Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Spectacles Incident

A Spectacles Incident

I normally dance in contact lenses, however last night I had to dance in my glasses as I have ran out of lenses

I have danced the odd time in my glasses but don’t like it as I have to push them up my nose. Last night however was awful , I was dancing with David Y, doing a spin and my glasses flew off into the crowd, now I am blind without my glasses so I panicked, frightened that they would get stood on and smashed, and I would be stranded in a not so nice area of Nottingham unable to see!, David Y came to the rescue and found them, but after that I danced rubbish for the rest of the evening, nervous I think that I would lose them again, I ended up leaving early as to not to put any other guy through my appalling dancing, I went home in a right mood.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a glasses incident?

The Forum Legend

Re: A Spectacles Incident

I can't wear contact lenses at all. So every time I have to dance, I have to wear my glasses.

I wear them very tight, but on the odd occasion, they've still been knocked off. I take a spare pair anytime I go anywhere far away. Just in case.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jivebunny View Post
    Elbowed in the face once during a dance (think it was at the 100 club), which snapped my glasses in two (at the bridge)

Luckily I'm not dependent on them.

Only time I've ever had any problems with mine was doing a team routine- one of the moves was a neck slide down the side of the guy's body (ie girl bending backwards). Caught them every time and was the main reason for me actually going out and buying dailies to use for the latter rehearsals and the performance.

Strangely enough, the backflip that was also in the routine caused no problems at all (with my glasses, anyway).

However, I do sympathise, I'm pretty useless without my glasses (or contacts) and I'd be getting panicky too if they fell off on the dance floor!!

I wear glasses most of the time because I get eye-strain and get lovely head aches.. My eyes aren't that bad, I just get a bit of strain when I try to read without them on, so for dancing, I can take them off..

I usually keep them on during a beginners class cause no spinning is involved.. However when I start to actually have a propper dance, I take them off so I can move freely.. My glasses are very light weight, even one spin from a wurlitzer will send them flying across the room.. So especially when I follow, I take them off but I can lead with them on, which helps when I've got a bit of a headache!

Glitter Queen

A word of advice to anyone reading this thread - if you *ever* dance with someone and knock their glasses off your first priority is to pick their glasses up for them. Remember that you *can see* and the person who was wearing the glasses probably can't and they are very worried about their glasses being trodden on and broken.

The amount of times someone has knocked my glasses off (or I've seen someone elses' knocked off) and the person who did it is just standing there apologising or carries on dancing! Please pick the glasses up first, then apologise later .

You have my sympathies – I can’t see at thing without my lenses or glasses either. I wore lenses for years, but then stopped for a while and couldn’t go back to my old ones. It took me ages to get the prescription right for disposables (about 9 months) and dancing was one of the reasons I persisted – every time I wear my glasses, they get knocked. Never had anything that bad happen to me, but I have almost go bruised a few times. It’s those returns and the guy’s forearm and elbow. The same thing that happens when I wear my hair up – and my head seems to turn into a target for them to aim at…

Blog Entries

ive had an incident when i was dancing with a glasses wearer and the glasses got caught up in my top which was all holes and glitter. We didn't realise they were on my sleeve and looked for about 15mins for the glasses before sombody spotted them hanging off me.

Bloody funny tho. Didn't effect his dancing, he just put them back on and off we went.. mind you, he didn't get so close to me the second time

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    ive had an incident when i was dancing with a glasses wearer and the glasses got caught up in my top which was all holes and glitter. We didn't realise they were on my sleeve and looked for about 15mins for the glasses before sombody spotted them hanging off me.

Bloody funny tho. Didn't effect his dancing, he just put them back on and off we went.. mind you, he didn't get so close to me the second time

Loved to have seen that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Loved to have seen that
    its the first time i could see who was behind me xxxx

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    The amount of times someone has knocked my glasses off (or I've seen someone elses' knocked off) and the person who did it is just standing there apologising or carries on dancing! Please pick the glasses up first, then apologise later .

