PDA

View Full Version : HELP - New to Ipod - Doesn't Bl**dy Work

Chicklet
14th-October-2006, 09:11 PM
I have just stopped procrastinating and bought an ipod.
I have music on laptop that I can see and play with in Windows Media Player.
I am *sure* I have managed to "sync" them onto the Ipod cos it was er, "whirring" a little and when I look at the e-drive in my computer when it's plugged into the laptop I can see the files on it as .wma files - but when I try and look on the thingy itself there's nothing there - what on earth 'ave I done wrong???

(please don't say download itunes and do it again, not an option)
thank you!!
C:flower:

ducasi
15th-October-2006, 01:02 AM
An iPod will only play music placed on it in the right format by iTunes.

Chicklet
15th-October-2006, 03:25 AM
An iPod will only play music placed on it in the right format by iTunes.

:eek: sigh, ta. shame no-one has thought to tell the staff at Curry's that eh?:mad: :mad: I deliberately and clearly told them I didn't have and couldn't use i Tunes - and was told it doesn't matter, if I have XP I will have suitable software....back to the shop with the black elephant then....

straycat
15th-October-2006, 08:58 AM
You can use an iPod just fine without iTunes - here's one way (http://www.mlipod.com/) - and I'm pretty sure that the way you've been doing it will work fine.

The problem is simply that an iPod won't play .wma files (which is an MS-proprietary format) - you'll need to convert 'em to mp3.

ducasi
15th-October-2006, 12:36 PM
You can use an iPod just fine without iTunes - here's one way (http://www.mlipod.com/) - and I'm pretty sure that the way you've been doing it will work fine.

The problem is simply that an iPod won't play .wma files (which is an MS-proprietary format) - you'll need to convert 'em to mp3.
I wonder why Chicklet can't use iTunes, and whether that means she will not be able to use WinAmp and the software you point to, or any other similar software.

Either way, you do need some sort of software to manage the task for you. Just copying your music files onto an iPod will not work – they need to be in a hidden directory structure with the right names, and there needs to be a whole bunch of other control files along with them.

(Oh, and one thing that iTunes does do is convert (non-protected) wma files into mp3 files to make then playable on an iPod.)

Lynn
15th-October-2006, 05:08 PM
I was thinking of getting an Ipod - this is putting me off though. Its clearly not straightforward for me to put existing music that I already have onto one.

David Bailey
15th-October-2006, 05:16 PM
I was thinking of getting an Ipod - this is putting me off though. Its clearly not straightforward for me to put existing music that I already have onto one.
It's not that difficult - as long as you just remember that you (pretty much) need iTunes installed on your PC - it does the converting stuff for you, which is handy.

Lynn
15th-October-2006, 05:26 PM
It's not that difficult - I'm blonde remember? And a girlie. :rolleyes: And I'm the 'work it out rather than read the manual' type. Lost cause really.
as long as you just remember that you (pretty much) need iTunes installed on your PC - it does the converting stuff for you, which is handy.OK. Got that (I think). How do I get iTunes? It would make sense for it to come on a free disc when you buy an Ipod I suppose.

WittyBird
15th-October-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm blonde remember? And a girlie. :rolleyes: And I'm the 'work it out rather than read the manual' type. Lost cause really..

*** Lynn get a grip. I'm a girlie and can manage it. It aint fecking rocket science.

How do I get iTunes? It would make sense for it to come on a free disc when you buy an Ipod I suppose.

It does come with an installation disk :rolleyes:

*If DavidJames can do it, pretty much anyone can.

*Disclaimer - Unless your really stupid.

ducasi
15th-October-2006, 05:29 PM
iTunes makes it easy, just so long as you are able to install it. You could try installing it now and getting familiar with it. It makes a pretty good music player in itself. :)

http://www.itunes.com/

ducasi
15th-October-2006, 05:30 PM
It does come with an installation disk :rolleyes:
The iPod nano doesn't come with a CD any more – but it's easy to download... :)

WittyBird
15th-October-2006, 05:31 PM
The iPod nano doesn't come with a CD any more – but it's easy to download... :)

Well it did when I bought mine a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Lynn
15th-October-2006, 05:38 PM
*** Lynn get a grip. I'm a girlie and can manage it. It aint fecking rocket science.I was being slightly sarky...

iTunes makes it easy, just so long as you are able to install it. You could try installing it now and getting familiar with it. It makes a pretty good music player in itself. :)

http://www.itunes.com/ Good idea. You can also buy music that way as well can't you - would be good to download tracks that I want.

