Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a new dance website

Re: Help with a new dance website

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    .......... and have a chat with Minnie about how much grief she puts into www.lyndaslist.com. Asking people to contribute themselves while you sit in heaven and pull the strings is all very well but it really *doesn't* work on a regular basis... at least that's been my experience........
    so true
    My list has been about for over 10 years now and it gets harder and harder to keep it going. I believe it is the only one that has survived that long and that is because it IS hard work. To keep it going I have to update it at least once a week and sometimes 'nag' organisers for info, besides doing a lot of homework myself, and I am only getting dance events together. And ESG is quite correct I often get lots of grief (from all sides)

I have tried to keep it very simple with a very boring website and very very few links, although I have had many lucrative offers to expand it.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    To keep it going I have to update it at least once a week and sometimes 'nag' organisers for info
    Astonishing, isn't it? I spent the best part of a year recently running a local newsletter for my neighbourhood, with *completely free* write-ups and publicity for any kind of event or happening - yet getting community groups to tell me what events they were planning and wanted the public to come to was like getting blood from a stone. Why are people so crap like that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    Astonishing, isn't it? I spent the best part of a year recently running a local newsletter for my neighbourhood, with *completely free* write-ups and publicity for any kind of event or happening - yet getting community groups to tell me what events they were planning and wanted the public to come to was like getting blood from a stone. Why are people so crap like that?

I run a professional association and we get the same. We want to give our members relevant, timely information, but the people who should be telling us about their events and courses are notoriously crap. Don't expect people to come to you with info, even if it is to benefit themselves.
    Last edited by Gav; 19th-November-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    Now Woodface - I do hope you weren't looking for encouragement on here
    I'd very much encourage anyone to get involved in improving the level of information available on the Web about MJ dance events, classes, etc. And I'm very supportive of people who want to give something back and help people.

I spend my entire professional life* providing information to people. It's a laudable aim.

But "encouragement" doesn't equate to "blindly support a new website as the answer".

I bet someone like Minnie would love some help in chasing organisers up, in helping with her website, in providing links, and so on. And to me, that'd be much more useful as a dancer than another site.

Also, the level of information on MJ events, and MJ websites around, is actually pretty good - at least, compared to the absence of anything resembling a decent Tango list. Woodface, if you want to start a dance site, then Tango's wide open, believe me.

* That is, the 10% of time I'm not on the forum, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I bet someone like Minnie would love some help in chasing organisers up

.............the absence of anything resembling a decent Tango list. Woodface, if you want to start a dance site, then Tango's wide open, believe
    I would love to add more Tango and also Salsa on my list, as I don't do either I don't know where to get info.

As an open question ......... if any forumite goes to an event worth listing, please let me know, or give them my email address please and I will be more than happy to list them.

Thank you

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Warning...

If you look into a crystal ball and think very carefully about exactly how you design a new web site, spending time to make all the right choices early on, the ISP, the languages, any databases, the page structure, navigation ensuring it is structured for easy scaling up......

....you will get so depressed with the effort required that you will never start!

Of course you can start small, have some fun and then never get around to putting all the now-necessary work to improve the site and end up with a tottering edifice instead!

I am proud of my edifice....but I would like to scrub it and start again!
    As a starter for 10...

• I would not use ASP - too unreliable
    • I would make it XHTML compliant - allows static checking
    • I would fully use CSS - changes are easier
    • I would always write code directly and not use fancy FrontPage wizards
    • I would carefully examine the rules and comply with them and not do what happens to work today

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

very good advice

Make it a Portal?

OK ... if we take a radical approach (and I know this will cause ire with the techies ) but how about building something people actualy want? Given the plethjora of information already available, what WOULD be usefull is a single contcat point ... but isn't that what Portals are designed to do? I'm not sure where web portals are these days but I remember working on an employee portal project with a major Financial institution some 6 years ago. That was SOTA then but I'm sure that technology must be more widely available. If a portal could be developed and agreements developed with content providers (i.e. existing websites) ... could that be a total solution?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Make it a Portal?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    OK ... if we take a radical approach (and I know this will cause ire with the techies ) but how about building something people actualy want? Given the plethjora of information already available, what WOULD be usefull is a single contcat point ... but isn't that what Portals are designed to do? I'm not sure where web portals are these days but I remember working on an employee portal project with a major Financial institution some 6 years ago. That was SOTA then but I'm sure that technology must be more widely available. If a portal could be developed and agreements developed with content providers (i.e. existing websites) ... could that be a total solution?
    I suspect you'd need a lot of functionality (for both the portal and contributor sites) to make such a system work - each system would have to have a database outputting xompatible data (XML?) to the central site, on a regular basis.

Lot of work.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Gus please stop with your assumptions - as far as Im concerned the most important consideration in any application is the users - building what they want in a way that is very easy to use. Of course the big problem is them not knowing what they want in which case its up to me to design what they want before they know that it IS what they want Asking hundreds of people what they think about something is worse than pointless

I am using Web Portals on a daily basis at the moment and I can say yes that IS a good solution - but I use Oracles Portal solution which is far from cheap. There are a few open source ones such as http://www.metadot.com/ which has a logo cruella will like No idea what it is like.

However good the idea is - to do this successfully you would need a bit of work on the part of the content owners as well as the new portal site organiser, but with some revenue stream (e.g. google ads) there could be a financial reason for joining, as well as the social reason.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I suspect you'd need a lot of functionality (for both the portal and contributor sites) to make such a system work - each system would have to have a database outputting xompatible data (XML?) to the central site, on a regular basis.

Lot of work.
    not really - RSS feeds are fairly easy to set up or your cut-price other option is to use iframes on the portal site to "steal" content.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Gus please stop with your assumptions - as far as Im concerned the most important consideration in any application is the users - building what they want in a way that is very easy to use.
    Hey ... spot the smilie?? I KNOW that there are many techies who think about the users ... but have found them to be in the minority. I'm not complaining ... thats what keeps me in business Currently dealing with a project where the techies have gone out reseraching and developing kit ... and now they are trying to work out what customer problems they can use this kit to solve

If I was making any point at all, I was wondering if there is actualy a need for another reousrce site. I made a similar mistake when I set up On8 ... a solution for which there was no need/demand.

Thread Information