PDA

View Full Version : WSC week-end in Paris 26/27/28 Jan

Caro
10th-October-2006, 01:57 PM
ok I thought I would post here some details about the WCS week-end in Paris with Jordan & Tatiana and Parker & Jessica.

I realise this could also sit in the social event section but since the public for this is quite limited I thought it would be better here. Also, I am in no way connected to the people organising this so this is not an ad, just some practical details to get those interested organised logistically. :flower:

All the details of the week-end are posted here (http://www.parisswingfestival.com/index.htm) but it's in French so I'm going to translate the relevant bits.

What:
- Parties on friday and saturday (20 euros together) + revision workshop with J&T on friday night.
- Workshops on Sat and Sunday, 4 levels: Beginners(1) / improvers(2) / Intermediates(3) / Pros (4). All 8 hours except level 4 (6 hours).
You can combine certain levels and do 1+2 or 2+3. (14 hours)
Price if booking before 15/12: (add 20 euros after that date)
One level: 100 euros (180 if couple, saving 10 each)
Two levels: 175 euros (300 if couple)

Where
It takes place slightly South east of Paris (near Orly airport).
Public transportation is available but it seems to be a bit of a mess (underground or train + bus + walking), so it looks like the best would be to take a hotel near the venue (+classes start as early as 10.30 :eek: ).

Accomodation
As I said, hotel near the venue looks like the best option.
Some hotels from 60 euros / night for a double room, 60 for a triple.

Transportation
- Over there: looks like renting a car will be necessary, except if some people take their own car.
- To get there: well from London there are 3 options:
> Flights: usually to Charles de Gaulle (there is a bus to Orly), from London starts at 61 GBP (90 euros) with Easyjet (from Luton though)
> Train (Eurostar): from 69 GBP/ person (100 euros)
> Car: from London about 5 hours drive, about 110 euros (petrol+toll) - based on one person so less if sharing.

Budget:
taking, in euros: 100, workshop + 100, transportation (return) to Paris + 100, accomodation and food + 20, parties = roughly 320 euros (220 pounds); a bit more if we need to rent a car.

Now... who's going ???

I know I most definately am (after being dancing deprived for 4 months!!!), so is my best friend (she lives in France). RK said he was interested as well.
Anybody else? If so let me know so that we can finalise the details and try to get a good price. I intend to book this within the next few weeks.

Paul F
10th-October-2006, 02:11 PM
Count me in :nice:

robd
10th-October-2006, 02:14 PM
Kind of tangential but this got me thinking. When J&T, say, teach workshops in France do they have a translator on stage also? Or do they teach in English and expect the dancers to understand? Or do they speak French??

jacksondonut
10th-October-2006, 02:15 PM
this looks very enticing to me also... love Paris..:flower: :clap:

Jan
x

Caro
10th-October-2006, 02:35 PM
Kind of tangential but this got me thinking. When J&T, say, teach workshops in France do they have a translator on stage also? Or do they teach in English and expect the dancers to understand? Or do they speak French??

last summer in at the festival in La Grande Motte, they had me :waycool: ... which was great fun!
J&T usually try to speak French... :respect: but their explanations remain very basic!!!

Caro
10th-October-2006, 02:38 PM
Forgot to ask... can you precise which level you want to do so that we can arrange to book as couples?
Paul, I'm assuming 4?
RK, JD, I'm not sure?
Emie (my friend) will be 1
Myself I'm hesitating between 2 and 3... timetable works better for me for level 3... (need to catch a flight to Aberdeen sunday late afternoon)

Paul F
10th-October-2006, 02:44 PM
Forgot to ask... can you precise which level you want to do so that we can arrange to book as couples?
Paul, I'm assuming 4?

Im game :)

At some point I have to stop booking up weekenders. :rolleyes: This one is a day after my birthday though *hint hint* so its a good excuse :clap:

Dizzy
10th-October-2006, 03:03 PM
This sounds really good but I don't know if I can afford it as I will be going to Southport too :what:

What to do, What to do??!!

Lynn
10th-October-2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm, beginners level included... this might be a way for me to get my WCS off the ground as it were. I did find going to an AT weekend really helped my tango. Tempting.

Yliander
10th-October-2006, 06:59 PM
sounds fab - will absolutely be hoping to make it but am steadly running out of time to do all the things I want to

Cruella
12th-October-2006, 08:39 AM
Ooooh Caro, you really are a temptress! I'd love to go on this, but i'm not sure hubby would be too pleased about me having a weekend in Paris without him in tow. :sick:

Caro
12th-October-2006, 08:46 AM
Ooooh Caro, you really are a temptress!
Who, moi???? never been called that before :innocent:

I'd love to go on this, but i'm not sure hubby would be too pleased about me having a weekend in Paris without him in tow. :sick:

Well you know it's a bit outside of Paris and if you do the classes and parties I doubt you'll have time to enjoy the romantic city...

Surely a dance week-end in Thiais :what: sounds less of treat??? Come on you know you want to!!!! :D

Sheepman
12th-October-2006, 04:04 PM
Sounds very tempting, but it is only a week before Southport, and 2 weeks after Bognor.

So who are the DJs...? Or are they looking for one? :whistle:

Greg

Caro
12th-October-2006, 09:34 PM
So who are the DJs...? Or are they looking for one? :whistle:

I'll ask if you want :D If it's the same people who organised the festival last summer in La Grande Motte; then it's likely to be one of the teachers DJing. And from what they played I'd say the style is quite different from WCS parties in the UK, i.e. very little bluesy kind of swing but more R&B and 'modern' tracks.

Still.... it's going to be a fab week-end and I can only encourage you to come along! Same for you Lynn (my friend Emie is also a beginner, never danced WCS, so you won't be alone) and Yliander! And I know MsFab is thinking about it too, eventhough she's keeping quiet... :whistle:

Lindsay
16th-October-2006, 06:09 PM
Merci pour l'information Caro, j'ai besoin de plus de renseignements, ça m'intéresse beaucoup. Je vais regardez le web maintenant! :grin:

spikey blond
17th-October-2006, 11:09 PM
Sounds really interesting to me too - having just got back from Boogie by the Bay I have already got serious withdrawal symptoms - prospect of long weekend in Paris with those stars of the WCS world too good to miss:clap: :clap: . Will look into ferries/hotel prices etc and try to get carload organised. Hopefully it won't be too long before we host our own UK full WCS weekenders and won't have to travel quite so far!

