Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DJ trouble

DJ trouble

Ok, I have to ask - any regulars at my class on a Wednesday notice how awful the music is? Or is it just a group of us who have a problem? This was sparked off by the thread on 'should DJs know how to dance?'

This DJ is supplied by the venue, but I was talking to several of the intermediate dancers one night a few weeks ago and they were ALL complaining about the music. It was awful. So much 'clubbing dance' stuff. You know, "thump-thump" music. If we wanted a different track we'd have to request it. And wait 7 or 8 tracks to get it. He never seems to change the style. There's the occasional 'good' night, when we'll hear a few good tracks in a row, but all in all, it's not good for most of the intermediate dancers I've spoken to. Bill and I ended up trying to Blues to "I see you baby" by Groove Armarda (actually we didn't do a bad job :p But you get the idea?) No swing, latin, blues, etc. Nothing but 'Dance' music.

It's why a lot of us end up standing around watching the new people on the dance floor, or rushing downstairs to Chicago to catch the DJ there, who seems to play a wider variety of music.

A few of us have moved nights to a different class. Which is a shame, because the teacher is a good one. I just wish the music was more "varied."

Ok, rant over. I feel bad now
    Last edited by Genie; 27th-October-2006 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Edited for seriously bad grammar error :p

Ceroc DJ

Re: DJ trouble

I guess the answer to this is: it's all about taste. Aberdeen is quite unique in having three nights with three different DJ's. The Wednesday's pull the most of all three, so there must be a market for this. After all, some of the worst music out there, seems to also be the best-selling!

If Aberdeen dancers went to all three nights, I'm sure they would find one which is more to their taste, whether it is the bluesy Tuesday's with Trampy, my Thursday's (hard to describe - a bit of soul, jazz, disco and blues) or Paul's eclectic Wednesday's.

I get asked for 'thump thump' music all the time (I play dance music a lot less than I used to, although in my other DJ alter-ego, I'm really enjoying house at the moment - but I wouldn't try and play it at Ceroc), so there is a lot of people who want to dance to this.

Might be a stupid question, but have you spoke to Paul and made any requests or brought a CD in for him?

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian (DJ) View Post
    If Aberdeen dancers went to all three nights, I'm sure they would find one which is more to their taste, whether it is the bluesy Tuesday's with Trampy
    Is that the general impression of Tuesday nights? I probably play no more than 2-4 blues tracks on any given class night. Along with a few swing tracks, some latin tracks, a couple of R&B tracks, and maybe even some rock or 60's tracks occasionally (though I'll be the first to admit that the last 2 genres aren't really my forte). And probably more of the dreaded ( ) pop tracks than any of the above genres.

Variety is what I try to provide most nights...

The Forum Legend

Hmmm. Is it me, or are Aberdeen DJs going to get a reputation for never sleeping from this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    {snip)

Ok, rant over. I feel bad now
    Oh Ok If you feel bad then why post it?

I agree however that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am not backward in coming forward. I cannot comment on any nights up there in the cold.

But what I do think is, If you have something to say then say it. Don't ever feel bad for giving your opinion. We can all learn from the views of others.

The number one rule of sales is "Give the customer what they want" and if the majority of people ie. the PAYING public, want "thump-thump" music (whatever that is) then the dj should play it, the majority of the time.

Yes, we've requested. I believe I mentioned that in my post.

Wednesday nights pull the crowd mostly because the venue is so central. I haven't been to a thursday night since Station Hotel, I may swap nights.

I just feel that some of the dancers with more (sorry) style, are finding all the tump-thump music is driving them away, or driving them to drink ;-) I think the fact that Chicago is downstairs is now the main reason some of them go, and the reason a lot of them no longer turn up until late.

A lot of people can't make it to Culter, so Tuesday nights are not an option. I'll see about going on Thursdays instead, if the music is more varied? We used to enjoy thursdays before it moved to Station Hotel. I would just feel bad about abandoning Wednesday nights altogether.

s that the general impression of Tuesday nights? I probably play no more than 2-4 blues tracks on any given class night. Along with a few swing tracks, some latin tracks, a couple of R&B tracks, and maybe even some rock or 60's tracks occasionally (though I'll be the first to admit that the last 2 genres aren't really my forte). And probably more of the dreaded ( ) pop tracks than any of the above genres.

Variety is what I try to provide most nights...
    And for this I am deeply grateful sweety. We all are. Thing is, if we make a request of you, we're unlikely to hear "sorry, don't have that...it's not thump-thump" Why do I not like this style of music to dance to? It seems that the whole world is playing it. :p

So my taste in music is outdated then. Suddenly I feel old.

Ceroc DJ

Sorry Trampy, I seem to have generalised your music. From what forum users say, I was under the impression that blues was your forte, so apologies again.

Genie: I would recommend that you give all nights a try and see which one is more to your taste. Hopefully you'll like Thursdays. A lot of the Aberdeen crowd have their preferred night and maybe a night they're not so keen on, that's just life. The good thing is, there's variety and you are in a more fortunate position than a lot of other dancers around the country.

Maybe see you Thursday.

Ceroc DJ

Oh, and I work in the entertainment industry Trampy - what's your excuse?

I was under the impression that blues was your forte
    There's no answer to that really, is there.

I would recommend that you give all nights a try and see which one is more to your taste. Hopefully you'll like Thursdays. A lot of the Aberdeen crowd have their preferred night and maybe a night they're not so keen on, that's just life. The good thing is, there's variety and you are in a more fortunate position than a lot of other dancers around the country.

