PDA

View Full Version : Teachers as role models

Gus
5th-October-2006, 04:39 PM
As part of my avowed intent to cause as much slander and maligining of ALL teachers (happy now ESG? :wink: ) I thought it would be usefull to bring out the positive side of the debate elsewhere about teachers.

It would be GREAT for the Forumites to talk about the positive influences of local instructors, how they have been an inspiration/guide/mentor for the common masses. Its really easy to laud the greats, Viktor, N&N, Dave and Lily etc ... but what about your local instructors? There are over 200 MJ instructors, some trained by the Big Boys like Ceroc, Blitz etc, but also true independants. How about taking some forum time to spread the word about the boys and girls doing their best to teach MJ? :waycool:

Minnie M
5th-October-2006, 04:42 PM
What about demostrators :really: they should be decent dancers with good posture too, it is amazing how many bad demonstrators there are on the teaching scene - have to say mainly with the dependants.

Looking pretty doesn't make a good demonstrator :mad:

El Salsero Gringo
5th-October-2006, 04:43 PM
As part of my avowed intent to cause as much slander and maligining of ALL teachers (happy now ESG? :wink: ) No. Because as you well know, I don't think you do malign all teachers.

Cruella
5th-October-2006, 04:44 PM
Some teachers are going to get really upset when they're not mentioned. :whistle:

Cruella
5th-October-2006, 04:45 PM
What about demostrators :really: they should be decent dancers with good posture too, it is amazing how many bad demonstrators there are on the teaching scene - have to say mainly with the dependants.

:sick:

Gus
5th-October-2006, 04:46 PM
Looking pretty doesn't make a good demonstrator :mad:I'm waiting for the brave soul to say that their local demo isn't pretty, just good :whistle: HOLD ON ... isn't DJ a demo?

Minnie M
5th-October-2006, 04:47 PM

sorry :blush: I got the wrong message with this thread :innocent:

I thought you were making a point and to talk about Teachers being role models - not to list them :whistle: not sure if that is a good idea, you wont get truly honest answers, and as Cruella has said, some might get upset if left off :rolleyes:

whoops........."have to say mainly with the dependants" I did mean INDEPENDANTS

Cruella
5th-October-2006, 05:07 PM
sorry :blush: I got the wrong message with this thread :innocent:

I thought you were making a point and to talk about Teachers being role models - not to list them :whistle: not sure if that is a good idea, you wont get truly honest answers, and as Cruella has said, some might get upset if left off :rolleyes:

whoops........."have to say mainly with the dependants" I did mean INDEPENDANTS

Oh Minnie, leave it as it was, i want to see if i get a mention! :whistle: :rofl:

Jivingdan
5th-October-2006, 05:18 PM
I have to say Cruella I'll give you a mention. When you were demoing with Paul you made a lovely visual couple, very inspiring:respect:

Twirly
5th-October-2006, 05:27 PM
And if we mention all teachers so as not to offend anyone, what is the point in this thread? :confused:

I suspect that sticking to general points about what is good and bad about teaching might be more useful. Then any teachers who do read this can get an idea of what people are looking for. However, since everyone seems to be looking for something different, we’ll probably just drive them nuts… :rolleyes:

straycat
5th-October-2006, 05:35 PM
However, since everyone seems to be looking for something different, we’ll probably just drive them nuts… :rolleyes:

Which, you have to admit, can be very rewarding...:whistle:

David Bailey
6th-October-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm waiting for the brave soul to say that their local demo isn't pretty, just good :whistle: HOLD ON ... isn't DJ a demo?
Fifth subsitute demo only - used as emergency cover when there's literally no-one else. Somewhere barely above "randomly-picked beginner man", and only then it's 50-50 :)

Anyway, getting back to what I think the point of the thread is, ("unsung heroes of MJ"), I'll talk about my local teacher, Carol.

Carol's been dancing for a long time, and she's an excellent dancer with her own unique style - despite this, she somehow got through the CTA process ( :na: ). Very much an "active" follower during freestyle, which always keeps me on my toes.

She teaches for Cerocmetro, at Finchley on Mondays, Shenley on Tuesdays, and a couple of other places I think.