Caro
20th-October-2006, 10:37 AM
ok... let's get organised.

I have found the perfect place to stay :clap: :
- Hotel 1.4 km away from the venue (ie 15 min walk), 2 stars (so basic)
see here (http://www.grandhotelsenia.com/index.htm) (attached map of both hotel and venue)
please don't book using expedia/opodo since it is more expensive than the fare I have just confirmed by phone. I'm happy to book all the rooms we need provided you are certain to come.
- 60 euros per room (twin beds) per night, i.e 60 euros for 2 nights per person - there are triple rooms available if you want to make it cheaper. (prices on the website seem less but that's because they are raising them in 2007)

I have called them and negociated free breakfast (if we book more than 5 rooms), and free shuttle van to the venue (if we'lazy). Also free transfer to orly airport (4 km) and tube station (2 km).

I have called the organisers of the WCS event to ask if we can get collective discount and to ensure we can pay by credit card, but they don't pick up the phone so far (and haven't replied to my last e-mail either). I'll keep trying.

So who's coming and what level:

Paul F & Lindsay: level 4
Moi and RK: level 3 (may be! timetable works better than level 2 for me!)
Emie, Lynn: level 1

to be confirmed:
MsFab (level?), Foxylady, Jan (?), Sheepman, Spikey Blond (are you on your own?), Dizzy (??), Yli (??)

Lindsay says she has a group from Edinburgh as well (can you advise numbers for hotel rooms and level please!).

So, guys, can you confirm:
- if the hotel I picked is ok with you (I really think this is the best option), so that we can arrange how many rooms to book (I said top the hotel I will call them back next week with a more precise number)
- what level you'll be doing
- how you intend to travel (hotel is close to Orly airport and there is a shuttle between Orly and Charles de Gaulle).

Myself I'll fly from Aberdeen, arriving friday afternoon at Charles de Gaulle and leaving sunday night. I'll stay in a twin room with my friend Emie.

Lynn
20th-October-2006, 10:47 AM
- how you intend to travel (hotel is close to Orly airport and there is a shuttle between Orly and Charles de Gaulle).

Myself I'll fly from Aberdeen, arriving friday afternoon at Charles de Gaulle and leaving sunday night. I'll stay in a twin room with my friend Emie.How long does the shuttle take from Orly to Charles de Gaulle? Still trying to work out timings, costs and travel feasiblity...Might prove too expensive :tears: though that's a fab rate at the hotel - 60 euros for 2 nights B&B!

Caro
20th-October-2006, 10:54 AM
How long does the shuttle take from Orly to Charles de Gaulle? Still trying to work out timings, costs and travel feasiblity...Might prove too expensive :tears: though that's a fab rate at the hotel - 60 euros for 2 nights B&B!

about 45 min if there isn't too much traffic (airfrance shuttle) and it's 16 euros (one way).
You can always use the tube / RER system as well but I'm not sure how long it take.
Plan 90 min just to be safe. From the venue to Orly, plan 15 min to be safe.

And since missing your plane isn't an enjoyable experience :yeah: , I'd advise you add an extra 30 min for whatever exceptional circumstances or you get lost or whatever!

Lynn
20th-October-2006, 11:00 AM
about 45 min if there isn't too much traffic (airfrance shuttle) and it's 16 euros (one way).
You can always use the tube / RER system as well but I'm not sure how long it take.
Plan 90 min just to be safe. From the venue to Orly, plan 15 min to be safe.

And since missing your plane isn't an enjoyable experience :yeah: , I'd advise you add an extra 30 min for whatever exceptional circumstances or you get lost or whatever!Hmm, that means probably not arriving till after 11pm on Fri night and having to leave about 3pm on Sunday afternoon. (Only one flight a day with Easyjet, so far can't find another budget airline on that route.) Maybe proving to be too far and expensive for a relatively short trip. :(

TheTramp
20th-October-2006, 11:07 AM
Hmmm.....

I'm thinking about this. When does all the money have to be paid - ie. we don't pay for the hotel in advance I assume, when does the ticket for the event have to be paid for? (cash flow at the moment, having just bought my flight to Oz next summer).

What's the level 2 timetable like?

Rhythm King
20th-October-2006, 12:04 PM
Subject to a possible work commitment I'm in and planning on Level 3, so book for me please (If there is a problem with work, don't worry, I'll still pay what's necessary).

I haven't decided about travel yet, I'm willing to either go on the Eurostar and chip in on local car hire with people, or cadge a lift from UK with someone on a costs shared basis. I can be free to travel on the Friday and Monday, as required.

Msfab
20th-October-2006, 12:42 PM
So who's coming and what level:
to be confirmed:
MsFab (level?), Foxylady, Jan (?), Sheepman, Spikey Blond (are you on your own?), Dizzy (??), Yli (??)

Whats the difference between the levels? And the timetables?
Im assuming level 1 is basic - Dont think I need that one.
Level 4 is the Highest - Maybe in 2010!
So I guess its between level 2 and 3? Help:blush:

TheTramp
20th-October-2006, 12:45 PM
So I guess its between level 2 and 3? Help:blush:

You can come and keep me company in level 2 if you like! :flower:

Lory
20th-October-2006, 12:48 PM

You should book as a couple anyway, for whatever levels, just cos it's cheaper ;)

Caro
20th-October-2006, 12:57 PM

hum... no offence but... I think she's more like a level 3 :D :rofl:

Here's a translation of the level definition:
1: 'discovery' (beginners) you are at the beginning of your learning journey and you are still looking forward to discover that dance
2 'learning' (improvers) you've mastered (as if anybody really did :whistle: ) the basics of this dance and you want to learn more variations
3: 'improvement' (intermediates): you've mastered this dance (lol) and have your own style, but still want to learn more
4: 'pros' this level is only open to professionals of this dance such as teachers and competitors. Max 10 couples.

and timetable here (http://www.parisswingfestival.com/index_fichiers/page0005.htm)

Based on the sea sun and swing festival last summer (organised by the same people) I had no pb at all following level 2.
Level 3 was the maximum and Dave Hancock was in there. I don't think he found it too difficult.

