PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Seeking

horsey_dude
9th-May-2003, 11:56 AM
How about a dating forum for us sad single people?

e.g. Male dancer seeks woman to "lead" Astray. Will you "follow" me anywhere? Come and check out my "moves".....

I think it could be a winner!

Dreadful Scathe
9th-May-2003, 12:07 PM
"Psychic female dancer looks for gorgeous Male dancer for fun and frollicks. Pity I don't find one."

"Me dancer. Me need woman bad. You reply. Us meet and boogie"

"Your hand too big? your shoulders in-line? Then meet me!!! my peculiar dancing style will soon give you a permanent stoop and my kung-fu like grip will squash your hand down 2 glove sizes"

"Short male dancer looking for tall busty female with preference for blues. I like to get up close and personal. Im partially deaf so it makes no difference if i can hear the music or not."

.....any takers ? :)

horsey_dude
9th-May-2003, 05:12 PM
I think you are on to a winner with that one.... its very subtle when you consider the double meaning of blues...

I havn't voted yet but there are 5 votes on the poll why is no one posting anything to support the opinion they voted on?

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

"Short male dancer looking for tall busty female with preference for blues. I like to get up close and personal. Im partially deaf so it makes no difference if i can hear the music or not."

El Salsero Gringo
20th-March-2005, 04:32 PM
I havn't voted yet but there are 5 votes on the poll why is no one posting anything to support the opinion they voted on?

Speaking for myself, I'm far too embarassed to admit that it had occured to me that there might be a connection between dancing and dating. Besides which, if I did, Andy McGregor might decide that I was putting off beginners and start a forum thread asking if there was a place for long-eared equines in Modern Jive. And then where would you, Zebra-Woman and I be, eh?

(oh, b*gger, that's that one blown.)

cheeks
20th-March-2005, 05:39 PM

I have not voted yet as am unsure whether or not this would be a good idea maybe all us single's are embarassed to take the connection between dancing and dating to another level or maybe would make the dancing scene awkward if any dating was not to work..................okay or maybe I always look at the negatives.....which would explain the single part.

:confused:

Cheeks :flower:

Andy McGregor
20th-March-2005, 07:30 PM
Speaking for myself, I'm far too embarassed to admit that it had occured to me that there might be a connection between dancing and dating. Besides which, if I did, Andy McGregor might decide that I was putting off beginners and start a forum thread asking if there was a place for long-eared equines in Modern Jive. And then where would you, Zebra-Woman and I be, eh?

(oh, b*gger, that's that one blown.)

There's always a place in MJ for ZW.

And, IMHO, MJ is such a fab place to meet a new partner I can't believe anyone would need an on-line alternative - unless there's some reason why you can't get a date when they meet you in person ...

Clive Long
20th-March-2005, 07:41 PM

e.g. Male dancer seeks woman to "lead" Astray. Will you "follow" me anywhere? Come and check out my "moves".....

I believe there is nothing "wrong" with online meeting people - I haven't "indulged" myself (I have used Time Out personal columns) - I can't see any difference meeting people online from going to "All Bar One", an art class, a choir or even Ceroc with the hope that one may find someone faintly attractive and that said other does not find oneself completely repulsive.

The problem with Ceroc, I have found, is that when I have been "on the look out" - rather than just submerging myself in the dance - is the 3-minutes-dance-and-you-are-off-to-another-dance-partner makes it difficult to try out one's latest, cringe-inducing chat-up lines (see may "First Date" thread for my poor efforts in that art form)

However, I feel online dating is well enough catered for on other sites and there's no need to start a forum thread for that. "Looking for dance partner" is fine by me. I emphasise I'm not against any method consenting adults choose to meet - it's just that creating such a forum thread will not add anything that can't be achieved anywhere else.

For the man who can make a woman's nipples become erect when he dances with her (see earlier post by Horsey Dude), my advice is - follow that lead.