Finchley is, shall we say, a "robust" atmosphere - lots and lots and lots of chatter in classes :rolleyes: . Despite this, Carol manages to keep discipline, humour and professionalism.

On a side note - it's easy to mock Ceroc teachers (hell, I do it all the time), but until you've stood up there with the microphone and kept a steady stream of instructions going, you don't actually appreciate how difficult it is. It's much easier to teach a small class in the round, I think.

Anyway, the nightly attendance numbers at Finchley, in the 2 years or so she's been there, have gone from pitiful (50-80, I guess) to packed (140-170 I think), so she must be doing something right. She's also a good salsa dancer and teacher, IMO.

Next?

El Salsero Gringo
6th-October-2006, 10:12 AM
As a n00b, the teacher I always looked up to was Mick Wenger. I've not seen him much recently but my jaw used to drop in amazement at the way he would dance (in a good way, that is!). His classes at Finchley (where Carol now teaches) were to me, supberb. Difficult, technical, but most rewarding. Big up that man.

Caro
6th-October-2006, 10:25 AM
I remember from my very first months of Ceroc somebody who really helped me to improve my dancing.
He was the demo (not teaching) and I always made a point to catch him for a dance (obviously, very popular, so he was in very high demand all the time). A few times he offered me feedback (I think I asked for it the first time), in a very nice and thoughful way. He would tell me just ONE thing, that thing I most needed to work on at the time to improve and make one step further in my dancing journey. His advise has always worked for me, that was just spot on everytime (eventhough I did not always realise it at the time).
So thank you :flower: Bill-Better-Than-Chocolate - you really are great. :hug:

Daisy Chain
6th-October-2006, 12:00 PM

:yeah: Round here we seem to be blessed with demos who are pretty young things with sulky or bored witless expressions (praps they think this makes them look cool?) They can barely be bothered to step through the moves - it all looks such an effort.

On the all too rare occasion when we have an older demonstrator (ie 30+), they invariably look interested, smile and inject some style. They even appear to be enjoying themselves.

I know which type inspires me.

Daisy

(A Critical Little Flower)

David Bailey
6th-October-2006, 02:29 PM
I've resurrected the "What makes a good demo" (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5339&page=4)thread, so it's probably best to talk about demos there.

Come on, someone - teachers?

Gus
6th-October-2006, 04:26 PM
Thinking back a few instructors come to mind;

Boy Robin - Nottingham c1998/9 Robin managed to put together the most challenging yet enjoyable classes I think I've ever attended. I wish he was still doing it now so I could watch and understand exactly how he acheived that. To be fair, his intermediate lesson were nearer advanced than inetrmediate, but something about his teaching style made you stay with it.

Phil and Micheala - Peterborough c1996/7 I've never thought of Phil as a great technical or challenging teacher but there was something about his dry sense of humour that made his lessons a joy. Partnered with Mich given her great style tips it was a great teaching combo that finally convinced me Ceroc was a great thing.

Sue Freeman - Tadcaster Porbably the finest teacher I've come across. A REAL dance teacher who also teaches MJ. Seen her teach really complex routines but manages to explain it so well that even standard level punters get it :)

Minnie M
6th-October-2006, 06:53 PM
I've resurrected the "What makes a good demo" (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5339&page=4)thread, so it's probably best to talk about demos there.

Come on, someone - teachers?

Sorry if I have led some forumites off thread - I mentioned demonstrators as they can be role models too, especially the female ones. It is surprising how many dancers copy the style etc., of the couple on stage - both the teach and the demonstrator ............ however, AFAICS that is not the theme of this thread :innocent:

Gadget
6th-October-2006, 11:46 PM
Teacher who has had most influence over me is probaly Lorna: About 90% of my ceroc classes must have been with her - (and about half of them with BTC Bill demoing) Most of my "mark of a good teacher" post* came from her influence. And a lot of self-analasis and development was kick started by her when "Improving my Dancing (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3116)"

Teacher who has inspired me, probably Marc: at that time in my dancing I had not seen anyone dance like that. :worthy:

A mention should also go to David B for putting me on the "leading is path to enlightenment" road. And Franck for the "connection is the path to enlightenment" road.

I havn't ben taught by anyone else for long enough for them to shape my dancing.. yet :wink:

{*see my syg}