TheTramp
20th-October-2006, 12:58 PM
You should book as a couple anyway, for whatever levels, just cos it's cheaper ;)

Good point!

Msfab
20th-October-2006, 01:03 PM
hum... no offence but... I think she's more like a level 3 :D :rofl: :blush: :flower:

3: 'improvement' (intermediates): you've mastered this dance (lol) and have your own style, but still want to learn more
Level 3 it is!

Do couples have to be at the same level? If not, do you fancy booking together Trampy?
If yes, any takers for level 3?:whistle:

Is there anything going on the sunday night? Should I get a flight for sunday evening, seeing as the last level 3 finishes as 5.30. :confused:

TheTramp
20th-October-2006, 01:06 PM
hum... no offence but... I think she's more like a level 3 :D :rofl:

Here's a translation of the level definition:
1: 'discovery' (beginners) you are at the beginning of your learning journey and you are still looking forward to discover that dance
2 'learning' (improvers) you've mastered (as if anybody really did :whistle: ) the basics of this dance and you want to learn more variations
4: 'pros' this level is only open to professionals of this dance such as teachers and competitors. Max 10 couples.

and timetable here (http://www.parisswingfestival.com/index_fichiers/page0005.htm)

Based on the sea sun and swing festival last summer (organised by the same people) I had no pb at all following level 2.
Level 3 was the maximum and Dave Hancock was in there. I don't think he found it too difficult.

No offence taken.

I was basing my understanding of the structure more on the US level I guess (at Boogie in the Bay). Where Paul and Cat danced at their level 2 (Intermediate), with beginners below them, and advanced and champions above them.

Thanks for some clarification (and the translation!) there....

Msfab
20th-October-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for some clarification there....
Do you want upgrade yourself to level 3?:whistle:

Keith J
20th-October-2006, 01:10 PM
We have had a brief discussion and thinking maybe to catch a late Friday night channel tunnel and drive to Paris. (Well I used to drive to Val D'Isere in the ski season so why not?). This is mainly because it minimises the travel costs with 4 aboard. Also the mileage cannot be much further than Southport overall for us in Surrey. I have yet to look at this overall but the Southport trip is just under 600 miles round trip.
I guess booking channel tunnel or ferry as early as possible usually ensures a good discount as this part of the year is fairly quiet.
Will do a little investigation and post any good information on the drive / channel crossing options.
Of course this may also be a good time to get sat' nav' with European maps!

Msfab
20th-October-2006, 01:46 PM
We have had a brief discussion and thinking maybe to catch a late Friday night channel tunnel and drive to Paris. ............Will do a little investigation and post any good information on the drive / channel crossing options.

If it can be done for less than £60 - ill consider it!

Dizzy
20th-October-2006, 01:50 PM
Just a thought but so far all the information appears to be in French and will be taught to mainly a french audience (I presume) - does this mean that the classes will be in french??

I know that they are going to be American teachers but I would hate to spend the money to go and not understand them :sick:

Caro
20th-October-2006, 01:54 PM
Just a thought but so far all the information appears to be in French and will be taught to mainly a french audience (I presume) - does this mean that the classes will be in french??

I know that they are going to be American teachers but I would hate to spend the money to go and not understand them :sick:

the only level that will have some classes in french is level 1. And you can ask somebody to translate.
And the americans teach in english, although they might pause for somebody to translate from time to time. (hopefully that'll be me cause it's great fun to do!:D )

Minnie M
20th-October-2006, 03:49 PM
I like the sound of this weekend - am very tempted :innocent:

However, I would go in at Level 2 definitely, would rather know the basics well before moving up. I did all the 'novice' classes in Boston and still learnt lots

Paul F
20th-October-2006, 05:01 PM
However, I would go in at Level 2 definitely, would rather know the basics well before moving up. I did all the 'novice' classes in Boston and still learnt lots

Same here. When I go to different teachers for whatever dance Im there for I like to do beginners up to whatever level I am. With different teachers comes a different outlook. More often than not they are more able to articulate the fundamental principles as they see it in a low-pressured beginners class than in a no holds barred pro class.
I had considered doing all 4 levels (or as many as the timetable allows without clashes) but thats upwards of £300. As it currently stands doing 2 levels totals just under £300 all in.

Caro
20th-October-2006, 05:16 PM
I had considered doing all 4 levels (or as many as the timetable allows without clashes) but thats upwards of £300. As it currently stands doing 2 levels totals just under £300 all in.

I wanted to do 2 levels as well (2+3), but that's 6 hours of classes everyday, and they start early! Last summer in la Grande Motte we had 4 hours / day and it was more than enough for me, I just couldn't take anything in anymore after 3 and a half hours... :sad:
So I think I'd rather try and do one level to the best I can than 2 levels and being exhausted / not concentrated during the last classes.

+ you need energy left for the parties at night :clap: - it's not that often that I can get a full night of WCS freestyle (it's actually never!) and I want to dance as much as I can.... ooohhh I can't wait!!!

Msfab
20th-October-2006, 05:22 PM
I wanted to do 2 levels as well (2+3), but that's 6 hours of classes everyday, and they start early! Last summer in la Grande Motte we had 4 hours / day and it was more than enough for me, I just couldn't take anything in anymore after 3 and a half hours... :sad:
So I think I'd rather try and do one level to the best I can than 2 levels and being exhausted / not concentrated during the last classes.

+ you need energy left for the parties at night :clap: - it's not that often that I can get a full night of WCS freestyle (it's actually never!) and I want to dance as much as I can.... ooohhh I can't wait!!!

