PDA

View Full Version : The Water Thing

Chicklet
6th-May-2003, 09:39 AM
" We the undersigned believe that drinking water should be available free of charge throughout the day to all event ticket holders.

We respectfully request that Ceroq HQ (and / or all other organising body) ensures that this is a condition of hire in ALL future venue contracts"

Discuss???

or append blank post and we could make it a petition?

DavidY
6th-May-2003, 10:01 AM
I agree absolutely that water should be free (especially as you were searched & made to feel like you were smuggling drugs if you dared to have an old plastic bottle containing tapwater on you).

However at least one bar was giving out free tapwater all day, while some of the others apparently wouldn't, so there was some inconsistency there. I don't understand why this should be so... :confused:

David

TheTramp
6th-May-2003, 10:13 AM
Have to say, when I realised that the bars (all the ones I went to did at least) were giving out free water, it made the decision to search everyone as they went in even more ridiculous....

Steve

Dave Hancock
6th-May-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Have to say, when I realised that the bars (all the ones I went to did at least) were giving out free water, it made the decision to search everyone as they went in even more ridiculous....

For once I agree with Steve, I never had to pay for water, but it makes the confiscation of it as went in all the more peculiar

Graham
6th-May-2003, 11:17 AM
I agree. The bar next to where I was standing only started serving tap water once they had run out of bottled water. Early in the day I queued behind someone who was trying to get tap water and the bar staff point blank refused to understand/acknowledge that this was a possibility until after a couple of minutes she gave in and bought bottled water. It was a surprise to me to hear that one of the other bars had been dispensing tap water from the start. I did buy a couple of alcoholic drinks later on but most of the day drank soft drinks and bottled water, and spent more that the cost of my entry ticket on this. There were many other things I didn't like about the venue but this has to be the top of the hate-list, as I felt I was being completely ripped off.

As a side-note I was at the party at Chiswick on Saturday and they didn't have water at the start. The bar staff went out and bought some bottles, but quickly ran out. What's the problem in London - don't people drink water? Or are the organisers in cahoots with the bar operators?? :reallymad Or do the organisers just not care about the wellbeing of the customers?

Neither of these events were especially cheap to attend in the first place, so when you have to pay through the nose to replace your fluids it's extremely annoying.

Old Chinese proverb: No water, no go back.

TheTramp
6th-May-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
For once I agree with Steve.....I wouldn't go around letting on to things like that Dave. People will think that you're strange......

Steve

Dave Hancock
6th-May-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I wouldn't go around letting on to things like that Dave. People will think that you're strange......

Steve

..r, stranger Steve and what happened to my dance - knee still buggered???

Are you going for title of "gammie leg":D

TheTramp
6th-May-2003, 11:36 AM
I think I win the title of 'gammie leg' without any shadow of a doubt - not just for Sundays performance either.

At some point, I'm going to seriously have to consider the '3 months rest' that my physio tells me I need.

Hardly danced with anyone at all on Sunday. Sorry Dave. I promise to make it up to you when I get up to Scotland!

Steve

Heather
6th-May-2003, 06:33 PM
I reckon, Graham that you were probably using the bar that was nearest to the Scottish crowd, if so, I got Tap water from the bar staff there before they ran out of bottled water, just because I asked for it!!! I had already bought 3 bottles at £1.50 for 500ml, and was reluctant to buy another, so when the barman produced a bottle, I asked if he had tapwater, when he replied that he did , I said I would have that then!! There was no argument or reluctance on his part, and I continued to drink tap water for the remainder of the evening.
I agree that the bag searching thing was totally OTT, I thought they were searching bags for security reasons. I couldn't believe it when they started confiscating food and drinks!!!
Piece of nonsense if you ask me!!

:kiss:
Heather,
:hug: XX

Emma
6th-May-2003, 06:52 PM
They had given up searching by the time they got to us, too...just asked if we had food or drink.

I understand and support the need for bag searches for security purposes, but clearly they needed more staff.

I thought £1.50 for 500ml of water was criminal. Must admit I didn't ask for tapwater though until I found out it was being served.

Dan Hudson
6th-May-2003, 08:39 PM
Well... I pulled the "my wife is pregnant and I suggest you give me a glass of tap water now" trick.. And it worked:devil: :D

He looked a tad upset when I gulped it in one!!:waycool:

I agree with you all, the soft drinks/water were far too expensive although I found the lager somewhat reasonable.. Are they trying to make people get drunk and fall over?:what:

I am sure there must be a law that insists you must make tap water freely available if you open the building to the public?? Not sure.. Any legal beagles care to clarify?

As for the bag searches, those of us who were fortunate enough to get in early and dodge the q's also managed to dodge the bag search, obviously, I wasn't involved :innocent:

Maybe we should make a list of the things we all think need improving and then submit it to Dave at HQ, I am sure a bit of constructive criticism will be welcomed.

I am still dehydrated... now was it the lager or lack of free water??

:cheers: :cheers:

Will
8th-May-2003, 12:44 PM
This water thing is really annoying

Venues that either refuse to give tap water, or charge for it are being very greedy and irresponsible. I believe that it is illegal to charge people for tap water, but that is what happens at some venues I've been too. I'm not blaming Ceroc, its the owners of the venues who are charging and then profiting from it. Isn't it about time someone reported these venues to the authorities?

Ashtons are a prime example of this.

Franck
8th-May-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Will
This water thing is really annoying

I'm not blaming Ceroc, its the owners of the venues who are charging and then profiting from it. Maybe I should be giving a Ceroc franchisee's perspective. I totally agree with the idea that water should be available free of charge on principle, however, Ceroc and most dance classes are very unique in the sense that people don't 'drink' on a night out, ie they only want soft drinks and water, which means that the bar takings are literally insignificant. This is a problem because most clubs and large venues rely on bar takings for profit or because they are owned by large breweries and have to meet targets on beer / spirit sales...

