Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Spectacles Incident

Re: A Spectacles Incident

I really don't like dancing in my glasses (and thus rarely do it.)

When I do, I'm always bashing them. They've never fallen off yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    Slightly off thread perhaps , but does anyone find that wearing glasses changes the way they make eye contact with their dance partner?

This is another reason why I don't like dancing in my glasses – they reduce the quality of the connection I can make with my partner, and make it harder to do cool glances and such...

I'm so short that I often find myself gazing at my partner over the rims in a rather librarian-like fashion Everyone I've danced with so far has been polite enough not to laugh but I suspect I may look ever-so-slightly comical
    I quite like it...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Well as a beginner spectacle wearer i`ll let you know, I find it hard to make eye contact as I can`t see that close up so am just about to embark on the wearing of glasses for dancing.

to this whole thread. I'm very short-sighted, so don't think I could function without my glasses. ...

:touch wood: I haven't had any major mishaps so far, although I do agree that even a bump can be uncomfortable as it changes the way they sit on your face

but I have had several minor loses as they fly haplessly across the floor with me and partener in pursuit

1 big mishap is glasses stayed on after impact from another dancer spinning close. I bliked as my partner looked blurred , to cut a long story short one lense fell out and broke, but glasses stayed on
    Slightly off thread perhaps , but does anyone find that wearing glasses changes the way they make eye contact with their dance partner? ...
    I can see distance with neighbouring partners, but up close I need to almost stare to get focus, else I just do short glances

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post

This is another reason why I don't like dancing in my glasses – they reduce the quality of the connection I can make with my partner, and make it harder to do cool glances and such...

I quite like it...
    I can do the cool glances, just have no clue what the reaction is

just hope the glances are as cool as i think they are

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    A word of advice to anyone reading this thread - if you *ever* dance with someone and knock their glasses off your first priority is to pick their glasses up for them. Remember that you *can see* and the person who was wearing the glasses probably can't and they are very worried about their glasses being trodden on and broken.

The amount of times someone has knocked my glasses off (or I've seen someone elses' knocked off) and the person who did it is just standing there apologising or carries on dancing! Please pick the glasses up first, then apologise later .
    I wear my glasses all the time and haven't really had too many problems with them coming off during dancing, but there was one occasion when my partner knocked my glasses off then stood and looked at me expectantly (well, I'm assuming it was expectantly, hard to tell as I couldn't really see, lol), as if to say why aren't you picking them up? I had to explain that I had no idea where my glasses were, so could he please get them for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Dancing at Camber. Someone knocked my glasses off my head, and they flew into the air. Somehow I managed to reach up and catch them, fold them up into my shirt pocket, all whilst still dancing with my partner, and finished off the track in a half-blind state.

Ya, I was pleased with myself after that.

This is really weird, all these people that say they wear glasses to dance, I've never actually noticed that any of you are wearing them. Do you think I need glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by jivebunny View Post
    I was dancing with David Y, doing a spin and my glasses flew off into the crowd, now I am blind without my glasses so I panicked, frightened that they would get stood on and smashed
    I wear glasses - and rather expensive ones too, so its mainly them getting stood on and broken I would worry about (I always take a spare pair to a weekender).

They have come off only twice ever - both times happened to be at Southport but several years apart. The first time was the same as you - a spin and they flew off (only I was dancing with Trampy, not DavidY) and the second time was in September, near the end of a lovely dance (with a non forumite) when they got knocked off - but it was in the early hours so the floor wasn't too busy.

Both times they've been undamaged and I've found them no problem. Maybe some time they'll get broken but these things happen. *shrug*

They do tend to slip down so I don't like endless double handed moves as I can't push them up! I need to include 'glasses pushing up' moments as I dance - I try to fit it in hopefully without being too noticeable.

