Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How was your Ceroc Class this week?

How was your Ceroc Class this week?

I attend the class in Belfast on Wednesdays. Last night the numbers were down probably due to the bad weather, although Belfast got off lightly compared to Northern Scotland.
    We did the routine that is number 7 on the Ceroc Beginners DVD: armjive push spin-slow comb-shoulder slide and basket.
    Only a few new people there last night compared to the large numbers of recent weeks. Danielle taking the class as usual, with Julie as her demo and Lynn and Linda doing Taxi.
    Had a few good dances with beginners and intermediates alike. Intermediate class quite good, although I find it a bit frustrating that I can't remember all the moves from the Intermediate routines, particularly during freestyle. How many Intermediate routines are there?
    I certainly enjoy Ceroc and we have a great crowd in Belfast, everyone is very friendly and newcomers are always made welcome, many of us have known each other for a few years now through other spheres of life.
    Didn't get to dance with Lynn this week, but will be seeking one next Wednesday!
    So how did everyone else's class go?

Re: How was your Ceroc Class this week?

Very tired unfortunately so i wasn't at my sharpest by a long stretch Learnt a few moves though, so it wasn't a waste

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Very tired unfortunately so i wasn't at my sharpest by a long stretch Learnt a few moves though, so it wasn't a waste
    Is that why you didn't come and say hello?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dallen View Post
    although I find it a bit frustrating that I can't remember all the moves from the Intermediate routines, particularly during freestyle. How many Intermediate routines are there?
    I certainly enjoy Ceroc and we have a great crowd in Belfast, everyone is very friendly and newcomers are always made welcome, many of us have known each other for a few years now through other spheres of life.
    Didn't get to dance with Lynn this week, but will be seeking one next Wednesday!
    So how did everyone else's class go?
    Welcome to the frustation of learning MJ!

There's probably around 700ish "officially recognised" moves, and as taught in lessons they're joined in groups or 3 or 4 as routines, so roughly MILLIONS!!

If you like a whole intermediate routine, practise after the lesson, then when you get home, write it all down. Either straight away, or the next day if your memory can handle it, write a description of how to do each move. The act of writing them helps to lock them in your memory.

If you need to, take the written version next week and do it all again!

I find that the taught routines don't always work well for me, so if there's just one move you liked, don't waste your effort trying to remember the ones you didn't like.

and most importantly, don't beat youself up about not remembering them all. No-one does, even if some of them look like they do. They've just been doing it for years longer than you.

Thx for asking, the class was fun but not really useable in freestyle (typical of this particular teacher).

HTH.

Ceroc Worcester today. Int. Class was a neckbreak, accordion variation, arm jive changing places, and a double basket variation. I struggled to get my timing the same as what was being taught: kept arriving at the end early. Alex had a cold, but was on good teaching form - managing to give us a few tips about the different moves. Also she spent time talking about the importance of the leader leading. Music to my ears - I wish the same thing got said at Ceroc Wythall.... ever.
    The DJ had his usual mix of standards and weird stuff. Dancing to a hard rock song was possibly a highlight, though it sure was tough to get the mood right for the whole dance. I ended up doing a lot of arm jivage to that one. I was dancing in trainers tonight, so I got to be bouncy and such. In retrospect, viewing the "crip walk" clips immediately before going out Cerocing may have been a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Is that why you didn't come and say hello?
    Um Was at the Grand on Monday but didnt make it to wessex house last night as i had other arrangements. Were you at the Grand?

EDIT: Just seen you answer in the compliments thread - i think that i must have missed you
    Last edited by Jhutch; 26th-October-2006 at 11:49 PM. Reason: saw other thread

Yep, I was at the Grand. And will be on Monday - so you can miss me again if you want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Yep, I was at the Grand. And will be on Monday - so you can miss me again if you want to...
    Sorry Not sure how i missed you Have you put on weight since your photo was taken or something? I am intending to be at the Grand next Monday too...but i finish a night shift at 8am that morning so i may be tired again Probably be that bored after working nights though that i will give it a go no matter what state i am in

The Forum Legend

Mine have all been fab. Lorna and Little Em have been the teachers, doing a great job as usual. The music hasn't been too bad, with some songs I like to dance to, some I don't mind, and some I really don't like (of course, I can't complain, being the DJ!).

