PDA

View Full Version : Describing the essence of a move

jiveoholic
24th-September-2006, 11:15 AM
I coudn't find "nerds corner" so intermediates will have to do....!

There was a thead a while ago about describing moves. This got me thinking and acting.

Jiveoholics, like other move sites, has long tedious move descriptions and I wanted a limited consistent language that people would relate to that could be used to "headline" the sequence of moves and detail just the "essence" of each move. I realise that I am putting my head in the jaws of the community, but it is described in grotesque detail at http://www.jiveoholic.org.uk/constituents/constituents.asp. Additionally, over 400 moves have been described this way but you need to turn this feature on in the move database mode by checking a box. The language has taken some time to develop and some compromises have had to be taken that deviate away from common usage. There is no search facility that uses this at present - that may come if there is a demand.

Comments and suggestions for improvement would be most welcome.

MartinHarper
24th-September-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd say "wurlitzer" rather than "spin(a)" and "spin" rather than "spin(c)". Sounds less geeky.

jiveoholic
24th-September-2006, 12:33 PM
I'd say "wurlitzer" rather than "spin(a)" and "spin" rather than "spin(c)". Sounds less geeky.
Hi Martin,...its funny...a while ago I made the definite decision not to do as you suggest but due to various other changes since then, I am in agreement with you. I only need to educate people that spin is only clockwise in this context. I shall leave it a while to collect all similar good ideas. Thanks.