Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Technique in Beginners lesson?

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Technique in Beginners lesson?

As ducasi pointed out, given that the Ceroc DVD has 12 routines, it'd be strange to talk about 6 weeks at one lesson a week being enough for a beginner. I've never heard that in the last 3 years.

One thing we (Claire and I) started doing at JJ's - which probably goes on elsewhere too - we split the taxi refresher class up according to experience. So the newbies in their first four or so lessons go with taxi dancer X, the others go with Y. We don't set out to do the refresher class any differently for each group, but inevitably they diverge.
    The more experienced group are much more prepared to ask questions, since they've begun to think about their dancing. Plus, they are beginning to join the dots of the moves a bit quicker, so there is more time to look at details. You can even risk mentioning words like frame without scaring them off (if they've got to their 5th lesson, I think it's safe to say they're willing to learn...)
    Conversely, the early group are still joining those dots, so you know to avoid "the science bit" and just focus on getting them moving.

I think we both feel this makes the refresher more useful/enjoyable for the beginners, and it makes things easier for us too.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    And the rest of Ceroc-land. Some isolated parts of the UK may have not caught up yet...

I expect there's a reason why there are 12 different beginner routines taught across the UK, and shown on the Ceroc beginner's DVD.
    Fair enough, my little corner of London must be just a little hard for news to get to

Seriously though, it's likely that regardless what the party line actually is there is a fair bit of variety between the franchises if they even mention it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    It may be famous on the forum, but I'm not sure it's famous anywhere else. I've certainly not heard it once at any beginner's class I've been to over the last six months.
    I've heard it at the end of virtually every beginners class I've been present at in my local area, by teachers who are not very active on the forum. I *think* I've heard it at a couple of central venues as well, but haven't been to enough of them to really say one way or the other.

*NZ Monkey shrugs*

Either way I think we can agree that beginners don't stay in the beginner classes for long. As to whether they should...that's a whole other debate.
    Edit: I should point out that I think 12 weeks is much more reasonable if it's stuck to.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    It's there - just sufficiently covert to need some sensitivity to detect it
    Call me crazy, but I'd have thought teaching that was a little more overt may be a little more accessible. Again, leave the big sticks at home and make sure everyone’s having a good time, but more overt would be more useful in my opinion
    Last edited by NZ Monkey; 3rd-November-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    It'd be strange to talk about 6 weeks at one lesson a week being enough for a beginner
    http://www.ceroc.com/nonmembers/whathappens.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ceroc.com
    We normally recommend that it takes about 5 or 6 beginners classes to master the basic moves and feel comfortable to join in at Intermediate level.

Going back to what Stewart said.I have to agree with the way it is taught in JJs maybe because I myself go there,but as a brand new taxi dancer myself I dont think you should teach to much technique just more of the basic move.Ultimately you should try to make it as much fun as you can because im sure thats what brings people back.(FUN NOT SERIOUS).

And as someone else said after 5 lessons you can be sure they enjoy it and are willing to learn more.I know I did

Thread Information