View Poll Results: Is the forum too heated in your opinion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, too hot!

14 30.43%
  • No, could do with more heat!

2 4.35%
  • It's just fine as it is.

28 60.87%
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

2 4.35%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum "temperature"

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Forum "temperature"

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    You could, however, point out in a non-emotive fashion what's wrong with what they're saying
    True, and that's why I don't post personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    What if what you think is that the other person is a brainless dolt who shouldn't be allowed within fifty feet of a keyboard? How can you say that, without making it sound "personal"?
    If they truly are a "brainless dolt", then nothing you say will make a difference, so it's better not to bother.

If they have any sort of brain (and most of us have, along with feelings), I'm sure they'd prefer to hear your opinion on why they are mistaken in their beliefs, without needing you to get personal.

Here's a couple of phrases which so many folks around here would do well to practice...

"I believe you are mistaken, because ..."

"That's an interesting point of view, but I think ..."

Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    Errrr... from a newbies (to this forum) perspective this thread seems to be fairly argumentative and we are only discussing whether this forum is becoming too 'hot'.

I know I'm too new here to comment on historical incidents for you long term people on this forum, but I'm very keen on meeting some new people here and being nice and so forth.

I mean I work along the lines of if I have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.
    BORING.....!
    Maybe so, but I have chocolate eclairs.

True, and that's why I don't post personal attacks.
    30 secs on the Search engine came up with this

You simply haven't got a clue about who is actually using which statistics, and how. Please - credit somebody, somewhere in the universe with some intelligence, apart from you.
    Which goes back to my original point that different people seem to have widely varying ideas about what is acceptable and the possible need to draw a clearer line
    Last edited by Ghost; 2nd-November-2006 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    That isn't a personal attack. What is wrong with you today Ghost? You're being argumentative and un necessarily obnoxious.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    And this

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    That isn't a personal attack. What is wrong with you today Ghost? You're being argumentative and un necessarily obnoxious.
    Sorry you typed too fast - I editted my post while you were posting

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    And this
    That isn't a personal attack either, purely fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    And this
    Good catch!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    True, but there are things said on the Forum that people wouldn't dare say to someone face to face.
    There are?
    I wouldn't say anything behind someone's back or on-line that I wouldn't be prepared to say to their face.
    Mind you, if I know I'm unlikely to ever meet them...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoy intelligent debate and I can see that sometimes there's a fine line between, saying exactly what one really feels and being insulting. It depends on which side your viewing the comment from.

e.g. if someone reviews a venue and it comes off less favourably, the venue manager 'might' see that as a personal attack. Someone else might see it as very informative. In an ideal world the venue manager would come on here and either defend his case, explaining the situation and if need be, take onboard the criticism and rectify the problems. Then report back again and receive his well deserved pat on the back!

Back to the heated forum debates....Unfortunately, it takes a degree of intelligence and education to be able to articulate exactly what one means, without causing too much offence and the same applies to being able to comprehend what 'other's' mean in such debates. Sadly, we have a very wide spectrum of intellect on here

The other thing is, we all appreciate wit but not always in the same form...Some people's idea of 'wit' comes in the form of short outbursts of profanities and playful insults to one's mates...other people hate it!!

We all react differently!

Some people get riled up and take the bait, some choose to roll their eyes at it and move on.

My position 'IS' a difficult one, as I don't feel I would be justified in imposing 'my own' set of values on this forum, I think it would be extremely narrow minded but if given direction and informed that people have become offended, I WILL do something about it!

The saddest thing is when people just leave or stop posting, without even telling us they've been unhappy about something, we're not mind readers!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I Back to the heated forum debates....Unfortunately, it takes a degree of intelligence and education to be able to articulate exactly what one means, without causing too much offence and the same applies to being able to comprehend what 'other's' mean in such debates. Sadly, we have a very wide spectrum of intellect on here
    Gosh!

To highlight that i feel is a little demeaning.

Should we now start a remedial section of the forum?

Who would be headmaster, who the admission clerk

I enjoy intelligent debate and I can see that sometimes there's a fine line between, saying exactly what one really feels and being insulting. It depends on which side your viewing the comment from.

e.g. if someone reviews a venue and it comes off less favourably, the venue manager 'might' see that as a personal attack. Someone else might see it as very informative. In an ideal world the venue manager would come on here and either defend his case, explaining the situation and if need be, take onboard the criticism and rectify the problems. Then report back again and receive his well deserved pat on the back!

Back to the heated forum debates....Unfortunately, it takes a degree of intelligence and education to be able to articulate exactly what one means, without causing too much offence and the same applies to being able to comprehend what 'other's' mean in such debates. Sadly, we have a very wide spectrum of intellect on here

The other thing is, we all appreciate wit but not always in the same form...Some people's idea of 'wit' comes in the form of short outbursts of profanities and playful insults to one's mates...other people hate it!!

We all react differently!

Some people get riled up and take the bait, some choose to roll their eyes at it and move on.

My position 'IS' a difficult one, as I don't feel I would be justified in imposing 'my own' set of values on this forum, I think it would be extremely narrow minded but if given direction and informed that people have become offended, I WILL do something about it!

The saddest thing is when people just leave or stop posting, without even telling us they've been unhappy about something, we're not mind readers!
    You wrote "Sadly, we have a very wide spectrum of intellect on here".

There's nothing sad about that, even if it is true.

Maybe we should all take a test before we join & you can vet us all to see if we meet your expectations.

Being abusive has nothing to do with intellect. You either speak your mind or you don't.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry That was my very weak attempt at humour
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Sorry That was my very weak attempt at humour
    Hilarious.....There goes another rib...!

Of all the messages I've read today, your last one was more offensive and narrow minded than all the others put together, you even managed to pretend you hadn't meant it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Gosh!

To highlight that i feel is a little demeaning.
    Well, if you can't take the heat...

Commercial Operator

There's nothing sad about that, even if it is true.
    Taken in context, this was an intentionally funny remark. Taking it more seriously though - it means something quite different from: "some people are intelligent, and others not" - it means that different people perceive the same things in different ways.

Maybe we should all take a test before we join & you can vet us all to see if we meet your expectations.
    Back when I joined, there was a four hour exam before you could gain membership (though there was a cut-down two and a half hour version if you could present your Ceroc membership card). I wasn't aware that things had changed that much - are you saying Franck's removed that requirement completely?

Being abusive has nothing to do with intellect.
    True.
    You either speak your mind or you don't.
    It has nothing to do with that either. You can speak your mind, even when very angry with someone, without being abusive.

Of all the messages I've read today, your last one was more offensive and narrow minded than all the others put together, you even managed to pretend you hadn't meant it to be.
    Knowing Lory, it probably wasn't meant to be any of that. Lory is the least narrow minded and offensive person I've met!

Commercial Operator

Well - at least that'll give you something useful to say on the NHS thread

And yet I found it open-minded, well expressed, and generous, which nicely illustrates some of the points people have made about different perceptions.

I take no issue at your finding the post offensive, but what you do here is accuse Lory of being intentionally offensive, rather than allowing for the fact that the offense you felt might not have been intended on her part.

Commercial Operator

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever met Lory?!?

My dear Double Trouble.

Welcome to the forum. I hope that within your next 40 or so posts, you will gain more insight than you have with the first 40.

There are many types of people on the forum. There are many life experiences, intellects, cretinous points of view and closed minds that have contributed over the piece. I look forward to discovering where exactly, your inputs will lie...

Yours,

CJ.
    P.S. A wise lady once wrote that what we see, and what troubles us, in other people, we would do well to look at ourselves and see what it is, and why

Thread Information