I did briefly think about that - but money and brain energy dont permit!
Its best to be excellent and 1 thing than cr@p at lots!:rolleyes:

I might have some else to add to the list!:clap:

spikey blond
22nd-October-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi Caro/Everyone

Keith and I have costed out the trip with Eurotunnel and have got a carload of 4 together - seems to come out in the region of £150 per person excluding food. Really interested in going - so what is the next step?? Do you need deposit for hotel? Names? Would be great to get as many as possible over there and make it a really good weekend.:clap: :clap: Will let the other regulars at Cat and Lee's class at Twickenham know next Wednesday (those you haven't already read this thread) and see if we can generate any more interest. Would be a great pity to miss this opportunity when it is so close to home!

Minnie M
22nd-October-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Caro/Everyone

Keith and I have costed out the trip with Eurotunnel and have got a carload of 4 together - seems to come out in the region of £150 per person excluding food. Really interested in going - so what is the next step?? Do you need deposit for hotel? Names? Would be great to get as many as possible over there and make it a really good weekend.:clap: :clap: Will let the other regulars at Cat and Lee's class at Twickenham know next Wednesday (those you haven't already read this thread) and see if we can generate any more interest. Would be a great pity to miss this opportunity when it is so close to home!

:confused: sorry if I sound thick - but what does the £150 per include other than the Eurotunnel cost :flower:

Keith J
22nd-October-2006, 04:02 PM
Yes, Minnie it does we looked at going Thursday, Friday using the channel tunnel, based on 4 in a car. So it would double if there was just two people.

We are probably 85% certain of going at the moment, its just whether this impacts Southport the week after, in terms of work & leave, and whether the usual suspects are at Southport because they may be at this event.
Good to hear from incidently! Take care, hugs.

Minnie M
22nd-October-2006, 04:11 PM
so (being thick) - the total cost of the car is £600 via Eurotunnel or the cost of the journey including petrol from Surrey to Paris ????

Then we need to add food - hotel - and the costs of the event ??? Is that correct ?

Lynn
22nd-October-2006, 04:22 PM
How I'm working it out...

The hotel is 60 euros for 2 nights if sharing a room (is that right?) so about £42 - great value. I think Caro might be able to get breakfast included - so lunch and evening meals needs to be added.

Workshops - 100 euros (1 level) -parties Fri and Sat 20 euros - so 120 euros - about £85.

So lets say £130 for classes, parties and 2 nights in hotel. Food and travel on top of that. I could fly for about £80 (I think), but flight times not good and I can't take leave as its already planned for other weekenders. Also not sure about the fact that Level 1 (the level I am at) is taught in French and I'd have to get someone to translate...

Will there be other events like this? I.e. - if I can't go this time, will there be another event with a crowd going? :flower: (My leave situation will improve after April)

Caro
22nd-October-2006, 05:04 PM
How I'm working it out...

The hotel is 60 euros for 2 nights if sharing a room (is that right?) so about £42 - great value. I think Caro might be able to get breakfast included - so lunch and evening meals needs to be added.

indeed this is right; and I have negociated free breakfast if we book more than 5 rooms. I might try to negociate further discount if we are more than 10 rooms, we'll see.
I haven't asked the price but a triple room is probably around 80 euros so it might reduce the price further if people are interested.

Workshops - 100 euros (1 level) -parties Fri and Sat 20 euros - so 120 euros - about £85.

you need to add 25 euros on top of that if you want to do the revision class with J&T on the friday night.
I highly recommend it, they did one last summer going over the basic 6 moves and at this time I had no idea how many stuffs you can do wrong in a sugar push (sorry I should say push-break) or a whip. :respect:

Also not sure about the fact that Level 1 (the level I am at) is taught in French and I'd have to get someone to translate...

yes you might have one or two classes in french in level 1 only, I'll ask. But Lynn if you already know the basic patterns why not trying level 2?

Will there be other events like this? I.e. - if I can't go this time, will there be another event with a crowd going? :flower: (My leave situation will improve after April)

yes Sea Sun and Swing festival in La grande motte in july (see my thread on 'WCS private with a champion?' I posted a review), with usually the same american teachers. The first week-end is dedicated to WCS then the rest of the week is lindy/balboa.

I'll book hotel rooms next week, can the people interested please send me a PM with number of people, names and type of room.
I am still trying to get in touch with the organisers for booking the workshops but they don't reply to their phone. I am just concerned that on the registration form they ask for a cheque in euros, and I know you guys will probably not have that.
Also if we book as a group we might get further discounts.
I'll post more info on that as soon as I know, let's sort out who's coming and how first.

Lynn
22nd-October-2006, 06:29 PM
yes Sea Sun and Swing festival in La grande motte in july (see my thread on 'WCS private with a champion?' I posted a review), with usually the same american teachers. The first week-end is dedicated to WCS then the rest of the week is lindy/balboa. Sea, sun and swing sounds good!

yes you might have one or two classes in french in level 1 only, I'll ask. But Lynn if you already know the basic patterns why not trying level 2?Not sure if about 7 'beginner' classes at various weekenders counts as 'knowing the basic patterns'! But I did spend some time with a friend last night going over the basics (passes, SP and basket whip). :D Found a willing victim to do the 'learn from video' thing which is all I seem to be able to access in NI. (And even then I'm having problems getting videos/dvds to learn from - have one borrowed from a line dance teacher but have already covered all the material in the WCS part of it).

Lindsay
22nd-October-2006, 07:00 PM
About 8 defs. from Edin/Dundee...
Caro I will fwd you the rest if the names/levels in the next 24hrs!
We're planning to fly direct. Cheapest I can find is £94 return Edin-Paris (GDG). How far is it from CDG Airport to the place?

Minnie M
22nd-October-2006, 07:16 PM
Gosh this does sound more and more exciting - I was thinking of doing the level 2 - but all the workshops are in the afternoon :sick: so annoying :sad: not sure if I want to do level 3

Need to find a travelling and room companion first though - anyone travelling alone and needs company :flower:

Caro
23rd-October-2006, 09:12 AM
you need to add 25 euros on top of that if you want to do the revision class with J&T on the friday night.

ok it seems I was wrong there, the revision class is included is the price of the workshops. Sorry!

In level 1 there will be 6 hours taught by the americans, 2 hours by french teachers.
Other levels only taught by the americans.