Clive

drathzel
20th-March-2005, 07:59 PM
altho i have voted no, however i really am in two minds!

On one hand i feel it may attract more people to ceroc mainly for the dating potential instead of the dancing potential, therefore making me feel that every person that dances with me is doing it for the wrong reasons! Do you then say no to people you dont fancy....would that not seriously cut down on the amount of dances you(i) recieve!

One the other hand would it not put this dating bit into a certain area, keeping it away from the dancing side therefore stopping the above!

I dunno! :confused:

cheeks
20th-March-2005, 08:07 PM
D completely follow you I am sticking to the saying that whats meant for you won't go past you and whether I I meet a partner through, dancing, online or wherever else that may be and will only add to the enjoyment I already recieve from dancing, chatting on forum and everything else :hug: ..still not sure about a dating forum :confused:

:hug:

Andreas
20th-March-2005, 08:09 PM
I was always determined to keep dancing and relationships apart. Trouble is if it does not work out it may poison the atmosphere and split a dance studio. Eventually my girlfriend convinced me otherwise :whistle:

That probably has cost me a couple of brownie points but I am happy as it is because it is great to be able to dance with somebody and not have any restraints :drool: :whistle: :innocent:

Although we absolutely love to dance with each other, neither of us is actually dancing to our respective full potential when we do so. So there are pros and cons to it :wink:

drathzel
20th-March-2005, 08:26 PM
I was always determined to keep dancing and relationships apart. Trouble is if it does not work out it may poison the atmosphere and split a dance studio. Eventually my girlfriend convinced me otherwise :whistle:

I have heard this but to be honest why does this have to be. I lived with my partner for more than a year we dated for about 3 months more than that, we broke up a year ago and when i started dancing at the end of August i brought him along, he met his girlfriend. Now you know something, with what you have said above A) i shouldn't have brought him and B) i should not get along with her. However (now that i lead), i get both up to dance. I dont see why the end of a relationship should signal the end of a friendship and why it should cause any problems at a dance venue! :hug: :flower:

cheeks
20th-March-2005, 08:39 PM
I dont see why the end of a relationship should signal the end of a friendship and why it should cause any problems at a dance venue! :hug: :flower:

Completely agree but unfortunately not everyone thinks the same babe. :hug:

drathzel
20th-March-2005, 08:42 PM
Completely agree but unfortunately not everyone thinks the same babe. :hug:

i know and there are many reasons it could be hard but why do we have to put our feelings aside just cuz of a shared interest! :flower:

Tiggerbabe
20th-March-2005, 08:45 PM
I dont see why the end of a relationship should signal the end of a friendship and why it should cause any problems at a dance venue! :hug: :flower:
It shouldn't, but it can :sad:

The original (tongue ever-so-slightly in cheek) question was asked back in 2003 and we've managed without a "dating" section so far :whistle: :whistle:

cheeks
20th-March-2005, 08:54 PM
i know and there are many reasons it could be hard but why do we have to put our feelings aside just cuz of a shared interest! :flower:

I guess a lot of this would have to do with the reasons for break up or the dating not working maybe some people begin to date and realise that they having feelings for one another but varying circumstances keep them from wanting to take this into a relationship, also I have witnessed some people being very jealous of a partner or ex partner enjoying a dance with another and this then causes difficulties due to possibly insecurities, lack of trust or their perception of the concept of dance.

I think that if one manages to continue a friendship from a dating experience or a previous relationship it has been a positive experience that involved 2 adults who for what ever reason went their seperate ways.

In the case where dating or relationship has been a very negative experience continuing dancing either in the same venue or frequently meeting may add to/ or prevent individual from meeting a new partner or continuing to enjoy their dancing experiences

:hug: :flower:

Andreas
20th-March-2005, 10:08 PM

It does not have to happen, but it does happen. It may well be different here in the UK than in NZ, I would not know as I am not too settled in the scene over here. In NZ, however, it in some cases appeared to be quite destructive. :sick: :sad:

Andreas
20th-March-2005, 10:13 PM
... also I have witnessed some people being very jealous of a partner or ex partner enjoying a dance with another and this then causes difficulties due to possibly insecurities, lack of trust or their perception of the concept of dance.

