PDA

View Full Version : Masculinity ?

Groovemeister
3rd-October-2006, 02:59 PM
Another question mainly for men.

With different types of dance I have invariably been taught by a women do you think that sometimes this can affect the way that you dance.

Do you think that having a male teacher actually effects the way you learn a move ?

When your looking at a teacher on a stage if your looking at the way a women is dancing do you think the male lead style comes across ?

TheTramp
3rd-October-2006, 03:03 PM

With different types of dance I have invariably been taught by a women do you think that sometimes this can affect the way that you dance.

Do you think that having a male teacher actually effects the way you learn a move ?

When your looking at a teacher on a stage if your looking at the way a women is dancing do you think the male lead style comes across ?

Depends on who it is, how strong a lead they are, and how much the female teacher lets them!!

Groovemeister
3rd-October-2006, 03:09 PM
Depends on who it is, how strong a lead they are, and how much the female teacher lets them!!

Thats my point. If I am watching the female part not the male surely this has got to have an effect on the way the move is carried out by the man

TheTramp
3rd-October-2006, 03:15 PM
Why would you be watching the female part? Unless you were trying to learn that? You might be looking at the teacher part of the time when she's talking, as that's what we're conditioned to do, but when they are demonstrating, surely you're looking at the male demo, since that's the bit you're trying to learn....

Groovemeister
3rd-October-2006, 03:20 PM
Why would you be watching the female part? Unless you were trying to learn that? You might be looking at the teacher part of the time when she's talking, as that's what we're conditioned to do, but when they are demonstrating, surely you're looking at the male demo, since that's the bit you're trying to learn....

I know you can learn the move from watching the male demo but what about the style pointers ?

TheTramp
3rd-October-2006, 03:25 PM
I know you can learn the move from watching the male demo but what about the style pointers ?

Watch the demo and try to learn. Hopefully the teacher will be giving them to leads as well as to the followers (I try to give them to followers when I'm teaching - as much as I can).

And also watch the people doing freestyle that you like, and try to pick up some style tips from them....

Groovemeister
3rd-October-2006, 03:33 PM
I am going to be a bit pedantic here and say OK I can do that but :

We are about to see another series of strictly on TV there will be a number of very masculine men on that show which have not danced previously. They will try to interprut the tuition given to them by there female partner which will show them how to dance in a feminin and possibly flambouant manner. The men will come out on TV looking very unconffident and feeling for want of a better word "gay"

If there was a male teacher teaching them do you think they would struggle coming to terms with the way they perceive they look and proably dance better ?

straycat
3rd-October-2006, 03:44 PM
I am going to be a bit pedantic here

Then you're in great company :clap:

We are about to see another series of strictly on TV there will be a number of very masculine men on that show which have not danced previously.

Like Colin Jackson and Julian Cleary? :devil:

They will try to interprut the tuition given to them by there female partner which will show them how to dance in a feminin and possibly flambouant manner.
The men will come out on TV looking very unconffident and feeling for want of a better word "gay"

Is that why Zoe Ball always looks so butch these days? And Darren Gough has definitely turned into a bit of a mincer...

If there was a male teacher teaching them do you think they would struggle coming to terms with the way they perceive they look and proably dance better ?
To be serious for a moment... no. I don't think the (male) contestants are being taught to dance in a feminine fashion at all. It's just a perception thang...

Groovemeister
3rd-October-2006, 03:55 PM
To be serious for a moment... no. I don't think the (male) contestants are being taught to dance in a feminine fashion at all. It's just a perception thang...

Thats my point firstly that men don't get to learn style points correctly if taught be a female teacher and secondly people's perception of the way they dance is important.

So a man being taught by a women ? I suppose it's for the indivdual to decide but it must have an effect mustn't it ?

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 04:13 PM

Speaking from experience being a male demo for a female teacher feels odd to say the least. For the actual demo of the moves I tend to lead (if she's given me enough time to learn the moves that is!) but when it comes to the actual teaching a lot of the time she's leading. This can cause confusion and sometimes I switch off thinking she's leading when she's expecting me to. :confused:

As far as style points for men go if there's anything I think is important I'll tell her and she usually mentions it when going through the move. I always try to dance with the style switched on so if anyone's sufficiently au fait with the move they can pick up style points by watching me.

