7 20.00%
  • No opinion

0 0%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Death penalty

Commercial Operator

Re: Death penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I do like a thread bump (no, that's not a metaphor.)

Home secretary Jacqui Smith goes on GMTV stating that knife crime is "No more serious than it was before" Before what?

931 14 to 18 year olds in England stabbed last year, compared to 524 the year before. Jacqui Smith obviously can't count. Not to mention that when I was at school I didn't hear about anyone carrying a knife...it was unheard of.

Its a different story today. It seems that we hear almost on a daily basis about another young person being stabbed and killed. Gang web sites telling members never to fist fight, but to always carry a knife.

I wonder if the threat of the death penalty would make any difference to these young people who carry knives and think little of using them.
    Unfortunately, because of the cushy conditions in jails these days, many criminals do time "standing on their head"...in fact prison, along with ASBO's have virtually become status symbols now with many thugs and have ceased to be a deterrent. We should reintroduce the birch for knife crimes, and we should reintroduce hard labour for prison inmates. Anyone who chooses to carry a weapon which will inflict pain on another person, should have pain inflicted upon them. Likewise being in prison should be a bad experience so that anyone sent there would not want to ever go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Unfortunately, because of the cushy conditions in jails these days, many criminals do time "standing on their head"...in fact prison, along with ASBO's have virtually become status symbols now with many thugs and have ceased to be a deterrent. We should reintroduce the birch for knife crimes, and we should reintroduce hard labour for prison inmates. Anyone who chooses to carry a weapon which will inflict pain on another person, should have pain inflicted upon them. Likewise being in prison should be a bad experience so that anyone sent there would not want to ever go back.
    Once again, someone who has abandoned the power of thought fails to appreciate is that punishment is only one of the three purposes of custodial sentences.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Once again, someone who has abandoned the power of thought fails to appreciate is that punishment is only one of the three purposes of custodial sentences.
    The other two are, of course, keeping the victims or their family from complaining to the papers and, the most important one, vengance

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Not abandoned the power of thought Barry, ...in fact I've given this a lot of thought recently.I assume one of the other purposes would be rehabilitation. What percentage of criminals who have received custodial sentences do you think have actually been rehabilitated and go back into society better people?...damn few I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    The other two are, of course, keeping the victims or their family from complaining to the papers and, the most important one, vengance
    Nail on the head Andy...

Thread Information