Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Simon Borland's Party at the Hippodrome, 20/10/06

Re: Simon Borland's Party at the Hippodrome, 20/10/06

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post

There were apparently 300 at the party who had never done jive before.

I danced with quite a few people that had not done any form of MJ, one was from Birmingham and new very close freinds of mine, (small world)

I also chatted to several people that hadn't done any MJ and didn't feel confident enough to have a go, but were going to start with lessons

If I had have been told before hand that it was a promotional night it would have made no difference at all, I think most of knew there would be some kind of anouncment, I carn see what the problem is.

And I was not asked for my e-mail address

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    If I had have been told before hand that it was a promotional night it would have made no difference at all, I think most of knew there would be some kind of anouncment, I carn see what the problem is.
    Many people have done their best to explain what the "problem" - tiny as it is - was ... I don't think it could be explained any clearer!

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    Many people have done their best to explain what the "problem" - tiny as it is - was ... I don't think it could be explained any clearer!
    Yes, I know they have, but all this 'SHOCK HORROR' 'I FEEL SO USED' comments that have been made, just seems to me to be a reason for a whinge, am I supposed to believe that the people who have made those comments are so nieve(spell check can't find this word) to think that there wouldn't be some kind of announcement, i don't think so!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, I know they have, but all this 'SHOCK HORROR' 'I FEEL SO USED' comments that have been made, just seems to me to be a reason for a whinge, am I supposed to believe that the people who have made those comments are so nieve(spell check can't find this word) to think that there wouldn't be some kind of announcement, i don't think so!
    Well, people tend to believe what they're told. Yes, you could call it gullibility, or naivete, if you want, but that's the way a lot of people are. By the way, I'm a 6'2" slim 25-year-old, with lots of flowing hair, bulging muscles and washboard abs, in case anyone wants to know.

Anyway, when I heard about it, I thought "Hmmm, that's weird", but then I thought maybe 250 was some number of cosmic significance for Ozzies

Actually, that's a lie - I just thought "that's a bit weird" but then didn't think much of it after that.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

You're quite right, nobody died.

(Naive by the way, I think, or naïve if one wants to show off.)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Actually, that's a lie - I just thought "that's a bit weird" but then didn't think much of it after that.

mmmm didn't think much after that Naivete then

Thanks for the spelling, spell check had no chance with my version

and your description of you, is exacterly the way I would have discribed you

As you can see I haven't quite got the knack of the technology - my apologies to you - my post is in bold

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    If you are wearing shop bought clothes, eating supermarket bought food, or living anywhere in the west you are almost certainly supporting countless companies and individuals with despicable behaviour.

Amir, I am delighted that you acknowledge that the behaviour of Simon is up there with Indian sweat shops and unethical business practices. We all make choices in this life about whether we care about integrity and ethics; you have made your position very clear. Personally, I enjoy my dancing and Ceroc London allows me to do that. I am a loyal Ceroc customer, but I too believe that competition is a good thing - this doesn't make me unloyal. However what I despise in all walks of life are manipulative people and organisations - I was one of the many fools that bought my old mate Simon a 'Anniversary' card believing that was what the night was about.

It seems to me that whilst Ceroc London are the only organisation making any real attempt to attract new people into the world of Modern Jive in London - they should be thanked and celebrated - something I know rarely happens on this Forum.

I invite all London MJ organisers to come onto this thread and tell us all what marketing strategies they have or indeed how much money they have spent on marketing and promotion.

Choosing when you are going to announce your new dance night is not a question of morals. How is anyone worse off because of when they found out about jivenation?

Amir, you really don't get it. I see little point in replying to this paragraph as clearly integrity and honesty aren't things that you expect from your friends or indeed the people you deal with.

Simon was one of the people doing the hard work for Ceroc.

Yes and I suspect he was paid for it. Your point is......

There were apparently 300 at the party who had never done jive before.

Amir, in the class beginners were asked to put their hands up - I counted about 10!
    Neither Simon nor anyone else will be able to run a successful night without lots of their own hard work. If you can fill the Hippodrome on a Monday night then you've busted your ozzie arse.
    Amir, clearly there was a lot of hard work in attracting 500 people on Friday; hatching a cunning plan from behind a keyboard is tiring.

Scott
    (Popping out to get myself a free trade Latte)
    Last edited by scotttwin; 24th-October-2006 at 02:18 PM. Reason: dont understand the technology

Quote Originally Posted by scotttwin View Post
    Amir, you really don't get it. I see little point in replying to this paragraph as clearly integrity and honesty aren't things that you expect from your friends or indeed the people you deal with.
    Pal, you obviously haven't dealt with Amir. I have. I've found him ALWAYS to be most respectful and a role model for those of us in MJ. Many others will tell you the same. By all means have a go at SB based on the facts of last Friday but I would suggest you apologise for you ill-informed comment re Amir immedeatly.

As you can see I haven't quite got the knack of the technology - my apologies to you - my post is in bold

Amir, clearly there was a lot of hard work in attracting 500 people on Friday; hatching a cunning plan from behind a keyboard is tiring.

Scott
    (Popping out to get myself a free trade Latte)
    What - the fact that you mind where your coffee comes from makes you able to preach morals to others? Yeah, right. And the fact that you have to tell us ... It must be lonely on your righteous pedestal, looking down on us mere mortals, who from time to time, are apt to make mistakes.

Blog Entries

Right, seeing as no-one else's going to pop their heads over the parapet, I guess I'll have to give a review of the First Night At The Hippodrome (last night).

Cunningly disguising myself as Simon Borland's waistcoat, I managed to infiltrate my way inside to see what the fuss was all about.

First, the good news:
    • The floor's much better now, none of the stickiness from Friday
    • The music's also been sorted, much less thump-thumpy.
    • The atmosphere was excellent - there's a lot to be said for a nightclub, after all
    • The freestyle goes on for three hours

Bad points:
    • No advanced class - just standard 1 beginner and 1 intermediate class
    • £10 is a bit steep if you also factor in (say) £5 for travelcard transport.
    • Low numbers at the moment - so difficult to avoid certain people

From my waistcoat-eye view, I couldn't tell you what the routine was, but I assume some footwork was involved.

I also spotted some forum presence with XXXXXX and XXX_XX_XXXXXX there.

All in all, if you're in the area, I think it's worth checking out.

Right, seeing as no-one else's going to pop their heads over the parapet, I guess I'll have to give a review of the First Night At The Hippodrome (last night).

Cunningly disguising myself as Simon Borland's waistcoat, I managed to infiltrate my way inside to see what the fuss was all about.
    Many thanks for the objective review. So it sounds like SB is making it happen. Would be interested to know as to how he's differentiating it from a standard Ceroc(tm) night. The 3 hrs of freestyle might really help (but £10 ?? ).

From my waistcoat-eye view, I couldn't tell you what the routine was, but I assume some footwork was involved....
    All in all, if you're in the area, I think it's worth checking out.
    You sly dog. Waistcoat level is about .... well, boob height, right? No wonder you had a good night ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    You sly dog. Waistcoat level is about .... well, boob height, right? No wonder you had a good night ...
    Hey, I know Simon's put on weight, but man-boobs? Not doing much for me..

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    What - the fact that you mind where your coffee comes from makes you able to preach morals to others? Yeah, right. And the fact that you have to tell us ... It must be lonely on your righteous pedestal, looking down on us mere mortals, who from time to time, are apt to make mistakes.
    Nobody is preaching to anybody, I am merely giving my opinion and commenting on others - I thought that was the point of a Forum. Please let me know if I have misunderstood this.

I'm sorry if you think I am preaching, I just feel very strongly about this, as indeed so do many others.

Gus - I apologise for nothing, your sycophant post is probably what I would expect from a non-Ceroc teacher.

I also think that Amir can probably speak for himself.

Scott

Nobody is preaching to anybody, I am merely giving my opinion and commenting on others - I thought that was the point of a Forum. Please let me know if I have misunderstood this.
    Quite. If this is the case, then why did you feel the need to mention what kind of coffee you were going to drink?

I'm sorry if you think I am preaching, I just feel very strongly about this, as indeed so do many others.
    ... who are also capable to expressing their own opinions on the forum.

Gus - I apologise for nothing, your sycophant post is probably what I would expect from a non-Ceroc teacher.
    You do know Gus' teaching history, don't you?

I also think that Amir can probably speak for himself.

Scott
    Ah, you are so right - an erudite, knowledgeable poster if ever there was one.

Ouch! I feel violated, abused ... but not quite sure why. Come on CTAs of the world, anyone want to help out as clearly non-CTA teachers have nothing to contribute .

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Pal, you obviously haven't dealt with Amir. I have. I've found him ALWAYS to be most respectful and a role model for those of us in MJ. Many others will tell you the same. By all means have a go at SB based on the facts of last Friday but I would suggest you apologise for you ill-informed comment re Amir immedeatly.
    Well said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Ouch! I feel violated, abused ... but not quite sure why.
    It's not your day is it?

I didnt go but e-mailed simon and he responded and said that he would do it again soon and e-mail me early

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Absolutely no e-mail addresses where asked for nor obtained from any one I know of at the Hippodrome and this is a red herring topic on this thread as far as I'm concerned.

I was never asked for my email address, nor gave it out

Thread Information