

I'm very tempted to get one of those sunrise alarm thingys that Tiggs Tour mentioned. Just so damned expensive!!
    I always feel down during the winter – the dark, the wet, the cold, etc... I'm counting the days to the equinox!

I've got a "dawn simulator" alarm clock, and I really don't know how I could wake up on these dark mornings without it. Mine a bit flakey though, so I'm thinking of buying a new one.

Might consider a light-box – but they are even more silly expensive!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Tempted to, and a light box as well. A friend has one and keep meaning to see if I could try it some evening to see if it helps at all. But they are expensive so I need to know if its going to help.
    Lumie/Outside In who make light boxes and dawn simulators do 30 day trials...

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I always feel down during the winter – the dark, the wet, the cold,
    Doesn't that give you a reason to cuddle up to FH???

My alarm clock is just cool its from the gadget shop. Its not like a normal alarm clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    Doesn't that give you a reason to cuddle up to FH???
    Unfortunately I rarely see her during the week.

Have to save up cuddles this weekend!

I always feel down during the winter – the dark, the wet, the cold, etc... I'm counting the days to the equinox!
    Me too! I'm away in Gran Canaria next week and even if its not sunny, at least I will be out of doors for part of the daytime. And I have worked out how many days till I go, then how many days when I get back until the equinox and days start to get longer - even though it takes a while to be noticeable.

I remember driving home from work earlier this year when it was no longer dark when I came out of the office and I literally felt as if I could breathe better at getting to see some daylight!

I might see if my family will buy me one for Christmas.

Blog Entries

I might see if my family will buy me one for Christmas.

It's just a small wooden box with a couple of fluorescent tubes and a plastic cover . Are they really that expensive? I can see an opportunity here...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Whether you suffer from SAD or not, I think most people get fed up with dark cold mornings and blue skin.
    No never.

Seriously, winter is my favourite time of year - if it snows, all the better

Here's a (relatively) cheap light box from Argos.

Here's a (relatively) cheap light box from Argos.
    That's 10,000 lux. Must do some research on what lux is good and how many mins you need to spend in front of one each day to be useful.

I was out for just 15 mins yesterday at lunchtime and I think that helped a bit. I didn't fall asleep in the evening (made myself sit at the computer instead of on the sofa!) and managed to stay awake til bed time.

That's 10,000 lux. Must do some research on what lux is good and how many mins you need to spend in front of one each day to be useful.
    According to this page, 10,000 is good and at that level, just half an hour.

More info and stuff here. Obviously, there may be a bias in the information they present on their web pages.

My dear, the solution is very easy. All you need is a pair of these
    Have revisited this thread and the above link. The link no longer works but it wasn't hard to find them again Here or Here
    I'm wondering though how would they work on pavements with just a thin coating of ice? I suppose as the heels are free then you'd put more weight there than when you walk on ice/snow.

if I thought they would work I would most certainly buy a pair and be dashed with how silly I may look. Anything that keeps me up on my feet and not on my backside in a pile of icy slush is not a bad thing.

Seriously thinking about getting a pair as they're not expensive in the least... depends on shipping though.

I had to laugh at this though.. hehe it looks like a cross between a balaclava and a gimp mask
    Last edited by Beowulf; 27th-November-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Thread Information