Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Boreland - visionary or cynical manipulator?

Re: Simon Boreland - visionary or cynical manipulator?

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    They are very unusual in London. And this one does seem to have started in a particularly underhand way.
    Hey, not even close to underhand. Rumour is a club up here got started by a teacher announcing from stage, as they were teaching for the last time, that they were starting a new club in direct competition. Must admit, that takes some real b*lls.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Hey, not even close to underhand. Rumour is a club up here got started by a teacher announcing from stage, as they were teaching for the last time, that they were starting a new club in direct competition. Must admit, that takes some real b*lls.
    That would at least be honest. This wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Get a grip View Post

If Simon wants to try and break a new market more fool he. If it works I guess Ceroc will look at it more closely and could easily put him out of business if they wanted to.

I don't think SOB realizes that he is doing some very valuable R&D for Ceroc at his own expense -
    Gosh it must be so nice for Ceroc to be perched on the top of that pedestal. Thing is with pedestal you never now when they might fall.

One thing is for sure in life, if you never try and have a go, you will never make a mistake, for someone who has spent most of my life taking chances, I say good you him for taking a chance, I wish him all the look in the world, and if I could be there on a Monday I would, if its open on a Bank holiday i'll travel the 4 hours to support him.

Go for it Simon

If Simon wants to try and break a new market more fool he.
    Why fool? You may not like the guy all but all credit to those who try something new. History shows that those who are first in the game CAN make it big.

If it works I guess Ceroc will look at it more closely and could easily put him out of business if they wanted to.
    And how could they put him out of business?

I don't think SOB realizes that he is doing some very valuable R&D for Ceroc at his own expense - more rope anyone?
    And who could Ceroc put up against SB. I don't think any of their teachers have got a bigger mouth or ego ... and thats maybe what it would take. Being slightly more objective, why should Ceroc want to? they have got a capable business model that already works but still needs more marketing investment. It would make far more sense to focus on their core market.

Commercial Operator

And how could they put him out of business?
    They could cut his feet off. That one usually works quite well, I've found

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

If one drinks enough, one usually ends up horizontal anyway
    I see you have been out with Witty then

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    I'm sorry, but I really don't see that either Ceroc or Simon are going for any particular "market"? Just because he's holding it at the Hippodrome, doesn't mean he's aiming for a "young" market, and just because Ceroc tend to hold theirs in town hall's doesen't mean they're going for any other kind. They are both aiming their marketing at absolutely anyone who might be remotely interested in dancing, and that is not in anyway an "exclusive market" and Ceroc have no rights over them legally.
    Well, choice of venue determines market, to a large degree.

And the Hippodrome is not a venue to attract - for example - 40-something married / divorced people, whose main mode of transport by car, living in the suburbs. It's a venue to attract a club(-ish) demographic, which means 18-25s. The choice of music on Friday also sounds like it reflected this.

Pretty much every leisure business has some demographic targetting - at least, successful ones do.

However, the fact that Simon's advertising of this was really aimed at Ceroc members, some of it through the "Ceroc" forum (that's how I was contacted, how many others?), and I understand that he also mentioned it at a Ceroc weekender, and as a celebration of his 250th class taught for Ceroc, would show that legally they would have a point, if they chose to prosecute.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - IANAL but I don't know if he's completely in the clear. Just that he could make those sort of "empty market" arguments in court, if it came to that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what Simon has done, or is doing, but I do think that, legally and professionally, he has been extremely stupid in the way he's gone about it.
    Well, I'd put it rather as "he's made a couple of howling mistakes" - but that's life, starting up a new business involved mistakes. The trick is to learn from them, and not repeat them.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Although I still want to know what the problem with "vertical drinking" is
    "Vertical drinking" is people drinking standing up. You tend to get more "disturbances" from groups of people drinking standing up, than when sitting down. Hope that helps clear up your confusion.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I really can't be bothered to get into the whole argument, but I have to pick up on all the comments about the music at the party on Friday. I didn't personally particularly enjoy it, because I like variety and I wasn't in the mood to dance to 'fast and thumpy', but for the venue and the target audience ("club(-ish) demographic, which means 18-25s" to quote DavidJames), it was just right.

A certain friend of mine had a much better time on Friday than at a normal Ceroc night in London, despite knowing only five people there, because the music was of a type where if she didn't have a partner she was quite happy 'doing a fletch' or just enjoying 'her' type of music, and although she didn't dance much she would happily go again. Even more so if she finds in future that the crowd are a similar age to her, with similar tastes etc.