I had had it even worse. At some point I almost quit dancing because the franchise I danced in (Hamilton), or more precisely the franchise holder, made it her job of stirring up my dance partners husband in order to break our dance partnership. Quite sad, really. Luckily I decided not to be fased as I would have missed it too much. But it sticks.

cheeks
20th-March-2005, 10:51 PM
I had had it even worse. At some point I almost quit dancing because the franchise I danced in (Hamilton), or more precisely the franchise holder, made it her job of stirring up my dance partners husband in order to break our dance partnership. Quite sad, really. Luckily I decided not to be fased as I would have missed it too much. But it sticks.

I haven't experienced this personally myself so can only empathise but some people do decide to take matters into their own hands and can be cruel without thinking of the repecutions(excuse spelling) from what they say or they way in which they behave. I just hope others who are ever put in this prediciment rise above this and don't allow it to prevent them from continuing to enjoy dance to it's fullest. I also hope that any people who feel it is there job to carry out such a horrible task find a new hobby. :hug:

Cheeks :flower:

David Bailey
20th-March-2005, 10:57 PM
OK then. It's a silly idea. :grin:

MJ = dancing, dating = not dancing. Heavens, people who date might not even dance anymore, they might, I dunno, go out and do other things... :eek:

MartinHarper
21st-March-2005, 01:17 AM
A forum thread asking if there was a place for long-eared equines in Modern Jive.

Only dead ones, for flogging.

Swinging bee
21st-March-2005, 01:34 PM

Not so sure on this.....know quite a few people who met on the dance floor tho....are are currently coupling!.....the mind boggles as to the content of the ads...would they be honest...I wonder.. ...mmmm....NO have come to a decision.. room 101 for this.

Feelingpink
23rd-March-2005, 10:01 AM
I seem to remember a website for dating and making friends with dancers - Dance Friends? Perhaps it was launched a couple of years ago?

sidney
6th-November-2006, 04:09 PM
A couple of years ago I would have said why not, but having dated two guys that I met from dancing plus one that I brought into dancing no way as I am friendly with one but the others no as they were playing the field with others on the dance circuit bit like a sailor with one in ever port but in their case one in every venue so it makes it awkward when I bump in to them now so I rather keep my dancing seperate from any future relationships

Dazzler
6th-November-2006, 04:18 PM
And here was me thinking the singletons sofa was a dating thread :na: :devil: :rofl:

jacksondonut
6th-November-2006, 05:11 PM
I believe there is nothing "wrong" with online
The problem with Ceroc, I have found, is that when I have been "on the look out" - rather than just submerging myself in the dance - is the 3-minutes-dance-and-you-are-off-to-another-dance-partner makes it difficult to try out one's latest, cringe-inducing chat-up lines (see may "First Date" thread for my poor efforts in that art form)

However, I feel online dating is well enough catered for on other sites and there's no need to start a forum thread for that. "Looking for dance partner" is fine by me. I emphasise I'm not against any method consenting adults choose to meet - it's just that creating such a forum thread will not add anything that can't be achieved anywhere else.

Clive

I am afraid I am inclined to agree with Clive on this one... :yeah:

The reason I love dancing so much is that there is rarely (well, in my case) the ulterior motive of trying to finding someone to have a relationship with, just a 3 minute enjoyable encounter.. :wink:

It would detract from my enjoyment of dancing feeling that maybe I was being scrutinised.. :eek: :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:

ALexyMiss
6th-November-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm slightly surprised at the results of this poll. I was actually thinking of starting some sort of dating-related thread :blush: but then found this and am not sure now given the results...:confused:

How about a thread that at least allows people to vote whether they are:
a) male seeking female
b) female seeking male
c) m seeking m
d) f seeking f
e) not seeking.
?
Because I find it can be hard to figure out who is and isn't single etc?:blush:

And no, I don't dance to date, but having a dancing date would be nice :wink:

ALexyMiss
6th-November-2006, 05:33 PM
I feel online dating is well enough catered for on other sites and there's no need to start a forum thread for that.

