PDA

View Full Version : Dance twins?

MartinHarper
9th-October-2006, 12:28 AM
So, I was dancing tonight with a couple of girls who were on holiday in the UK from the states (can't remember where). One of these women, after a couple dances, said something along the lines of: "It's funny - you dance identically to this guy I know in Ohio - it's like you're twins". I thought that was kinda scary.

It made me wonder whether anyone here has had the experience of dancing with two people who are "dance twins"? Of course they might look very different to each other, but maybe they share the same dancing feel, or have the same repertoire of moves, or use the same type of stylings?

Come to that, are there any pairs of forumites who dance very similarly to each other?

Dynamo
9th-October-2006, 02:45 AM
So, I was dancing tonight with a couple of girls who were on holiday in the UK from the states (can't remember where). One of these women, after a couple dances, said something along the lines of: "It's funny - you dance identically to this guy I know in Ohio - it's like you're twins". I thought that was kinda scary.

It made me wonder whether anyone here has had the experience of dancing with two people who are "dance twins"? Of course they might look very different to each other, but maybe they share the same dancing feel, or have the same repertoire of moves, or use the same type of stylings?

Come to that, are there any pairs of forumites who dance very similarly to each other?

:yeah: :yeah:

Two thoughts Martin..

1st off thread. I went to a range of local venues and had some very strange conversations with some ladies, like they were talking to a different person :what: . Later I discovered a friend, he danced the same venues, looked and dressed similar and some of his humour was similar, we just missed meeting each other for over a year, how strange. His Christian name was even the same!!

2nd I dance with my little sister most months, we have good connection but she does have a certain style about her, which even her boyfriend agrees with me. My Ex-Girlfriend actually danced with similar connection and this certain style :eek: in the early days of me dancing with her. I have not seen this at any where near the same level in others :what: . Closing my eyes could allow me feel like the it was possibly the other there. :eek:

Caro
9th-October-2006, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't say dance twins but it seems (I would need more dances to be more assertive on this one :whistle: ) that RobD and Azande have a similar kind of lead.... at least when they dance with me :grin: !

Both very light (yet precise and sharp), both giving you a lot of space to 'play'... to the point where sometimes I'm not sure if that was me playing or them leading... :blush: a bit as if for a moment the lead was shared...? (when usually it's clearly one or the other - i.e. when the follow highjacks it is usually very recognisable) I don't think I have ever felt that with any other lead.
(in case it wasn't crystal clear... I enjoy it :drool: ).

Guys, do you recognize what I am saying? Girls, ever felt the same when dancing with them?

Blueshoes
9th-October-2006, 08:51 AM
I went to a range of local venues and had some very strange conversations with some ladies, like they were talking to a different person :what: . Later I discovered a friend, he danced the same venues, looked and dressed similar and some of his humour was similar

Funny you should mention that, I also have a dance "double" who goes to the same venues as me, we look similar and dress alike so people are constantly getting us mixed up. If it's mentioned I always say he's the good looking one! Can be useful sometimes, if a dance goes badly the next time I can say "I was watching you dance with Steve recently....."

Unfortunately the likeness isn't that good that I've managed to cop off with his girlfriend.......

SnowWhite
9th-October-2006, 12:03 PM
[quote=Caro;289410]I wouldn't say dance twins but it seems (I would need more dances to be more assertive on this one :whistle: ) that RobD and Azande have a similar kind of lead.... at least when they dance with me :grin: !

But when they laugh???? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Suddenly you remember which is which...

Alice
9th-October-2006, 12:59 PM
Quiet_flame and Jammy...

Quite uncanny:eek:

TheTramp
9th-October-2006, 01:04 PM
Quiet_flame and Jammy...

You think? I don't see it myself....

Gadget
9th-October-2006, 01:04 PM
:what: gawd help anyone who dances like me! :what:

{...hope they can do it better than I can :D}

Alice
9th-October-2006, 01:06 PM
You think? I don't see it myself....
Yli picked it too when we both first met Jammy in June.... :whistle: That was my first impression anyway...

Patrick
9th-October-2006, 01:10 PM
Quiet_flame and Jammy...

I dance with someone who seems like my twin. Think same, do same, say same... She even leads the same.. (no, I'm kidding on that one.) Not quite the same thing, but also uncanny!

Jus back from Breeze, great time but shattered. Goin to bed, catch up on the news later Alice. :nice:

Patrick :flower:

spindr
9th-October-2006, 09:08 PM
I have an evil twin called Pete -- he does more drops than me.

SpinDr

jivecat
9th-October-2006, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't say dance twins but it seems (I would need more dances to be more assertive on this one :whistle: ) that RobD and Azande have a similar kind of lead.... at least when they dance with me :grin: !