The idea that we should insist on free water, very cheap drinks is great in theory, but in practise would simply ensure that we would be unable to get the best venues as their owners would simply not be interested... I forget how many times I have heard the line: "Bar takings are not worth opening up, I would rather watch Coronation Street" from Venue owners / managers...

Franck.

DianaS
11th-July-2004, 03:25 PM
Maybe I should be giving a Ceroc franchisee's perspective. I totally agree with the idea that water should be available free of charge on principle, however, Ceroc and most dance classes are very unique in the sense that people don't 'drink' on a night out, ie they only want soft drinks and water, which means that the bar takings are literally insignificant. This is a problem because most clubs and large venues rely on bar takings for profit or because they are owned by large breweries and have to meet targets on beer / spirit sales...

The idea that we should insist on free water, very cheap drinks is great in theory, but in practise would simply ensure that we would be unable to get the best venues as their owners would simply not be interested... I forget how many times I have heard the line: "Bar takings are not worth opening up, I would rather watch Coronation Street" from Venue owners / managers...

Franck.

Hi I had an excellent night at Daventry last night I think that there were around 700 odd dancers in a leisure centre's sports hall ( I may have this figure wrong though!) and there was an entertaining caberat. It was the best night I've had in ages! and despite the dirty dancing theme I experienced no perving (and I have been a perv magnet in the past!)

Only one query though, the water was £1 a bottle, and considering the door tickets were £10 and the workshops during the day were in addition to this, they MUST have made enough to cover the cost of 10 plastic jugs and one person to top them up. Even if we had had to buy our first bottle and refill it. IF(?) my figures are at all accurate, the sale of the first bottle would have raised £700 and probably £350 of that would be profit.

Dancers can't survive on water alone. The body doesn't metabolise it efficiently so we would effectively pee it out without absorbing it. We have to take in glucose and salt and ( I take in salt with me and add a pinch to a pint of squash) and I will often also have an alocholic drink of two in the course of a long evening. So even if water was free, or sold at 40p per pint you could count on me still spending at the bar.

I would like to hear from the Daventry organisers on this, as I'm sure there are valid reasons for the lack of facilities. However when the bar closed at 1 the announced that water would be served elsewhere. It does leave me wondering...

bigdjiver
11th-July-2004, 04:26 PM
Tap water was available in the main hall at 30p a pint. There was also tea and coffee available there, as well as a selection of snacks.
I made it about 420 dancers when I did my rough count, but there were dancers coming in after that.
Super night. I have a suspicion this will become a calendar highlight.

Zebra Woman
11th-July-2004, 04:44 PM
Around a year ago the Daventry organisers had jugs of water to serve yourself at the bar, free of charge. What's happened? :tears:

I think we should have free or at least extremely cheap water, but I know that the venue managers call the shots. My local salsa class has been moved on twice because the bar takings weren't as high as they would be on a non salsa night. :sad:

It is also very galling when a pint of lager looks like better value than a soft drink. I'm dancing and then driving so I don't want to drink at all. :angry:

DianaS
11th-July-2004, 05:05 PM
Tap water was available in the main hall at 30p a pint. There was also tea and coffee available there, as well as a selection of snacks.
I made it about 420 dancers when I did my rough count, but there were dancers coming in after that.
Super night. I have a suspicion this will become a calendar highlight.

Hi BJ
aahh that's really reassuring! I was looking in the dance room (ie the sports hall) for water and I only found the bar where bottles were being sold.

Can you let me know where the tap water is 'cas I didn't spot a main hall. Is that where people were dancing or somewhere else? and was it there all night (in which case I'm kicking myself for not finding it) or just after 1?

It was a good night. Are you a guy or a girl, and did we dance I wonder...
I'll catch you there for a dance next time :cheers:

bigdjiver
11th-July-2004, 10:01 PM
It is also very galling when a pint of lager looks like better value than a soft drink. I'm dancing and then driving so I don't want to drink at all. :angry::yeah: Non Daventry related comment: I think it is totally unreasonable for a venue to be making more profit from non-alcoholic drinks than from alcoholic ones, especially where fitness is a motivation for attending.
P.S. The Daventry management do not allow smoking it the building as it is a fitness centre.

bigdjiver
11th-July-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi BJ
aahh that's really reassuring! I was looking in the dance room (ie the sports hall) for water and I only found the bar where bottles were being sold.

Can you let me know where the tap water is 'cas I didn't spot a main hall. Is that where people were dancing or somewhere else? and was it there all night (in which case I'm kicking myself for not finding it) or just after 1?

It was a good night. Are you a guy or a girl, and did we dance I wonder...
I'll catch you there for a dance next time :cheers: I meant entrance hall. The counter serving the eating area is on the right as you come in. Tap water is available all of the time it is open. I am a big, tall guy, and, if catching is required, probably best left uncaught.

DianaS
11th-July-2004, 10:55 PM
I meant entrance hall. The counter serving the eating area is on the right as you come in. Tap water is available all of the time it is open. I am a big, tall guy, and, if catching is required, probably best left uncaught.

Have you got ginger hair? I danced with a very tall guy with short ginger hair he was lovely...
D

bigdjiver
12th-July-2004, 10:21 AM
Have you got ginger hair? I danced with a very tall guy with short ginger hair he was lovely...
DNot short, not ginger, not lovely ... :tears:

DianaS
12th-July-2004, 10:39 AM
Not short, not ginger, not lovely ... :tears:
Never mind BJ
Send me your piccy and I'll dance with you in any case.

D
PS It must be long and blond or dark then. And that's my REAL favourate :flower: