View Poll Results: Is the forum too heated in your opinion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, too hot!

14 30.43%
  • No, could do with more heat!

2 4.35%
  • It's just fine as it is.

28 60.87%
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

2 4.35%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Forum "temperature"

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Forum "temperature"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Huh?

Are you saying that everything useful I could want to know about Ceroc is on this Forum already? In which case could the Search Engine be upgraded
    I think it's a given that the Forum's search engine could be upgraded, or better still, chained to some heavy concrete and thrown into a deep ocean!

There is a great deal about dance stored in the Forum archive; I expect that if you were to think of a question there's a 95% chance it's been answered already, which is of course not to say that it's not worth asking or discussing again. But, I don't think most people would spend nearly as much time posting here if the predominant content was about dance, it would be like reading a dictionary instead of reading a novel.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you saying that everything useful I could want to know about Ceroc is on this Forum already?
    I think a lot of common topics have been discussed, yes. Whether they've been "answered" or not, I couldn't say.

But so what? Any forum is a living community, an ongoing pub conversation if you will.

Do people stop talking in the pub if someone says "Oh, we sorted that out 3 years ago, here's the tape we made of our discussion, now go and listen to it for a while"?

(The answer, BTW, is "no")

In which case could the Search Engine be upgraded
    As ESG said, the Search Engine is indeed a big steaming pile of poo.

But, implementing a decent Search Engine is a massive undertaking, for very little obvious immediate return, so I can't blame Franck for not wanting to get started on it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    And how much is there to actually *say* about it anyway? We have the which foot to step back on and bouncing the hand threads periodically, and other stuff just about as often as DavidJames can think of it.
    Which isn't often, seeing as how TalkTalk have killed my home internet access for another couple of weeks...

Dance is evolving, we continue to talk about it. Anyone seriously interested in historical discussion can find the information in the archive. Or ask MartinHarper.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    ...As ESG said, the Search Engine is indeed a big steaming pile of poo...
    and even if it worked it would just direct us to many discussions with a few good posts invaded by fluffy bunnies, chocolate, and less loveable things.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    and even if it worked it would just direct us to many discussions with a few good posts invaded by fluffy bunnies, chocolate, and less loveable things.
    Agreed. I really do think a "relevance" score for each post, and an individual threshold before displaying a post would be an asset to the Forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    David and Lily, ChrisA, Jayne and Divissima have either left or good as.
    Apart from those, I can see that a lot of well-known teachers and luminaries in the MJ world have registered, and used to post, but no longer do so.

I have no idea whether this is due to "temperature" or other factors - but as this list includes Viktor, Nina, Howard, Simon B, Amir, Franco, Marc, Toby, and others, I do believe the forum is poorer without their contributions.

Apart from those, I can see that a lot of well-known teachers and luminaries in the MJ world have registered, and used to post, but no longer do so.

I have no idea whether this is due to "temperature" or other factors - but as this list includes Viktor, Nina, Howard, Simon B, Amir, Franco, Marc, Toby, and others, I do believe the forum is poorer without their contributions.
    I think you mean SimonR...?

Amir still posts. Howard only ever posted three times, to my recollection (and two of those were about his hat). I recall about five posts in total from Viktor over the 18 months that I've been a member. Marc hasn't posted himself for a long time - although Rachel still does sometimes. And we heard from Toby over the SimonB party at the Hippodrome. So not much has changed in recent months.

Marc hasn't posted himself for a long time - although Rachel still does sometimes.
    Eh? Marc only registered a few months ago, so he hasn't even been on here a long time yet. Rachel used to post a lot more.

It used to be certain people clashed. It was like being in a room with some strongly conflicting personalities. Now lots of threads seem to 'flare up' for no good reason. Its more like being in a room with a crowd of rather drunk teenagers.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

ok i have come to this thread a little late but here is my thoughts.

When i joined this forum it was about dance with a little bit of lovely dovey and a little bit of friction. It was a nice place to enter and i had time to get comfortable. Debates started and thats cool, there is no where that you can go that there are this many people and people dont disagree.

I am happy in the main with the way this forum is, yes i would like to see a little more dance and a little less of personal digs, but that is the way life is. People change, circumstances change and opinions change. People start of quiet and become argumentative. Some people start argumentative and calm down.

Who we are changes, what we are stays the same. If we all remember that everyone on the forum is a person and has feelings, whether we like them or not, also has there dignity and its not up to me or anyone else to take it away. If you do have a personal attack then make it to the person in person or by pm. If you have a general grievance then let us hear about it.

Blog Entries

I think you mean SimonR...?
    Nope, I mean Simon B, he's registered, and has posted previously, and still lurks, I believe - just doesn't post.

Amir still posts. Howard only ever posted three times, to my recollection (and two of those were about his hat). I recall about five posts in total from Viktor over the 18 months that I've been a member. Marc hasn't posted himself for a long time - although Rachel still does sometimes. And we heard from Toby over the SimonB party at the Hippodrome. So not much has changed in recent months.
    The point is, that these people are significant in the community, but they don't feel it's worth it (for whatever reason) to contribute to the forum in any significant manner. There may be a variety of reasons for this, but the general evidence backs up (or at least, doesn't contradict) David Franklin's point about "temperature" putting people off.

The Forum Legend

The point is, that these people are significant in the community, but they don't feel it's worth it (for whatever reason) to contribute to the forum in any significant manner. There may be a variety of reasons for this, but the general evidence backs up (or at least, doesn't contradict) David Franklin's point about "temperature" putting people off.
    And how did you make that leap of faith then? Just because those people don't post backs up the point that temperature puts people off?

