PDA

View Full Version : Popular Forum

Dreadful Scathe
7th-May-2003, 04:41 PM
Its 4.30pm 7th May 2003, the forum in its current form is nearly a year and a half old. There are 431 registered users of the forum, which is nice. Only a small percentage actually post anything sensible :D and theres quite a few that have registered and posted nothing so far.

Having just checked the stats at the bottom of the page though...
There are currently 11 members and 7 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 30 on 22nd-October-2002 at 03:07 PM.
Dreadful Scathe, Grant, Lorna, TheTramp

So only 4 people out of 11 members online just now are secure in their sexuality to admit their names* (so maybe sexuality isnt the reason - im only speculating :) ) and those 7 guests are either people who cant be bothered to login or who haven't registered. Admit it if it was you :).

Also not enough people have been excited enough to break the '30 online at one time record' set after the Scottish Champs in October.

all of the above is true...

and you know why?...COS NO ONE POSTED ANY PICTURES OF THE CEROC CHAMPS IN LONDON ...like i asked you to :)

:confused: :confused:

* yes this IS my real name :)

TheTramp
7th-May-2003, 04:48 PM
Have to say, that I think it's a real shame that we always have so many guests on - who I'm assuming are mostly people that haven't registered (since most people will have cookies enabled and just log straight in).

Also, I think it's a shame that more people who come on and register don't post anything. Is that because some people (:sorry) post too much? Or do those people really have nothing to say? I always felt that the more active a site was, the more chance that people would post there, which is why I post (and also cos I just like the sound of my own typing :D). If no-one is posting, then surely people who come along won't bother either. Is this wrong??

Steve

Chicklet
7th-May-2003, 05:04 PM
I know it probably feels like a hell of a lot longer for most of the rest of you but I've only been on here for two months and three days and I was soooooooo nervous at first and scared that I would get laughed off back to the henhouse but everybody was actually very welcoming and encouraging.

In particular I was nervous about asking things that I thought had probably been asked and discussed to death and I would therefore be ignored while the regulars all thought "what a numptie" "everybody knows that".

But I soon discovered that a lot of the gang love nothing better :D than a good old chinwag about old favourite subjects so if there's anyone out there not posting cos they think their question is too obvious - don't hold back!!!

And if you do happen to misjudge and put a thread in the "wrong" section or anything like that (hey I put my water one in dance - why?????) some nice body will probably move it somewhere more appropriate and life will go on ...so this is nothing to worry about either!!

Hope this encourages anyone new holding back for either of these reasons

:hug: C

Sal
7th-May-2003, 05:05 PM
I think it may be a confidence thing - some people may think that they have nothing interesting to add to the discussions.

Then there are others like me, who do not have any useful input!

Dreadful Scathe
7th-May-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
If no-one is posting, then surely people who come along won't bother either. Is this wrong??

No, that sounds about right. Although compared to a lot of other forums maybe we are far too civilized :) Most posts come in answer to other posts so it stands to reason that a small minority will end up posting the bulk of the posts. It probably stands to reason anyway. :)

I think we miss Gus to be honest, theres no controversy anymore :)

TheTramp
7th-May-2003, 05:07 PM
Sal posted:
Then there are others like me, who do not have any useful input!Of course you do Mrs. Sal..... So.... POST MORE :D

Oh, and it's nice to have you back. How was the honeymoon? General details will be fine, I'm too young for specifics :D

Steve

TheTramp
7th-May-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I think we miss Gus to be honest Wash your mouth out!!! :D

(Yeah, it has been quiet without him around. Get yourself back on here Gus...)

Steve

Sal
7th-May-2003, 05:13 PM
Of course you do Mrs. Sal..... So.... POST MORE :D

Oh, and it's nice to have you back. How was the honeymoon? General details will be fine, I'm too young for specifics :D

Steve

The wedding and honeymoon were wonderful! As you can tell by the fact that I am surfing the forum, I am so pleased to be back at work!

By the way, It's Mrs Dennison now! Definately an improvement on Miss Simpson.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-May-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Sal
By the way, It's Mrs Dennison now! Definately an improvement on Miss Simpson.

Aha so now you can wear the SD badge with pride and hunt criminals across the galaxy. (prize for anyone who knows what the hell im on about :) )

TheTramp
7th-May-2003, 05:25 PM
Aha so now you can wear the SD badge with pride and hunt criminals across the galaxy. (prize for anyone who knows what the hell im on about :) ) So then DS. When was the last time anyone knew what the hell you were on about?? :D

Steve

SwingSwingSwing
7th-May-2003, 05:29 PM
It's Strontium Dog in particular (probablt) Johnny Alpha, bountyhunter.

