Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DJ trouble

Re: DJ trouble

Personally, I really like Curtain's choice in music. From my experiance it tends to more 'up to date' than Tramp or Adrian's sets*.

*Everyone plays a fairly eclectic mix: any bias is perhaps one or two tracks of a night.

The night in question is one of the busiest in Scotland if I'm not mistaken. I know the DJ is only part of the equation to make a sucessfull night, but if this part is seriously wrong, it will affect the numbers - I don't see any evidence of that.

I think that some of the perceived "problem" comes from people improving: They cannot think/listen beyond the realtivly easy 'thump thump' beat they started dancing to. So anything that has a 'thump thump' beat gets automatically labled and discarded as "dancable but with no musicality". And that expression and musicality can only be added into blues style dancing.
    Another cause may be peer pressure - not really deciding your opinion of a track by dancing to it or listening to it, but by what someone else says about it.

In my opinion any track can be danced to (and have fun dancing to it)... some are more challenging, and you have to have a partner that can read the music (or you) in a similar way, but nothing insurmountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Just in my opinion if you can't laugh at yourself for making a mistake or get up to a silly song just for the laugh, then I think you take it too seriously, but if that's what you enjoy, who am I to judge, I just let people get on with whatever they want, just as I want people to let me get on with what I want.
    I find that I don't really enjoy dancing unless I feel I am doing it reasonably well. It's not that I agonise over a mistake or can't laugh about them but generally the most pleasure in dancing comes from doing it as smoothly & flawlessly as possible. So that's what I would be aiming for.
    Ditto, dancing to a silly song just for a laugh. I could do it if it was what was expected of me but I wouldn't be getting any enjoyment out of it and it just wouldn't feel nice. I'd rather be sitting down having a nice chat until the DJ played something decent.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Ditto, dancing to a silly song just for a laugh. I could do it if it was what was expected of me but I wouldn't be getting any enjoyment out of it and it just wouldn't feel nice. I'd rather be sitting down having a nice chat until the DJ played something decent.
    You've had a spate of 'Last Christmas I gave you my heart!'
    at leicester then recently

again. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post

again. . . . .
    Dunno, I haven't been back since! So that's, oooh, let me see, at least £49 of mine that hasn't been donated to Phil Robert's bank account. Have you been? Is he still playing it? I suppose now we're into November the DJ can argue it's open season for it.

I find that I don't really enjoy dancing unless I feel I am doing it reasonably well. It's not that I agonise over a mistake or can't laugh about them but generally the most pleasure in dancing comes from doing it as smoothly & flawlessly as possible. So that's what I would be aiming for.
    I must admit, I really dislike dancing to 80's cheese songs, I just hate that genre of music.. If however I do get dragged up for a cheese song, I'll probably do the hand actions to them aswell while dancing to entertain myself lol.

I can cope with silly songs, silly songs are fun, but cheese really annoys me lol, specially when cheese actually TRYS to be real music.. lol

Dunno, I haven't been back since! So that's, oooh, let me see, at least £49 of mine that hasn't been donated to Phil Robert's bank account. Have you been? Is he still playing it? I suppose now we're into November the DJ can argue it's open season for it.
    Nah! I hate to say it JC but I've migrated back down to my dance homeland. I get to do Woking and Guildford again after about 4 years in the Midlands.
    Fleet, Ashtons, Jango, Hipsters, Surbiton ahhhh the good life!

There are a few regrets if you like - Don't get to dance with you which is always good nor to dance at Northampton (some of my all time faves dance there) and no that's it then. I miss you and Northampton Saints but I doubt it misses me hehehe.

But no Xmas tunes in the middle of summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post

again. . . . .
    He hasn't played it since July; I think after 3 weeks in a row when it was the last song, there were enough complaints that it finally filtered through.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_warwick View Post
    He hasn't played it since July; I think after 3 weeks in a row when it was the last song, there were enough complaints that it finally filtered through.
    Is he now playing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"??

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_warwick View Post
    Woo Hoo! So storming onto the stage at the end of the night and tearing him off a strip was all worthwhile. Mind you, I felt quite bad about it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trampy
    Is he now playing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"??
    Oi, I quite like that one. Not sure I could dance to it, mind. Bet you anything he still plays Zoot Suit Riot every week though. Do keep us informed, Mrs W!

The Forum Legend

Oi, I quite like that one. Not sure I could dance to it, mind. Bet you anything he still plays Zoot Suit Riot every week though. Do keep us informed, Mrs W!
    Ah. You wouldn't love it if the DJ played it at the end of all of hits sets though.

Took us a while, but we cured him of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I think that some of the perceived "problem" comes from people improving: They cannot think/listen beyond the realtivly easy 'thump thump' beat they started dancing to. So anything that has a 'thump thump' beat gets automatically labled and discarded as "dancable but with no musicality". And that expression and musicality can only be added into blues style dancing.
    Another cause may be peer pressure - not really deciding your opinion of a track by dancing to it or listening to it, but by what someone else says about it.

In my opinion any track can be danced to (and have fun dancing to it)... some are more challenging, and you have to have a partner that can read the music (or you) in a similar way, but nothing insurmountable.
    That's obvious for anyone who has ever seen you at a dance. You don't sit down

Anyway, please don't get me wrong, I am not saying 'all thump-thump' music is not-danceable. I am saying that non-stop thump-thump music is not my idea of an evening. But as has been proven, it is some people's ideal. I dance to tracks with the thump-thump beat which are very good tracks (with musicality to be found in them) so don't think I won't dance to any of them. I just don't like evenings that sound like your local chav club *sorry* I can't dance to that stuff all night

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

Oi, I quite like that one. Not sure I could dance to it, mind. Bet you anything he still plays Zoot Suit Riot every week though. Do keep us informed, Mrs W![/QUOTE]

I am told he still plays that one but there again he plays the same tracks ever week in the same order so you know when to get a drink or go to the toilets, and I bet he is playing the xmas song again

Thread Information