Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with beginners

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Originally posted by Chicklet
    Wendy, you'll never guess what he did on Saturday while you were away too...Cracked a on the dance floor
    Yeh, he's still a begginer in the smiling on the dancefloor department. But I only want the best for him and for him to be happy and if other girls can get him to smile.. so be it.....I'd even let him go to Dundee if that worked.... so if I have to go to Camber by myself again... well sometimes you have to put the other person first... (no smiley for this stuff !!!!)

Wxxx

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    I think that the idea was that would be what he'd say if he was showing his true colours...
    That's why Max Clifford is so well paid !!
    So, the question is: is saying what you would say, and not what you did say, really showing your true colours? Discuss!
    Yes. No!

Wxxx

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by PeterL
    like all computer people I have lost the ability to spell over time.
    and to be honest, don't care that much as long as people understand me.
    Oi. I'm a little blue computer person and my spelling isn't too bad.

Shouldnt you be worried about offending us good spellers .

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Shouldnt you be worried about offending us good spellers .
    Sorry to report that PeterL cannot worry about this. His license to worry has been suspended pending full investigation of his "dont care that much" posting which was a flagrant breach of his obligations as a member of the international federation of worry wart's.
    Grant

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by Grant
    His license to worry ....
    Since this seems to be the spelling thread, should that be 'His licence to worry' .....?
    Love dance, will travel

licence to use license

Originally posted by DavidY
    Since this seems to be the spelling thread, should that be 'His licence to worry' .....?
    According to my sources both variants are acceptable in "British English" whereas license is more usual in "American English".
    Any international federation would be dominated by Americans and hence would use the American version.

Grant

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: licence to use license

Any international federation would be dominated by Americans and hence would use the American version.
    Its also equally correct to use the spelling 'DavidY' instead of 'Pedant'

Re: Re: licence to use license

Its also equally correct to use the spelling 'DavidY' instead of 'Pedant'
    And I found 'Graham' listed as another alternative.

Grant
    PS. Expecting to get seriously flamed by Graham if I made any spelling mistakes or typo's in this post.

Re: Re: Re: licence to use license

And I found 'Graham' listed as another alternative.

Grant
    PS. Expecting to get seriously flamed by Graham if I made any spelling mistakes or typo's in this post.
    You must have me mixed up with someone else, Grant. As I said previously, I'm an easygoing chap.

In any case, I'd be holding fire on the flaming, as you can still correct what I point out for another 57 minutes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: licence to use license

Originally posted by Graham
    You must have me mixed up with someone else, Grant. As I said previously, I'm an easygoing chap.
    Of course you are. Silly me, that's the second time you have had to correct me today.

In any case, I'd be holding fire on the flaming, as you can still correct what I point out for another 57 minutes.
    I've been hiding under my desk since I read this, expecting a visit from the hitman. But it's after 3PM now so I guess that's not what you meant.
    Wait a minute.. who's that outside my window..with the big gun.. oh no ..Miss Marples will catch you eventually Graham.. you can't kill all of us.. arghhh

Grant

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: licence to use license

Wait a minute.. who's that outside my window..with the big gun.. oh no ..Miss Marples will catch you eventually Graham.. you can't kill all of us.. arghhh

Grant
    R.I.P. Grant, very shakespearian the 'arghhh' - how did he manage to type it in ? UNLESS HE'S FAKED HIS OWN DEATH ha got u

B.T.C.
    Is this the dancing with beginners thread or the no-one can spell properly thread ???????????

bringing it back on track.......................... for a change...........

it was fun last night and danced with several 'beginners' and with a new temporary DJ it was a good night. One of the real advantages of dancing with beginners is that it does make you think of how well you lead and of ensuring the moves are appropriate.

The disadvantage of a busy venue though is that I danced with a 'new' person last night only to find she has been coming since January. And it was a lovely dance Nancy And I know several excellent female dancers who have been patronised by men who don't know them and make comments on how to follow or negative remarks when they get it 'wrong' not realising it's their lack of signal or lead that's the problem!!!:reallymad

Now .........any comments on the spelling ???????