OK, I know it's not cheap but think seriously about laser treatment for myopia. I wore specs from when I was 12 'til about 16, then contacts 'til I was in my early fifties. I had my eyes "zapped" a couple of years ago and it's one of the best things I've ever done. I still wear specs for reading but distance is no longer a problem - no more itchy eyes and marks on the bridge of my nose.
    Trust me, it's worth saving up for.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    OK, I know it's not cheap but think seriously about laser treatment for myopia. I wore specs from when I was 12 'til about 16, then contacts 'til I was in my early fifties. I had my eyes "zapped" a couple of years ago and it's one of the best things I've ever done. I still wear specs for reading but distance is no longer a problem - no more itchy eyes and marks on the bridge of my nose.
    Trust me, it's worth saving up for.
    I agree - and there's a thread here about it, got some useful information and experiences on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I agree - and there's a thread here about it, got some useful information and experiences on it.
    thanks for digging that thread up David, it made for interesting reading. I've fancied having this done for a while.. have been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old and frankly I'm fed up of them. However I saw a program on TV about this and saw them cutting the flap of skin off the eye with something looking like a cross between a corkscrew and a plane.. and then noticing how the patient is conscious through the whole procedure.

Perhaps when I'm a wealthier and much much braver man I'll get this done.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    thanks for digging that thread up David, it made for interesting reading. I've fancied having this done for a while.. have been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old and frankly I'm fed up of them. However I saw a program on TV about this and saw them cutting the flap of skin off the eye with something looking like a cross between a corkscrew and a plane.. and then noticing how the patient is conscious through the whole procedure.
    I think the science has advanced a little since then

Perhaps when I'm a wealthier and much much braver man I'll get this done.
    I was definitely having second- and third- and fourth- thoughts whilst waiting for the operation. It's only natural - I mean, it's your eyes

I went to Moorfields - expensive but I'm worth it. About £3K in total. Worth every penny.

Can anyone recommend a good place in Glasgow or Scotland that do "Wavefront" laser treatment? Although my eyes probably don't need this technique, I figure it's the best...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

[QUOTE=DavidY;303691]Ironically I don't think I actually touched Jivebunny's specs until I picked them up off the floor - I think they flew off through centrifugal force* when she span round.

Yeah it was me spinning that ended up with the glasses on the floor, and thanks to David who came to the rescue

i will be dancing tonight in contacts. Nice to no that i am not the only one with a spectacle tale!

I'm far too vain to wear specs outside the house and have a 16 hour a day contact lens habit.

Couldn't possibly dance in specs as I wouldn't be able to see the man's hand without dropping my head (no peripheral vision in specs)

My major incident involved a man's sleeve which brushed the lens out of my eye during a lady's comb. it landed on the floor and was instantly crushed into splinters. That was a very expensive night out. Now I always close my eyes whenever I see any part of a man approaching.

Daisy

(A Shortsighted Little FLower)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    Now I always close my eyes whenever I see any part of a man approaching.

Whaaaaaaat?

nothing my delicate little flower.. just my dirty mind.. again

Pete
    (a perverted little wulf-cub)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    Now I always close my eyes whenever I see any part of a man approaching.

when so see only parts of a man approaching....

I think its a problem of leprosy , as he was probably spinning nearby

Just a mention guys, you're eyes are important, I wouldn't trust a "company" like wavefront to do surgery on your eyes..

If you really want it done, go through the doctor/hospital route.. I think you'll eventually get referred to London..

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Just a mention guys, you're eyes are important, I wouldn't trust a "company" like wavefront to do surgery on your eyes..

If you really want it done, go through the doctor/hospital route.. I think you'll eventually get referred to London..

I would be less s(p)ceptical as I know a work colleague who had his sorted in Southampton after a ( minor adjustment )

My concern is that your eyes up to the age of 20 and after the age of 40 (more markedly) tend to change.
    This means you could look at a revised laser burn after 5 to 15 years or retain moderate eyesight.

Large precriptions can require significant tissue removal and make yourself more suceptable to eye punctures ( never heard of 1 yet though)

Yesterday when out dancing I had my glasses knocked off for the first time. Fortunately my dance partner picked them up for me immediately; I've never seen him wearing spectacles so I think he was just being a gentleman.

But those few seconds were awful as I had no idea where my glasses were, was terrified of them being stood upon and felt hugely vunerable through not being able to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    A word of advice to anyone reading this thread - if you *ever* dance with someone and knock their glasses off your first priority is to pick their glasses up for them.
    A heartfelt !

Thread Information