And the social side has been fun too. We didn't go out for a drink after class on Tuesday, since most of the people who usually go were away this week (where were you Beo, Freya, Genie....?). But I've still had a good time....

Had a couple of good ones this week.

Wednesday at Sittingbourne - we did a busk (er, sorry Roadshow) on Saturday and we got a fair few new members from that (in fact I think one of the Taxis said everyone in the revision class was a first timer ... could be wrong). Did the Intermediate routine as a follower and also managed to learn it as a lead while in the queue, so was quite pleased with myself there ... especially as I can still remember all the moves (after a quick reminder last night anyway!)

Yesterday at Maidstone - quite a lot of people there, and got some good dances in. Had a good laugh while trying to lead a couple of ladies (not at the same time!) as for some reason every now and then they would end up leading (not backleading - actually swapping the lead) without either of us intending it to happen! Bizarre!

Also had a Triple Trouble (or whatever 3 ladies and one man in called!) dance on each night which were great fun!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_4711 View Post
    Also had a Triple Trouble (or whatever 3 ladies and one man in called!) dance on each night which were great fun!
    Probably a silly question, but how does that work then? Most men only having 2 arms and all...

Groovemeister

St. Neots was rammed with new people on tuesday. I don't think they could have got many more in if they tried. Isn't "strictly" wounderful for bringing new fodder along I think "Ceroc" should link of the BBC website.

Class wise fairly easy for me i do veriations of the moves they taught in the intermediates in freestlye anyway. I think most people got them by the end of the class. Only real problem was so many people that it got a bit awkward when moving around.

Don't ask me the names of the moves or the teacher as I am useless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Probably a silly question, but how does that work then? Most men only having 2 arms and all...
    You've obviously never seen the men in Maidstone!

Up here in Norfolk they just have webbed feet and extra thumbs.

Mrr James , have you not met many men who hail from Kent... an extra arm is common place

For large numbers of followers, the leader gets to leave some of them wiggling in place, while manipulating the others. Alternatively, you can do the blues train/stack thing. It gets silly quickly.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    For large numbers of followers, the leader gets to leave some of them wiggling in place, while manipulating the others. Alternatively, you can do the blues train/stack thing. It gets silly quickly.
    And people wonder why DT doesn't get taken seriously...

I reckon it's possible to lead 3 people, one with a body lead and 2 with hand leads - but not exactly easy.

Cancelled until further notice

We're not sure what we're going to do as our regular class has been cancelled so we're left without one. There are two others, both of which are further away, but one we really don't like the venue and the other clashes with another commitment.

Perhaps we have to move back south where we had so much more choice (or even to a more central part of Scotland). We are wondering about starting something new instead - perhaps ballroom - bt it wonn't be until after Christas as this is areally busy time of year for us both and we can't guarantee to get there every week.

Bop

Have you put on weight since your photo was taken or something?
    Er, don't you think this is a trifle rude? If you get to know this forum, you'll see that weight can be a sensitive issue. And no, I haven't.

I've PM'd you.
    Last edited by Twirly; 27th-October-2006 at 11:03 AM.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Twirly;298210]
    Have you put on weight since your photo was taken or something? QUOTE]

Er, don't you think this is a trifle rude? If you get to know this forum, you'll see that weight can be a sensitive issue. And no, I haven't.

I've PM'd you.
    No silly, a trifle's nice (especially with lots of brandy in it), a willy shaped cake is rude!

Trampy does it really well. He seems to include quite a lot of man spin things to change the two "active" partners frequently. He also uses his legs and other body parts to guide the third follower. It is nifty to watch.

Thread Information