PDA

View Full Version : Online Workshop: Blues & Moves

Gadget
11th-October-2006, 11:11 PM
The idea of an "online" workshop is that you can do it at your own pace, re-visit stuff you don't initially get, ignore what you think is rubbish, criticise without repercussions, stop and start whenever you want, etcetera.

Aims: This workshop has been derived to show how you can dance to slower music. It will introduce the concepts of “blues” dancing and goes through examples of how you can modify your existing repertoire of moves to dance to slower music.
There are some examples of some different blues moves and how they were created to inspire a lead to think for themselves rather than simply regurgitate moves.

Three pages of explination text and the rest is made up of examples and moves - 13 page PDF attachment. {There are no diagrams or pictures, although it has been suggested that I take some video of the 'inspirational' moves.}

If you have any feedback, positive or negative, please feel free to post here or PM me.

PS thank you to all the proof readers :flower:

Problem with attachments means that the workshop document is on the next post... for just now

Gadget
11th-October-2006, 11:12 PM
... and the file is here...

MartinHarper
12th-October-2006, 12:02 AM
re: "When dancing MJ and most swing dances, the dancers are constantly mirroring each other ... When dancing blues, partners are shadowing rather than mirroring: You move back while your partner moves forward ..."

I think you may want to remove "and most swing dances". Not true in WCS that I see. Lindy does have the mirroring aspect, but it has the shadowing aspect too.

"Assume the position" - picture worth 1000 words here.

various "moves" you discuss look well worth reading: planning to save them for later when I'm more awake.

However, the burning blues question on my mind remains unanswered. How do you avoid the whole crotch-on-leg effect when dancing that close?

Gadget
12th-October-2006, 12:21 AM
I think you may want to remove "and most swing dances".
Good point - but it's my observation rather than my experiance: reality and perceived reality. I wanted to emphisise the differences in this bit, so may not have been as 'grounded' as I ought. :innocent:

"Assume the position" - picture worth 1000 words here.hmmm... naaa. - I know for a fact that there are at least three different ways it's taught - I would rather the reader worked out on their own what felt comfortable and natural.

However, the burning blues question on my mind remains unanswered. How do you avoid the whole crotch-on-leg effect when dancing that close?:devil: avoid? :whistle:

It's to do with posture - the more you lean your torso away from your partner, the more you get that "crotch on leg" thing going on: stay nice and close and it's more a thigh on thigh - which is much more plesant to dance with... honest :innocent:

MartinHarper
12th-October-2006, 12:43 AM
:devil: avoid? :whistle:

And people wonder why slow-dancing gets a bad rep. Yes, avoid.

It's to do with posture - the more you lean your torso away from your partner, the more you get that "crotch on leg" thing going on: stay nice and close and it's more a thigh on thigh...

Hmm. I've typically slow-danced with upper half of body in full contact, so I'm doing that already I think. Plus upper torso distance is typically something the girl decides (fear the mighty left hand!). What else might I do?

Gadget
12th-October-2006, 12:59 AM
Hmm. I've typically slow-danced with upper half of body in full contact, so I'm doing that already I think. Plus upper torso distance is typically something the girl decides (fear the mighty left hand!). What else might I do?{damit, I wasn't going to reply - was just going to bed...:rolleyes:}
Maybe that's it? since you are so close, the follower feels they have to lean away a bit - shoulders go back, hips go forward*. Try adjusting your posture a bit more upright/less "towering" and takeing the follower with you. Less "I wanna hold you" and more "I'm here to be held" {:blush: that sounds so corney}

If that dosn't work, change partners - some partners just dance like that. If you're uncomfortable with it, keep to a more 'basket' front-to-back themed blues and avoid laybacks :whistle:

*I am assuming that it's the follower's 'grinding' you are talking about :what:

Genie
13th-October-2006, 04:56 PM
Mmm, yes, there are some people you want to avoid the grinding thing with... and it's not easy if you are a follower. Or perhaps it's just me :confused:

On the other hand, a little 'crotch on thigh' dancing with some people *cough Gadget cough* can be a great deal of fun. It doesn't do much for the sense of balance or steadiness on the feet thing though :eek:

Thanks for this Gadget. Will download and read. You thinking of doing some vids to go with?

bigdjiver
13th-October-2006, 08:30 PM
... "online" workshop ,,,A prodigious piece of work. Thank-you.

