Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Simon Borland's Party at the Hippodrome, 20/10/06

Re: Simon Borland's Party at the Hippodrome, 20/10/06

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    OK, continuing the series of "fly on the waistcoat" reviews, here's what happened last night:

Numbers improving again - I noticed the beginner's revision class taught by a certain Forumite, but I'm far too discreet to name names.

Reasonably even numbers - men over last week, a couple of women over this week.

Apparently the routine is lifted from a choreographed routine to be taught for a team cabaret at the Hippodrome Christmas party. Blimey, if it's anything like "Ecuador"...

3 hours freestyle, and two huge film screens showing Take the Lead - fantastic

Err... that's it.

Ok, either you are the invisible man or you have a spy in the ranks

The only reason I turned up last night was to dance with you

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Ok, either you are the invisible man or you have a spy in the ranks

The only reason I turned up last night was to dance with you
    I was there, I was on the top button. And believe me, it wasn't a fun place to be

Blog Entries

This will be my last review, as I've run out of buttons to hide behind...

The numbers were up again from last week, so it's been a steady progression.
    Fairly standard beginners' class, intermediate class had lots of pretzel-y moves with hands and spins and things...

One other good thing is that the teachers are putting in some good style and safety tips, which is a welcome change. Possibly that's the Aussie influence at work, or possibly a reflection of the relatively small class sizes.

The teachers work the floor very hard to dance with beginners and newbies. And not only did we have - again - the Mystery Celeb, but yet another visiting teacher came along and helped out.

Slight problems with the floor being uneven, plus a bit of broken glass, but generally a good night out.

Just been looking at the "Whos going where 15 Dec etc" thread and noticed that Jive Nation has a Christmas party.

So hows it doing these days? Have the numbers increased further? If so, does anyone know how many are attending?

Just wondered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Just been looking at the "Whos going where 15 Dec etc" thread and noticed that Jive Nation has a Christmas party.

So hows it doing these days? Have the numbers increased further? If so, does anyone know how many are attending?
    Last I heard, it was increasing steadily - I'd imagine they've got around 60-70 per night at the moment.

Of course, I'm sure it's still losing money - it took Ashtons over a year to stop losing money as i recall - but increased numbers are always good.

Last I heard, it was increasing steadily - I'd imagine they've got around 60-70 per night at the moment.

Of course, I'm sure it's still losing money - it took Ashtons over a year to stop losing money as i recall - but increased numbers are always good.

Thanks for the info DJ.

Im glad to hear it. Im guessing some of the issues have been addressed which is good. Either that or Simon has managed to capture some very hardened dancers. Either way Im glad its surviving.
    I didnt think it would !

Numbers are a tad lower than that. Classes are good, from what I have seen. Moves taught have a very down-under feel but they are making a good effort.

If you are planning on heading to the party on the 15th, please make sure you confirm your attendance today or tomorrow (I think) because they have to have sort of a guest list due to liquor license regulations or so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

Thanks for the info DJ.

Im glad to hear it. Im guessing some of the issues have been addressed which is good. Either that or Simon has managed to capture some very hardened dancers. Either way Im glad its surviving.
    I didnt think it would !
    I believe that some quite prominent names have been regulars, but I'll spare their blushes

Despite what some people think, I've never been there, so this'd be a first for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    If you are planning on heading to the party on the 15th, please make sure you confirm your attendance today or tomorrow (I think) because they have to have sort of a guest list due to liquor license regulations or so.
    I wasn't sure if you were posting that for me or not so thought I would reply.

Thanks for the info but its not really my kind of scene.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Numbers are a tad lower than that. Classes are good, from what I have seen. Moves taught have a very down-under feel but they are making a good effort.
    I popped in yesterday. Sadly, numbers are still low - but it was good to see that the average age is also lower than many classes these days. The majority of the punters seemed to be late 20s, and antipodean. I don't know whether it was an off night, but they seemed to have a fair bit of trouble with the logistics - the classes started late, the mikes weren't working right.... The beginners class had tricky Pretzel & Yoyo variations (which caught out a few newbies), and the Intermediate/Advanced had multiple spins which I liked . I wasn't so taken with the music - it wasn't that I didn't like the tunes, but more how they were put together. And I forgot how fast Obsession by Shakira really is. One thing stood out, though - and that was how friendly & welcoming the crew were.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The beginners class had tricky Pretzel & Yoyo variations (which caught out a few newbies)...
    I think it was Seamus Waldron who taught the beginners class, and yes, I did find the beginners moves overly challenging (this was my 5th or 6th modern jive class). He wasn't on top form though, as he freely admitted, so it might have been easier without all the false starts, miscounts and confusion of left and right

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I popped in yesterday. Sadly, numbers are still low - but it was good to see that the average age is also lower than many classes these days. The majority of the punters seemed to be late 20s, and antipodean. I don't know whether it was an off night, but they seemed to have a fair bit of trouble with the logistics - the classes started late, the mikes weren't working right.... The beginners class had tricky Pretzel & Yoyo variations (which caught out a few newbies), and the Intermediate/Advanced had multiple spins which I liked . I wasn't so taken with the music - it wasn't that I didn't like the tunes, but more how they were put together. And I forgot how fast Obsession by Shakira really is. One thing stood out, though - and that was how friendly & welcoming the crew were.
    That was definitely and off night for everyone involved. Seamus wasn't supposed to be teaching, but the teachers had gotten held up with traffic problems on the M25 and were late because of that. Things were a tad hectic for a while there....

Those were the lowest numbers I've seen last Monday. If it turns into a pattern then I'd be a little worried, but on a regular pre-Christmas night you could safely double that number.

Thread Information