View Poll Results: Will you be buying a Nintendo Wii when they come out?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want one NOW!!!! Gimme gimme gimme!

8 27.59%
  • Yes, but it's just for the kids. Honest!

0 0%
  • I might think about it.

4 13.79%
  • I like games, but I'm not buying this.

6 20.69%
  • No. I don't like games.

3 10.34%
  • No thanks - I'm put off by the name

0 0%
  • Huh?

8 27.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Wii or not to Wii

Commercial Operator

To Wii or not to Wii

As any self-respecting games-loving geek knows, the latest round of Console Wars is just starting to hot up. The 360's been out for a while, the PS3 is speeding its way towards release, and ... the Nintendo Wii is due for release (in the UK) on December the 8th.

For those not in the know, Nintendo have always had a reputation for doing things... a little differently. This time, while their rivals are concerned mostly with producing the most powerful games consoles known to man with the most incredible graphics, sound blah blah blah blah, Nintendo have smugly announced that everyone else has got it wrong, that what's really needed is some original thinking about the way we play games, and how to evolve things in a more useful and entertainment-oriented fashion.... and are trying something quite radically different. And then giving it a truly silly name. (yes, it's pronounced 'wee')**

Anyway - if I actually described what they've done, it'd take all day, and there's lots of places to read about it on the web if, like me, you're geeky enough to be interested. (and if you are, you probably already have. Why am I writing all this? Must be self-indulgence )

Oh yeah. That's it. I thought that in the true spirit of the forum, I'd make a poll to see if anyone else is as sad as me

Needless to say.... I'm getting one.

**Unless you live near Newcastle, when you can call it the Nintendo Wye-aye.***
    ***Or Scotland, when you can legitimately go into a shop and order a 'Wee Nintendo'

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Re: To Wii or not to Wii

I'm thinking about it, very undecided between Xbox 360 and this one. PS3 is definitely too expensive

Definately going to get the PS3 (with the built in Blu-Ray player), so I cannot justify buying the Wii as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Definately going to get the PS3 (with the built in Blu-Ray player), so I cannot justify buying the Wii as well.
    Thanks for the update. Because you know, I was wondering whether Will will Wii...

I'll get me coat...

I think the Wii is the best idea the gaming industries had since "Alex the Kid" it'll put the fun back into games.

I unlike many others, actually like playing with LESS spectacular graphics for a better game, I don't think graphics is what makes a game at all. Unless you're an 8 year old with an over active imagination we're never going to think games are "real", unless we delve into the V-R things but let's not go there right now.. Gettin back to the point, games aren't real, so why try to make them real? Games are just that, entertainment value, I think it's much more important to enjoy the game because of a good plot line, or just because it's fun.. Not because we sit and go.. oooh, pretty graphics..

I love the idea of the controllers, absolute gaming genious, I have a feeling that if anyone gets a Wii, they wont go back to "ordinary" gaming, because it'll be so different.

I'm planning on getting a Wii because they look so much fun! PS3's and XBox's just don't do it for me!

P.S. Geekiness ftw!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Thanks for the update. Because you know, I was wondering whether Will will Wii...
    We will muster the concentration, and we will will Will to Wii, which will make Will Wii, whether Will will Wii or no...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I'll get me coat...
    Can you nab mine, while you're at it?
    Last edited by straycat; 7th-November-2006 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Made it even more horrible...

I've put my name down for a wii too! It looks like a right bunch of fun!! I think Graphics are just getting over hyped. Yeah its nice to have nice graphics but at the end of they day its all about fun! The Wii looks like it will deliver on that!

Side thought: Imagine if you could strap on 2 Wii Controllers to your knees, another 2 to your Upper Arm and attach 2 nunchucks in each hand! You could make some sort of dance game out of that! I dunno i'm just having wacky ideas now!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyA View Post
    I've put my name down for a wii too! It looks like a right bunch of fun!! I think Graphics are just getting over hyped. Yeah its nice to have nice graphics but at the end of they day its all about fun! The Wii looks like it will deliver on that!

Side thought: Imagine if you could strap on 2 Wii Controllers to your knees, another 2 to your Upper Arm and attach 2 nunchucks in each hand! You could make some sort of dance game out of that! I dunno i'm just having wacky ideas now!
    It's those kinds of ideas that made the Wii possible tbh.

erm.. nope.

not really a games console type of guy. I have my old Xbox and that rarely gets used. I'm monumentally bad at computer games

I won't get one initially. I also don't plan on getting one at all but inevitably a game will come out for it that draws me to it and so I'll buy it. I own all the other recent consoles (just got a DS on Sunday) and PC and in many of those cases I've thought "I shan't bother with that console" and then Eternal Darkness comes out on the Cube and off I go to the shops.

Oblivion was my draw to the XBox 360, I figured I'd get out of the PC upgrade race... but now I want to upgrade my PC anyway.

Groovemeister

Wii is on order. I play games on my PC mainly but I am so board with them the lack of imagination does my head in and I loose interest in the games. Just bought Star wars empire at war and have played it about 4 times and turned it off every time because it's nothing new.

I can see the Wii becoming the new boardgame because of the interaction required I hope for me it will make me want to get back into enjoying computer games again.

Xbox is great but only just matches my PC's performance anyway and PS3 is just going to be to exspensive.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by azande View Post
    Mmmmm. That was the review which prompted me to post this poll....

The two N64 Zeldas were among the best games I've ever played - and this one looks set to beat 'em hands down...

It's too bad they're releasing this a month late (late being 'later than suits me') - a new console and copy of Twilight Princess would be the perfect convalescing tool. Oh well. Have to think of a new excuse for December...

Smile Re: To Wii or not to Wii

The Wii looks amazing fun. Games like Wario Ware , Monkey ball, Wii Sports, Zelda all try and make games fun again.

Another good thing is the price. Nintendo have already said they will be making almost no lose on the wii.. where as you ahve Sony with the extremely expensive ps3 and are still making a huge lose on each one.

Also the fact that Nintendo have make it so the cost of developming for the console is alot cheaper an not the £20 million & 5 years needed for each game.

Long live the Nintendo Revolution

Also azande thanks for the linke to the review of zelda not read that one

(My first post completed )

Quote Originally Posted by knightengale View Post
    The Wii looks amazing fun. Games like Wario Ware , Monkey ball, Wii Sports, Zelda all try and make games fun again.
    Well for me games never stopped being fun. I enjoyed the squabbling that went with a lot of the party games I had for the GameCube, I'm sure I'll look forward to that as well.

Another good thing is the price. Nintendo have already said they will be making almost no lose on the wii.. where as you ahve Sony with the extremely expensive ps3 and are still making a huge lose on each one.
    Well that's not really a good thing for us (unless you are worried about the company going bust) but I remember an outcry when gamers were told that Nintendo were selling the Wii at profit and people were saying it was showing that they had a lack of commitment to the console. It just sounds like good business practice to me.

However I'm not convinced about the attached for the Wiimote but then, unlike the original suggests, it looks the they probably won't be as required as first thought (ok I couldn't resist linking to that).

(My first post completed )
    Welcome to the forum .

Because we are in the geek corner... unpacking the Wii!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by azande View Post
    Because we are in the geek corner... unpacking the Wii!

(although that may just be the drugs talking)

And part two, Interface and Games

Part three, Zelda in-depth
    and
    Part four, Excite Truck in-depth

I'm still wondering whether to get a PS2...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information