Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Simon Boreland - visionary or cynical manipulator?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Simon Boreland - visionary or cynical manipulator?

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Could some kind moderator please correct the spelling of Simon's last name in the title? It's really getting on my nerves....

Thanks
    Do you not think that maybe it's an intentional play on his name?
    Edit: Just seen DJs post! Maybe i'm turning into a female DJ, aargh!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Emu was arguably more overt in his atrocities
    Brave man - you realise of course that Northants Girly is now gunning for you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Do you not think that maybe it's an intentional play on his name?
    Edit: Just seen DJs post! Maybe i'm turning into a female DJ, aargh!!
    OK, all this echo-ing is freaking me out now.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I think there's plenty of scope to continue. For example: who was most evil? Orville, Emu, or your chemistry teacher? Emu was arguably more overt in his atrocities, but I'm still plugging for Orville - his less-than-exemplary targetting skills notwithstanding - mainly because he was a lot more creepy

It's a shame they scrapped the plans to use him as a Bond villain - I think he would have been quite unforgettable in that role...
    You're all wrong. The smart money is on Sweep.

I hate to be lawyerish, but I think those posting on this and the other "Boreland" threads should exercise a little caution. It's one thing to be critical of the event on Friday 20 October at the Hippodrome; it's quite another to make derogatory and, arguably, defamatory statements about him.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Spin dryer View Post
    I hate to be lawyerish
    Me too. I think I'll be a surf coach when I finish!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    .... but he left me (and others) feeling a bit "used". It would have been nicer if he could have found a way that avoided that.
    I agree with that. It would have been nicer. In fairness I don't think anyone organizing this expected such a negative reaction from people.

When I left on Friday night I knew some people would be surprised at the announcement, but I didn't think anyone would be upset by it. I thought people would be excited about a new club opening in Central London. And what a cool way to announce it too!

I was really shocked and surprised to read so much negativity about the night. I thought it was really special. I have never been to a modern jive event quite like it. It is not somewhere that I would personally choose to frequent, but I think its existence enriches our culture the same way the National Gallery does, even though I never go.

I think that if Simon had known certain people would have felt 'used' he may have taken steps to avoid it. I don't know him very well so I can't say. Either way, I still think the way some people are reacting it too much. At the most it was 'not nice.' Most of us are probably unintentionally not very nice several times a day. The end result though is a venture that I think deserves support.

Commercial Operator

Just to make it clear I am not in any way involved in promoting or organizing jivenation. I volunteered to do a cabaret there because I wanted to for my own selfish reasons - get it filmed on a professional stage. But my involvement ended there.

In fact last Monday we made a loss at Meltdown for the first time ever, maybe because of the new Monday night competition. So why am I defending the event and Simon so much?

I have no idea. Stupidity, probably.

But it is hard to start something new, for a new market. Like Get a Grip says, you do all the hard work, then a bigger organization can easily come along and make a profit out of your experimentation. It would be cool to see more new things encouraged and supported, not shot down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    In fact last Monday we made a loss at Meltdown for the first time ever, maybe because of the new Monday night competition.
    Given the numbers involved (in both venues), I don't expect Simon's venue affected Meltdown much. There were loads of people at Finchley, maybe they all went there?

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Get a grip View Post
    Yes.... and then you go on to say...

So let me get this straight... you have said that 'he has been extremely stupid both legally and professionally in his actions, he has well and truly burnt all bridges with Ceroc and, I would imagine, left himself wide open to prosecution by them' and then you say 'Simon has done nothing wrong by launching his own venture, and advertising it in whichever way he sees fit.'

Which is it then??

So in your eyes it's ok to be liar, a cheat and a thief is it?
    Not at all, as I have said, I can completely understand Ceroc being upset that he has targetted their customers (hard not to really) but as a potential customer, I do not feel I was fooled in anyway.

