View Poll Results: Will you be buying a Nintendo Wii when they come out?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want one NOW!!!! Gimme gimme gimme!

8 27.59%
  • Yes, but it's just for the kids. Honest!

0 0%
  • I might think about it.

4 13.79%
  • I like games, but I'm not buying this.

6 20.69%
  • No. I don't like games.

3 10.34%
  • No thanks - I'm put off by the name

0 0%
  • Huh?

8 27.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To Wii or not to Wii

Re: To Wii or not to Wii

No doubt someone will try and get this sorted so it is a contender - it would be a feasible replacement for the tried-and-tested mouse and keyboard combo (if that's the way you're inclined)

Quote Originally Posted by andystyle View Post
    No doubt someone will try and get this sorted so it is a contender - it would be a feasible replacement for the tried-and-tested mouse and keyboard combo (if that's the way you're inclined)
    I'm sure they will get it sorted.

I'm not convinced about it being a contender against mouse and keyboard for FPSs though. As the cursor always remains in the centre of your view (that is that the target tends to appear at the infinity point on your perspective) then the Wiimote would move the whole of the character around when it moved (rather than being a point on the screen it aims at). I'm not convinced I'd have the accuracy I want with it. Point and click with it on RTSs and such could be cool though.

Whether it comes on PC or not, I'd still consider getting a Wii. I mean, you have the two controllers - can you imagine how satisfying it would be to have a 'proper' fight with sword and shield?
    Last edited by andystyle; 15th-January-2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typo. I seem to make a lot of these...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    I'm not convinced about it being a contender against mouse and keyboard for FPSs though. As the cursor always remains in the centre of your view (that is that the target tends to appear at the infinity point on your perspective) then the Wiimote would move the whole of the character around when it moved (rather than being a point on the screen it aims at). I'm not convinced I'd have the accuracy I want with it. Point and click with it on RTSs and such could be cool though.
    Accuracy will certainly not be a problem for FPS games - you just need a slightly different aiming mechanic - namely the cursor is be able to roam the screen. Moving it near the edges of the screen will cause the view to move. The tough part to get right there is to balance between the player turning when they're just trying to point... vs not getting quick enough rates of turn. Apparently, Red Steel does suffer from the latter problem, while the upcoming Metroid Prime III has that one sorted.

From playing Zelda though, i can testify that using the wiimote as an aiming device gives you absolute pinpoint accuracy - it's streets ahead of using a mouse.

Overall, I'd say the Wii has exceeded my expectations. it's amazing fun, especially with a group of friends - and I have had quite a few friends who weren't into computer games in the slightest playing and loving it....

Highly recommended.

*sighs*

I'm trying to save money...that didn't help!

Groovemeister

I've got a Wii shoulder from playing baseball and Tennis. I have brought a number of games but the sports games(other than Zelda) it comes with is the one I play the most.

Wii play is a bit of a waste of time other than getting the free controller.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Groovemeister View Post
    I've got a Wii shoulder from playing baseball and Tennis. I have brought a number of games but the sports games(other than Zelda) it comes with is the one I play the most.

Wii play is a bit of a waste of time other than getting the free controller.
    Funnily enough, I bought Wii Play... and (other than making serious use of the extra controller) I haven't touched it. Sports - only played it with friends, but we're finding tennis & bowling incredibly addictive.

And yeah - most of the time's been spent on Zelda, which one of the best games I've ever played...

So the Wii's good then? I'll have to see about getting one.. in about 10 years 2nd hand on eBAY or something

Thread Information