Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dance or ski?

Re: Dance or ski?

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Does organising 200 people and three nights of dancing really cost 200 x £200?
    Exactly my thought...

I've looked at the ski and dance holidays, but am definitely put off by the prices! I think I'd much rather keep the two separate, and just go on a skiing holiday, and get my dance fix when I get home. And I'm not really that fussed about going out sking in huge groups (actually, the thought quite puts me off!). I prefer going with a couple of good friends....

Went on a skiing holiday to Jackson Hole (USA) a few years ago (about 4 years ago, I think), and the whole holiday (2 weeks) icluding flights and hotel cost about £700 (plus spending money, of course!). It kinda makes a one week skiing trip to Europe for £600 seem a tad over priced. Also went on a skiing holiday for 1 week to Chamonix with a group of about 20 people a couple of years ago, and flights, hotel and car hire came in at about £300... And yes, I know, there was no dancing in the evening (well, no organised dancing, anyway! We danced!). But I don't think a few nights of dancing is worth the £200-300 difference!

Then again, I've never been on a ski and dance holiday, so I might be wrong...

BTW - anyone interested in buying a pair of Telemark skis (old) and boots (brand spanking new)??

I have just booked a ski and dance holiday for the third year running with Peter Kershaw's outfit

Like most people, my main reason for going is Skiing, but as a singleton, it is really nice to go on holiday with some like minded companions, who in the evening like a “bit of a bop”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Sending the husband skiing with the kids this year, i'm staying home to dance.
    Cruella, how many brownie points did you get to earn that one... lucky mare. a whole week without the kids

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Ballroom queen View Post
    I went of many of these and I totally disagree re pricing, remeber to compare like with like. Yeah you can do lots of stuff in this world for cheap - but why? You get what you pay for (oh how I loved that Vintage port on my last holiday - 10 euros v 1.5 for the standard stuff (not a ski holiday)

Could you really have re-created a dance and ski holiday with 200 (not 10-15) of your mates for much less in a top class resort????
    Well, I've just looked at the Ski & Rock Holiday, it works out to £110 more per person than the holiday I'm organising this year, OK, so the one I'm doing is only for 16 people, but it is to a ski in / ski out fully catered 4 star chalet in Alpe d'Huez, so actually slightly higher quality than the dance and ski hotel. OK, so there aren't any organised evening dances, but even so, that's another 200*£100 = £20,000 to put on a couple of nights dancing in the hotel bar (so, not even venue costs to worry about there).

OK, so organising a holiday for 200 people is different to organising one for 16 people, you're right. First of all, the cost per head in a large hotel is generally slightly cheaper than it is for a catered chalet, then of course there is the huge discount you must receive per head from a large hotel for booking the whole hotel. So cost per head must be reduced by possibly £100 on accomodation alone. Then, of course, there would be the huge discount you could receive on such a large group booking on travel costs, so, shall we say, another £50 per head? So, that's possibly another £30,000 towards the cost of putting on the evening dances. £50,000 for putting on a couple of evening dances for 200 people? I don't know about you, but I'd at least be expecting a free bar!

Still don't think its overpriced?

Give me £50,000, I'll get another 190 people to come, and put on a fantastic nights dancing, every night!
    Last edited by TiggsTours; 31st-October-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Does organising 200 people and three nights of dancing really cost 200 x £200?
    No ... but its a business ... and the guy makes a living by putting these events on. Note, I'm not interested in going on these events I'm just trying to be fair. At least he's providing a service that wouldn't otherwise exist and as philsmove said, its really good for single dancers.

If you think its too much, then you don't go, but from what I've been told Pete does a good job of taking care of the punters. Whether the teachers/music/accomodation are up to standard, well thats a personal call (though I do believe that VIKTOR is the teacher for one of them )

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    No ... but its a business ... and the guy makes a living by putting these events on. Note, I'm not interested in going on these events I'm just trying to be fair. At least he's providing a service that wouldn't otherwise exist and as philsmove said, its really good for single dancers.

If you think its too much, then you don't go, but from what I've been told Pete does a good job of taking care of the punters. Whether the teachers/music/accomodation are up to standard, well thats a personal call (though I do believe that VIKTOR is the teacher for one of them )
    I don't think anyone's arguing that, the guy is perfectly entitled to make as much money out of organising the event as he likes, if people are willing to pay the price, good luck to him! I don't think anyone would knock that!

All we're saying is that, we do think its overpriced, I don't think there is any doubt that he's making huge profits from it, I'm not saying that's wrong, just that I personally don't think the holiday is worth the price, which is why I'm not going on it.

I'm sure Viktor will be great, I'm also sure he won't be charging anywhere close to the £50,000 profit that I estimated in my calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    Well, I've just looked at the Ski & Rock Holiday, it works out to £110 more per person than the holiday I'm organising this year, ..........

Still don't think its overpriced?

Give me £50,000, I'll get another 190 people to come, and put on a fantastic nights dancing, every night!

I am booked on a Ski & Rock Holiday and out of interest I worked our how much it would cost me, if I went on exactly the same holiday, staying at the same hotel, only one week earlier, but went on my own

It would cost me £278 more

................, then of course there is the huge discount you must receive per head from a large hotel for booking the whole hotel. So cost per head must be reduced by possibly £100 on accomodation alone. Then, of course, there would be the huge discount you could receive on such a large group booking on travel costs, .................
    i agree with Gus, its a business etc etc.

But where does everyone get the idea that there are "huge discounts" by being in a huge group? If you look at the ski brouchures the discounts stop after a group size of about 36, big groups are in fact more work - and the ones I have been on have provided a number of extra reps - they take the extra "free" places, ie there is no "discount".

The main reason Mike and Linda stopped doing these trips is because they were loosing money

hey ho, personally I'm happy to pay a bit more to get a bit more - but everyones different

The main reason Mike and Linda stopped doing these trips is because they were loosing money
    I wondered why they stopped. Thats a real shame as they were pretty good fun.

TiggsTours

hey ho, personally I'm happy to pay a bit more to get a bit more - but everyones different
    Apart from the dancing, what more do you get?

The Forum Legend

Apart from the dancing, what more do you get?
    Hasn't this already been answered by BQ?

From memory, companionship, people to ski with, and the fact that someone else does all the hard work in organising it, so that you don't have to.

Pay attention now....

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Hasn't this already been answered by BQ?

From memory, companionship, people to ski with, and the fact that someone else does all the hard work in organising it, so that you don't have to.

Pay attention now....
    Yes, but my question is what more do you get? The one I organise (which I think is what BQ was comparing to), you get all that.

The Forum Legend

Yes, but my question is what more do you get? The one I organise (which I think is what BQ was comparing to), you get all that.
    Ah. But YOU don't get someone else to organise it for you!

All the other people might. And you might not be charging them for that. How nice you are really

Thread Information