As soon as I get broadband of course!

WittyBird
15th-October-2006, 05:39 PM
I was being slightly sarky...

No, Really?

Lynn
15th-October-2006, 05:41 PM
No, Really? :rofl:

*Goes off to shed to build another rocket*

ducasi
15th-October-2006, 05:42 PM
That before or after the recent revamp of the nano line? Perhaps it depends where you buy it, but one of the "features" of the revised model was smaller packaging that didn't have a CD.

Not that it matters greatly... :flower:

David Bailey
15th-October-2006, 06:23 PM
Mine hasn't - just a little CD-less box.

But iTunes is downloadable free (see http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/), in fact I'd done that previously anyway to manage the music on my PC.

Whitebeard
15th-October-2006, 06:49 PM
But iTunes is downloadable free (see http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/), in fact I'd done that previously anyway to manage the music on my PC.

But that's going to take just a wee while on Lynn's dial-up line.

Soon forget don't we ?

ducasi
15th-October-2006, 06:53 PM

Soon forget don't we ?
I'm sure someone local to her could download it and burn a CD for her. :)

David Bailey
15th-October-2006, 08:09 PM
Not impossible - I downloaded it on my slow-as-hell ISDN line.

Just leave it going overnight :)

Lynn
15th-October-2006, 10:21 PM
Not impossible - I downloaded it on my slow-as-hell ISDN line.

Just leave it going overnight :)I get so frustrated when I try to download anything - it takes ages then the flippin thing hangs up about 5 mins before its completed.:mad:

I'll wait till I get my broadband sorted.

Whitebeard
15th-October-2006, 11:04 PM
I get so frustrated when I try to download anything - it takes ages then the flippin thing hangs up about 5 mins before its completed.:mad:

I'll wait till I get my broadband sorted.

Never mind, Windows Media Player should answer your playback needs. It does for me.

Lou
16th-October-2006, 07:59 AM
Mine hasn't - just a little CD-less box.
:yeah: Me too. Maybe WittyBird's special? :flower:

:na: ;) :whistle:

tattie
16th-October-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm not going to play the blonde card or the girl card - I just quite blatently don't know what i'm doing...

Just bought a bog standard basic MP3 player and I can't seem to transfer any music on to it. The instructions say just drag files and put them in the relevant folder but it doesn't seem to want to do it. Any ideas? Does it need to be in a particular format? What is the difference between a wma and mp3 file?

I know I could probably find this out for myself, but i really don't care enough. I just want to be able to make the darn thing work!

Help?!

David Bailey
16th-October-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm not going to play the blonde card or the girl card - I just quite blatently don't know what i'm doing...
Join the club :)

Just bought a bog standard basic MP3 player and I can't seem to transfer any music on to it. The instructions say just drag files and put them in the relevant folder but it doesn't seem to want to do it.
When you plug your MP3 player into the PC, you should see a new folder appear on Windows Explorer (e.g. "F" drive, or whatever) - can you see that?

If so, you can just copy any MP3 files on your PC to that folder and, err, it should work. I think (judging by your description).

What make / model is the MP3 player?

Any ideas? Does it need to be in a particular format? What is the difference between a wma and mp3 file?
I think WMA files are the format you get when your Windows PC reads music from a CD. And I think you'll have to convert them to MP3 files to put them on your MP3 player, yes.

tattie
16th-October-2006, 12:05 PM
When you plug your MP3 player into the PC, you should see a new folder appear on Windows Explorer (e.g. "F" drive, or whatever) - can you see that?

If so, you can just copy any MP3 files on your PC to that folder and, err, it should work. I think (judging by your description).

hmmm - tried that and it didn't seem to like it...

