Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dancing with beginners

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: licence to use license

Originally posted by Grant
    Wait a minute.. who's that outside my window..with the big gun.. oh no ..Miss Marples will catch you eventually Graham.. you can't kill all of us.. arghhh
    Aha! It is I! Miss Marples!
    (or did you mean my evil twin?)

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by filthycute
    Sherwin and Denise are another 2 who felt the wrath of my 'honesty' approach when we used to practice together. I just don't see any point in letting people think they're doing something correct when it's blatantly wrong.

Ah ......... but Mel - were they doing something 'wrong' or somehting you didn't like or agree with ?? If it was the wrong moves as part of a routine then that's one thing but what one dancer might percieve as 'wrong' someone else might see as a stylish interpretation

The Forum Legend
    Or just a whole new move

Steve

Originally posted by Bill
    Ah ......... but Mel - were they doing something 'wrong' or somehting you didn't like or agree with ?? If it was the wrong moves as part of a routine then that's one thing but what one dancer might percieve as 'wrong' someone else might see as a stylish interpretation
    ahhh very good question young man (going to get my spade out for this one as i can see myself digging a big hole!!!

I know what you mean, but there's also a difference between 'not being to my taste' but looks good......and not being to anybodys taste.

I'm not talking about Denise or Sherwin when i say that ......as you well know they're both top class dancers. I only mentioned them because we used to practise together, and obviously they can't see what they were doing so they'd ask me and James...and we'd ask them.

If anyone asked for an opinion on their dancing it would definately be based on how well they can lead/follow/time/etc: the move....i'd never harrang anybody for their interpretation or style.

filthycute x x

Wrong/different

I think that when considering pseudo-philosophical questions like this it's best to consider examples which are as simple as possible. I dance with a lot of followers but not many leaders, so I'm not an expert on leaders' faults - at least, I'm not if you don't count my expertise in displaying them Anyway, if a follower consistently uses her thumb to grip on to your hand, to me that's just wrong. Similarly, if in a class she always starts too far away from you AND takes a big step back so that your arms are at full stretch it's a mistake, not just different. Now if you're aware of these faults you can adjust your own dancing to manage them to some extent, but they're still "wrong" rather than "just her style" as far as I'm concerned. Clearly there is a great deal of scope for "different", such as how many beats you make a comb last, or how you move your feet in an armjive, and I would certainly not dream of saying anything to anyone about their style unless specifically asked.

Having said all that, I kind of agree with DS that if you give anyone feedback you're opening a bit of a can of worms unless you're recognisably (to them) acting in a teaching capacity (at a workshop or as a teacher/taxi).

If anyone asked for an opinion on their dancing it would definately be based on how well they can lead/follow/time/etc: the move
    Right, I'm going to ask your opinion next time I see you... better take my 'brave' pills first though

i'd never harrang anybody for their interpretation or style.
    No, but you obviously know enough about both to help others without turning them into little clones of you. Not that I have any problem with lots of little FC clones

Grant

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by Chicklet
    off topic - call me pedantina if you like but I'm with DavidY and will continue to use "c" for a noun and "s" for a verb in licenc/se and other words from the same "family"
    Love dance, will travel

The Dashing Moderator
    Well David, if your ever looking for some negative comments look no further...i'm an expert!
    Hmmm ... so I could travel hundreds of miles up to Scotland .... just to find out how bad my dancing is .... from someone I've never met ....

It would have to be at a really good party...

Mind you it's the best offer I've had all week so I shouldn't complain too much

David
    Love dance, will travel

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by DavidY
    Hmmm ... so I could travel hundreds of miles up to Scotland ....
    You could David - we'd be delighted to see you How about the 21st June?

It would have to be at a really good party...
    Oh it WILL be

(And I'm sure if you asked FC nicely, she'd put you through your paces................. )
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by Sheena
    You could David - we'd be delighted to see you How about the 21st June?
    I'd love to go - was sorely tempted in fact, but I checked my diary and realised I'm committed to be elsewhere that weekend.

Maybe another time...

David
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information