And you can book as couples eventhough you are not doing the same level, which should simplify things for us.

Tried to call them again this morning, found the voicemail one more time. Where are they :confused:

Keith J
23rd-October-2006, 10:46 AM
Gosh this does sound more and more exciting - I was thinking of doing the level 2 - but all the workshops are in the afternoon :sick: so annoying :sad: not sure if I want to do level 3

Need to find a travelling and room companion first though - anyone travelling alone and needs company :flower:

Sorry, if its not clear thats an all in estimate total per person including the fuel, the accomodation, workshops, ferry or channel tunnel, Peage. Excluded food tho, hopefully theres a nice bistro nearby (hello hello - pun intended).
Of course its our estimate from our home grounds based on a diesel doing about 50mpg.
So please do your own estimate, I would have thought you being in Hove, Gatwick and a cheap flight would do you nicely?

Minnie M
23rd-October-2006, 02:14 PM
Sorry, if its not clear thats an all in estimate total per person including the fuel, the accomodation, workshops, ferry or channel tunnel, Peage. Excluded food tho, hopefully theres a nice bistro nearby (hello hello - pun intended).
Of course its our estimate from our home grounds based on a diesel doing about 50mpg.
So please do your own estimate, I would have thought you being in Hove, Gatwick and a cheap flight would do you nicely?
You are confusing the old lady again Keith :confused: I think you have quoted the wrong post :tears:

I assume you are referring to the £150 per person quote you mentioned - which if that is the case it is fantastic !!!!!!

I have been doing some sums though - and it is not as expensive as I first thought - although it does bother me that the level I wish to do is only in the afternoon :really: especially as I am an early riser and absorb more in the morning. PLUS level 2 goes on till about 7pm - yuck ! I switch off classes at about 5pm (morning person:blush:)

Flying has it's own problems, like getting to and from airport - would rather fill a car up and drive to Dover

Caro
23rd-October-2006, 02:30 PM
How far is it from CDG Airport to the place?

Flying has it's own problems, like getting to and from airport -...

CDG is about 45 min from Orly with the AirFrance shuttle bus (16 euros one way).

Then we can arrange for the hotel to come and pick us up from Orly (it's free and just 4 or 5 km).

Caro
24th-October-2006, 11:24 AM
ok I have finally got the organiser on the phone :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here's how we are going to do this:
- if more than 10 people we will all get 10% discount, provided people register in 'my' group :waycool: (by the way I could have had the workshops for free but I said it'd be better to get a discount for everybody, ...just in case some think I get any advantage in this... I don't! (but who would think that anyway :innocent: :rolleyes: ))
- Everybody will have to send a registration form (attached here, I translated the main info for you), that means 2 forms for one couple.
- On the registration form there is written 'Groupe Caroline XXXXX', you will have to write my last name here (send me a PM and I'll send it back). This is so that they know we are all from the same group and we can get a discount.
- Payment will be made by transfer, details of bank account number etc will be advised shortly by PM once I have them.
- Do not wait, send the completed form NOW to book your place and we will sort out payment afterwards.

- Once you have sent your form, I will book you a room in the hotel that I described earlier if that's where you want to stay. Again, this allows for the group to have free breakfast. Since you will have to contact me by PM to get my last name, this will allow me to keep track of numbers and book the appropriate number of rooms. You will have to pay for the room yourself when you check out.

Hope this makes sense?

I am sooo excited about this now, this is going to be great :D :clap: :clap:

foxylady
24th-October-2006, 07:56 PM
Is there a guy who who be interested in booking with me ? I'd really love to go.... and you get a discount booking as a couple, and hopefully a dance partner for the weekend too....

Dizzy
25th-October-2006, 09:23 AM
Is there a guy who who be interested in booking with me ? I'd really love to go.... and you get a discount booking as a couple, and hopefully a dance partner for the weekend too....

:yeah: Me too.

Looking at the regestration form, I couple need to register at the same level.

I am a level 2 :whistle:

Caro
25th-October-2006, 09:27 AM
:yeah: Me too.

Looking at the regestration form, I couple need to register at the same level.

I am a level 2 :whistle:

No Paco (the lady who organises this) said that you can book as a couple but doing different levels.
We'll have 10% discount anyway even for singles. I suggest you book asap (you don't have to pay right now) and then if there're additional men booking we'll arrange that!

TheTramp
25th-October-2006, 09:48 AM
Okie. Flight booked.

Form printed & filled in.

Looks like I'm coming. Suppose I should maybe do a bit of practice between now and then :rolleyes:

Keith J
30th-October-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi all, anyone coming to Twickenham this week I will have print outs of all the relevant details and booking forms. I need to ask Cat' if its OK to give out but I am sure she will be fine about it.

Caro
30th-October-2006, 12:14 PM
ok folks that's 8 rooms booked in the hotel now :clap: (will send confirmation e-mail to those concerned), and the good news is that I was able to get a further discount at 55 euros / night / room with a free breakfast.

As we say in French, there's no small savings... :D

Peter
10th-November-2006, 05:03 PM
I am going!

Caro
13th-November-2006, 04:40 PM
ok guys I have finally had from the organisers the details of the bank account on which to transfer money, which I just sent by e-mail to all the people coming. So if you haven't received an e-mail and are coming to the week-end please PM me! :flower:

For info, we're now 24 definates with at least another 7 interested! The group is much bigger than I initially anticipated, I'm sure it's going to be great! :D :clap:

Msfab
21st-November-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi

Ive offered to coordinate a group transfer of monies to the french WCS organisers. We need to make sure the money gets to them before 15th Dec, Id like to leave at least 10 days for the money to go across. If you would like to join us please PM me ASAP and I will forward on my details. (Can you please pass this on to others that may be interested)

Its not to late to join us!:clap:

Lindsay
21st-November-2006, 07:54 PM
Yes please- count me in!
Can you PM the bank details.... :nice:

angelblue
26th-November-2006, 02:17 AM
Ok im giving in:yum:
Im not missing out on this one

Im treating this as a birthday present to myself as mine is the 27th of jan

Is it too late to join you?
:grin:

Msfab
26th-November-2006, 01:07 PM

:clap: its never too late! Send me a PM if you want to come in on the transfer.