There are indeed some very good online dating websites.:respect:

However, if dancing (ability and inclination) needs to be an essential ingredient in the relationship, it is not so easy.:whistle:

Which is probably why the suggestion to start a 'dating' thread arose...:blush:

robd
6th-November-2006, 05:39 PM
How about a thread that at least allows people to vote whether they are:
a) male seeking female
b) female seeking male
c) m seeking m
d) f seeking f
e) not seeking.
?
Because I find it can be hard to figure out who is and isn't single etc?:blush:

What about
*m seeking m or f
*f seeking f or m

It all gets v complex v quickly :rolleyes:

As for figuring out, have you ever considered asking the people? :grin: Failing that just ask Cruella, she knows everything :D

ALexyMiss
6th-November-2006, 05:54 PM
What about
*m seeking m or f
*f seeking f or m

Good point, I forgot to include those that prefer not to restrict themselves to one sex :wink:

Not complex exactly, or at least not in my book :yum: Surely, we must have 99% of people covered with the above.

As for figuring out, have you ever considered asking the people? :grin:

Yes, obviously I've thought of that :yum:

But I'm too embarrassed :blush: And I'm sure some other people are too?
And I wouldn't want to risk people not wanting to dance with me because I asked if they were single or not :eek: :whistle:

But if Cruella can fill me in on all the gossip of who's with who and everything, then I'll be fine.:flower:

WittyBird
6th-November-2006, 06:04 PM
As for figuring out, have you ever considered asking the people? :grin: Failing that just ask Cruella, she knows everything :D

Ok here goes....

Cruella what did I have for lunch today?

Go on I dare ya!
I would suggest adding these two options also :D

MYOB.
I'm Fletch, go figure.

Cruella
6th-November-2006, 06:08 PM
Ok here goes....

You had Fukc all, as usual. :D

ALexyMiss
6th-November-2006, 06:13 PM

:confused: What's that got to do with it? :confused: I'm confused

Go on I dare ya!

Isn't there a separate area for dares...:eek: :sick: :wink:

WittyBird
6th-November-2006, 06:14 PM

Bl00dy h3ll you're good :D

Easy when you know how :D

WittyBird
6th-November-2006, 06:17 PM
Failing that just ask Cruella, she knows everything :D

Ok here goes....

:confused: What's that got to do with it? :confused: I'm confused

Just proves she knows everything :whistle:

Cruella
6th-November-2006, 06:19 PM
Next! :whistle:

straycat
6th-November-2006, 06:30 PM

What role does Donatello play in TMNT?

fletch
6th-November-2006, 06:32 PM

Ok hear goes:rolleyes:

Am I going to pull at Camber :confused:

Can you get me fixed up with :whistle: you know who :wink:

Witty I need a wish :tears:

fletch
6th-November-2006, 06:33 PM
MYOB.
I'm Fletch, go figure.

what's these mean :confused:

Little Monkey
6th-November-2006, 06:58 PM
Not so sure on this.....know quite a few people who met on the dance floor tho....are are currently coupling!.....the mind boggles as to the content of the ads...would they be honest...I wonder.. ...mmmm....NO have come to a decision.. room 101 for this.

I agree. Into room 101 it goes. There's tons of dating sites online anyway, for those who are interested. And also, if you're out dancing a lot, there's always a chance you'll meet someone there..... I know lots of people who have met their partners through dancing (two couples getting married soon, too!), including myself.

