Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going Solo?

Re: Going Solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Or just go out to a night club and see what they are doing.
    You'll need a group of women in a circle around a pile of handbags, doing the side-step back and forth with varying lack of rhythm and style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angelique View Post
    Defining good and bad ...tough one! It's emotive, it's provocative, it's subjective and it's individual and for one thing I'm no expert to be attempting to define anything...I'm just a humble punter. Exactly where I want to be

When you do get it clarified...let me know!
    mmm, Good/'kin awesome: Angelique and Mike at SnowWhites.
    Bad: Me clinging onto my partner for dear life because it's far to scary to be on my own on a dancefloor!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I also recommend going to a nightclub or twenty to practice and observe.
    One of my regular habits, but 99% of the people there are doing the same drunken stumble, bouncy-bouncy in a crowd that I am. Maybe I should try staying sober and watching?

Mostly something to learn. You should pick up the necessary confidence during the learning process. I recommend going to a weekender or twenty and doing lots of the solo dancing workshops. I also recommend going to a nightclub or twenty to practice and observe.
    There are some regular classes in solo dancing around the place, if you look hard enough. Some style of partner dancing (Salsa, Lindy, no doubt more) include solo work on a semi-regular basis.
    I can undersand Gav, cause I was out last night and I was itching to dance but since taking up Ceroc I've 'lost' my ability to dance solo, I need a partner who can Ceroc!

But when someone goes 'sol' on me the thought is "oh dear" and Elisha is making me more confident with this, so I do like a shimmy or just move to the music closer to her and hold my hand out, or spin and by the time the spin is finished we connect again.

As for the origian I think it is a confidence thing and done by people who are VERY comfortable with dancing.

There's a 'teen' program called "bump & grind" I caught the end of at the weekend - looks like the same "strictly pop idol" format (classes, teachers, judges, contestants...) but with club dancing. May want to have a look at this

Mostly something to learn. You should pick up the necessary confidence during the learning process. I recommend going to a weekender or twenty and doing lots of the solo dancing workshops. I also recommend going to a nightclub or twenty to practice and observe.
    There are some regular classes in solo dancing around the place, if you look hard enough. Some style of partner dancing (Salsa, Lindy, no doubt more) include solo work on a semi-regular basis.
    Yes, if you attend Lindy Hop classes you will learn quite a lot of jazz steps either as part of a solo routine or as part of a partnered routine. All of this can give you the confidence to incorporate breakaway steps in your modern jive.
    I often find a breakaway step is useful when you have lost connection with your partner - maybe she spins too far away or the move loses its shape - so you can both take time to reestablish the conmnection. Adding solo spins is a good example. And sometimes the music just calls for it anyway.....

I tend to find myself doing the 'solo' thing alot more nowadays...but i only do it when it fits the music and i am sure my partner is also willing to take part so that i dont end up with a woman storming off the dance floor cos she thinks am running off to the loo or something! but i am not sure whether or not it looks any good...and i dont know that i really care as long as me and my partner are enjoying the dance it should not matter what others think....and with referance to an earlier statement....if me and my partner are both smiling it will probably look good in the sense of being fun!

Alot of it probably does come down to confidence and how much you are at ease with said partner but never be afraid to try something out....i often sit and watch what the more experienced dancers are doing..(when i get a chance that is ) but yeah...i just watch and then try and workout in my head how they did somethin...add a little self interpretation and bingo...find a partner i dance with regularly and give it a bash...although i do sometimes warn them..

Guess what i am saying is.....if you see it and like it....give it a bash.....unless its potentially dangerous that is....

Thread Information