Thread: I don't like fireworks, and neither does my dog...

I don't like fireworks, and neither does my dog...

I hate this time of year!

Why?

Well, I'm not a big fan of fireworks. I do love watching the big public displays, but I really hate the noise! I just do not like loud sounds and big bangs. I also do not like the fact that stupid children and equally stupid (mostly drunk) adults play with potentially lethal fireworks, putting themselves and others at risk.

Yeah, I know, I sound like a right MOG! But...

Last night I was at a party, an early Bonfire Night party (and barbeque!), and there were rather a lot of fireworks. And alcohol. I thought most of the fireworks were quite boring - lots of bangs, but not really much else. It seemed like some of the guys thought the same, because some bright (??) person decided to tape two rockets together, to see what would happen. All of a sudden it seemed to turn into some kind of competition, and all the guys tried crazier and crazier combinations - makeshift Catherine wheels with rockets strapped to them, three rockets of various sizes strapped together and lit at the same time, etc....

Of course, most of the time things didn't quite go as planned. One rocket would take off, and the second would take off whilst in mid-air, strapped to the first one, and get shot off at an angle, hitting the neighbours roof, where it went off with a massive bang. Another creation went off on an angle, heading straight for us, exploding by the wall of the house. It was pretty crazy.

Fortunately the worst thing that happened was that a girl got a spark from one of the fireworks in her eye. I don't think the neighbour's roof caught fire, (unlike my neighbour's house in Norway, New Years eve many years ago, because of drunk idiots playing with fireworks again!).... I'm amazed that nobody in the neighbourhood called the police!

The other reason why I really don't like fireworks much, is that my dog is petrified of them, to the degree of having actual panic attacks! I can't go dancing tonight, because of this. She was absolutely fine for the first couple of years I had her, but two years ago, someone set off fireworks on both sides of my flat. My windows were literally rattling, and I'm sure some fireworks exploded in my garden, and on the roof. My dog was shaking, hyperventilating, and hardly even responded when I tried to get her attention. I really thought she was about to have a heart attack!

This year I've got diazepam (valium) for her, the poor thing... Tomorrow night I shall sit at home with a very doped up pooch!

So, what do other people think? Have anyone had any nasty experiences with fireworks? Do you have pets who panic as much as my mutt? Or are you secretly a bit of a pyromaniac, and love it??

Blog Entries

Re: I don't like fireworks, and neither does my dog...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I hate this time of year!

Why?

Well, I'm not a big fan of fireworks. I do love watching the big public displays, but I really hate the noise! I just do not like loud sounds and big bangs. I also do not like the fact that stupid children and equally stupid (mostly drunk) adults play with potentially lethal fireworks, putting themselves and others at risk.

Yeah, I know, I sound like a right MOG! But...

Last night I was at a party, an early Bonfire Night party (and barbeque!), and there were rather a lot of fireworks. And alcohol. I thought most of the fireworks were quite boring - lots of bangs, but not really much else. It seemed like some of the guys thought the same, because some bright (??) person decided to tape two rockets together, to see what would happen. All of a sudden it seemed to turn into some kind of competition, and all the guys tried crazier and crazier combinations - makeshift Catherine wheels with rockets strapped to them, three rockets of various sizes strapped together and lit at the same time, etc....

Of course, most of the time things didn't quite go as planned. One rocket would take off, and the second would take off whilst in mid-air, strapped to the first one, and get shot off at an angle, hitting the neighbours roof, where it went off with a massive bang. Another creation went off on an angle, heading straight for us, exploding by the wall of the house. It was pretty crazy.

Fortunately the worst thing that happened was that a girl got a spark from one of the fireworks in her eye. I don't think the neighbour's roof caught fire, (unlike my neighbour's house in Norway, New Years eve many years ago, because of drunk idiots playing with fireworks again!).... I'm amazed that nobody in the neighbourhood called the police!

The other reason why I really don't like fireworks much, is that my dog is petrified of them, to the degree of having actual panic attacks! I can't go dancing tonight, because of this. She was absolutely fine for the first couple of years I had her, but two years ago, someone set off fireworks on both sides of my flat. My windows were literally rattling, and I'm sure some fireworks exploded in my garden, and on the roof. My dog was shaking, hyperventilating, and hardly even responded when I tried to get her attention. I really thought she was about to have a heart attack!

This year I've got diazepam (valium) for her, the poor thing... Tomorrow night I shall sit at home with a very doped up pooch!

So, what do other people think? Have anyone had any nasty experiences with fireworks? Do you have pets who panic as much as my mutt? Or are you secretly a bit of a pyromaniac, and love it??
    they should ban all private use of fireworks and only allow public displays on firework night only.

When you have young kids, the weeks before and after firework night seem to prompt all type of moran who feels the need to set off the biggest banger and when i say banger i mean thats literally what they do, just bang, off at some ridiculous hour and wake up the whole house.

i hate them, i hate it that people can buy them willy nilly and your explanation of what went on last night at your party just goes to show how easily quite normal sane people can turn into inconsiderate bafoons. Somebody could have been seriously hurt and im surprised they were not.

here is hoping that not too many people are hurt and injured this weekend but we all know that casualty will be full and many a person will be permanantly damaged in some way. And what for.....there is not an answer.

Oh, I forgot to say - when the idiots at the party became too 'experimental', I went to hide inside....... I was too scared to be outside any more!

Don't think I'll be going to that party again (it's an annual thing).