And like Dazzler said, you could always start posting on the Singletons Sofa, as that where most of the singles are hanging out, anyway..... :rolleyes:

WittyBird
6th-November-2006, 07:00 PM
what's these mean :confused:

Mind your own business :D

Cruella
6th-November-2006, 07:03 PM
What role does Donatello play in TMNT?

He's the purple brainy one with a big Bostaff.

fletch
6th-November-2006, 07:03 PM
for those who are interested. And also, if you're out dancing a lot, there's always a chance you'll meet someone there.....

And like Dazzler said, you could always start posting on the Singletons Sofa, as that where most of the singles are hanging out, anyway..... :rolleyes:

yeah right :rolleyes: law of averages, it must be this weekend :clap: :hug:

Best get on the Singletons Sofa, :what: I neaver go on it :sick:

Cruella
6th-November-2006, 07:04 PM
Am I going to pull at Camber :confused:

I can't do predictions, just facts!!

fletch
6th-November-2006, 07:05 PM

Well :rolleyes:

the fact is :confused:

WittyBird
6th-November-2006, 07:06 PM

Ooooh is it time for me to bring my precious to Camber then? :rofl:

littlewiggle
6th-November-2006, 09:34 PM
"Me dancer. Me need woman bad. You reply. Us meet and boogie"

"
.....any takers ? :)

This one cracked me up! Very caveman!

Sunshine_Annie
7th-November-2006, 09:38 AM
Anyone found that partners really really hated your dancing and were convinced that you'd go off with a dancer?

my last two serious-ish relationships have been like that, the guy in the last one just couldnt understand why I wanted to dance, why I didnt just want to stay at home and be with him :confused:

so taking this into consideration, then reading this thread, its all very confusing... date a dancer, but thats hard as taking to them is hard and might cause problems in the dance group.

Date a non dancer and have them jealous of all the other men 'touching' you!!!

is a complex world with live in for sure!!!

straycat
7th-November-2006, 09:41 AM
He's the purple brainy one with a big Bostaff.

A Gold Star and some GeekRep for you, m'dear :grin:

Beowulf
7th-November-2006, 10:37 AM
I think a dedicated Single's Seeking area on here wouldn't be a good idea. The singleton's sofa is there already and allows single (or not) people to meet and chat without bothering anyone else on the forum (although of late there does seem to have been some Singleton sofa spillage into other threads)

I think all we need is the Singletons Sofa. (it worked for me :wink: :clap:)

Dazzler
7th-November-2006, 02:52 PM
(it worked for me :wink: :clap:)
:really: no way?....dont think i had heard of that m8 :na:

All the best to you though :respect:

Barry Shnikov
7th-November-2006, 03:21 PM

Went out with one woman and after only a couple of weeks she was planning who would "have" what venue on which nights after we split up...I think I felt that she was being unduly pessimistic...

Double Trouble
8th-November-2006, 03:32 PM
Went out with one woman and after only a couple of weeks she was planning who would "have" what venue on which nights after we split up...I think I felt that she was being unduly pessimistic...

:rofl: Subtle as a brick

straycat
8th-November-2006, 05:51 PM

Although it sounds like the pessimism might've been justified - assuming you're no longer together :devil:

So who won the best venues?

Barry Shnikov
8th-November-2006, 11:09 PM
Although it sounds like the pessimism might've been justified - assuming you're no longer together :devil:

So who won the best venues?

I told her I wouldn't play that game. I'll go to the venues I usually go to, and if she feels she isn't up to being in the same dance hall as me, she'll have to plan her dancing accordingly.

"If I can stand it, she can! Play it, Sam!"

David Bailey
9th-November-2006, 09:34 AM
I told her I wouldn't play that game. I'll go to the venues I usually go to, and if she feels she isn't up to being in the same dance hall as me, she'll have to plan her dancing accordingly.
:yeah: :clap:

Absolutely. Do what you want, always.