Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reputation Comments

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Reputation Comments

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    i think i might go silver membership or whatever you call it so that reps cant be posted anonymously. I dont like that at all. Its not nice and unnecessary in my opinion. It could be used as a form of bullying. Great that you can rep somebody but not anonymously. Having read a lot of past threads there are plenty of idiots on here who could cause upset to people with anonymous reps.
    One of the new benefits of silver membership is you can see who gave you rep (+ve and -ve). Go, on, splash out, you tightwad, it's only £20 a year

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Is there no way that the moderators can monitor who gives out neg rep? As it is sent on the system then is there any record at all?
    I really don't think this is something the moderators should get involved in, that way lies madness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    One of the new benefits of silver membership is you can see who gave you rep (+ve and -ve). Go, on, splash out, you tightwad, it's only £20 a year

I really don't think this is something the moderators should get involved in, that way lies madness.
    that much eh!!! are you silver member then DJ.???

Anyway on your second point i agree, it cant possibily be monitored as it could turn into world war three, it should be removed completely in my opinion or not allowed to be done anonymously.

Blog Entries

that much eh!!! are you silver member then DJ.???

Anyway on your second point i agree, it cant possibily be monitored as it could turn into world war three, it should be removed completely in my opinion or not allowed to be done anonymously.
    I've splashed out my hard-earned dosh, yes - you can tell who the paying punters are, they're the ones in bold.

As for anonymous rep - to be fair, it's not designed that way, it's just that non-paying-members don't get to see who sent any rep. It's possible that your comment wasn't meant to be anonymous, but the person just forgot to sign it.

I should probably have added 'if it is something offensive rather than just a comment.' I have no idea how many negative comments are made, but if every one was queried then it would take up a lot of time.

Is there no way that the moderators can monitor who gives out neg rep? As it is sent on the system then is there any record at all?
    Last I checked, all rep comments/senders are visible to the moderators, and the senders are stored such that if somone decides to splash out on silver membership then they get to see the senders of past reputation comments.

I'm feeling lazy, so I'll let other people express my opinion for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    online strop for neg rep? If I saw that, I'd neg rep them for a laff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Mmm...a standing rule that any post moaning about neg rep is fair game for neg repping by everyone would be interesting.

The Forum Legend

Yes they can.

And what would they do with it pray tell?

The Forum Legend

Well, to improve your power a point:
    Reputation Total: 56 - so only 1,194 to go

Stick to posting in the intermediates corner, that's my tip (you get double points there, it's like a Clubcard thing)
    Yeah. That improves the 'power'. But wasn't the question about the little green boxes (though, I will admit that trouble seemed to be a little confused in the question)?

Power, and the number of little green boxes are different things. Power is as DJ said above. The number of little green boxes you have depends totally on the amount of rep you have received.....

Blog Entries

As for anonymous rep - to be fair, it's not designed that way, it's just that non-paying-members don't get to see who sent any rep. It's possible that your comment wasn't meant to be anonymous, but the person just forgot to sign it.
    Or maybe the person can't be arsed with signing it, in the same way that some people can't be arsed with paying for certain privileges?

I can't help thinking, though, that if someone having problems with negative rep, maybe the issue is with them, rather than the system?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I can't help thinking, though, that if someone having problems with negative rep, maybe the issue is with them, rather than the system?
    It's a system that's open for abuse - that's the point. It allows anonymous negative communications. And if (for example) you're a woman, you really don't want that sort of thing, it's like a poison-pen letter.

I know of one person who's received such a communication, just recently, and it upset them.

Honestly, I reckon it'd be easiest just to remove the anonymity aspect from rep comments - that way you don't have to rely on people to sign comments or whatever.

Blog Entries

Or maybe the person can't be arsed with signing it, in the same way that some people can't be arsed with paying for certain privileges?

Absolutely agree with you but,, my one neg rep was sent saying ~~ DONT LIKE SWEARING~~ and i had not sworn. it took me too a thread that showed Fu5k in the middle of something i had written but thats not swearing is it. Now my point was that if i was shy or a little unconfident, that could have knocked me sideways as it was anonymous and pretty pointless. I dont think there is a need for it at all.

Blog Entries

Absolutely agree with you but,, my one neg rep was sent saying ~~ DONT LIKE SWEARING~~ and i had not sworn. it took me too a thread that showed Fu5k in the middle of something i had written but thats not swearing is it. Now my point was that if i was shy or a little unconfident, that could have knocked me sideways as it was anonymous and pretty pointless. I dont think there is a need for it at all.
    I'm not saying you deserved the neg rep, I don't know the exact situation, but really swearing is about how you intended it, not the words you use. It's quite clear what Fu5k was meant to mean (unless I've read it wrong too). Mis-spelling a word so it'll get through the censors is still swearing.

Blog Entries

It's a system that's open for abuse - that's the point. It allows anonymous negative communications. And if (for example) you're a woman, you really don't want that sort of thing, it's like a poison-pen letter.

I know of one person who's received such a communication, just recently, and it upset them.

Honestly, I reckon it'd be easiest just to remove the anonymity aspect from rep comments - that way you don't have to rely on people to sign comments or whatever.
    Me too. I suspect it was the same recipient, and I agree with you. Remove anonymity from rep and Profiles. If you don't have the courage to let people know who you are, then you should just stay quiet.

The Forum Legend

I'm not saying you deserved the neg rep, I don't know the exact situation, but really swearing is about how you intended it, not the words you use. It's quite clear what Fu5k was meant to mean (unless I've read it wrong too). Mis-spelling a word so it'll get through the censors is still swearing.

Blog Entries

and??? - i didn't write it out, it was not meant in a horrible way, i wasn't directing it at anybody,, still think it was unnecessary to send a neg rep in my opinion, blimey if somebody did that everytime somebody wrote a swear word there would be neg reps all over the place.

Blog Entries

and??? - i didn't write it out, it was not meant in a horrible way, i wasn't directing it at anybody,, still think it was unnecessary to send a neg rep in my opinion, blimey if somebody did that everytime somebody wrote a swear word there would be neg reps all over the place.
    I wasn't saying that you were wrong to fekkin use it or that I agree with the tw@ that sent the bl00dy neg rep, just that Fu5K is still fu5king swearing.

I think some of us would be in negative figures for rep if we got neg rep every time we swore!

Blog Entries

Ah, you've never been Harpered then?

So, just to clarify, 'coz I'm confused - is it the fact of getting neg rep, or the anonymity of it, that you don't like?

"Neg rep" as such is not necessarily bad - although it's generally misused. It's like flashing your lights when driving - can be useful (e.g. to tell a driver "you forgot to turn your lights on"), but generally it's used too aggressively IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Yes they can.

And what would they do with it pray tell?
    Well i did attempt to clarify this when david james replied earlier

I should probably have added 'if it is something offensive rather than just a comment.' I have no idea how many negative comments are made, but if every one was queried then it would take up a lot of time.
    As for what they do with it when it is used offensively, it would (IMHO) depend on the situation

Blog Entries

Yes, (for example) I'm a woman.

Don't tell me, they felt sooooo abused...?

But they're not anonymous for those people who pay. And that's The Point.

The Forum Legend

Don't tell me, they felt sooooo abused...?
    I think it's more violated!

Blog Entries

But they're not anonymous for those people who pay. And that's The Point.
    But the problem is that you needn't identify yourself in your profile, so whether people can see your online identity or not, you can remain anonymous.

Thread Information