No, you were SACKED as a taxi dancer Amanda, you didn't leave of your own accord... remember now? Or would you like me to elaborate more?

So pick the bones out of that one...
    I have no idea who you are, but you are completely wrong on that score. I left Ceroc, as I was so unhappy, I had a number of correspondences from people at Ceroc saying they were sorry about the situation, and asking me to return, I did, temporarily, then one more thing was said which made me decide I could no longer continue to work for the organisation. I still have a copy of the email that I sent, and all responses back, and would be happy to make them public, if you like?
    Last edited by TiggsTours; 25th-October-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    Not at all, as I have said, I can completely understand Ceroc being upset that he has targetted their customers (hard not to really) but as a potential customer, I do not feel I was fooled in anyway.
    I'm not sure that anyone from Ceroc has ever said that he's targetted their customers, or that anyone from Ceroc has said they're upset about anything he's done. In fact I'm fairly confident that no-one from Ceroc has ever said anything at all about this. So please let's not jump to conclusions.

TiggsTours

I'm not sure that anyone from Ceroc has ever said that he's targetted their customers, or that anyone from Ceroc has said they're upset about anything he's done. In fact I'm fairly confident that no-one from Ceroc has ever said anything at all about this. So please let's not jump to conclusions.
    Sorry, I should have made that clearer, I'm not saying they are upset, I'm just saying I would understand if they were upset.

Blog Entries

So, back to these emus...

.....then one more thing was said which made me decide I could no longer continue to work for the organisation.
    Yes,I know what that one thing was....YOU'RE SACKED!

I'm not sure that anyone from Ceroc has ever said that he's targetted their customers, or that anyone from Ceroc has said they're upset about anything he's done. In fact I'm fairly confident that no-one from Ceroc has ever said anything at all about this. .
    ...and I'm not sure that anyone from Ceroc has ever said anything on this Forum full-stop. Shame really, maybe Ceroc has missed an opportuntity to communicate with the masses.

Yes,I know what that one thing was....YOU'RE SACKED!
    Try playing NICE (Yeah, I know , pot calling kettle black etc) ... but there is no need to get another thread taken outside just because GAG wants to carry out a personal vendetta. If you've got problem .. use the PM system. ..... seems to be a lot of anger .... either someone is a Ceroc evangelist or simply not getting any ..... answers as to what the any is on the back of a postcard please.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    So, back to these emus...
    I'm still traumatised by your implication of a vendetta from the emu-loving contingent, and by ESG's mention of The-Glove-Puppet-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. They never did solve the mystery of Sooty's grisly murder - but .... we all knew ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ...and I'm not sure that anyone from Ceroc has ever said anything on this Forum full-stop. Shame really, maybe Ceroc has missed an opportuntity to communicate with the masses.
    An act of self preservation I think.

Can you imagine how much anything they said would be twisted and taken out of context by people with agendas? Especially if someone’s personal view is interpreted as being an official Ceroc HQ position.

TiggsTours

Again.

Try playing NICE (Yeah, I know , pot calling kettle black etc) ... but there is no need to get another thread taken outside just because GAG wants to carry out a personal vendetta. If you've got problem .. use the PM system. ..... seems to be a lot of anger .... either someone is a Ceroc evangelist or simply not getting any ..... answers as to what the any is on the back of a postcard please.
    I have just PMd GAG my email that I sent to Ceroc telling them of my decision to leave, I can also PM him the email I received telling me that I am a valuable member of the crew and they hope I reconsider. If anyone else wants to see them, let me know, but I'm sure that none of the rest of you really care!

(Yawning smillie needed, once more).

I'd love to know what GAG's personal issue is with me, I have asked him privately to let me know, but he won't.

Commercial Operator

I have just PMd GAG my email that I sent to Ceroc telling them of my decision to leave,
    You know - I'd always thought getting sacked by Ceroc was quite a hip and trendy thing to do. You're obviously just not as cool as I thought

Thread Information