What make / model is the MP3 player?

small and silver :blush:

I think WMA files are the format you get when your Windows PC reads music from a CD. And I think you'll have to convert them to MP3 files to put them on your MP3 player, yes.

I think that might be my problem... I'll give that a try.
Thanks for your help!

David Bailey
16th-October-2006, 12:09 PM
hmmm - tried that and it didn't seem to like it...
Don't confuse me with all this techie talk...

Did the files not copy OK? Or did they copy over but nothing happened when you tried to play them? if the latter, I think it's the format, and yes, you need to convert WMA to MP3.

tattie
16th-October-2006, 12:17 PM
Did the files not copy OK? Or did they copy over but nothing happened when you tried to play them? if the latter, I think it's the format, and yes, you need to convert WMA to MP3.

the files didn't appear in the folder - just kind of disappeared from under my mouse when I let go... I'll try changing the format tonight and see what happens. Otherwise I might have to resort to borrowing a boy :rolleyes:

ducasi
16th-October-2006, 12:22 PM
Some "MP3" players can also play "WMA" files. "WMA" is a Microsoft-owned format that the Windows Media Player uses by default. :(

Even if you don't have an iPod, I believe iTunes can manage other MP3 players and translate WMA files into MP3 files for you. :)

tattie
16th-October-2006, 12:30 PM
Some "MP3" players can also play "WMA" files. "WMA" is a Microsoft-owned format that the Windows Media Player uses by default. :(

Even if you don't have an iPod, I believe iTunes can manage other MP3 players and translate WMA files into MP3 files for you. :)

Why can't everyone just use the same files and formats and get on with each other? Do they really think we have the time or inclination to spend our whole lives figuring out what needs to speak to who or what and who is uncompatible and won't talk to anyone who isn't on their wavelength...

It's like running a dating agency for teenagers with behavioural issues :angry:

ducasi
16th-October-2006, 12:42 PM
Why can't everyone just use the same files and formats and get on with each other? Do they really think we have the time or inclination to spend our whole lives figuring out what needs to speak to who or what and who is uncompatible and won't talk to anyone who isn't on their wavelength...

It's like running a dating agency for teenagers with behavioural issues :angry:
I blame the parents. Or society. Or both. :sad:

Lynn
16th-October-2006, 01:48 PM
Probably a very obvious question but...

If I download iTunes and buy music (the 79p a track option I believe?) can I then make up my own playlists and burn them to a CD? (to listen to in the car mainly).

David Bailey
16th-October-2006, 02:00 PM

If I download iTunes and buy music (the 79p a track option I believe?) can I then make up my own playlists and burn them to a CD? (to listen to in the car mainly).
I think there's a problem with that, isn't there? I'm not sure, but from what I recall, the format (!) doesn't allow you to do whatever you want with the tracks...

clevedonboy
16th-October-2006, 02:09 PM
I think there's a problem with that, isn't there? I'm not sure, but from what I recall, the format (!) doesn't allow you to do whatever you want with the tracks...

There are limitations - read the T&C's for details but one thing you can do is burn the tracks to CD up to 7 times (of course once it's on a cd you can rip it back again so the 7 times limit is a bit moot)

Lynn
16th-October-2006, 03:16 PM
There are limitations - read the T&C's for details but one thing you can do is burn the tracks to CD up to 7 times (of course once it's on a cd you can rip it back again so the 7 times limit is a bit moot)Thanks. I just would want to be able to play on a CD as I have several CD players in house/car and like having music on.

ducasi
16th-October-2006, 03:42 PM

Yep, there's no problems doing that – you can burn the music you've bought onto any number of CDs, though if you make a play list with this protected music, you can only burn this play list a limited number of times. Not a problem for most folks... :)

tattie
16th-October-2006, 06:04 PM
this is starting to bug me quite a lot now...

Right - the instructions in the book are
"open the removeble disk icon... drag and drop WMA, MP3 and other files or folders on to the drive"

I interpret that as click on the song and drag it to the folder and drop it in. Am I being really stupid? I didn't think this would be difficult. And now I'm angry cos I can't use an angry smilie. I hate technology.

