Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The DavidJames weekender FAQ

Re: The DavidJames weekender FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Q: Are the classes any good?
    A: Of course! Much better than any other classes, anywhere. The 400-to-1 ratio and the 2ft high stages are ideal teaching environments. And, as numbers are typically even, you don't need to bring a partner (those couples with fixed partners are just the ones who need the most practice, you should pity them).
    Q: With so many classes, how many should I try to go to? I don't want to wear myself out!
    A: All of them! Especially the 9am classes - those are always the most popular - in fact I'd advise getting there a bit earlier, (say at 7am to be sure) if you want to get a place. It's well worth it though, as it's where all the hard core dancers will be, filling their dance cards for the evening.

Anyhow, it's a fallacy to think going to classes will wear you out - they're a good way of getting your body ready for the evening. This is especially true if you make sure you do all the high energy classes and all the drops and aerials classes. Just make sure you don't overtire yourself by warming up before the aerials.

Special tip: If you're an experienced Tango dancer, make sure you go to every tango workshop - seeing the teachers alternate between a tiny stage and teaching on the floor surrounded by 500 people (most of whom think a barrida is someone who makes expresso) will bring a whole new perspective to your learning. The teachers are always so charming and positive about us MJ dancers as well!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    He hasn't got time in his life for a weekend off of the forum? and go dancing instead

ps I'm at work all weekend but Mrs Par will be at Camber
    What's your handicap down to by now, UP?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Q: Given all the traditional grief and abuse and general depression affecting people post-weekender, why do they go on them?
    A: Are you kidding? The post-weekender post-mortems and discussions of bad behaviour are the fun parts!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They just keep on coming...

Q: How will I know how long to wait for the next weekender?
    A: Everyone enjoys be the obligatory exciting daily countdown, starting approximately 18 months in advance. Join the race to be the first to start the countdown. And don't forget to use the biggest font imaginable, in case people miss it.

Q: How can I apologise to the people I didn’t have a dance with?
    A: Public on line apologies are encouraged, the longer and more sycophantic the better. Be careful not to forget anyone or they will be upset.

Q: How can I thank the people I did enjoy dancing with?
    Public on line praise is encouraged, the longer and the more complimentary the better. Be careful not to forget anyone or they will be upset.

Q: I want to start a thread here about the next weekender, when is it acceptable to start one?
    A: You will have to wait at least three months till after it's finished, in case you confuse people by committing your thoughts on an event that may not have happened, be in progress, or even just finished.

Q: I've heard all sorts of things about the blues room at Southport, can they really all be true?
    A: Most definitely not! The music is always rubbishy wishy-washy namby-pamby stuff and totally impossible to dance to. You are likely to trip over on the verandah, run into the railings or collide with the bar. Whatever you do, stick to the main hall where at least the music will be modern chart music and the floor will be heaving. The blues room will be dead anyway and all the partners worth dancing with will have gone back to their chalets by midnight.

Q: Is the beach at Camber worth a visit?
    A: No way. You have to bargain with the security guys to escape from the perimeter, walk half a mile down a track and climb a mountainous sand dune to get there.....and the beach is nothing to write home about either. Stay in the main room and dance all day long so you can look forward to an early night.

Q: Is it worth finding a fixed partner for workshops?
    A: Are you crazy? Do you really want to be stuck with the same person for a whole hour? The rotation systems never fail to work efficiently, the gender balance is invariably equal, and you won't get stuck behind a pillar or get a million megawatt light shining in your eyes all the time either. And think of all the exciting partners you could be learning the routines with. Fixed partners are for married couples only and you may well be asked to provide a marriage certificate if you look shifty or the slightest bit unrelated.

Thread Information