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    ...here is hoping that not too many people are hurt and injured this weekend but we all know that casualty will be full and many a person will be permanantly damaged in some way. And what for.....there is not an answer.
    Anglia news last night carried a report that the world famous Kimbolton Fireworks were going to be sued over an accident at Wickstead Park in Kettering. I have to believe that that announcement was timed by the aggrieved to do the maximum damage. The first effects were seen moments later. Later on in the news they were announcing some of the big fireworks events in the region and the announcement ran "given by the company that organised the display for ...".
    Kimbolton Fireworks have had a long term relationship with Bedford Rugby club, and we get some of the most stupendous displays outside of the major towns every year. It occurs about 100 yards from my house, and was absolutely magnificent. But I too could not help thinking about the human cost afterwards.

Blog Entries

Nobody will be able to give an answer as to why we do this every year at the cost of others. Public displays that need health and safety checks should only be allowed and thats it. until that happens,, the deaths, disfigurements will continue and its unacceptable.

Blog Entries

Just got back from taking my kids to an organised display at one of the local dance venues (which happens to be owned by Norwich Union). Because we did a quick display there, I got us in for £5 and it was one of the most impressive displays I've seen in many years. All organised and run by a pyrotechnics company, all safe and everyone happy.
    If I'd done one at home, it would have cost 10 times more, there would have been risks and I wouldn't have got to have a dance!

Last night I took my 2 year old to her first ever bonfire & fireworks on a local beach. The display was organised by the village association, was free & the fireworks going off over the water were amazing

I don't understand why anyone takes the risk of fireworks at home when the organised displays are so much better.

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

My dog hates them too, he barks & runs around like a loony. He thinks we are being attacked or something. It's not just one night it starts the week before & goes on for another week. They should only be allowed on the one night, regardless of whether it is a private or public event.

I do like fireworks, well displayed, well organised. I do NOT like brats with bangers.

Perhaps fireworks should be for professional use only. The problem is that people can and will make their own if they cannot buy them retail and that really brings a new dimension to the hazards.

As a child and teenager, fireworks were illegal in NI except for public displays and now you are supposed to have a licence to buy them I think. Though I'm sure a lot of people don't.

Our fireworks are held at Halloween - on Tues night I could see about 10 displays at any one time most of the evening - but all in the distance, there didn't seem to be that many actually near my area.

I like big public displays, there's one I usually go to on the north coast in July - out over the sea, all properly done (and nice mild weather to stand outside and watch them in). But I don't like people doing their own - too much risk of serious accidents.

And yes, I feel sorry for the pets - our dog hated them as well, though when she was older and bit deaf they didn't bother her so much. We never had to dope her but we did stay in, with the curtains drawn and TV on loud to distract her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    you are supposed to have a licence to buy them
    I meant sell them.

Note to self - don't post when distracted.

My poor dog has spent the past few weeks in hiding after dark. We have fireworks from October onwards because of Dewali. She even gets upset if there are fireworks on the TV. Today she went under our bed at 4pm and hasn't come out, not even for a roast chicken supper.

She was just over a year old when a group of idiots set off a box of rockets in the park where my husband was walking her. The rockets came horizontally across the park and exploded within feet of them. Since then she has been very wary of any type of loud bang. She wouldn't leave the driveway this afternoon because some children were playing football in the road and the ball was thumping against brick walls.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_warwick View Post
    My poor dog has spent the past few weeks in hiding after dark. We have fireworks from October onwards because of Dewali. She even gets upset if there are fireworks on the TV. Today she went under our bed at 4pm and hasn't come out, not even for a roast chicken supper.

She was just over a year old when a group of idiots set off a box of rockets in the park where my husband was walking her. The rockets came horizontally across the park and exploded within feet of them. Since then she has been very wary of any type of loud bang. She wouldn't leave the driveway this afternoon because some children were playing football in the road and the ball was thumping against brick walls.
    Oh dear, that sounds so much like my dog! She'll panic if you slam the lid on the bin, now, or if she hears a football thumping, just like your poor dog. I had to coax my dog out in the garden at 4.30 to do her business. Just as she was about to do something, there was a loud bang, and I had to lure her out again, and sweet-talk her, and try to distract her, so that she could do what she needed to do.

I gave her diazepam at about 5pm, and after that she's been very woozy and wobbly, but definitely not so scared and panicy! Great stuff! But now she keeps walking into things instead.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Oh dear, that sounds so much like my dog! She'll panic if you slam the lid on the bin, now, or if she hears a football thumping, just like your poor dog. I had to coax my dog out in the garden at 4.30 to do her business. Just as she was about to do something, there was a loud bang, and I had to lure her out again, and sweet-talk her, and try to distract her, so that she could do what she needed to do.

I gave her diazepam at about 5pm, and after that she's been very woozy and wobbly, but definitely not so scared and panicy! Great stuff! But now she keeps walking into things instead.....
    awww poor little thing,, it must be a nightmare. My dog does not mind them at all, its me that needs the diazepam..

Quote Originally Posted by janey View Post
    Last night I took my 2 year old to her first ever bonfire & fireworks on a local beach. The display was organised by the village association, was free & the fireworks going off over the water were amazing

I don't understand why anyone takes the risk of fireworks at home when the organised displays are so much better.
    It really was good!

A whole year of effin' dogs barking at night, dodging dog crap on the pavements - I had my own display in the back garden tonight - PAYBACK time !!!
    I hope I scared the crap out of all the neighbour's furry little pooches ;o)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    its me that needs the diazepam..
    Yeah, you're not kidding you do!

Thread Information