The MP3 player is a IITronics IMP 65 if that helps. And I lied before, its black, but the front bit is silver.

Anyone?

DavidY
16th-October-2006, 06:09 PM
this is starting to bug me quite a lot now...

Right - the instructions in the book are
"open the removeble disk icon... drag and drop WMA, MP3 and other files or folders on to the drive"

I interpret that as click on the song and drag it to the folder and drop it in. Am I being really stupid? I didn't think this would be difficult. And now I'm angry cos I can't use an angry smilie. I hate technology.

The MP3 player is a IITronics IMP 65 if that helps. And I lied before, its black, but the front bit is silver.

Anyone?As DJ said I'd expect that if you look in My Computer before and after you plug it in, you would see an extra "Drive" would appear as D:,E:, F: (whichever's the next free letter on your PC).

So when you plug the MP3 player into the computer, what happens exactly? Does it make a noise? Does an extra icon appear at the bottom right hand side of the screen (near to the time)? (I'm assuming you're using Windows - which version if so?)

:hug:

ducasi
16th-October-2006, 06:10 PM
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.

Think you need to "borrow a boy"... (Don't they have all sorts of up-market things in Edinburgh these days?!)

Here's an angry smiley for you... :hug:

Oops, it came out wrong! :blush:

tattie
16th-October-2006, 06:18 PM
Think you need to "borrow a boy"... (Don't they have all sorts of up-market things in Edinburgh these days?!)

I think you have to give them back though...

I give in - it's already taken one trip across the room and landed on a wooden floor, and it was only cheap - don't think it would survive another tantrum!

Thanks for all your help - I'd give you a hug but can't even do that now...

Lynn
16th-October-2006, 10:34 PM
Well, aside from the fact that it was telling me it would take 2 1/2 hours to download iTunes - it also lists Broadband connection as a prerequisite to using it. So I guess its not an option on dial up.:(

Lynn
17th-October-2006, 09:47 PM
iTunes makes it easy, just so long as you are able to install it. You could try installing it now and getting familiar with it. It makes a pretty good music player in itself. :)OK, I'm just starting to use it (I perservered, my phone bill came in and despite being on here loads, I'm still using only about £10 per month on dial up, so will take my time and get broadband when I get time to think about laptop options).

But - I so far can't see any immediate pluses over MediaPlayer. I can't seem to rename tracks (it did convert them all for me, no probs there) or get an easy 'play/pause/forward' tool in the bottom bar - both of which were dead easy in MediaPlayer. (The latter not too big a prob as my keyboard has these keys).

Haven't tried to buy any music yet - might not even be that practical on dialup.

azande
18th-October-2006, 12:05 AM
OK, I'm just starting to use it (I perservered, my phone bill came in and despite being on here loads, I'm still using only about £10 per month on dial up, so will take my time and get broadband when I get time to think about laptop options).

But - I so far can't see any immediate pluses over MediaPlayer. I can't seem to rename tracks (it did convert them all for me, no probs there) or get an easy 'play/pause/forward' tool in the bottom bar - both of which were dead easy in MediaPlayer. (The latter not too big a prob as my keyboard has these keys).

Haven't tried to buy any music yet - might not even be that practical on dialup.
on a mac, if you click once on the name of the track that is highlighted you can rename it, otherwise you could do it from the "get info" screen, useful if you need to change details of more than one track. For the buttons in the toolbar I can't help, sorry.

ducasi
18th-October-2006, 12:29 AM
OK, I'm just starting to use it ... :clap:

But - I so far can't see any immediate pluses over MediaPlayer. I can't seem to rename tracks (it did convert them all for me, no probs there) or get an easy 'play/pause/forward' tool in the bottom bar - both of which were dead easy in MediaPlayer. (The latter not too big a prob as my keyboard has these keys).Azande covered renaming tracks (clicking a second time on the name, or via "Get Info"). For minimised controls, iTunes has a preference setting (Preferences -> Advanced -> General, at the bottom) which will put an iTunes icon in your system tray and allows iTunes to be minimised to there – no idea though if it does exactly what you want though...