I reckon those people don't post because they've got webbed hands, and find it really difficult to type. And the general evidence backs this up too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    And how did you make that leap of faith then? Just because those people don't post backs up the point that temperature puts people off?
    You sound like a lawyer

The trouble is, you're not going to get a lot of outspoken posts by people who think the forum is too aggressive, so there's always going to be a weight of evidence on the side of the "loudest". So, to a large degree, we have to rely on the evidence of private comments, PMs, and lack of posting from people who might otherwise be expected to have incentives to post.

I realise this makes the case weaker, and I realise there's always a "it was better in the good old days" tendency, and I realise that you can't lump people into groups and assign general motivations to all of them.

However, that all said, my feeling is that the Forum is too aggressive in tone occasionally, and more importantly, is getting a reputation as being too aggressive, which is potentially putting some people off.

I reckon those people don't post because they've got webbed hands, and find it really difficult to type. And the general evidence backs this up too!
    Ah. Humour. I've heard of that.

Fair comment, and that's the reason I didn't list them myself. On the other hand, repeating myself, there are definitely 'high-profile' dancers who have never posted here because the temperature puts them off.

Actually, the general evidence tends to contradict the 'webbed hand' hypothesis rather strongly. Unusual hand features tend to get noticed in the dancing community, after all!

Commercial Operator

Could always try asking them. I'm told some of them are quite approachable

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Eh? Marc only registered a few months ago, so he hasn't even been on here a long time yet. Rachel used to post a lot more.
    I see Marc's registration; but I could have sworn I'd read posts from him from three or four years ago.

It's inevitable that there will always be people "who used to post more". That was just as true two years ago when I joined, when people used to give lists of recently departed posters and mourn the lack of their interesting contributions.

However there are also a lot of new contributors with interesting points of view.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I don't think that it'd take long to come up with a list of who is involved. Can probably mostly do that from memory!

GetAGrip
    Tiggs Tours
    ESG
    Gus
    DavidJames
    Wittybird
    Me

Or did you want to go back a little further?
    AndyMcGregor
    Mikey
    Plenty of MY threads have had arguments in them, are you sure your nonsensical made up list is entirely reliable?

I would say compared to the majority of public forums this is a shining beacon of light and humanities last, best hope for peace. We can actually talk about the things we want to take about with hardly any pointless abuse at all. Anyone who put "Yes too hot" should take a good look in the mirror as you may begin to see the startings of a HITLER MOUSTACHE. Fascists.

Carry on.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

, it would be like reading a dictionary instead of reading a novel.
    The forum is a novel? Hmm probably a Dan Brown/Irvine Welsh joint effort* I'd say

* with footnotes by Barbara Cartland

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Plenty of MY threads have had arguments in them, are you sure your nonsensical made up list is entirely reliable?
    Maybe your arguments weren't all that memorable?

I would say compared to the majority of public forums this is a shining beacon of light and humanities last, best hope for peace.
    Yeah - but the majority of public forums are frequented by a high proportion of hormonal adolescents.
    Compared to the ones I generally use, one sees a different picture. NOT, I stress for the majority of threads / posts - it's not all doom and gloom. Still too often though

Anyone who put "Yes too hot" should take a good look in the mirror as you may begin to see the startings of a HITLER MOUSTACHE. Fascists.

Carry on.
    Sig Heil!
    (TooHotCat)

And I know that there's not a lot of stuff actually about dance, but, if that's what the people using the forum generally want, then that's what'll happen. If more people wanted to start talking about dancing, then that'd happen too.
    That can be part of the problem though. Some people do want to talk about dance. They start a relevant thread (or renew an old one, if relevant) and start the discussion. Other people who don't want to talk about dance start chit chat on the dance thread. Either the thread has to be dragged back onto topic, or the posters who were talking about dance just stop posting on that thread. Any time I've stopped posting for a while, this has been the reason, I've gone back to dance discussion threads to find that they are just banter. (I've commented before that it doesn't happen to the tango threads, I think because non-tango dancers find them too technical and boring.)

I don't mind banter and I don't mind the amount of chat and fun on here. But I wonder how the 'fun' people on here would react if a lot of chit chat threads started to be full of technical dance posts. (Suspect the reaction would be along the lines of 'go and get a life'.)
    Last edited by Lynn; 8th-November-2006 at 12:33 PM.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    That can be part of the problem though. Some people do want to talk about dance. They start a relevant thread (or renew an old one, if relevant) and start the discussion. Other people who don't want to talk about dance start chit chat on the dance thread. Either the thread has to be dragged back onto topic, or the posters who were talking about dance just stop posting on that thread. Any time I've stopped posting for a while, this has been the reason, I've gone back to dance discussion threads to find that they are just banter. (I've commented before that it doesn't happen to the tango threads, I think because non-tango dancers find them too technical and boring.)

I don't mind banter and I don't mind the amount of chat and fun on here. But I wonder how the 'fun' people on here would react if a lot of chit chat threads started to be full of technical dance posts. (Suspect the reaction would be along the lines of 'go and get a life'.)
    So, what you're basically saying then, is that you wish there was more banter and chit chat on the tango threads? Will try harder. Just for you Lynn!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Maybe your arguments weren't all that memorable?
    I didnt mention MY arguments at all, its rarely me that posts the most in any thread. Its a toss up between David "let me explain it to you in a careful non-denominational way" James , ES "heres something fools havent considered" G or Barry "want some disdain with that?" Schnikov

Thread Information