SwingSwingSwing

(who only stopped buying 2000AD last year)

Aha so now you can wear the SD badge with pride and hunt criminals across the galaxy. (prize for anyone who knows what the hell im on about :) )

Chicklet
7th-May-2003, 05:39 PM
Looking thru the list of top posters to see who's drifted away recently...

I think losing Gus is my fault, he seemed to leave about 10 mins after I got on the bus.

Which is a shame because I enjoyed reading him for the few days before I first posted....and I'm not quite as dizzy as he probably thought I was and there might have been some interesting exchanges.

FC seems to have been quite prolific for a while but has much better things to get her teeth into these days so that's perfectly understandable.

Bill and I have exactly the same number of posts (before this one...now didn't I read in FAQs that if that happens you get to run away with the person to dance heaven for ever and ever?):waycool:

The rest of the top page are all still popping in at least from time to time apart from DV???? Are you still out there??

And finally, been BURSTING to say this and just can't hold back any longer - has anybody else noticed a new (as yet) non-poster with a REALLY COOL NAME just joined????:eek:

Cx

TheTramp
7th-May-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
And finally, been BURSTING to say this and just can't hold back any longer - has anybody else noticed a new (as yet) non-poster with a REALLY COOL NAME just joined????:eek: Yes.

And it's very scary.

TWO Chickie's..... :na:

Steve

Chicklet
7th-May-2003, 05:44 PM
Yes.

And it's very scary.

TWO Chickie's..... :na:

Steve

but it's a Y so it might be a boy Chicky?????

personally I think it's CJ up to no good.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-May-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by SwingSwingSwing

SwingSwingSwing

see, someone knows what Im on about :)

Did I ever tell you my friends Uncle is Alan Grant of 2000ad fame.

Strotium Dog the film - now THAT would be worth going to see :)

SwingSwingSwing
8th-May-2003, 09:15 AM
see, someone knows what Im on about :)

Did I ever tell you my friends Uncle is Alan Grant of 2000ad fame.

Strotium Dog the film - now THAT would be worth going to see :)

Strontium Dog would have the potential of being a great film. But then again so did Judge Dredd and look at the mess they made of that.

SwingSwingSwing

Dance Demon
8th-May-2003, 09:41 AM

FC seems to have been quite prolific for a while but has much better things to get her teeth into these days so that's perfectly understandable.

Cx

Spoke to FC at the last Marcos party night, and apparently she's having problems with her PC, that's why she's been quiet......................(amongst other things:wink: )

Gus still logs on from time to time, but alas no controversial posts from him..:tears:

Dance Demon
8th-May-2003, 10:02 AM
Had a great night, and some fab dances in Glasgow last night.......and what a lot of forum people were there too.....
wendy, Chickie, Graham, Dr F., Dreadful Scathe, CJ, Franck, Brady,
and probably some more that I've forgotten..:waycool: :D

Chicklet
8th-May-2003, 10:15 AM
Janet, don't forget Janet!!!!

CJ
8th-May-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Sal
I think it may be a confidence thing - some people may think that they have nothing interesting to add to the discussions.

sausages

CJ
8th-May-2003, 12:28 PM
but it's a Y so it might be a boy Chicky?????

personally I think it's CJ up to no good.

CHICKIE DD

I can't believe you said that.:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :innocent:

Moi? Me? angel-features personified??????

I'm going to have to try to live up to this one...:devil:

Sal
8th-May-2003, 01:23 PM

SwingSwingSwing

Originally posted by the smurf

see, someone knows what Im on about

Too geeky for words, you pair. Although you would probably get on well with my husband who is a sci-fi geek too!

DavidY
10th-May-2003, 01:44 PM
and those 7 guests are either people who cant be bothered to login or who haven't registered. Admit it if it was you :).

OK I admit it - it might have been me!!

I do occasionally look at the forum when not logged in because as someone (?Gadget?) pointed out, if you log in and don't have time to look through all your new posts in that session, the 'View New Posts' function is reset so you can't go back in later and easily see what happened since you last had a proper look through them.

Also when you're not logged in there's a function called something like 'View Today's Active Threads' (I'm guessing this shows any new posts in the last 24 hours ) which is sometimes more useful than the View New Posts button you get when you are logged in.

David

Bill
11th-May-2003, 06:14 PM

Bill and I have exactly the same number of posts (before this one...now didn't I read in FAQs that if that happens you get to run away with the person to dance heaven for ever and ever?):waycool:

Cx

You're about 20 ahead now :eek: . so does that mean we don't meet up in dance heaven?????