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Bill
    The disadvantage of a busy venue though is that I danced with a 'new' person last night only to find she has been coming since January. And it was a lovely dance Nancy And I know several excellent female dancers who have been patronised by men who don't know them and make comments on how to follow or negative remarks when they get it 'wrong' not realising it's their lack of signal or lead that's the problem!!!:reallymad

Now .........any comments on the spelling ???????
    nope - lets keep it on topic shall we Bill

I think commenting negatively on someone elses dancing is just setting yourself up for a fall. There isnt really a 'wrong' in dancing anyway theres just 'different'

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: licence to use license

Of course you are. Silly me, that's the second time you have had to correct me today.
    And that's without me mentioning your greengrocers' apostrophes!
    I've been hiding under my desk since I read this, expecting a visit from the hitman. But it's after 3PM now so I guess that's not what you meant.
    Hitmen who turn up right on cue don't generally last too long in the business. YOU WILL BE VISITED WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT.

The Dashing Moderator
    I think commenting negatively on someone elses dancing is just setting yourself up for a fall. There isnt really a 'wrong' in dancing anyway theres just 'different'
    I agree that negative comments are not a good thing in most cases. However I think they can be useful on occasion if done well.

I can remember once when someone commented negatively on my dancing and I was glad afterwards that they did. This was after I'd been dancing for well over a year. Someone that I knew and respected as a good dancer said I was a bit 'jerky' to dance with. This was a bit of a shock at first, especially as I'd been dancing a while, but I knew the person concerned and that she meant it kindly.

I hope I've modified my dancing since then to get a little better - but if she hadn't said anything I'd still have been reinforcing bad habits and potentially being uncomfortable to dance with. I think there's a danger that some of us (especially men/leaders) fall into bad habits and don't realise we're doing it because we never get feedback.

If I was a braver person I'd ask friendly partners to give me a bit of negative feedback every so often & hopefully not get too complacent about bad habits - but on the other hand giving and receiving feedback is very hard to do well.

David
    Love dance, will travel

I kind of half agree with this;
    Commenting negatively and constructive criticism are hard to accept, especially so if you have been dancing for years rather than hours.
    While I agree that there isn't a wrong way to dance, I think that dancing differently to your partner is not dancing with them. Which is kind of the whole point.
    Commenting on other's dancing - I would never comment unless something is repeatedly going wrong with a move (and then it's only "...when I do this, try and do that...") or they ask "What should I be doing here" - normally the answer is "exactly want you were/are doing".
    I think that it is very hard for negative comments not to wound unless you are asked or are a teacher/taxi dancer {or have a BTC pass}.

nope - lets keep it on topic shall we Bill
    ok then

There isnt really a 'wrong' in dancing anyway theres just 'different'
    Can't agree with this.
    There may be a number of right ways of doing something but there will probably be a lot more wrong ways. Saying every way is ok, just different, sounds like some kind of PC speak to me.

Grant (the greengrocer)

PS If the follower does do something wrong it could well be because the lead itself was wrong.

Originally posted by DavidY

If I was a braver person I'd ask friendly partners to give me a bit of negative feedback every so often & hopefully not get too complacent about bad habits - but on the other hand giving and receiving feedback is very hard to do well.

David
    Well David, if your ever looking for some negative comments look no further...i'm an expert!
    Just ask my poor partner who's had to suffer them for the past 6 months.....mind you, he's turning into a top class dancer so it can't be all that bad
    Sherwin and Denise are another 2 who felt the wrath of my 'honesty' approach when we used to practice together. I just don't see any point in letting people think they're doing something correct when it's blatantly wrong. But before you think i'm being harsh, i do like to be on the recieving end aswell, and i'm my own worst critic. I think people know me well enough now to know that if they can't handle the truth...don't ask!

filthycute x x

and don't be feeling all sorry for James....he gives as good as he gets

Blog Entries
    on topic - I like constructive critisism from people I know to be giving it as such - I might not always adopt what they say from that point onward but I'll always try and see how it feels.

off topic - call me pedantina if you like but I'm with DavidY and will continue to use "c" for a noun and "s" for a verb in licenc/se and other words from the same "family"

Originally posted by filthycute

i do like to be on the recieving end aswell, and i'm my own worst critic.
    I'm sure this has helped you to become the outstanding dancer you are today. How can anyone improve unless they can recognise their faults?

and don't be feeling all sorry for James....he gives as good as he gets
    Saw that in the impromptu 'kung fu kid' display you put on at the end of the last Glasgow party

Grant

Thread Information