Beowulf
14th-October-2006, 04:27 PM
"Assume the position" - picture worth 1000 words here.

hmmm... naaa. - I know for a fact that there are at least three different ways it's taught - I would rather the reader worked out on their own what felt comfortable and natural.

but what if what feels natural is just plain back to front? On my Beginners blues DVD The male lead puts his left arm round the woman back and holds right hand to womans left down low, while the woman puts her right hand on his left shoulder.

Whenever I think about it I feel it would be more natural to me to put my right arm round her.. but then all the moves would be back to front N'est pas? Probably explains why I have so much difficulty in dancing blues.. i'm doing it backwards.. I'm dancing the Seulb.. not the Blues :wink: :D

would like some pics too.. my imagination when it comes to verbal descriptions of moves is not very good.

Lynn
14th-October-2006, 04:37 PM
but what if what feels natural is just plain back to front? On my Beginners blues DVD The male lead puts his left arm round the woman back and holds right hand to womans left down low, while the woman puts her right hand on his left shoulder. Never seen it done that way before - neither in classes or in any blues dances I've had. Not that I would mind if it was led that way - just different I guess.

Whenever I think about it I feel it would be more natural to me to put my right arm round her.. but then all the moves would be back to front N'est pas? Again, that's the usual way I've seen it done. Just as in ballroom, or AT the man's left/woman's right is the 'open' side, the man's right/woman's left is in some form of 'embrace'.

So your 'natural' feel is probably based on this, and would also feel 'natural' for most partners.

Gadget
14th-October-2006, 07:51 PM
but what if what feels natural is just plain back to front?Who says what feels natural is wrong?

This : On my Beginners blues DVD The male lead puts his left arm round the woman back and holds right hand to womans left down low, while the woman puts her right hand on his left shoulder....is completley the opposite of what I've said in the workshop. (although I have mentioned this position in one of the moves)

I agree that it feels more natural with the right hand round the back. {Are you sure you're picking it up from the DVD right?}

would like some pics too.. my imagination when it comes to verbal descriptions of moves is not very good.
Poss discuss this via PM.... {Snapper talents may be of some avail}

Yogi_Bear
14th-October-2006, 11:17 PM
but what if what feels natural is just plain back to front? On my Beginners blues DVD The male lead puts his left arm round the woman back and holds right hand to womans left down low, while the woman puts her right hand on his left shoulder.

Whenever I think about it I feel it would be more natural to me to put my right arm round her.. but then all the moves would be back to front N'est pas? Probably explains why I have so much difficulty in dancing blues.. i'm doing it backwards.. I'm dancing the Seulb.. not the Blues :wink: :D

Well I'm sorry but that is a mirror image of reality. The basic blues close hold is conventional in that the man's right hand is around the woman's back under her right shoulder blade (it feels normal not to talk of leaders and followers here) and his left hand is by his left thigh or the left side of his chest. I have never heard of it being danced in mirror image.

Beowulf
14th-October-2006, 11:50 PM
ok.. do I not feel stupid now..

watched the DVD again.. paused the DVD and orientated myself the same way as the lead. YES he IS putting his right arm round her and left arm out

I have no idea how I got it into my head it was the other way around. My Spacial perception is all to pot obviously ;) Just goes to show it's easier to be taught in person than off a DVD :)

sorry for the confusion folks.. I'm off to bed now to allow me to put my brain in the recuperation tank for the night :) I think it needs it :blush:

(at least my gut instinct was right.. but now I realise I've been learning to do the moves backwards after all!! )

Lynn
15th-October-2006, 12:32 AM
I have no idea how I got it into my head it was the other way around. My Spacial perception is all to pot obviously ;) Just goes to show it's easier to be taught in person than off a DVD :)I've been trying to learn things off a video and a DVD this week. The video I was watching by myself, as a lot of the basic stuff was footwork it wasn't too bad (not MJ). The DVD was a friend's, to practice some Ceroc intermediate moves together.

What I discovered along the way is that its much easier learning from a DVD if you are learning with a partner and stand at the same sides as the pair on the screen. Its more difficult by yourself!