I think some of the regulars drifted away for a while. I know I didn't post very much for quite a while partly because i was busy and had other things to do but also because like many things in life if you miss a while it's more of a thought to go back. Almost like starting again which is perhaps what puts new people off.

When you come on to the forum it can be almost scary as there are now so many threads, where do you start ? There are often a number of conversations between people - almost like a personal discussion and it can feel impolite to intrude. :sick: :rolleyes:

There are times I've checked a few threads but not posted because it takes so long to check that I don't have any time left to add anything.

I could stay on now but I've been in the garden most of the day and now have some work to do :sad: but I'll be back soon........ :D

Grant
12th-May-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Bill
There are often a number of conversations between people - almost like a personal discussion and it can feel impolite to intrude.

There are times I've checked a few threads but not posted because it takes so long to check that I don't have any time left to add anything.

I totally agree with you here Bill. These are probably the main reasons I don't post more often and I suspect it is the same for a lot of other people.
And while we have real comedians like Chicklet, Wendy, Graham and Dreadful himself (loved that reply to HD on the Desperately seeking thread) I prefer to stand back and let them get on with it.

:cheers:
Grant

Dance Demon
12th-May-2003, 04:46 PM
I did have a moan about this a wee while back, but if the quirky, chatty stuff is kept to the chit chat section, I don't really have a problem with it:what: ..in fact I have been known to join in:D
It's when the more serious & meaningful discussions start getting spammed that people start getting p****d off:innocent:

PeterL
12th-May-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
I did have a moan about this a wee while back, but if the quirky, chatty stuff is kept to the chit chat section, I don't really have a problem with it:what: ..in fact I have been known to join in:D
It's when the more serious & meaningful discussions start getting spammed that people start getting p****d off:innocent:

I have to agree totally with this.

quality not quantity helps make a good forum.:innocent:

Gadget
13th-May-2003, 08:52 AM
Agree with all of the above; while I do enjoy the humour and have been known to de-rail the odd thread myself {:rolleyes:}, if you look at a thread titled 'Relevant postings' with 56 entries, you may find only 6 of them are actually relevant! {:eek:}
I wonder if there is any way an author could flag a post {or edit it after posting} as 'chit-chat' in a thread, and have an option to show the thread with these posts minimised? But would we be able to self-police ourselves, or would apathy rule?

Dance Demon
13th-May-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
But would we be able to self-police ourselves, or would apathy rule?

Who cares about apathy? :rolleyes: :sorry

CJ
13th-May-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Who cares about apathy? :rolleyes: :sorry

It's not worth the effort, is it?

Gus
14th-May-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Sal
Too geeky for words, you pair. Although you would probably get on well with my husband who is a sci-fi geek too!

OY! Who r u calling a geek. The grim realities of 2000AD and Judge Dredd merely serve as a comment on modern society... (believe that you'll believe anything).

{Still recieving my weekly fix of 2000AD}

Dreadful Scathe
20th-May-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Gus
OY! Who r u calling a geek. The grim realities of 2000AD and Judge Dredd merely serve as a comment on modern society.

course it does - athropological theory wrapped up in pretty pictures - thats the Mega City for you.

Shame about the travesty of a film they released :(

Dreadful Scathe
25th-June-2003, 10:54 AM

and this is him right here - possible costume idea for musselburgh :)

Grant
25th-June-2003, 02:02 PM
possible costume idea for musselburgh :)
so you've given up on wearing a dress then?:wink:

Grant

Sal
25th-June-2003, 02:03 PM
Hmmm, might just stick to the cat suit, I am not sure yellow body armour would suit me!

Dreadful Scathe
25th-June-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Sal
Hmmm, might just stick to the cat suit, I am not sure yellow body armour would suit me!

We can be the judge of that. :D (you could tie in the bounty hunter theme with an aggressive hair bun :) )

grant: not giving up on the idea, I just havent seen anything suitable :)

Grant
25th-June-2003, 03:29 PM
not giving up on the idea, I just havent seen anything suitable :)
shame... is it finding something to match the eyes or to match the thigh's which is causing you problems?:wink:

Grant

Gus
26th-June-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Grant
shame... is it finding something to match the eyes or to match the thigh's which is causing you problems?:wink:

Grant

Maybe DS is having trouble getting his hands on a large enough weapon? :sorry

Grant
26th-June-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Maybe DS is having trouble getting his hands on a large enough weapon? :sorry
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
i think the ball is in your court ds

Grant