Both very light (yet precise and sharp), both giving you a lot of space to 'play'... to the point where sometimes I'm not sure if that was me playing or them leading... :blush: a bit as if for a moment the lead was shared...? (when usually it's clearly one or the other - i.e. when the follow highjacks it is usually very recognisable) I don't think I have ever felt that with any other lead.
(in case it wasn't crystal clear... I enjoy it :drool: ).

Guys, do you recognize what I am saying? Girls, ever felt the same when dancing with them?

Absolutely, when dancing with RobD! You've described it very well. I've never been able to work out how RobD manages to give so much "permission" while continuing to lead but I think it's great! Never knowingly danced with Azande, so can't compare, but it's good to know there's more than one around.

Caro
10th-October-2006, 08:41 AM
Absolutely, when dancing with RobD! You've described it very well. I've never been able to work out how RobD manages to give so much "permission" while continuing to lead but I think it's great! Never knowingly danced with Azande, so can't compare, but it's good to know there's more than one around.

Thanks :flower: , I was starting to feel like it was just me! :what:

And I can only recommend that you should grab Azande for a dance at the soonest opportunity :respect: :wink:

Lory
10th-October-2006, 09:18 AM
It made me wonder whether anyone here has had the experience of dancing with two people who are "dance twins"?

A long time ago, a guy called Robert used to demo with Lindyloo at Ashtons. I always used to grab a couple of dances with him, so knew his style quite well....

anyway, one day I ventured further afield and came across another demo at a different venue miles away (I think it might have been Woking?) and ended up dancing with him.

Suddenly I said, OMG, I know this sounds weird but, if I closed my eyes, I would swear I was dancing with the Demo at my local venue:what: ... a small wry smile came over his face as he asked me.. His name isn't Robert is it? :D Yess! :really: Ah well, he's my brother.:wink: They looked absolutely NOTHING like each other but the body movements were identical! :worthy:

robd
13th-October-2006, 03:15 PM

Guys, do you recognize what I am saying?

Absolutely, when dancing with RobD! You've described it very well. I've never been able to work out how RobD manages to give so much "permission" while continuing to lead but I think it's great!

Thank you very much for being so complimentary ladies.

I am not sure I can explain how I do whatever it is that you enjoy so much, in the same way that I cannot explain many aspects of the way that I dance. This, among many other reasons, is why I have no interest in teaching. I just hope to be able to continue and develop the ability to lead clearly and in the way that suits me whilst giving the follow as much room to play and improvise (or be downright smutty - you know who I am talking to there !) as possible within the framework of that lead. Someone called me a 'lazy' dancer and I wouldn't disagree with that. Given that the vast majority of times I am dancing with people who are more musical and better at improvisation than I it would be crazy not to let them do the work :D

And, Caro, more dances are available any time you want them :clap: if you really do want to confirm your opinions :grin:

Rob

Dynamo
13th-October-2006, 05:51 PM

Suddenly I said, OMG, I know this sounds weird but, if I closed my eyes, I would swear I was dancing with the Demo at my local venue:what: ... a small wry smile came over his face as he asked me.. His name isn't Robert is it? :D Yess! :really: Ah well, he's my brother.:wink: They looked absolutely NOTHING like each other but the body movements were identical! :worthy:

Hi Lory not the same but similar.

I danced with a lady at Brighton Rock bottoms and she was so very light to lead, then over a year later at Woking I danced with another Lady.
At the end of the dance I said, "I dont recognise your face, but we have danced before " She looked puzzled them beamed. "How did you know? :confused: I have cut my hair short, dyed it much lighter" :D
My reply "I didn't :what: , Just your style is so light and you're a pleasure to lead" :D :respect:

Not seen her for a couple of years now :tears:

Jivingdan
13th-October-2006, 08:33 PM
Apparently I have a dancing double who dances in London. I dont think he is friendly and approachable. Ask Minnie M

Just to be a little bit controversial. Most lady ceroc teachers I have danced with dance in a very similar way. The cloning process must be working

robd
14th-October-2006, 12:20 PM
Most lady ceroc teachers I have danced with dance in a very similar way. The cloning process must be working

To immediately disprove your theory, dance with Lisa. It would be worth the drive to Aberdeen (esp. as Little Em is there too :clap: )

TheTramp
14th-October-2006, 12:54 PM
To immediately disprove your theory, dance with Lisa. It would be worth the drive to Aberdeen (esp. as Little Em is there too :clap: )

I completely disagree too - at least, with the ones that I've danced with.

The teachers up here have a quite different style to each other. And the ones I've danced with on the opportunities I've had aren't particularly similar...

Maybe it's just the ones in your area - and if they're learning from one person (particularly if she has a strong style), that might have something more to do with it, than being Ceroc teachers in general.