PDA

View Full Version : Excel help

cerocmetro
10th-October-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi can someone help please.

I know the formula to show todays date. =INT(TODAY())

but i want this to happen

I have a spreadsheet calender.

=if(the date is today, high light this cell, infact make it REALLY stand out if it is not todays then do nothing.

I can do the do nothing bit :-)

I guess I need if the arguement is positive, run a macro, how do i do that?

Thanks
Adam

Dynamo
10th-October-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi can someone help please.

I know the formula to show todays date. =INT(TODAY())

but i want this to happen

I have a spreadsheet calender.

=if(the date is today, high light this cell, infact make it REALLY stand out if it is not todays then do nothing.

I can do the do nothing bit :-)

I guess I need if the arguement is positive, run a macro, how do i do that?

Thanks
Adam
Hi Adam

Fastest solution is 2 results columns
column 1 shows bright format for today else nothing
column 2 shows nothing for today else normal format day

Format the whole column in both cases so result shows either in column 1 as Today or every other day in column 2.

Not quite your answer but the fastest.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

next best route is have a button next to the results column.
The macro tests the date in all cells of the results column and formats the cells accordingly.

If you run record macro, now write the test for date and do highlighting in the relevant cell, then end macro
editing the macro and changing the cell references will allow you to create the macro you require in VB.

hope this helps else PM me

Dynamo

cerocmetro
10th-October-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Adam

Fastest solution is 2 results columns
column 1 shows bright format for today else nothing
column 2 shows nothing for today else normal format day

Format the whole column in both cases so result shows either in column 1 as Today or every other day in column 2.

Not quite your answer but the fastest.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

next best route is have a button next to the results column.
The macro tests the date in all cells of the results column and formats the cells accordingly.

If you run record macro, now write the test for date and do highlighting in the relevant cell, then end macro
editing the macro and changing the cell references will allow you to create the macro you require in VB.

hope this helps else PM me

Dynamo

Thanks thats gets me on the way, but then when the day has past i will need the formatting to go back to nothing. :sick:

Dynamo
10th-October-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks thats gets me on the way, but then when the day has past i will need the formatting to go back to nothing. :sick:

Hi Adam

fit this formula

=IF(C10>TODAY(),"Plain",IF(C10<TODAY(),"plain","Today=Bold"))

C10 is the cell with the date to be tested.

In the colum for Today=bold you format bold. you also make result visible

In the column for NOT today you format column plain. you also make the result visible.

Dynamo

bigdjiver
11th-October-2006, 12:13 AM
use conditional formatting with today as the criteria.

Conditional formatting
new rule
cells that contain
dates occurring
Today

Blueshoes
11th-October-2006, 12:36 AM

If you want to make the cell really stand out you will have to use conditional formatting;

Highlight the cell or column you've got your dates in. Go to format, conditional formatting, enter data: Cell Value is, equal to, INT(TODAY()). Then hit the format button and change the colour. Save that and when today's date is in that cell/column it will come up in your chosen colour!

Hope that's what you're looking for.... :)

Dynamo
11th-October-2006, 01:51 AM
use conditional formatting with today as the criteria.

Conditional formatting
new rule
cells that contain
dates occurring
Today

:yeah: :waycool: :worthy:

I use Excell often and well, but you taught me to use a new function to me. :respect: thanks bigdjiver

Listener
22nd-October-2006, 01:11 PM
I often use the excellent http://www.exceltip.com/ for Excel help or google the problem plus Excel in the search......looks like I may start coming here from now on tho :wink:

Dynamo
23rd-October-2006, 11:47 AM
I often use the excellent http://www.exceltip.com/ for Excel help or google the problem plus Excel in the search......looks like I may start coming here from now on tho :wink:

:yeah:

Cool tip :waycool:
loads of geeks here :D , many much better than me :worthy: , but we all like to help a fellow dancer. :cheers:

under par
23rd-October-2006, 02:58 PM
:respect: :respect: WOW!!!:respect: :respect:

I am really REALLY impressed with the vast knowledge of gobbledy gook you guys understand.

Hats off to you ALL:respect:

signed the Forum non-geek