Rhythm King
26th-November-2006, 01:07 PM

Yay :clap: :clap: :clap:

Come on down!!

R-K :flower:

Lindsay
26th-November-2006, 02:31 PM
More the merrier :nice:
We've booked our flights now - £120 with Air France from Edin, prices gone up £30 since last week so be quick!

Caro
27th-November-2006, 02:38 PM
I have received a couple of PM from people who want to come along, it's not too late (but getting close!) and this is what you should do:

1. Contact me and MsFab by PM (add your e-mail address please)
2. Send your form (available from post 52) to the organiser
3. Sort out the money bit with MsFab (she has kindly offered to coordinate the international transfer) - these bits (2 and 3) are pretty urgent
4. Confirm me your attendance and I'll book you a room in the hotel

Other details (like sub-group travelling, meeting at CdG / Orly etc) will be arranged via e-mails.

We're 25 now so far, this is going to be great fun - like a mini WCS Southport, but in Paris :waycool: :clap: I can't wait :drool:

Caro
13th-December-2006, 08:20 AM
Just had (finally!) confirmation by the organisers that they had received all the booking forms and money... that's then 27 of us going :clap:

Also confirmed the hotel booking (website here (http://www.grandhotelsenia.com/homepage.htm) for address and maps etc) for no less than 16 rooms!!!

Just to remind those coming, I booked the rooms but you will have to pay for it yourself when chekcing out: 55 euros/night for twin / double and 45 euros for a single.
Free breakfast and free shuttle bus if you call them when you arrive in Orly airport or at RER C 'Pont de rungis' stop.

I'm so excited about this week-end, it's going to be fab!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

TheTramp
12th-January-2007, 12:15 PM
2 weeks today! :clap:

Chef
12th-January-2007, 12:28 PM

At least I discovered that my passport was nowhere to be found with enough time remaining for me to get a replacement in time. Having a half day off work to get to the London passport office yesterday should avert a crisis.

I am starting to get worried about this weekend now. I haven't been able to get to regular classes for a while now and I am sure that bad habits are creeping back - with this weekend I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I may not learn everything but at least I will learn something. I am rather hoping that being immersed in no other style apart from WCS for a whole weekend will be a whole lot better than getting bits and peices at infrequent intervals even if there is a slight feeling of drowning involved.

Caro
12th-January-2007, 12:38 PM

yeah!!! :clap:

I've sent an e-mail to you all (those who are coming) to remind you of practical details about venue and travel, hope you've received it otherwise please PM me.

At least I discovered that my passport was nowhere to be found with enough time remaining for me to get a replacement in time.

:eek: scary! I don't think passport as such are required within the EU, I know I can travel with just my French ID card (but come to think of it, may be you don't have ID cards in the UK?). Hope you'll manage to get things sorted :flower:

Little Monkey
12th-January-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous....

Oh, who do I think I'm kidding? I'm REALLY JEALOUS!!!:tears: :tears:

Have fun, guys.................

:tears:

Msfab
12th-January-2007, 01:09 PM
At least I discovered that my passport was nowhere to be found with enough time remaining for me to get a replacement in time. Having a half day off work to get to the London passport office yesterday should avert a crisis.

You could have used a photocard driving licence instead of passport. At least you now have a passport for all your other trips abroad!

Caro
14th-January-2007, 03:46 PM
:clap: here's another good news guys:

There'll be Ben & Melina in addition to J&T and P&J !!!! How cool is that? :D

They'll teach and demo as well on saturday night.

And it looks like there's so many people that there will be 2 level 2 groups and 2 level 3 groups. There'll also be a mandatory assessment to decide on your level before the classes (will send more info to those interested by e-mail).

Can't wait for this week-end!!! :drool: :D :clap:

Lory
25th-January-2007, 04:49 PM
I hope everyone heading off to Paris tomorrow has a fabulous weekend, I'm very envious!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

p.s. don't get too good! :devil:

TheTramp
25th-January-2007, 06:21 PM
I hope everyone heading off to Paris tomorrow has a fabulous weekend

:yeah: Me too! :innocent:

p.s. don't get too good! :devil:

It's ok. I won't! :flower:

Msfab
25th-January-2007, 06:31 PM
It's ok. I won't! :flower:

Not if I've got anything to do with it!:devil:

As much as Im looking forward to the weekend - Im not looking forward to assessment on friday evening!:eek:

Thank goodness BA staff were too slow at deciding to strike or this weekend might have been even longer!:whistle:

Rhythm King
25th-January-2007, 08:52 PM
As much as Im looking forward to the weekend - Im not looking forward to assessment on friday evening!:eek:

:yeah: :what:

Thank goodness BA staff were too slow at deciding to strike or this weekend might have been even longer!:whistle:

Even better that they opted for not striking on Monday, as a gesture of good faith... otherwise my sight-seeing plans would have been the cause of problems

NZ Monkey
25th-January-2007, 08:54 PM
My plans went out the window. I've had to cut my sight-seeing by a whole day thanks to those !"£$%^&*.

Hurumph! :angry:

Caro
26th-January-2007, 04:58 PM
My flight has been cancelled :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Stranded in aberdeen airport since 9.30 this morning and hoping to make it to Paris late tonight....

I have been looking forward to this week-end for the past 6 months, had planned everything (including the end of the cameroon assignment!) around that... :tears:

Lory
26th-January-2007, 05:05 PM
My flight has been cancelled :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

OH NOOOOO! I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope something works out, that you don't miss too much :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Keith J
29th-January-2007, 10:26 AM
Ahhhh we have returned, leaving Paris about 4.30pm we arrived home at about 9.45pm. Pretty good going I reckon.
The weekend well it has some good bits and some not so good bits;
Here's the summary
The hotel was good, friendly, helpful, clean. (We liked Dougal the dog).
The hot chocolate served by the jug was wonderfulespecially at 2.30pm in the morning (plus those sweeties he rustled up)
The walk to the venue short enough but not to scenic.
Jordan & Tatiana fantastic, warm friendly as always and highly professional
All the US team was the real up side.
The venue nd event .....hmmmmmmmmm.
Its easy to criticise the event from the top down but I'll try to be balalnced.
They obviously had some issues and problems understanding the scale of the event which had gonme from what I was told by the organisers at 5-80 to
250 (?) approx.
The floors(sufaces) were good
The music was mixed
The venue overcrowded and under managed.
Basically there was nowhere to sit for the numbers of people and no real proper provision for the levels of refeshments those numbers would need. (Shila waiting 20 minutes for 2 cups of mint tea because the man had 1 tea pot? Whats wrong with a bag in a cup)
I guess this underpinned all the management issues.

