Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum rules of conduct

Re: Games Vs Respect for others

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    There hasn't been a change in policy, and in future the rules will be more widely applied. Naming and Shaming is not permitted on this forum, any post doing so (reported or noticed) will be deleted by a moderator or myself.
    Sorry, but I think you're playing with words here. It may be that Naming and Shaming is not permitted, but the fact is that up until now, that rule has only occasionally been enforced. If that is going to change, then it clearly is a change in policy.

I'll also point out that it's easy to say "Naming and Shaming" is against the rules, but I bet no 2 people on the forum agree about what it is. What about the threads on Simon Borland? Were they naming and shaming? What about the posts attacking various forumites from GaG? Or the posts about various A-list dancers being unfriendly?

Oh, and is there a forum code of conduct anywhere? I had a brief look and couldn't find one, and I have certainly had feedback from moderators saying they don't really know what the rules are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Sorry, but I think you're playing with words here. It may be that Naming and Shaming is not permitted, but the fact is that up until now, that rule has only occasionally been enforced. If that is going to change, then it clearly is a change in policy.

I'll also point out that it's easy to say "Naming and Shaming" is against the rules, but I bet no 2 people on the forum agree about what it is. What about the threads on Simon Borland? Were they naming and shaming? What about the posts attacking various forumites from GaG? Or the posts about various A-list dancers being unfriendly?

Oh, and is there a forum code of conduct anywhere? I had a brief look and couldn't find one, and I have certainly had feedback from moderators saying they don't really know what the rules are.
    Franck i understand your stance completely but i would like to point out that infractions or infrictions what ever you call them should be given to somebody who clearly understands rule breaking and not to somebody who has never done anything like that or understood the rule had been broken. there was no warning via the PM.

And so that we all know as some of your moderators dont know either, what the hell does infraction mean and what does it do.

Could i also ask that if i do something your not happy with, unlike you have done with my sister, at least have the decency to tell me via the PM first.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't have time just now to reply fully to your point, but I'm currently working with moderators on a set of rules and disclaimers to clarify the situation.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    Franck i understand your stance completely but i would like to point out that infractions or infrictions what ever you call them should be given to somebody who clearly understands rule breaking and not to somebody who has never done anything like that or understood the rule had been broken. there was no warning via the PM.
    The infraction is the warning. When you receive the infraction, you receive a PM with an explanation and how many points your infraction was worth.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    The infraction is the warning. When you receive the infraction, you receive a PM with an explanation and how many points your infraction was worth.

but what does an infraction do. Double Trouble can not PM at the moment. Why is that. What does it mean Franck. Dont forget im new here and want to understand rules and regulations.

From the Forum FAQ
    # Avoid personal references.
    Unless you are directly responding or quoting someone, try not to post hearsay or gossip - it is likely that the person involved will hear about it, if not read it themselves.
    # Try to keep it on-topic.
    If something said in one post sparks a question or idea not relevant to the current discussion, it's better to create a new thread to discuss it: It keeps things tidy and you may attract folk to read it that were not involved on the source thread.
    # Don't try sarcasm or dry witted humour.
    At least until you are known on the forum. Or if you do, please point it out - not everyone will share your sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    From the Forum FAQ
    So, shouldn't the forum FAQ be what you get when you click on the FAQ entry in the main menu? That's where I looked. (It sends you to www.cerocscotland.com/forum/faq.php, which doesn't seem to have anything relevant).

As for "personal references", one thing I'd like to clarify. Do people see a difference between

"Gus leads like a Gorilla" and "Craig Jeffries leads like a Gorilla"?

Would the answer change if Gus wasn't on the forum?

There seems to be somewhat of a belief that you can be nastier when referencing someone by their forum ID than by their real name, and that insults amongst forumites are somehow only 'virtual' insults that don't have any real effect. I would disagree with that, (and not only because my forum ID is my real name!) - in particular, when so many of us recognized by our forum name, it's hard to see how not mentioning your real name makes any difference.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, shouldn't the forum FAQ be what you get when you click on the FAQ entry in the main menu? That's where I looked. (It sends you to www.cerocscotland.com/forum/faq.php, which doesn't seem to have anything relevant).
    I agree - the FAQ link should ideally go to the Forum FAQ.

