PDA

View Full Version : Bloos?

bigdjiver
7th-October-2006, 08:07 PM
When a new concept enters the language it is usual for people to use a phrase to describe it, or to extend the meaning of an existing word.

We use the phrase "blues dancing", which is misleading, because it is not necessarily danced to "Blues" music, and is, hopefully, an enjoyable pastime. I would like to see it get a word of its own. Something that be blown up big on a poster. "Bloos night"?
I am at loss for a favourite.
Bloos / Bluse / Blooz / ... ?

Can I suggest we have a moratorium from the spelling police, and people posting on this forum, and dance forums everywhere, be allowed to use whatsoever spelling they prefer, as long as it sounds like "Blues" and let a favourite emerge by evolution?

Gadget
7th-October-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't loke "Bloos" cos it's just "Loos" with a "B" - men's toilets?

How about Bluz?

Northants Girly
7th-October-2006, 10:42 PM
I like Blooz . . . . :D

Juju
7th-October-2006, 11:09 PM
We use the phrase "blues dancing", which is misleading, because it is not necessarily danced to "Blues" music, and is, hopefully, an enjoyable pastime. I would like to see it get a word of its own. Something that be blown up big on a poster. "Bloos night"?
I am at loss for a favourite.
Bloos / Bluse / Blooz / ... ?

Can I suggest we have a moratorium from the spelling police, and people posting on this forum, and dance forums everywhere, be allowed to use whatsoever spelling they prefer, as long as it sounds like "Blues" and let a favourite emerge by evolution?

??! :confused:

My preferred spelling is "Blues". :what:

Northants Girly
7th-October-2006, 11:29 PM

My preferred spelling is "Blues". :what:Ahhhh . . you're no fun :na:

bigdjiver
8th-October-2006, 12:51 AM
Ahhhh . . you're no fun :na:no ooz in those blooz?

MartinHarper
8th-October-2006, 01:02 AM
I think I prefer "slow dance". Mainly because it reminds me of this sketch (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=557968694632963063), but also because it seems a more accurate term.

bigdjiver
8th-October-2006, 01:37 AM
I think I prefer "slow dance". Mainly because it reminds me of this sketch (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=557968694632963063), but also because it seems a more accurate term.I thought that the idea of creating a new word is that it becomes the accurate term.

Beowulf
8th-October-2006, 03:48 AM
get away with "blues" all together.. call it.. "Greens" :wink:

"We green?" "Supergreen!" (jeez That's twice I've used that quote this week ;) )

straycat
8th-October-2006, 12:52 PM

My preferred spelling is "Blues". :what:

:yeah:
If people don't know what you mean by dancing the blues, they sure as anything aren't going to know what you mean by dancing the bloos or bluiz or blowz or whatever you come up with.

'Blues' - or something completely different. (slow dance, mooch, whatever)