Haven't tried to buy any music yet - might not even be that practical on dialup. There's always one free track on the front page of the store – makes it easy to try it...

Lynn
18th-October-2006, 01:03 PM
on a mac, if you click once on the name of the track that is highlighted you can rename it, otherwise you could do it from the "get info" screen, useful if you need to change details of more than one track. Ah, now I see where I'm going wrong. I'm on a PC. :wink:

(I had already tried the first option as that's what I did in MediaPlayer - which I know isn't the best, I found RealPlayer easier on another PC but don't have it on mine.) Will try the 'get info' method. Thanks. :flower:

For minimised controls, iTunes has a preference setting (Preferences -> Advanced -> General, at the bottom) which will put an iTunes icon in your system tray and allows iTunes to be minimised to there – no idea though if it does exactly what you want though...

There's always one free track on the front page of the store – makes it easy to try it...I just want an easy to see minimised 'pause/play/next track/last track/what's playing' - mostly I guess because I got used to having it.

I did download a couple of tracks last night - being on dial up they took about 10 mins each (!) but I wanted to give it a try. :D

Lou
18th-October-2006, 01:11 PM
And I don't mean to worry you unduly, Lynn, but there's a report out today that some new iPods are infected with a virus.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/18/apple_ipod_virus_infection/ :what:

Lynn
18th-October-2006, 01:30 PM
And I don't mean to worry you unduly, Lynn, but there's a report out today that some new iPods are infected with a virus.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/18/apple_ipod_virus_infection/ :what:That's OK - because I don't actually have an Ipod (yet). Not sure which one Chicklet bought.

clevedonboy
18th-October-2006, 02:06 PM
Ah, now I see where I'm going wrong. I'm on a PC. :wink:

On PC right click then select get info & then choose the info tab to edit the displayed text

Emma
19th-October-2006, 10:28 AM
I tried to purchase a track through iTunes Music store last night, but got an 'Upgrade to iTunes7' screen. As all merry hell broke out when I last upgraded iTunes (something to do with my drivers involving much screaming and tearing of hair) I am not anxious to upgrade again (while I still have une PC ancienne) and risk losing my music collection :sick: . Does anyone know a work around?

Alternatively, does anyone know a better place to buy tunes online...? (compatible with iTunes, obv :) )

Dreadful Scathe
19th-October-2006, 10:57 AM

I didnt realise you needed to use itunes to transfer your music to an Ipod, there are plenty of mp3 players where that is not required. You can get an mp3 player for £5.99 now that takes SD cards (£18 for a 1gb one) and itll play both wma and mp3 so there is none of this IPod conversion nonsense, that really should not be needed.

Lynn: Converting to CD is also a lot of hassle - why not just get a £30 fm transmitter and plug your actual mp3 player into it (or usb memory stick)? :)

Dreadful Scathe
19th-October-2006, 11:00 AM
also...:)...i still dont understand why people buy ANY tracks from itunes when they are restricted in where they can play them - www.allofmp3.com for unrestricted tracks at 1\10th of the price.....you know it makes sense.

Emma
19th-October-2006, 11:05 AM
also...:)...i still dont understand why people buy ANY tracks from itunes when they are restricted in where they can play them - www.allofmp3.com for unrestricted tracks at 1\10th of the price.....you know it makes sense.That's why I asked ;)

Lynn
19th-October-2006, 11:05 AM
I didnt realise you needed to use itunes to transfer your music to an Ipod, there are plenty of mp3 players where that is not required. You can get an mp3 player for £5.99 now that takes SD cards (£18 for a 1gb one) and itll play both wma and mp3 so there is none of this IPod conversion nonsense, that really should not be needed.
That's a lot cheaper than an Ipod! :what:

Lynn: Converting to CD is also a lot of hassle - why not just get a £30 fm transmitter and plug your actual mp3 player into it (or usb memory stick)? :)So how do I attach this to my CD players? (House and car).

Will check out that other site. I thought that iTunes was 'the' site for buying music - good to know about other ones. I'm totally new to this 'buying music online' but as I often want specific tracks rather than a whole album, I like it.