I think the nature of a club-style venue is that, particularly if you play the kind of music that might be heard in a normal club, you are likely to get fewer people dancing at a time, because they are used to standing around chatting, drinking, or dancing on their own at the side. Therefore the small floor space doesn't necessarily limit the number of people (except for classes), so you can bring in loads of people - turnover will be high, learning rate will be slow, but it will be mostly young people and mostly having a great time.

Blog Entries

Hey, not even close to underhand.
    Exactly. There's been a lot worse. And it's not as if you didn't have your suspicions, ESG. And you all got a free party out of it. That's more than your Average Underhand Startup normally offers!

So why all the pontificating on possible legal challenges? Ceroc™ don't have a monopoly on MJ classes - even here in The Capital. Simon Borland didn't JUST target Ceroc™ bigwigs - I saw the invitation on uk-jive.

*** - it's just another MJ night. (Although I'm impressed about the variety of classes on offer on The Website That Mustn't Be Mentioned). Let's just keep a sense of proportion.

That would at least be honest. This wasn't.
    Working for a competitor whilst being paid by your employer is "honest" ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    So why all the pontificating on possible legal challenges?
    'Coz I like to pontificate, it's good for the soul.

Ceroc™ don't have a monopoly on MJ classes - even here in The Capital.
    Don't they?

Can you name one other non-Ceroc large-scale mainstream MJ class in London (Jango does not count)? AFAIK, Hipsters was the last one until now.

*** - it's just another MJ night. (Although I'm impressed about the variety of classes on offer on The Website That Mustn't Be Mentioned). Let's just keep a sense of proportion.
    No, hysteria and religious denunciation is more fun! Burn him!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Depends on whether your employer ever finds out

Blog Entries

It's not exactly ethical - however, it's the best way to start up your own business, and not exactly unheard of....

Anybody would think the chap committed murder, or something, the way everyone's going on. It's Just. Another. Dance. Class.

Blog Entries

Anybody would think the chap committed murder, or something, the way everyone's going on.
    Really?

I dunno, I don't get the impression that everyone's favourite demon is now Mr Borland. In fact, I don't think there's that much of a consensus one way or t' other - if anything, people mostly seem to think it's a good idea. Which is right, of course, because it's my opinion.

I should be shot for saying this, but maybe we should have a poll?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Can you name one other non-Ceroc large-scale mainstream MJ class in London (Jango does not count)? AFAIK, Hipsters was the last one until now.
    Why doesn't Jango count?
    Hipsters wasn't that long ago, neither.
    And does it have to be large-scale? There's a few independents listed on uk-jive. Dunno what they teach, nor the size of their classes....

And .... are you sitting comfortably, DJ?... there is a world OUTSIDE London.

The Forum Legend

Why doesn't Jango count?
    Hipsters wasn't that long ago, neither.
    Because it's a small club that's almost a private one?

Wasn't Hipsters over about 18 months ago. Apart from the BFF's, which don't count?

Personally, I think that Simon might have maybe started up in the wrong way. Having said that, I don't think that it's quite as bad as some people have been saying (without having experienced it myself of course).

And I wish him all the best. I doubt that I'll be going - it's a little far, and if I was in London on a Monday, I'd be at Jango (isnt' it called Meltdown now though?) for Sheepy's music, and Sparkles' cake (not to mention the dances with her!). But it'll be interesting to see how it does, and whether or not it does provide a new way into MJ for a different group of people who might appreciate the more clubby feel.

Oh, and if it was solely thump-thump music, isn't that just Simon going back to his Aussie roots (of 2 years ago)? Were the DJs allowed to play anything other than Sash?

The Forum Legend

And .... are you sitting comfortably, DJ?... there is a world OUTSIDE London.
    Oh. And don't be silly. Except for Scotland of course.

But Bristol definitely doesn't count!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Who was doing that? In the example given he quit one week, and started up the next.

Was it honest to be planning his own class while still teaching for someone else? Strictly speaking, no; but in the same way it's not strictly honest to browse the sits-vac columns or apply for new jobs - until you've quit your old one - but that's not how the world works.

The dishonestly I was referring to was to his (potential) customers - concerning the reason behind the party. You may burn your bridges with your former employer when you leave, one accepts that. But it seems dubious to burn the bridges with your customers before you've even built them.

Who was doing that? In the example given he quit one week, and started up the next.
    Interesting that you assumed it to be a bloke

Thread Information