And complaining about the damage the impact did to your elbow could definitely be taken as a social faux pas...

I have to wear glasses all the time and occasionally they were knocked off when I was dancing. One time at the Guinness Club I ended up diving full length after them through the crowd on the dance floor to catch them (on this basis I thought I should have been picked for the England cricket team!).

Now I just take them off to dance.

I'm actually the opposite. At Greenwich on the Saturday night I danced in my contacts but after a while of reaching for peoples hands.. and missing I switched back to my glasses.

I've only had my glasses knocked off in Ceroc once but I caught them before they hit the ground but I am blind as a bat with either my glasses or contacts off.

I dont wear contacts ever....i wear glasses from the minute i get up to the minute i go to my bed!....fortunately i have never had any problems with my glasses during dancing(touch wood)...i wear them tight on my face....i have on some occasions in a hot hall had to put in certain moves to allow me the chance to discreetly push them back up on my nose...

Rosyth, just over the bridge from Edinburgh

Fortunately it's extremely rare for me to get a bump to my glasses when dancing, but even a bump can be a disaster if it bends them. It's a nightmare getting glasses to fit just right and feel comfortable, when you need to wear them all the time.
    On the other hand, if I get hit anywhere else and my partner starts apologising profusely, my response is, it doesn't matter at all, my body will heal, just don't touch my glasses.
    Allan

Dancing at Camber. Someone knocked my glasses off my head, and they flew into the air. Somehow I managed to reach up and catch them, fold them up into my shirt pocket, all whilst still dancing with my partner, and finished off the track in a half-blind state.

Ya, I was pleased with myself after that.

The Dashing Moderator

I was dancing with David Y, doing a spin and my glasses flew off into the crowd
    Oops!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    A word of advice to anyone reading this thread - if you *ever* dance with someone and knock their glasses off your first priority is to pick their glasses up for them.
    I wear spectacles most of the time myself so I know how it feels - I was looking round as soon as I realised what had happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanMcC View Post
    my body will heal, just don't touch my glasses.
    Ironically I don't think I actually touched Jivebunny's specs until I picked them up off the floor - I think they flew off through centrifugal force* when she span round.

* although this probably should say "centripetal acceleration" or some such.
    Love dance, will travel

My glasses tend to stay on if they're hit, just at a bit of a squiffy angle . Luckily it doesn't happen too often.

Generally I prefer to wear my glasses for weekly classes but put my contacts in for freestyles when I know I'll be spinning more (and the likelyhood of them flying across the floor increases)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles
    A word of advice to anyone reading this thread - if you *ever* dance with someone and knock their glasses off your first priority is to pick their glasses up for them
    I'm blind as a bat without them. Although I'd be more worried if my contacts came out....

to this whole thread. I'm very short-sighted, so don't think I could function without my glasses. Occasionally I wear disposable lenses for a party night, but find contacts too uncomfortable to wear on a regular basis.

:touch wood: I haven't had any major mishaps so far, although I do agree that even a bump can be uncomfortable as it changes the way they sit on your face

Slightly off thread perhaps , but does anyone find that wearing glasses changes the way they make eye contact with their dance partner? I'm so short that I often find myself gazing at my partner over the rims in a rather librarian-like fashion Everyone I've danced with so far has been polite enough not to laugh but I supect I may look ever-so-slightly comical

I don't tend to dance with my glasses on as one spin sends them flying - which is dangerous to me, other dancers and my glasses. My old glasses were worst for this - a simple fast return would send them clear across the room - my new ones aren't so bad - but I am always nervous when wearing them and dislike the lack of peripheral vision

there is one thing worse than flying glasses though - which is a too strong prescription in my contacts - gave me vertigo and made me so dizzy during a teams routine that I ended up nauseous and having to sit down on the floor - thank god I had a spare set of my old prescription with me!

Thread Information