I'm sure it's on Franck's To Do list

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do people see a difference between

"Gus leads like a Gorilla" and "Craig Jeffries leads like a Gorilla"?
    I see a difference in "Gus leads like a Gorilla" and "In my opinion Gus leads like a Gorilla"

Disclaimer, the above is not my personal opinion
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Well as Gadget and I are the only two people to actually read the thing.....
    Perhaps an abridged version, or whatever Franck comes up with sent as a welcome pm to new members?

As for "personal references", one thing I'd like to clarify.
    My own personal belief is that the FAQ "suggestions" are ignored left, right and centre .

Blog Entries

Well as Gadget and I are the only two people to actually read the thing.....
    Excuuuuse me, I helped out a bit too

My own personal belief is that the FAQ "suggestions" are ignored left, right and centre .
    Any FAQ - hell, any documentation in general - is usually ignored. Until it's useful.
    That doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Excuuuuse me, I helped out a bit too
    Oh I didn't help write it, I just read it because I thought it might be useful . I was thinking of this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I see a difference in "Gus leads like a Gorilla" and "In my opinion Gus leads like a Gorilla"
    .. and occaisionaly both comments have been correct.

I would love 'enforcement' of respect ... but I don't think it will work. There are always going to be individuals who think that they have the right to express their point regardless of the impact. Without dragging up history again, the posting of PMs, personal insults, calling people stupid etc is not good form. I've not seen evidence that Respect or good manners has been enforced to any great degree ... but far more focus on taking down SOME 'advertising', whereas a vast amount of other advertising still goes on.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I couldn't comment on the sentiment, but both statements are equivalent. (It's so obviously an opinion, that to say so is irredeemably pointless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    .Without dragging up history again, the posting of PMs, personal insults, calling people stupid etc is not good form.
    I think I'd take the hypocrite that posted this a little more seriously if he actually took the trouble not to post personal insults in PMs. Or is he saying that it's fine to whisper in my ear that I "spread distrust, hate and pain" but not to say it out loud? Perhaps his nerve just fails him in public.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    I think I'd take the hypocrite that posted this a little more seriously if he actually took the trouble not to post personal insults in PMs. Or is he saying that it's fine to whisper in my ear that I "spread distrust, hate and pain" but not to say it out loud? Perhaps his nerve just fails him in public.
    Or perhaps the insults are better said to one personally in private, rather than to do it in public?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Or perhaps the insults are better said to one personally in private, rather than to do it in public?
    I don't understand the meaning of the word 'better' in that context. Do you mean you don't want to read them? I agree. But when someone asks for "enforcement of respect" (whatever that means) let it at least be known that he means only in public, so his snidey little wormtongue PM's can continue to fly in private.

let it at least be known that he means only in public, so his snidey little wormtongue PM's can continue to fly in private.
    Di has just won her bet

so his snidey little wormtongue PM's can continue to fly in private.
    Gosh! ESG nice rant but in my case it was snidey badly spelt little wormtongue PM's If the sum of my deuces is infact four.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Gosh! ESG nice rant but in my case it was snidey badly spelt little wormtongue PM's If the sum of my deuces is infact four.
    Oops - how do you spell it then? (And we could probably lose the apostrophe in "PM's" while were about it, too)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I've not seen evidence that Respect or good manners has been enforced to any great degree ... but far more focus on taking down SOME 'advertising', whereas a vast amount of other advertising still goes on.
    Generally, if you see something that's advertising, then report it - that's what that exclamation mark icon is there for. (I know you know, Gus, but it's likely that many users don't)

There's nothing wrong with reporting a post - it helps the moderators catch this sort of thing as and when it exists. The moderators can't read everything all the time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for topics to include in this "Rules of conduct" document?

Thread Information