TheTramp
3rd-October-2006, 04:15 PM
Speaking from experience being a male demo for a female teacher feels odd to say the least.

Oh. I quite agree. That's why I only do it if there's no-one else around who can.

Probably combined with the fact that when I'm on stage, I usually expect to be in charge... :flower:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 05:04 PM
Probably combined with the fact that when I'm on stage, I usually expect to be in charge... :flower:

The funniest one was when a female teacher was demoing a drop and showing how the ladies should take their own weight - she explained that if I let go she would stay exactly where she was. You can't resist that now can you? Well, I did and she didn't! :rofl:

I wasn't asked again for a bit........ :sad:

Donna
3rd-October-2006, 05:24 PM
The funniest one was when a female teacher was demoing a drop and showing how the ladies should take their own weight - she explained that if I let go she would stay exactly where she was. You can't resist that now can you? Well, I did and she didn't! :rofl:

I wasn't asked again for a bit........ :sad:

You eeeeeeevil man! :devil:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 05:27 PM
You eeeeeeevil man! :devil:

Funny you should mention that, when my daughter straightened my hair for me recently (against my best judgement I should add) I looked suspiciously like a well known dictator minus the moustache...........

Dynamo
3rd-October-2006, 05:46 PM
Certainly I agree the perspective will be biased towards the teacher, but a good demo and teacher will transmit both viewpoints through the teacher or "co-teacher"
Much respect to BS and Trampy on this one :respect:

For me, a class for moves will teach me just that, though I may pick up the leads style points too.

For my styling I have attended mens styling and musicallity classes, where i have learnt skills as my own style slowly evolves. Watching many a good dancer :worthy: has taught me a style point which i may adopt or adapt to suit me. :grin:

bigdjiver
3rd-October-2006, 05:46 PM

When your looking at a teacher on a stage if your looking at the way a women is dancing do you think the male lead style comes across ?Michaela, for one, makes a great point of pointing out the mans style points.

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 05:52 PM
For my styling I have attended mens styling and musicallity classes, where i have learnt skills as my own style slowly evolves. Watching many a good dancer :worthy: has taught me a style point which i may adopt or adapt to suit me. :grin:

You've hit the nail right on the head. Everyone's different, for instance if Victor did a move a certain way he'd look great but if I did it exactly the same I'd just look stupid.

You can pick up different things you like the look of from different people and blend them but at the end of the day it's YOUR style. Mine's still evolving after nearly five years.

Dynamo
3rd-October-2006, 06:01 PM
Michaela, for one, makes a great point of pointing out the mans style points.

:yeah:

For me the great teaching partnerships are both interesting to listen too, plus they balance the perspective.
I'm thinking;

Nigel and Nina
Howard and Nicola
Peter and Alina (and now with Evelyn)
Nelson and Karen
Marc and Rachel
oh i give up, far too many to mention
so at the risk of excluding those i respect i stop here :worthy:

David Bailey
3rd-October-2006, 07:58 PM

In salsa, I've mainly been taught by men, with the a few honourable exceptions (such as Xihomara :worthy: ).

In AT, I've been taught by men and women - I haven't noticed much difference in terms of gender, but the differences are so pronounced between different teachers anyway that I'm not sure if I could distinguish any gender bias.

In Ceroc, it's interesting how few solo "star" female teachers there are - there are lots and lots of excellent female Ceroc teachers, but they don't seem to be quite so headline-grabbing as the males.

And yes, in all disciplines, it's much much much better to have a couple teaching rather than a teacher + demo.

killingtime
4th-October-2006, 11:44 AM
Why would you be watching the female part?

Because Azande isn't as pleasing on the eye :innocent: :really: :devil:.

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 11:52 AM

You make a good point there! :whistle:

azande
4th-October-2006, 12:13 PM
It didn't look like that when you were leading me last night...

killingtime
4th-October-2006, 12:16 PM
It didn't look like that when you were leading me last night...

Damn, caught.

Actually that was probably my best dance of the evening :cheers:.

azande
4th-October-2006, 12:24 PM
Well thank you sir!

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 12:44 PM
Damn, caught.

Actually that was probably my best dance of the evening :cheers:.

He's very good, isn't he!! :respect: