Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Borland's Party at the Hippodrome, 20/10/06

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Simon Borland's Party at the Hippodrome, 20/10/06

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    Speaking personally, I think an approach more along the lines of "I'm opening a new class at the Hippodrome ... please come and enjoy a free launch-night party" would have generated more goodwill than all this faux "we only just decided" stuff, which I guess leaves people feeling a little, um, manipulated?
    What, you mean they hadn't only just decided?

What gave it away - the preprinted business cards?

Anyway, would people like to move the discussion here? I think it's an interesting idea, and certainly looks like a potential gap in the marker...

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    It's a new business empire.
    Hey, and my picture is on the website too. (I should add they're not my photos though...)
    Last edited by Lory; 22nd-October-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed link

Blog Entries

Hey, and my picture is on the website too. (I should add they're not my photos though...)
    Hmmm, yes - that is a bit naughty.

Amir and Catriona's Cabaret

I was transfixed.

The stage rose up from the ground above the crowd and made us all pay attention. What a start.

Two bodies moved together as one in a dreamlike sequence of long elegant lines, arms outstretched, legs extended and feet poised.

Silhouettes swept across the stage side by side and intertwined behind the swirling smoke screen, emphasising the exquisite gracefulness of their dance.

They moved delightfully to Nuevo Tango music making their performance more exciting and energetic. The glorious musical interpretation highlighted Cat's volcada with her splendid slow motion forward tilt and leg drop. It was pure magic.

This was a cabaret which I will remember for a long, long, long time.

Amir and Catriona, watching you was an inspiration, I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
    Amir and Catriona's Cabaret

[COLOR="Navy"]I was transfixed.

The stage rose up from the ground above the crowd and made us all pay attention. What a start.

Two bodies moved together as one in a dreamlike sequence of long elegant lines, arms outstretched, legs extended and feet poised.

Silhouettes swept across the stage side by side and intertwined behind the swirling smoke screen, emphasising the exquisite gracefulness of their dance.

I'm just editing photographs of their cabaret - it reminds me all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Hmmm, yes - that is a bit naughty.
    Why is it naughty?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Last edited by Lory : 22nd-October-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed link
    What's wrong with links now? And it was only in my post because I was quoting someone else, before someone jumps to the wrong conclusions.

Blog Entries

Why is it naughty?
    It's naughty if he hasn't asked permission...

What's wrong with links now? And it was only in my post because I was quoting someone else, before someone jumps to the wrong conclusions.[/I]
    Advertising I presume?

Although I confess I too was tempted to post a link, just to get the prestigious "Edited by Lory" mark

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    It's naughty if he hasn't asked permission...
    There's no requirement of the photographer to ask the subject's permission, except if the photograph is used to suggest an endorsement by the subject (and hence allow a possible claim for defamation) - as I understand it. I don't think a picture that simply shows I turned up for free food and a dance indicates I'm endorsing anything!

(Besides which, it would be the most monumental case of the pot calling the kettle black if I were to object, wouldn't you agree?)

Speaking personally, I think an approach more along the lines of "I'm opening a new class at the Hippodrome ... please come and enjoy a free launch-night party" would have generated more goodwill than all this faux "we only just decided" stuff, which I guess leaves people feeling a little, um, manipulated?
    Can't say that I feel manipulated because it turned out what I thought it would. I was reluctant to go since there was just nothing I could find justifying the massive expenses of such a venue for an anniversary party. There had to be a hidden agenda and quite frankly, his Jive Nation had even been mentioned in this thread prior to the night.

Do I blame Simon for it? Not really. I don't approve of his approach but at the end of the day, he forked out for a huge party to advertise his new and upcoming classes, can't have much better advertisement, really.

Even with GBP 10 per class I can't, however, see him get rich anytime soon. This means he really is in for the longer term.

What I noticed most was that he had gained weight big time! I saw him last 5 years ago and he was relatively skinny then.

As for the night itself, I haven't read through all Paul F wrote but I think I am mostly in tune with it. I had a massive 7 or 8 dances all night, which has to be a record but neither did I feel like exposing myself (or my respective lady) to the numerous bumps and step-ons, nor could I find anything in the music that made me want to head for the dance floor. Mind you, I was still suffering from jetlag, which certainly didn't help either. Most fun dance of the night had to be the Salsa to the Samba with LilyB. Sorry for throwing you around so much.

photo's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty and Victor

Witty and Cat
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's wrong with links now?
    I agree, though if anyone wants to check out the web site, it's not difficult to figure out what a UK company called Jive Nation would call its web site, now is it?

Having no idea what the night was like, I'd like to predict that with a little fine-tuning, and fixing of some of the issues raised in this and the other thread, it will do well.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I agree, though if anyone wants to check out the web site, it's not difficult to figure out what a UK company called Jive Nation would call its web site, now is it?
    Oh, you mean www.jivenation.co.uk ?? Let's have a stir.

Oh, you mean www.jivenation.co.uk ?? Let's have a stir.
    I hope his teaching skills are better than his website design. If I was a new punter I don't think I would be attracted. Makes me wonder exactly what his target market is? Oh ... and the video?

Blog Entries

Oh, you mean [XXX] ?? Let's have a stir.
    20 minutes now - I dunno, lazy moderators...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Oh ... and the video?
    Yes, it's very Youtube, isn't it? Errr, maybe it's supposed to be ironic?

I hope his teaching skills are better than his website design. If I was a new punter I don't think I would be attracted. Makes me wonder exactly what his target market is? Oh ... and the video?
    The basic web site design is all-right, I thought. I haven't seen the video, but some of the photos are rather poor.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    The basic web site design is all-right, I thought. I haven't seen the video, but some of the photos are rather poor.
    Urrmm ... black background is soooo 1990s .... the content is lacking from a marketing perpective, there is little to draw you in, no five second 'hit', nothing to draw you in and little to tell you why you should want to visit the site again. (Can't you tell which sad bunny has been having to deal with web-designers over his new website )

Urrmm ... black background is soooo 1990s .... the content is lacking from a marketing perpective, there is little to draw you in, no five second 'hit', nothing to draw you in and little to tell you why you should want to visit the site again. (Can't you tell which sad bunny has been having to deal with web-designers over his new website )
    He's not looking for people to come back and visit his web site, he's wanting people to visit his club. All the information you need is right there.

My mind still boggles over web sites I've come across for dance events and even hotels that don't tell you the most basic information – like where the place is!

Sure he could do more, but I'm not sure his target market (if he actually has one in mind) will be finding out about this club via his web site – word of mouth is much more likely.

I enjoy reading the forum, but rarely post as I am usually too busy with work to follow a thread for very long. However, I feel compelled to contribute to this thread having gone to Simon's supposed (non-commercial) party.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't like being taken for a fool. The night was all about collecting dancers email addresses and launching a new business venture. I think this is despicable behaviour and whether I enjoyed the night or not, which I have to say I didn't, I would never support anything this individual does again.

I am very surprised by some of the posts who seem to regard these tactics as socially or commercially acceptable. Perhaps it's a reflection of society that nobody really seems to care anymore about morals, honesty and decency. I would urge some of you to get a backbone and treat Simon with the contempt he deserves.

I for one do not wish Simon well in his new future, to me there seems to be very little to be proud off. Isn’t Simon just trying to cream off all the hard work that Ceroc London has done over the years. I would respect Simon if he were trying to establish his own market, but when he has targeted existing dancers and teaches intermediate and advanced classes it’s clear what market he is going for. I for one receive the emails from Ceroc London asking for people to help with their busking, I can rarely help, but the list of busks is extensive – I wonder how many busks Simon has done, or indeed how many he will be doing to grow the market.

I spoke with someone who was helping out on the night and they mentioned to me how embarrassed and angry they were having been asked to help only to find out half way through the night they were part of some form of “conspiracy”. Simon might have 700 friends, but does he have any he hasn’t used yet?

This new night will fail, and Simon trying to impose the ‘Australian model’ on London will also fail. In 3 months time Simon will be operating from a smaller hall having dropped the Australian model of unnecessary fixed footwork – would anyone like to place a bet?

Scott

Thread Information