Maybe see you Thursday.
    Maybe you shall. I am lucky, I suppose, because I have transport to all nights with little difficulty. And I don't have other commitments on my time, unlike a lot of dancers. I used to enjoy Wednesday nights. I wonder what happened?

Btw, is it considered ok to hand a DJ a CD? And what formats would be required for the tracks? I've not done that before. I'd have thought it wouldn't go down well

Btw, is it considered ok to hand a DJ a CD? And what formats would be required for the tracks?
    I have given the DJ at Leicester an normal CD (at his request). It's one way of ensuring that there will be at least one track I like! I don't do it every week, I appreciate that not everyone likes my music, although the dance floor is always full when this track is played (Billy Idol, White Wedding).

Btw, is it considered ok to hand a DJ a CD? And what formats would be required for the tracks? I've not done that before. I'd have thought it wouldn't go down well
    I have tried this at (non MJ) dinner dances. At the request of the organisers who have booked and paid for the DJ. I have marked out appropriate tracks that are suitable for both MJ and 'muggle' dancing. The DJ has said OK, or has even said 'I have some of those songs already with me' - and then has proceeded to play only one of the requested tracks over the whole evening.

I still have no idea why some DJs resist suggestions and requests not only from the punters but also from the people who are paying them!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

I still have no idea why some DJs resist suggestions and requests not only from the punters but also from the people who are paying them!
    When you pay a DJ (when I pay a DJ, at any rate) I pay them for their musical taste and judgement; When a DJ blindly plays requests from the floor they're suspending that judgement in favour of someone else's, and not doing the job that I pay them for.

Whether they play requests from the employer is only a little different: it's like hiring a comedian and insisting they use your jokes. Sure it's your right, if you're footing the bill, but it's a bit pointless, don't you think?

A good DJ in a regular event should be pleased to receive CDs and suggestions of what to play. Even if they can't play the suggested tracks immediately (and playing more than one or two tracks from a CD is going to be difficult on a night – especially if they are unfamiliar tunes) it gives them a better idea of what one (and usually more) of their punters would like to dance to.

And maybe in future weeks they'll play them some more, or find inspiration in your suggestions for other tracks which will please even more people.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    When you pay a DJ (when I pay a DJ, at any rate) I pay them for their musical taste and judgement; When a DJ blindly plays requests from the floor they're suspending that judgement in favour of someone else's, and not doing the job that I pay them for.
    One of these DJs did a wedding party I was at once. While the buffet was being served beforehand he was playing a great range of music, mixing modern and classic. As soon as the wedding disco started he played all the same tired old 'wedding disco' tunes. Its the same songs every time - year after year. Starting the night (always) with I will survive... (except of course at the wedding party!)

And its not 'blindly playing requests from the floor' its a request, in advance of the music starting, to play some from a range of selected tracks - or even to get a hint from the suggested tracks at what type of music is preferred and select a few from his own playlist that fit that.

(Typically I've just shrugged, had an enjoyable evening anyway, knowing that I would be organising my own party soon after with most of the same people, and I could play my choice of music then.)

Whether they play requests from the employer is only a little different: it's like hiring a comedian and insisting they use your jokes.
    So OK then if he told the same jokes as he had last time, and the time before. You wouldn't think the person hiring should be able to ask that he does new material? (I don't think its a very good analogy anyway.)

When you pay a DJ (when I pay a DJ, at any rate) I pay them for their musical taste and judgement;
    Except when you're paying for the venue and the venue supplies the DJ. Which is the situation in this case.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    So OK then if he told the same jokes as he had last time, and the time before. You wouldn't think the person hiring should be able to ask that he does new material? (I don't think its a very good analogy anyway.)
    You're confusing two things. If they're a crap DJ, then they're a crap DJ. The complaint is then that they're not good at their job - not that they won't play what you ask them.

Except when you're paying for the venue and the venue supplies the DJ. Which is the situation in this case.
    There's a difference between telling the DJ which genre and style you want to hear (when it's your party) and giving them a playlist. If you tell them what tracks to play they're not a DJ any more - they're an audio technician.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I keep on thinking this thread is about "trouble" learning to be a DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I keep on thinking this thread is about "trouble" learning to be a DJ.
    Or someone having trouble with someone called DJ...
    Last edited by Lynn; 28th-October-2006 at 08:07 PM.

I love dancing to any kind of music as long as there is room to play.. I hate the same 8 beats being repeated over and over again, it drives me crazy.. I'm not a 'moves monkey', I love to actually dance, I love to listen to the music, play with the words, use the breaks and use the music to make changes in my dancing tempo..

I love dancing to fast stuff, slow stuff, latin, swing.. a bit of everything really, but that's just it, I want it all in one night, I want a mix.. I hate going to a venue and hearing the majority of it being only one type of music, unless it's blues/swing.. haha, that's my favorite! But seriously, I don't mind this "thump thump" music, but it's not something I wanna hear for the majority of the night, I can put up with it if the DJ will play a mixture of genres of music.

It's a shame when DJ's do a full night of "thump thump" music, and if it doesn't change I'd be forced to look elsewhere for a dance venue because to me, that situation would be torture! Not everyone likes the same music, not everyones dancing style is the same, so because of this, DJ's should play a mix of everything to ensure everyone gets a little of what they want.

Sorry if I kinda went off on a bit of a rant lol, it's one thing that can get me moaning tho - bad music! lol.

Thread Information