View Poll Results: Is the forum too heated in your opinion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, too hot!

14 30.43%
  • No, could do with more heat!

2 4.35%
  • It's just fine as it is.

28 60.87%
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

2 4.35%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum "temperature"

Re: Forum "temperature"

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    I'm not really worried about a bit of bad language. It's just a language deficiency on the part of the person posting, rather than anything else
    Pointless bad language bores me rather than offends me.
    So... I guess I should neg-rep it rather than report it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Ok how about posts 14,38, 39, and 49 on this thread?

Before I upset Witty et al, no I didn't take offence , but as Shodan pointed out they do come across as unnecessarily arguementative. I'm interested in whether the Moderators feel they need to be moderated seeing as that's the essence of this thread.
    Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. You couldn't upset me in any way, shape or form.

In no way were any of those posts, argumentative or horrible. I think you're being way to sensitive.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Pointless bad language bores me rather than offends me.
    So... I guess I should neg-rep it rather than report it.
    We all thought that you did already!!

I really don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool, and prevented climbing trees, or going outside after dark, or any of the other things that kids don't seem to be able to do today. Especially now I'm an adult.
    True, but there are things said on the Forum that people wouldn't dare say to someone face to face. If such things had been said in public it could very quickly lead to semething un pleasant kicking off ... so why should it be tolerated here? I fully aknowledge its sometimes difficult to draw a line but becasue we are 'adults' that doesn't excuse us from our social obligations of respect and manners ... in fact quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. You couldn't upset me in any way, shape or form.
    Good to know
    In no way were any of those posts, argumentative or horrible.
    And I took them in the context they were intended.

But they can be read as being argumentative (horrible is a bit strong, but certainly rude) as without smilies they can be taken at face value.

There's a big difference to me between

BORING!!!!

and

BORING!!!

I think you're being way to sensitive.
    And you may well be right - which is why I'm interested in where the Moderators feel the boundaries should lie. There's also the simple question of how many other sensitive types are on the Forum who don't post because of remarks they view as being overly hostile.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    True, but there are things said on the Forum that people wouldn't dare say to someone face to face. If such things had been said in public it could very quickly lead to semething un pleasant kicking off ... so why should it be tolerated here?
    Precisely because unlike in public, it won't lead to something unpleasant kicking off. You can actually say what you think, without artificial constraints.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    True, but there are things said on the Forum that people wouldn't dare say to someone face to face. If such things had been said in public it could very quickly lead to semething un pleasant kicking off ... so why should it be tolerated here? I fully aknowledge its sometimes difficult to draw a line but becasue we are 'adults' that doesn't excuse us from our social obligations of respect and manners ... in fact quite the opposite.
    I agree. And the next line of my post which you didn't quote, said that there have been things on the forum that I have thought should have been moderated. And most have been.

But I don't want the forum to turn (back?) into a lovey, dovey place, where everyone is just 'nice' to everyone else, and there's no real interesting discussion....

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    Precisely because unlike in public, it won't lead to something unpleasant kicking off. You can actually say what you think, without artificial constraints.
    It's one thing to "say what you think", it's quite another for it to be used as a licence to attack people.

Society needs rules. People are always going to rub each other up the wrong way, that's just life. Ettiquette helps smooth things over. If it comes down to whoever has the sharpest wit is "right", well then I hope they're an excellent dancer and give good advice.

Blog Entries

Ok how about posts 14,38, 39, and 49 on this thread?
    I + repped at least one of those posts as I thought the author made a good point (but I'm not sensitive to swe@r1ng!).

There's also the simple question of how many other sensitive types are on the Forum who don't post because of remarks they view as being overly hostile.
    Ahh.. but they can comfort themselves with the thought that one day they'll inherit the Earth.

But I don't want the forum to turn (back?) into a lovey, dovey place, where everyone is just 'nice' to everyone else, and there's no real interesting discussion....
    Is it not possible to be nice *and* interesting?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Most people on this forum who try to both fail in at least one of them.

It's one thing to "say what you think", it's quite another for it to be used as a licence to attack people.
    What if what you think is that the other person is a brainless dolt who shouldn't be allowed within fifty feet of a keyboard? How can you say that, without making it sound "personal"?

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Possibly. But not all the time!

The Forum Legend

What if what you think is that the other person is a brainless dolt who shouldn't be allowed within fifty feet of a keyboard? How can you say that, without making it sound "personal"?
    I can't rep you again yet. But I did laugh*!

*Second thought: Unless you were talking about me!

Ask them if they still have the box for their PC/Laptop/PDA

Do you?

Commercial Operator

Or did you want to go back a little further?
    AndyMcGregor
    Mikey
    Ooh! A list with me on it. What a shame it also contains Mikey.

I would like to point out that being listed with Mikey does not mean we have anything in common. Something I believe Mikey would also point out - OK, so the only thing we probably agree about is that we have nothing in common

On the subject of this thread, I think that the joining of an individual can make the forum much less fun and raise the temperature for some people more than others. I used to post here a lot. Then an individual started picking on me, over and over again and the resultant arguments made me look bad. I used reaching 5,000 posts as a convenient way to exit what was becoming a silly situation for me. That person no longer posts much so I look in from time to time and chip in when I've got something to say.

But it's unlikely that I'll ever go back to the situation where I started contentious threads on days when the forum seemed a bit slow

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    . . . .the comfort I take from that is that people really care about things - if they didn't care they wouldn't bother to speak up. . . . .
    Wise words young lady!
    and very spooky - I sat in my car with a mate going on about the forum and a few other dance related issues as I saw them. He remarked that over the years we've known each other he'd never really noticed how passionate I could be about my issues. That obviously turns into forthright though.

Hit somebodies special little emotion buttons and you'll get get more response than you expected. This is the Human animal at work in its purest form. Like sex (always try and bring sex into an argument it's a great leveller) little movements often lead to the biggest orgasms.
    Start a fight with someone who feels passionately about the subject and you could be in trouble.

Look at Iraq - they (the baddies) are willing to die for their cause we (errr the not so baddies I think could possibly be fair here although I won't argue on that point {strange I know}) don't want to die regardless. We can never win.

Commercial Operator

You can't - because that's your personal opinion of them, not of their posts. You could, however, point out in a non-emotive fashion what's wrong with what they're saying - which, considering that you're clearly an intellectual giant, while they're a brainless dolt who's broken the fifty foot exclusion zone again - is likely to be pretty easy.

Why - did you have someone specific in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    On the subject of this thread, I think that the joining of an individual can make the forum much less fun and raise the temperature for some people more than others. I used to post here a lot. Then an individual started picking on me, over and over again and the resultant arguments made me look bad. I used reaching 5,000 posts as a convenient way to exit what was becoming a silly situation for me. That person no longer posts much so I look in from time to time and chip in when I've got something to say.
    Pray tell . . . . .?

can't be arsed to got back through 5000 posts to find out

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    But it's unlikely that I'll ever go back to the situation where I started contentious threads on days when the forum seemed a bit slow
    Wish some others would take that line too!

It used to be that most arguments were arguing about how someone posted and how it could be misconstrude as being insulting.

Now people are just insulting.

{Just shows a lack of imagination IMHO... for a dance form that relies on imagination to dance well: those that show such a poor imagination can only be showing themselves as poor dancers }

Thread Information