Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kettering or Rugby?

Kettering or Rugby?

Next Thursday I have a choice of either Kettering or Rugby Ceroc nights. Any opinions on what the two evenings have to offer? Given the choice, I would plump for the one with the more interesting music and the friendliest people....

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Kettering or Rugby?

Kettering is a larger venue with probably a few more experienced dancers.
    The music at Rugby will definately be better than Kettering. They both have really nice floors, plenty of parking space. I think Marc and Rachel are still teaching at Rugby and JiveP (Paul Harris) teaches at Kettering. Both have friendly crowds but I think Rugby wiill be more welcoming as it's a smaller venue.
    Hope this helps a little bit.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

A few weeks ago I went to Kettering and it was pretty dead (but Paul (Jivep) wasn't teaching that night)

Recently I've heard very good reviews about Rugby on Thursdays

Thanks Cruella and NG - looks like on balance Rugby is favourite. My daughter has just moved to Rugby so I think I need to check out the venue sometime soon....

Commercial Operator

Angelique and I went to Kettering last Thursday...

Thank goodness we were together!

The music was average, Angelique and I spent a lot of time dancing together, and considering how bad my lead is - Angelique must've been desperate

The venue is lovely, and I used to have a good time there, but I think it has obviously suffered from being closed for a while and it is taking time to build back up again.

Perhaps if you went as part of a crowd it would be a fun evening - but if you're looking for interesting music, you might wanna consider elsewhere

Haven't been to Rugby so really couldn't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Angelique and I went to Kettering last Thursday...

Thank goodness we were together!

The music was average, Angelique and I spent a lot of time dancing together, and considering how bad my lead is - Angelique must've been desperate

The venue is lovely, and I used to have a good time there, but I think it has obviously suffered from being closed for a while and it is taking time to build back up again.

Perhaps if you went as part of a crowd it would be a fun evening - but if you're looking for interesting music, you might wanna consider elsewhere

Haven't been to Rugby so really couldn't comment.

If there are dancers like Snowwhite and Angelique at Kettering and they cannot get a dance that is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    If there are dancers like Snowwhite and Angelique at Kettering and they cannot get a dance that is the place to go.
    Indeed.....but were they the exception on the night, I wonder.

I would definately go to Rugby.... they are very welcoming there and the DJ Chris is fab as i hear....

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Em View Post
    I would definately go to Rugby.... they are very welcoming there and the DJ Chris is fab as i hear....

The teaching has improved lately too.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Em View Post

Well - belatedly - I did make it to Rugby and it was well worth it, even through I didn't arrive till 10.00! The first thing I noticed was the amazing music from Chris F the DJ...shades of the Southport blues room and all this at an ordinary Ceroc club night in the West Midlands...... I was later told this type of music (largely bluesy, swingy, tango-ish) was played all evening and so the beginners were used to hearing it. And they learnt to dance to it. This guy has seriously good taste in music. 'Whatever Lola Wants' as the penultimate track....was I dreaming or was this really Thursday in Rugby?

Then almost immediately a couple of dances with the lovely Rachel (she and Mark were teaching). Several other very enjoyable dances - excellent floor, friendly crowd - and then some drinks and chatting in the bar till almost 12.30or so.

In addition to Rachel, good to meet up with Northants Girly (sadly no dance though), Kate (not on the Forum), and others. I'm looking forward to my next visit and would certainly recommend Rugby.

I don't understand that comment?? Am I being particularly thick??

Have to say ...it would have been nice to have had more dances, more choices but Snow White was THE perfect company that night!
    She even propositioned me......bit I couldn't possibly say what on here!

Get her to tell you all about her most memorable dance of the evening and how she survived!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelique View Post

I don't understand that comment?? Am I being particularly thick??
    My chance to use:- "Some might say that, but I could not possibly comment." /

I believe Yogi is a guy. It is most guys dream to have dancers like you (by report, I could not identify you.) and Snow White (whom I know) free for a dance. The fact that Kettering had ladies that allegedly got chosen in preference to the pair of you is, IMO, a sure sign of a paradise for the guys.

Actually you are not being thick. I thought after I had posted that the comment was too obscure.

Kind words young man, kind words!

We have never met yet dance in the same neck of the woods...nedds to be rectified me thinks!

Paradise is NOT a word I would have used to have described that night at Kettering!

Quote Originally Posted by angelique View Post
    Kind words young man, kind words!

We have never met yet dance in the same neck of the woods...nedds to be rectified me thinks!
    Be careful what you wish for ...

Paradise is NOT a word I would have used to have described that night at Kettering!
    I want you to know that a vast surplus of ladies is something that I really grieve over, unless, of course, I am there.

My chance to use:- "Some might say that, but I could not possibly comment." /

I believe Yogi is a guy. It is most guys dream to have dancers like you (by report, I could not identify you.) and Snow White (whom I know) free for a dance. The fact that Kettering had ladies that allegedly got chosen in preference to the pair of you is, IMO, a sure sign of a paradise for the guys.

Actually you are not being thick. I thought after I had posted that the comment was too obscure.
    Yes, Yogi is a guy (BigD, we have met ) and I have also had the pleasure of dancing with Angelique (though not, as far as I know, with Snow White) - but plans are afoot to rectify that situation .
    The prospect of dancing with Angelique and S White (both at the same time? ) is enough to tempt me to Kettering again.....though on the evidence of last Thursday, Rugby would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear View Post
    Yes, Yogi is a guy (BigD, we have met ) and I have also had the pleasure of dancing with Angelique (though not, as far as I know, with Snow White) - but plans are afoot to rectify that situation .
    The prospect of dancing with Angelique and S White (both at the same time? ) is enough to tempt me to Kettering again.....though on the evidence of last Thursday, Rugby would be even better.
    Since they would not have been at Kettering and Marc and Rachel would have been at Rugby I would say that you made the right choice.

Since they would not have been at Kettering and Marc and Rachel would have been at Rugby I would say that you made the right choice.
    Yes....I think I did!

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

After reading all the good comments about Rugby I will give it another chance and go again, I went with a friend about six months ago and the dj that night played the worse music I had ever heard all that heavy rock and really loud, even one of the regulars brought in a cd of his and ask the dj to play it but he did not, so have not been back since only go to the freestyles which are always good It is a bit far for me to travel in the week but since I don't go to the Leics venue which is my locial and I am sorry to say it has not improved from the comments I hear I am going to have to travel that bit more. By the way does Marc and Rachel take the class ever week?

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    After reading all the good comments about Rugby I will give it another chance and go again, I went with a friend about six months ago and the dj that night played the worse music I had ever heard all that heavy rock and really loud, even one of the regulars brought in a cd of his and ask the dj to play it but he did not, so have not been back since only go to the freestyles which are always good It is a bit far for me to travel in the week but since I don't go to the Leics venue which is my locial and I am sorry to say it has not improved from the comments I hear I am going to have to travel that bit more. By the way does Marc and Rachel take the class ever week?

Definitely no heavy rock and not at all loud compared with other places. Don't know about Marc and Rachel (one of the regulars may tell us......). Well worth a trip (based on my one visit, anyway).

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Agree with everything you say about the great music. Howver, I did also find that it was quite loud - or am I just getting old?

I'm not a regular at Rugby but I think that Marc and Rachel do teach there every week.

I heard there were plans recently to bring in a different, newly qualified teacher but the regulars put up a petition to Ceroc Central to keep Marc!

Thread Information