The 'assessment' the leveling of dancers was a inappropriate and the numerous appeals seemed to be the name of the game.
Why oh why, where those who cannot cannot perform whips, yet alone triple steps suddenly in level 3?
Level 4 (professional ad teachers only) was the only level correctly assessed and we mere mortals, were not even allowed to spectate in the room. What was that all about?
The time wasting associated set the precident for weekend. It was definitley on European Maybe Time.
I expect there will be loads of other comments as well, so i will leave it there but personally I shall not be back.
I have suggested to the management come to the UK event so they can see and experience a larger event so they caould learn. They were quite positive about the idea.
Meanwhile we put this down to experience and look across the USA for future foreign events.

Peter
29th-January-2007, 10:44 AM
... Meanwhile we put this down to experience and look across the USA for future foreign events.

Shame ...

but on the bright side, it's only 51 nights until Boston Tea Party ...

Price for direct flights from LHR to BOS c. £300 + the weekend (special international rate) $110 + 4 nights at the hotel $400 gives a total of about £575 for all of this ...

Over 75 Workshops Included with a Weekend Pass!
Two Beginner Tracks (WCS & Lindy/Balboa)!
Over 1200 Dancers Attended in 2006!
Over 400 Competitors!
Cash Prizes for all Contests!
Thursday Night Kick-Off Party!
Midnight Breakfast Buffets!
Student & International Discounts Available!
Champion Level Instruction!
The Country's Best DJ's!
All-Night Social Dancing!

West Coast Swing Instructors
Jordan Frisbee & Tatiana Mollmann, Robert & Nicola Royston, Angel & Debbie Figueroa, Robert Cordoba & Deborah Szekely, Kyle Redd & Sarah Van Drake, John Lindo, Mary Ann Nunez, Bill Cameron, John Festa, Ben Morris & Melina Ramirez, Tybaldt & Hazel Ulrich, Demetre Souliotes, Jennifer Lyons, Sue Cath, Anne Fleming, Corey & Erin Caron, Larry & Heidi Mongeau, Neal Klein & Willow Colson-Wall

I reckon that I will be lucky to do the following schedule:

Thurs 1hr WCS lesson (+ 6hrs freestyle)
Fri 4hrs WCS lessons (+ 6hrs freestyle)
Sat 5hrs WCS lessons (+ 6hrs freestyle)
Sun 4hrs WCS lessons

but if I do then it will be £575 for 14hrs of lessons = £41/hr + 18hrs FREE freestyle

spikey blond
29th-January-2007, 02:02 PM
Sounds great, if only I had limitless holiday to take, work sooooooooooo gets in the way of dancing!!:sad: :sad:

K's report above just about sums the weekend up - a long way to go with high expectations - only updside to the event were the excellent workshops by three outstanding US dance couples and the great company of all our fellow WCSers.

Despite the reality not meeting our expectations - which only went to reinforce our feelings that we are very lucky to live in a country where such events are organised so meticulously and professionally (well there are always a few exceptions!) there were a few gems - French hot chocolate is to die for and certainly made the trip worth while (particularly for Angel Blue and me!) - dinner Saturday evening was great fun particularly when the tweezers appeared - the cabarets were absolutely amazing and although I have seen Jordan and Tats a few times already Pump never fails to excite and impress- Dougal the dog (bless his cotton socks, though Ms Fab wouldn't agree - sterlised the gloves yet??) and K causing great consternation as he breezed into the Ladies loo at a service station 'somewhere near Calais' - he assures us it was unintentional!!

Would like to thank Caro :clap: :clap: for all her help with the organisation both with event organisers and with the hotel, particularly as she was the one who had the horrendous journey to Paris!! Really, really grateful for all the hard work! Perhaps with a bit more experience of larger numbers, a better venue, a revision of certain practices (eg whole issue of 'evaluations' and issuing of 'bracelets') and greater clarity about what is actually included in the weekend, this event could go from strength to strength - I personnally will give it a good few years before I will consider giving it another try!!

Thanks to all who came and made it a good weekend despite the 'irritations'!!:cheers: :flower:

TheTramp
29th-January-2007, 02:09 PM
Sounds great, if only I had limitless holiday to take, work sooooooooooo gets in the way of dancing!!:sad: :sad:

Thanks to all who came and made it a good weekend despite the 'irritations'!!:cheers: :flower:

Not to mention limitless money!!

I had a (mostly) good weekend. The workshops were great. The organisers couldn't organise a good brewery outing! I'd consider going again though....

Lory
29th-January-2007, 02:31 PM
a long way to go with high expectations - only updside to the event were the excellent workshops by three outstanding US dance couples and the great company of all our fellow WCSers. What were the freestyles like? Did everyone mingle and dance together, regardless of where they'd come from and their levels of experience (French/Brits/Americans/professionals and novices) or did you feel obligated to stick with the people you knew?

(eg whole issue of 'evaluations' and issuing of 'bracelets') Am I reading this right?

Did you have to wear a bracelet according to your assessed level? :what:

Keith J
29th-January-2007, 03:24 PM
What were the freestyles like? Did everyone mingle and dance together, regardless of where they'd come from and their levels of experience (French/Brits/Americans/professionals and novices) or did you feel obligated to stick with the people you knew?

Am I reading this right?

Did you have to wear a bracelet according to your assessed level? :what:

The freestyle was so crowded there was huge amounts of stand off time.
The quality was very mixed but we were not overwelcomed by the host dance country :really: ( the complete opposite in the the USA!!!).