Emma
19th-October-2006, 11:08 AM
Of course, the tune I was trying to get last night isn't available on allofmp3....

DavidY
19th-October-2006, 12:39 PM
www.allofmp3.com for unrestricted tracks at 1\10th of the price.....you know it makes sense.But not if you use Visa or Mastercard. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6065492.stm)

Dreadful Scathe
20th-October-2006, 12:10 AM
But not if you use Visa or Mastercard. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6065492.stm)
despite the news article they still seems to accept card payments !

allofmp3.com may not have everything but it appears to have more than most online music services - and at a sound quality picked by YOU :)

for the £5.99 mp3 players heres a choice of 2

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/89015
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/100318

SD cards you can get from ebuyer.co.uk or 7dayshop.co.uk

Dreadful Scathe
20th-October-2006, 12:14 AM
despite the news article they still seems to accept card payments !

allofmp3.com may not have everything but it appears to have more than most online music services - and at a sound quality picked by YOU :)

for the £5.99 mp3 players heres a choice of 2

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/89015
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/100318

SD cards you can get from ebuyer.co.uk or 7dayshop.co.uk
ok tell a lie - neither of those seem to do wma - hmm cant remember where i saw that now...

pmjd
23rd-October-2006, 05:04 PM
A couple of itunes alternatives

There's http://www.emusic.com/

A subscription based service, first 22 free and various amounts of cash to download various amounts of music in mp3 format.

Don't know what the range is like, just lists itself as large collection of independent labels.

There's also http://magnatune.com/

and for more electronic house type stuff there's warp records
http://www.warprecords.com/

Haven't tried any of them but I would avoid allofmp3 and mp3sugar, just on instinct and the seems to good to be true feeling.

Chicklet
6th-November-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the info folks, dug out old laptop from behind the piano and managed to get I-tunes on to it...have no desire to buy any downloads...well not until I get all my own stuff on to it first...up to "C" so a long way to go yet.

Now - more top tips requested
I am uselss at the wiggle pad - what's the trick?
And WHERE oh WHERE is the volume button??????????

ta
C

ducasi
6th-November-2006, 09:46 PM
Wiggle pad?

On the iPod, when it's in normal playing mode, showing the current song playing, "turning" the touch wheel adjusts the volume. Pressing the centre button changes the mode though to also allow you to skip forward and back, and change the rating on the track.

Chicklet
6th-November-2006, 09:57 PM
hoorah - thanks!
got the volume to work, (no idea what a "rating" is??)

my problem with the wiggle pad is right at the start when I'm trying to do a new shuffle - it doesn't go where I want it to go in the menu...I try and "feather" it down and it goes up or goes too far down...is there a trick?
my 'structions just say "control panel" or something equally useless....

Gadget
7th-November-2006, 01:41 PM
just draw little circles round the pad thingie at various speeds and tap the middle when what you want is highlighted.

Alternativly, lock the main bit and use the mini control on the earphone cable.

Chicklet
5th-January-2007, 04:12 PM
Happy New Year to the I-Geeks who are going to help me (and another mystery forumite who didn't know the answer to this advanced question.....

Lap Top is now full of music and can't take any more.
I do not need or want to keep the music on the Lap Top now that it is on the I-Pod,
SOOOO If I delete things from the Lap Top and then "sync" will these things be synced orf the I-Pod???????

Or am I taking the word sync too literally?

Love them geeks:flower:

pmjd
5th-January-2007, 04:21 PM
As long as you uncheck the automatically sync option I think you'll be ok. Or get an external hard drive and keep all the music that's on the laptop there instead.

Chicklet
5th-January-2007, 04:32 PM
As long as you uncheck the automatically sync option I think you'll be ok. .

How does that help?
How does telling it to sync manually rather than automatically change whether or not it will remove things from the I-pod cos they are not on the Lap Top???

many thanks!
C

pmjd
5th-January-2007, 04:38 PM
This article might be more useful then me, it's not too long.

http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/manual_ud_ipod.htm

Basically, as long as you don't sync it, you can manually add and remove songs by dragging and dropping them to from the iPod