Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The need for competition in London

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Need for Jango and Blues?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    WB, is there a monthly freestyle that you don't give your full support to?
    Not a freestyle, just her boobs!

Re: The need for competition in London

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    So is this Utopia a Ceroc thing or an independent thing? It's not clear from the site...
    Hi DJ, no we are doing it conjunction with Ceroc and it does have Mike's full suppport. We have deliberately played down the Ceroc connection on the holding page (although this won't be the case on the main site when it's launched next month) so that people don't assume that it will be just a normal Ceroc night.

Mine and Val's teaching style has always been more towards blues anyway so this is a natural extension of the way we dance and the music we love to dance to. It's also a natural progression for Ceroc to give people an alterantive dance night that fits more with how MJ is developing.

There's been a move towrads Blues, WCS, Jango and latin over the last 2 years and this has seen more dancers frequenting the chill out rooms at weekenders across the Country. So this is hopefully a way of encouraging even more people to get into this style of dancing on a regular basis. We know it's daunting for people to start and that's why we are also trying to encourage new chill out dancers to dance alongside those that are more experienced.

We think that the time is right now for a regular freestyle of this type and thought that it was worth trying. But I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKY View Post
    Hi DJ, no we are doing it conjunction with Ceroc and it does have Mike's full suppport. .....There's been a move towrads Blues, WCS, Jango and latin over the last 2 years and this has seen more dancers frequenting the chill out rooms at weekenders across the Country. ....We think that the time is right now for a regular freestyle of this type and thought that it was worth trying. But I guess we'll have to wait and see!
    Excellent! A perfect example of Ceroc moving to incorprate competition/customer requirements. Given the popularity and expertise of Dave and Val I'm sure it will be a great success. I really hope its supported .... use it or lose it is the maxim that tends to apply. I still feel for Pete Philips who put a lot of hard work into a similar project but was not supported by the dancing public.

Hi DJ, no we are doing it conjunction with Ceroc and it does have Mike's full suppport. [...]
    Interesting that what was meant to be a discussion on the need for competition to Ceroc in London turns into a discussion on a Ceroc-associated event in London(-ish)...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's been a move towrads Blues, WCS, Jango and latin over the last 2 years and this has seen more dancers frequenting the chill out rooms at weekenders across the Country. So this is hopefully a way of encouraging even more people to get into this style of dancing on a regular basis. We know it's daunting for people to start and that's why we are also trying to encourage new chill out dancers to dance alongside those that are more experienced.
    I wonder if maybe "chillout" is a good description? I'm not a big fan of the chillout room in Chiswick, it's never worked for me. And, to me "Blues, WCS, Jango and latin" covers a lot of ground - more so than "standard Ceroc music" in fact.

I agree that there has been a move in that direction - actually I'd say "moves" to "these directions" - but I don't know how much of a unified market this is. WCS dancers (snooty people that they are) aren't the same as Tango dancers (wonderful people that they are) and so on.

Still, it's great that this will be happening - good luck for the New Year.

WB, is there a monthly freestyle that you don't give your full support to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Not a freestyle, just her boobs!
    think that answers your question GobD But if you've got it flaunt it

(not that you'd know)

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    But if you've got it flaunt it

(not that you'd know)
    Maybe, but the sofa occupants at Daventry in the early hours of Sunday certainly would

Maybe, but the sofa occupants at Daventry in the early hours of Sunday certainly would
    That wasn't me Blame Fletch

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Looks just like ya
    Only slightly better looking

alterantive dance night
    Right up Dj's street then!

Anyway, welcome to the forum Rocky and I'd like to say, i'm really looking forward to new night, I hope its a great success!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I'd forgotten all about that Thanks for giving me that flashback!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I'd forgotten all about that Thanks for giving me that flashback!
    Hey they're a great pair I just wish I was given the opportunity to flash them myself

Would really love to try this new Utopia thing, but it's a bit too far for me to go. With a hubby who doesn't dance, I find myself having to sacrifice some of my dancing to keep things quiet(ish!) at home.

Really hope it's a success though - so much so that more and more start cropping up ... preferably a bit closer to me!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I wonder if maybe "chillout" is a good description? I'm not a big fan of the chillout room in Chiswick, it's never worked for me. And, to me "Blues, WCS, Jango and latin" covers a lot of ground - more so than "standard Ceroc music" in fact.

I agree that there has been a move in that direction - actually I'd say "moves" to "these directions" - but I don't know how much of a unified market this is. WCS dancers (snooty people that they are) aren't the same as Tango dancers (wonderful people that they are) and so on.

Still, it's great that this will be happening - good luck for the New Year.
    I think you're right 'chill out' is the wrong description as some people assume that it's a room that you can go to for some peace and quiet! At Bliss I lost count of the number of times that Val and I were asked where the 'quiet room' was.

As regards dance styles and music, again you're right, people that prefer different genres are different animals altogether. However, our aim is to play music that is interesting and challneging across the board and there generally won't be more than 2 or 3 tracks of any one style played at a time. Also, the empasis will be on the best music we can find to represent the different styles: we don't just want to play a tango track or WSC style track just because that's what it sounds like without it having some kind of quality feel to it in the way that the music is constructed. That way even if it's not the kind of music that you don't want to dance to you should still enjoy listening to it from the sidelines.

Thanks also for the kind wishes. I have to say that it wasn't our intention to start talking about the concept for about another month or so, but Gus' post and comments were so close to where we are going that it would have been churlish to ignore the opportunity!

That way even if it's not the kind of music that you don't want to dance to you should still enjoy listening to it from the sidelines.
    Sorry, what a wassock! That'll teach me to post without reading it thoroughly. That sentence should have read like this (without the double negative).

'That way even if it's not the kind of music that you want to dance to you should still enjoy listening to it from the sidelines.'

Thread Information