Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DJ trouble

Re: DJ trouble

Here, here.

Or someone having trouble with someone called DJ...
    You need a thread for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I love dancing to any kind of music as long as there is room to play.. I hate the same 8 beats being repeated over and over again, it drives me crazy.. I'm not a 'moves monkey', I love to actually dance, I love to listen to the music, play with the words, use the breaks and use the music to make changes in my dancing tempo..

I love dancing to fast stuff, slow stuff, latin, swing.. a bit of everything really, but that's just it, I want it all in one night, I want a mix.. I hate going to a venue and hearing the majority of it being only one type of music, unless it's blues/swing.. haha, that's my favorite! But seriously, I don't mind this "thump thump" music, but it's not something I wanna hear for the majority of the night, I can put up with it if the DJ will play a mixture of genres of music.

It's a shame when DJ's do a full night of "thump thump" music, and if it doesn't change I'd be forced to look elsewhere for a dance venue because to me, that situation would be torture! Not everyone likes the same music, not everyones dancing style is the same, so because of this, DJ's should play a mix of everything to ensure everyone gets a little of what they want.

Sorry if I kinda went off on a bit of a rant lol, it's one thing that can get me moaning tho - bad music! lol.

I can and will (at least try to!) dance to anything - the fact that I don't like a particular track or a particular type of music will not stop me dancing to it, but if there is too much of one type of music (except blues!) it can start to get a bit boring. If it's not blues all the time, then it's got to be a mix.

I have taken tracks along for DJs to play, and most of the time have been told 'you can't dance to that!'. Well I can - surely I can't be the only one! Isn't it worth giving it a try? One of my tracks did get played once, but the DJ said there was hardly anyone dancing - I have to admit as soon as it came on I just grabbed the nearest guy and immersed myself, so didn't notice how many others were dancing!

Our DJ hates the Mavericks.
    He gets requests for the Mavericks.
    He plays the Mavericks. (But very rarely)
    He plays a very varied mix, and I enjoy my evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    ... When a DJ blindly plays requests from the floor they're suspending that judgement in favour of someone else's, and not doing the job that I pay them for.
    Not disagreeing as such, but I would have assumed they would have the gear, skills and judgement to listen/preview the requested tracks before they play them.

And come to a balanced judgement as to whether they are reasonable, and where to fit them in the playlist.

Ceroc DJ

Anyone can give me a CD of songs and I'll have a listen to them. That I can guarantee because I don't put myself out there as being superior in musical knowledge. You'll have songs I've never heard of and might work so by all means inform me about them.

What I can't guarantee is that those songs will get played. Maybe I've played them before and they didn't go down well, maybe I think they're too challenging for the crowd that night or perhaps it's something like Bob the Builder or Crazy Frog that regardless if the paying public want to hear that - I ain't playing ball!

I'll try and play requests but just because a DJ doesn't play your specific request, doesn't make them arrogant or a bad DJ - they're just trying to do their job.

(Genie: if they play on your CD player at home, then they'll work on the venue equipment. Just burn it off your computer. Feel free to bring me one in this Thursday - but heed the Crazy Frog warning above!)

Thumbs up Re: DJ trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian (DJ) View Post

What I can't guarantee is that those songs will get played. Maybe I've played them before and they didn't go down well, maybe I think they're too challenging for the crowd that night or perhaps it's something like Bob the Builder or Crazy Frog that regardless if the paying public want to hear that - I ain't playing ball!
    Thank goodness finally a DJ who doesn't think that the crazy frog is the best dance track in the world!!!

The Forum Legend

Oh, and I work in the entertainment industry Trampy - what's your excuse?
    I'm a student!

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I keep on thinking this thread is about "trouble" learning to be a DJ.
    No, it's about a match made in Heaven....

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    No, it's about a match made in Heaven....
    I just got that

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_4711 View Post
    {snip}
    I have taken tracks along for DJs to play, and most of the time have been told 'you can't dance to that!'. Well I can - surely I can't be the only one! Isn't it worth giving it a try?
    {snip}
    That's what I can't stand, you give DJ's a song that's perfectly dancable, and they go "You can't dance to that!!!".. I find a few DJ's at larger venues are afraid to even try a song out, they'd rather stick to "thump thump" cos it's safe..

Its always worth a try dancing to something new, different and exciting...who wants to stick to safe???

It gives people a chance to experiment with different moves, tempo and style it can be really interesting and hey if it really doesn't work at least you've had a giggle trying

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by peppercorn View Post
    Its always worth a try dancing to something new, different and exciting...who wants to stick to safe???
    Probably about 94.3% of the dancing population!

Or about 5.7% of the forum population

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Probably about 94.3% of the dancing population!

Or about 5.7% of the forum population

why???

don't you get a buzz when you try something new and it works!

The Forum Legend

why???

don't you get a buzz when you try something new and it works!
    I do. I'm in the 94.3% of the forum population who likes that. But the forum aren't typical of the general dancing population. I'm sure that's not been said before though....

I do. I'm in the 94.3% of the forum population who likes that. But the forum aren't typical of the general dancing population. I'm sure that's not been said before though....
    Cool. I just love trying stuff thats a bit new....think as a result i'm getting a rep as someone who is fun to dance with but not necessarily good to dance with...I should prob be a bit more serious and pay a little more attention..but I regularly get told that it was the guys best dance of the evening!

The Forum Legend

but I regularly get told that it was the guys best dance of the evening!
    When are you coming to Scotland to visit then?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I'll try and play requests but just because a DJ doesn't play your specific request, doesn't make them arrogant or a bad DJ - they're just trying to do their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Not disagreeing as such, but I would have assumed they would have the gear, skills and judgement to listen/preview the requested tracks before they play them.

And come to a balanced judgement as to whether they are reasonable, and where to fit them in the playlist.
    I agree with both of you; trouble is when a punter turns up with their CD at the ready and the DJ won't play the tracks because he or she is doing their job properly ... then the punter comes on the Forum to whinge about how the DJ was so rubbish because they wouldn't play that track that everyone can dance to (surely?).

When are you coming to Scotland to visit then?
    Little bit far! would have to make a long weekend of it...If there are any large events though I would come for a visit!

You offering to pick me up from the airport (he he!)

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    I agree with both of you; trouble is when a punter turns up with their CD at the ready and the DJ won't play the tracks because he or she is doing their job properly ... then the punter comes on the Forum to whinge about how the DJ was so rubbish because they wouldn't play that track that everyone can dance to (surely?).
    OOH! sounds like someone has a chip!!

The Forum Legend

Little bit far! would have to make a long weekend of it...If there are any large events though I would come for a visit!

You offering to pick me up from the airport (he he!)
    There's the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom on the weekend of the 18/19 November. Should be a great weekend (as usual). See the CerocScotland website for details (link on the main page of the forum).

And I expect something could be arrange regarding the airport. Arrive on Thursday, and there's dancing in Perth. Stay until Monday night, and there's dancing in Dundee.

Thread Information