View Poll Results: Is the forum too heated in your opinion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, too hot!

14 30.43%
  • No, could do with more heat!

2 4.35%
  • It's just fine as it is.

28 60.87%
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

2 4.35%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Forum "temperature"

Re: Forum "temperature"

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    The Forum is a harmless self-contained arena in which to learn those skills - so it would be a good place to start!
    But what if a person just wants to discuss dance?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I knew the fact of observation would alter what's being observed - there's always at least one smartass - but it's still a valid point.
    More to the point, and as you alluded to earlier with your "too late" comment, there's a strong element of self-selection: the people who really don't like the atmosphere here have either left, or indeed never joined. David and Lily, ChrisA, Jayne and Divissima have either left or good as. A number of teachers I've suggested post here have said they took a look and decided it wasn't something they'd want to be involved in - basically because of all the bitching and negativity.

Still - "the lurkers support me in email" has always been a pretty weak comment. At the end of the day, it's up to the people here to choose what atmosphere they want. It's just a shame that at least from my perspective, the people who leave tend to be the most knowledgable and helpful posters.

Blog Entries

I don't mind the heat at all.

However, I'm finding all the whingeing really depressing. It makes me grumpy.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    More to the point, and as you alluded to earlier with your "too late" comment, there's a strong element of self-selection: the people who really don't like the atmosphere here have either left, or indeed never joined. David and Lily, ChrisA, Jayne and Divissima have either left or good as.
    As I'm sure you appreciate, David, the same argument cuts both ways. It's feasible that there are people who are put off by all the lovey-dovey stuff, too.

As you acknowledge, the forum is made up by the people who post. Anyone who decides not to post is voluntarily giving up the opportunity to shape it.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    A number of teachers I've suggested post here have said they took a look and decided it wasn't something they'd want to be involved in - basically because of all the bitching and negativity.
    You've mentioned this before. Just out of interest, what is the number of teachers who have said this to you?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    But what if a person just wants to discuss dance?
    They probably go elsewhere...

Just out of interest, what is the number of teachers who have said this to you?
    3 or 4 teachers, 1 or 2 "A-list" competitors (not entirely sure who's taught out of that lot). Not a lot in terms of posters. In terms of contributions a pretty big loss, IMHO.

Oh, while we're calling people on statements they've made:

Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    I don't post personal attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    OK. Which twit voted for Donna?

EDIT: stupid question. It was Donna.

3 or 4 teachers, 1 or 2 "A-list" competitors (not entirely sure who's taught out of that lot). Not a lot in terms of posters. In terms of contributions a pretty big loss, IMHO.
    I wouldn't dream of calling you, I was simply curious to know how many. 3, then, or 4? 1, or 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by David Frankln
    Is it still an insult if it's true? I should point out that Donna herself advertised her IQ as less than 100. In any case, I suspect she's about as offended at being called a twit as I would be.

3, then, or 4? 1, or 2?
    Either 3 teachers and two 'A-list' competitors, or 4 teachers and one 'A-list' competitor (I'm not sure whether one of the A-list competitors has taught - though I'm sure they're knowledgeable enough). Before you ask, seeing as at least one expressly said "I wouldn't want to be involved with the forum", I won't mention their names or say anything likely to identify them.

Either 3 teachers and two 'A-list' competitors, or 4 teachers and one 'A-list' competitor (I'm not sure whether one of the A-list competitors has taught - though I'm sure they're knowledgeable enough). Before you ask, seeing as at least one expressly said "I wouldn't want to be involved with the forum", I won't mention their names or say anything likely to identify them.
    I wouldn't dream of asking.

All right. I've thought about that one again and I agree. It was out of order. Apologies to Donna, I'm sorry.

All right. I've thought about that one again and I agree. It was out of order. Apologies to Donna, I'm sorry.
    (I'd also agree that as personal insults go, it was a pretty mild one).

The Forum Legend

Which is a shame. Since, as someone said, it's the people who are on the forum that guide the direction that it's going.

Out of interest, these people, have they subsequently become involved in another forum, which is less chit-chat, more dance based, and less 'nasty' (though, I don't think that this one particularly is).

Or are they just not involved in the forum thing at all? Cos everytime I look at another forum which purports to primarily be there to discuss dancing, there's not very many posts on there at all....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Or are they just not involved in the forum thing at all?
    Not involved at all.
    Cos everytime I look at another forum which purports to primarily be there to discuss dancing, there's not very many posts on there at all....
    True. But you know, there aren't an awful lot of posts here about dancing either. (Yes, there are more dance posts here than the other place. But the ratio is a hell of a lot smaller than you might guess from the general traffic level).

The Forum Legend

Not involved at all.
    True. But you know, there aren't an awful lot of posts here about dancing either. (Yes, there are more dance posts here than the other place. But the ratio is a hell of a lot smaller than you might guess from the general traffic level).
    So, it's less of not wanting to get involved in THIS forum, as not wanting to get involved in forums at all then?

And I know that there's not a lot of stuff actually about dance, but, if that's what the people using the forum generally want, then that's what'll happen. If more people wanted to start talking about dancing, then that'd happen too. Although, that might require a change in forum personnel of course....

And I know that there's not a lot of stuff actually about dance
    To be quite honest, I spend enough time actually *doing* dance that I don't really feel I need to talk about it most of the rest of the time. I value the fact that this "dance" forum isn't mainly about dance.

And how much is there to actually *say* about it anyway? We have the which foot to step back on and bouncing the hand threads periodically, and other stuff just about as often as DavidJames can think of it.

The Forum Legend

Oh. I should have said - I'm quite happy with the amount of threads on dancing. To be honest, a lot of the time, those are the ones I find the least interesting anyhow. They tend to either be lots of people just posting up with the same stuff, or they tend to degenerate into 2 sides, all reiterating the same point over, and over, and over....

I think that one 'problem' is that having been here so long, we've discussed a lot of points on dancing ad infinitum. What's left to talk about?

So, it's less of not wanting to get involved in THIS forum, as not wanting to get involved in forums at all then?
    It's hard to know. At the time, there was no other forum; I told them about this one, and they said they didn't like all the bitching on it. If they were to post elsewhere, someone else would have to persuade them, and they'd probably respond "Sorry, but I looked at a dance forum before and it wasn't to my taste".

Also, even now, the other MJ forums are a long way from critical mass, so I don't think you can conclude too much from who does or doesn't post to them.

Of course we have at least some empiric evidence that (some) teachers who would be happy to post to forums avoid this one because of the atmosphere (David and Lily).

Of course we have at least some empiric evidence that (some) teachers who would be happy to post to forums avoid this one because of the atmosphere (David and Lily).
    Aye, I don't see what is so hard to comprehend that due to either (or a combination of) luvinees, outright bad manners and marginalised dance discussion, there are respected dancer and teachers who don't want to partake ... know several personally.

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

I knew the fact of observation would alter what's being observed - there's always at least one smartass - but it's still a valid point.
    Schrodinger's Ass?

I think that one 'problem' is that having been here so long, we've discussed a lot of points on dancing ad infinitum. What's left to talk about?
    And how much is there to actually *say* about it anyway?
    Huh?

Are you saying that everything useful I could want to know about Ceroc is on this Forum already? In which case could the Search Engine be upgraded

Thread Information