Yes an armband to tell everyone what level you were and some disputed it (see my comments). Gawd knows why when Jordan & Tatiana:respect: :worthy: , Parker and Jessica:respect: did evaluations (obviously improvers::eek: waycool: know better than them.....heck why did they not just skip straight to the pro's level?:really: )

Being hounded out of areas where you colour armband was not meant to be also seemed to be amzing....nb to be known as forthwith as the 'Syd & John armband :innocent: incident'..:eek:

meanwhile to enforce Spikey's comments absolutement
Caro :nice: :love: thanks for a great job & all the hard work.:nice:
The other UK swingers...gooood job:respect: .awesome:nice:
Dougal the dog :devil: thanks for not making anyone into a meal.
He was just a big softy.:nice:

Now just an airline ticket for BBTB 2007..........:waycool:

Dizzy
29th-January-2007, 03:25 PM
Keith's summary of the weekend was the general concensus of the visiting Brits, I think. The weekend was very poorly organised and with the French never starting on time thing.

We got there on friday night, having to pay an extra 20 euros on top of our fee for the freestyle night to be told that we had to dance to be assessed for our levels. We danced in the level that we booked for but after I danced in level 2, I soon realised that I could easily do level 3 :clap: but would have to come in at 8.30am on saturday morning to be re-assessed :what: Oh well. we did the basics class but could not move in the room as it was so jammed :what: After the class, we were told that it was a rock & roll night so only french jive music would be on BUT it would be WCS night the following night with just WCS music on. I was fine with that and tried to dance french jive with a few locals but came off a little worse for wear due to connection and the crowded room. It was nice to just sit down and watch the french version of Ceroc happening though. They were all dancing in slots but the room was so crowded. After a while, someone managed to convince the DJ to play some WCS and we had a few dances. I managed to talk to some guys from Copenhagen, who were exceptional WCS dancers and they were asking about WCS in England. After watching the really good dancers for a while :drool: and having one or two dances, it was too crowded and hardly anyone was dancing WCS so I got bored and decided to go. After walking back to the hotel, the lovely hotel guy served us all french hot chocolate and sweeties :drool:

Saturday morning, I got up early and was at the venue at 8.30am only to hang around waiting for an hour before anything actually happened. I managed to get into level 3 and went to classes during the day with the 3 great couples from the US. There was a lot of ill feeling among the English contingent, especially regarding changing of levels and sitting in on level 4 classes which we were eventually allowed to do and I benefitted so much from :worthy:. The classes were so good and we learnt so much. The shopping centre was 10 minutes walk so we were able to go and eat fab frech food for lunches which were very cheap :D and delicious. Saturday night came and we all went out for dinner (with cocktails :whistle: ) and then headed to the venue for 10.30pm, only to find the electricity had been cut off :eek:. They got the music and lights back on, for us to find that the promised WCS music all night was not in the main room, as it was salsa night and there was WCS in the back room. As you can imagine, all the people from the workshops in all levels + more for freestyle coming into a standard living room size room was the best idea in the world! :mad: To top it off then, the cabaret of the 3 couples happened in the main room and we did not hear about it until the last minute so everyone who wanted to see it had to squeeze their way into the main room already full of salsa people to watch. :whistle: Needless to say, the cabarets were even better in the flesh :clap: :D :drool: :worthy:. To top it off then, the US couples came into the WCS room and freestyled with each other with everyone watching for a bit. We then went back to dancing for a bit. I felt very sub-standard that night but had a few dances and headed back to hot chocolate again :drool:

Sunday was kind of a blur due to concentrating on the lessons so hard and not enough sleep but the lessons were even better. Jordan and Tatiana's class on connection and musicology made my weekend :clap: and I felt that even I had imprved over the weekend.

To sum up the weekend: The teaching was the reason for going over there and I certainly got what I paid for there but whole-heartedly, I can say with full confidence that we are completely spoilt here in England for weekenders and I think that we expected a lot more then we got this weekend - Someone, please please plan a good WCS weekend over here (with Jordan and Tatiana of course :wink: ) and show these French people how to do it right!!

Caro: Thank you for organising a weekend filled with great company and great teachers :worthy: :hug: You did a fab job, tart!! :whistle:

Caro
30th-January-2007, 12:43 AM
After all my struggles in the airport on friday :angry: I finally made it to the venue for the end of the basics class.

As others have said, there were some organisational issues and the freestyle was quite poor (although it got better on saturday after the cabarets)... However I had a great week-end, it's just inspiring to learn directly from the pros... :worthy:
The best bit for me was the cabaret on saturday night, I had seen the routines before on the web but it's so much more impressive when they do it a few meters before your eyes... especially Parker and Jessica's, the speed at which they do all those aerials...:really: :worthy:

It was my first time to that event in Paris and I hope they will take feedback on board and improve it next year. I have to say that Sea Sun and Swing was better run last summer with smaller numbers and a dedicated venue.
WCS is still very much in its infancy in France (very few people have been dancing it for over 2 years) and the weekender/ dance workshops market is radically different in France from what it is in the UK. I would think that most French people have found the week-end good as they simply don't know the standards of what is run in the UK. It's good though that some UK dancers came over, cause it will most certainly (at least I hope) help to raise the bar, for all our benefits.
I have to say having spent the last 4 months away from dancing and leaving in Aberdeen where there's no WCS anyway, my expectations were not that high and I was just happy being there in the first place.
You guys in London are so lucky to have Cat and Paul and others who run regular WCS events. :respect:

I guess one of the learnings for me is probably around the communication side of things, I should probably have helped the organisers to be clearer about what was offered in the week-end and provide the UK people with more realistic expectations as regards to what an event in france looks like (sorry for the timing thing and starting everything late - I swear we're not all like that :blush: ).

I spent today sightseeing in Paris with NZMonkey and RK, it was a really cool day :waycool: ... We got some cool pics too, I'm sure they'll be here soon enough :whistle:

Geordieed
5th-February-2007, 10:06 AM
To help complete the victory parade Brady's winning dance now online. :cheers:

http://www.swingdiego.com/results2007.html