Thread: Family Trees

Family Trees

Since watching the telly programme, I have had the bug of researching my family tree.

Because both my parents come from Ireland, I have started asking relatives over there about any history they know of and have come up with some great stories.

Apparently during the Irish famine in the 1840's, my (how ever many) great grandfather left Cork and emigrated to New York where he met his wife and their son returned to Ireland many years later to rebuild the farm again.

Also, I have found out that my great grandfather always told the story that he was one of the last people to see the Titanic as it sailed past the Cork shore into the Atlantic.

Has anyone else researched thier history and found some exciting stories?
    Last edited by Dizzy; 31st-October-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Re: Family Trees

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Since watching the telly programme, I have had the bug of researching my family tree.

Because both my parents come from Ireland, I have started asking relatives over there about any history they know of and have come up with some great stories.

Apparently during the Irish famine in the 1840's, my (how ever many) great grandfather left Cork and emigrated to New York where he met his wife and their son returned to Ireland many years later to rebuild the farm again.

Also, I have found out that my great grandfather always told the story that he was one of the last people to see the Titanic as it sailed past the Cork shore into the Atlantic.

Has anyone else researched thier history and found some exciting stories?

My great great grand father was a champion Stlit walker and another drown in a village pond, drink was 'assume'

One danger re internet research is of course you think you can go back 300 yrs within a day !

My mistakes were pointed out when I guy in Kent (didnt know him) turned out his grand father was my great grand mothers younger brother and we guessed they had lost contact in the early 1950s. This was all via the internet where you can post details and 'ask' for help out there, great fun

My Uncle researched our family tree and traced my Dad's family way way back. He found out that one of our ancestors is Alexander Selkirk who was the basis for the story of Robinson Crusoe.

We can't trace back as far from my mum's side. There's no birth certificate or anything for my Great-Grandad who we believe was from Ireland. The Irish records office burned down and so we think that's how he got lost. (((If anyone could help with that (ie. how would I go about finding him???) that would be helpful )))

xXx

Glitter Queen

My Nanny's really into this stuff and has researched our family tree quite extensively. Unfortunately, from everything she's told me, it all seems pretty dull - the only interesting thing is that the furthest traceable ancestor on one of our lines was a man who sailed with Sir Frances Drake .

I'd love to do research on this. One of dad's cousins has done some work on it and I really should speak to him and find out what he has discovered. Would love to know more about Mum's side. I saw the Jeremy Irons programme last night - he was very touched to discover he did have roots in the part of Ireland he felt at home in.

I love a certain area of Galway - and I think a family name is from that area - way back. Would be nice to find out a bit more.

I tried to research my family tree.. and got as far back as my Dad

Seems like the tree above my Dad has been chopped down, logged, burnt and the ashes scattered to the four winds never to be spoken of again.

It PROBABLY coincidental but all my old maiden aunts etc on my fathers side who could have helped me with the truth have all died relatively young. :suspicious look:

I know that my REAL biological grandfather was actually an Italian P.O.W. but I don't know his name.. so hit an immediate dead end there.

I spent quite some time dealing with 'the church of the Jesus Christ of latter-day saints' 'mormons' I understand they hold the most extensive list's to enable you to research your family, they have a web site which helps apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I spent quite some time dealing with 'the church of the Jesus Christ of latter-day saints' 'mormons' I understand they hold the most extensive list's to enable you to research your family, they have a web site which helps apparently.
    Yes, I think my relative has used their site. (LDS have a religious reason for tracing family trees.)

I just know that I have English roots - possibly some French, and of course plenty of Irish.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

i would love to research my family tree but it would be majorly complicated since my grandad was from germany, my gran from england and my other set of grandparents from Northern ireland to then add in to the mix that all four grandparents have divorced and at some point remarried.

Might do it eventually but i can see anything coming of it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    There's some information on the thread called, err, "Family Trees" about this, may be useful.

(OK, the other thread called "Family Trees")

Having posted above my Uncle in Australia contacted my Aunty to inform her that he'd now managed to trace my Great-(great?)-Grandad and so the tree can be continued. It's quite impressive really, he's managed to put 6100 names on it already from all sorts of brances

xXx

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I tried to research my family tree.. and got as far back as my Dad

Seems like the tree above my Dad has been chopped down, logged, burnt and the ashes scattered to the four winds never to be spoken of again.

It PROBABLY coincidental but all my old maiden aunts etc on my fathers side who could have helped me with the truth have all died relatively young. :suspicious look:

I know that my REAL biological grandfather was actually an Italian P.O.W. but I don't know his name.. so hit an immediate dead end there.
    Look for old letters, you will be amazed at the useful information that can be found in these - including those written by family members of the ones you are interested in - families will gossip

the other thing is are you interested in your genetic family tree or your emotional one?

Quote Originally Posted by jive_me View Post
    My Uncle researched our family tree and traced my Dad's family way way back. He found out that one of our ancestors is Alexander Selkirk who was the basis for the story of Robinson Crusoe.

We can't trace back as far from my mum's side. There's no birth certificate or anything for my Great-Grandad who we believe was from Ireland. The Irish records office burned down and so we think that's how he got lost. (((If anyone could help with that (ie. how would I go about finding him???) that would be helpful )))

xXx
    Parish records & Cenus records can be useful when you can't locate birth certificate - also double check you are looking for them under the right name - and the correct spelling - check for variations

on of my great something or other Grandmothers - went her entire life under the name Flora - inlcuding signing legal documents as Flora Wise - when infact her name was Elizabeth - my great Aunt was adament that my great whatever's Grandmothers name was Flora and that I was all wrong about Elizabeth - until I showed her the ships listing for the family when they immigrated to Aus

another helpful source can be family bibles

I descend from the Palmer part of "Huntley and Palmer" biscuits. The are various places in Reading called things like Palmer Park, Palmer Factory, Palmer Row etc.
    Apparently the Reading football team used to known as the biscuit men

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post

I descend from the Palmer part of "Huntley and Palmer" biscuits. The are various places in Reading called things like Palmer Park, Palmer Factory, Palmer Row etc.
    Apparently the Reading football team used to known as the biscuit men
    First Move, the Biscuit Man. That has a certain crunch to it. I know you like your moves; how about patenting the Biscuit Basket, or the Palmer Pretsel, or even the Huntley Hatchback.

How about this resource:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Anyone with Scottish relatives or ancestors can find all of the parish records as well as national records - also has links to other sites and has advice and help sections

As far as I remember, search is free, however downloading records costs a little - but then if you are in Australia or anywhere else (even in Scotland) apart from Edinburgh (where direct access is possible with an appointment system) then the amount you pay for the information beats a flight or other travel prices.

I haven't used it much, but I do have friends who use it regularly... I also remember that the first series of "Who Do You Think You Are?" said that this is one of the most comprehensive sites in the world - aparently England's records are more widely spread - particularly their Parish records - which I think stayed in the individual churches. Scotland must have had copies of these records centralised in Edinburgh, even before the Internet helped out.

Hope this ramble helps you all

Librarian Whitetiger

Thread Information