PDA

View Full Version : Blues Room for everyone?

MartinHarper
19th-September-2006, 10:34 PM
Why do some men dance in the blues room when they have no idea what it's all about. No clue as to the tempo, dance as if they have the whole room to themselves & inevitably who gets stamped on, elbowed etc etc etc
To learn.

fletch
20th-September-2006, 08:06 AM
Why do some men dance in the blues room when they have no idea what it's all about.

With a comment like that its not suppressing that so many men tell me they won't come in the blues room because they aren't good enough and we come across as elitist and cliquey.:mad:

A bit of patience can go a long way these men might event become good enough to dance with you one day Lucy.:rolleyes:

Lucy Locket
20th-September-2006, 08:51 AM
With a comment like that its not suppressing that so many men tell me they won't come in the blues room because they aren't good enough and we come across as elitist and cliquey.:mad:

A bit of patience can go a long way these men might event become good enough to dance with you one day Lucy.:rolleyes:

Maybe if they stood & watched first they'd get the idea, like 2 male friends of mine, they stood & watched & asked me questions. :flower:

fletch
20th-September-2006, 09:02 AM
Maybe if they stood & watched first they'd get the idea, like 2 male friends of mine, they stood & watched & asked me questions. :flower:

Perhaps these men did ask questions, it might depend on who they asked, if they had asked me my response would have been give it a go, and try your best,:flower: we don't bite.:rolleyes:

Or perhaps these men didn't realise they needed to ask questions and thought they could dance anywhere at Southport.:eek:

I'm just glad my first dances in the blues room were with Chef :worthy: and not your male equivalent :sick: I may not have come back.:mad:

David Bailey
20th-September-2006, 09:35 AM
Cliquey? Surely not - I can't believe it. :whistle:

OK, so there's an entry exam requirement now? You've got to watch and learn from the masters before you're allowed in? :eek:

Blimey, the Hammersmith WontBe Avenue crowd should take notes, they've clearly got a lot to learn.

Mr Cool
20th-September-2006, 09:55 AM
Or perhaps these men didn't realise they needed to ask questions and thought they could dance anywhere at Southport.:eek: :yeah:

Well said Fletch dancing should be fun :flower:

If there was a vote on who should dance in the blues room I would worry (as a weird eccentric musicality freak) I might well get kicked out :( .
Don't fancy being relegated to the main hall :eek:
Although the latin room was good fun.:clap:
I was also suprised to hear a young lady (good dancer) on sunday night in the latin room express the oppinion she was not good enough for the blues room how sad is that :(
sadly you see elitism it in many aspects of dance most often displayed by dancers who are really not that good.:rofl:

Lets keep Dance fun and friendly.:yeah:

I just enjoy dancing with ladies who want to dance with me :yeah:

If you dont please say no girls.:flower:

:waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

fletch
20th-September-2006, 10:10 AM
I was also suprised to hear a young lady (good dancer) on sunday night in the latin room express the oppinion she was not good enough for the blues room how sad is that :(

its not surprising, with comment like stand and watch then ask questions.:mad:

I'm thinking of getting a badge for the next on 'come and ask me to dance I don't bite' :flower:

So please tell me why I have the reputation as the 'scary 1' :confused:

Mr Cool
20th-September-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking of getting a badge for the next on 'come and ask me to dance I don't bite' :flower:

Please make me one too :flower:

Men are always frightened by young beautiful confident ladies. :wink: Fletch you scare me ( but I am a bit of a wimp) :tears:

David Bailey
20th-September-2006, 10:31 AM
I heard the exact same comment in June, again from a young and good dancer (maybe it was the same woman :rofl: ) - I dragged her in anyway.

Let's face it, a lot of people - possibly most people - at weekenders see the Blues Room as elitist / cliquey. This is probably unavoidable - most of the good dancers are there, and it can be intimidating to watch them.

Frankly, most people who just "stood and watched for a couple of minutes" would probably get more intimidated, not less. And I doubt you could pick up Blues dancing from just watching it anyway.

You don't scare me! :na:

(Well, maybe a little bit... )

Hmmm... sounds like a poll: "Does Fletch scare you?" :)

WittyBird
20th-September-2006, 10:36 AM
Frankly, most people who just "stood and watched for a couple of minutes" would probably get more intimidated, not less.

I dragged a few in over the weekend who were just watching and ended up having some great dances with them :na:

Beowulf
20th-September-2006, 10:47 AM
Hmmm... sounds like a poll: "Does Fletch scare you?" :)

Never met her but would have to say there's a few female posters on this forum that so scare the bejeezus out of me.. and Fletch may ,or may not, be one of them ;) :whistle:

so as long as it was an anonymous poll.. wouldn't want to incur anyones wrath :wink:

fletch
20th-September-2006, 10:47 AM
Fletch you scare me

Your scary'er then me,:na: i'v been told so it must be true :wink:

You don't scare me! :na:

(Well, maybe a little bit... )

Only when we try Tango :sick:

I dragged a few in over the weekend who were just watching

I danced with nearly all the bar staff, they so wanted to dance :hug:

And they did a fantastic job and with a smile :cheers:

fletch
20th-September-2006, 10:49 AM
Never met her but would have to say there's a few female posters on this forum that so scare the bejeezus out of me.. and Fletch may ,or may not, be one of them ;) :whistle:

ahahhhh now I know why you didn't turn up for our dance in Scotland then :na: :whistle:

:flower:

jiveaddicted
20th-September-2006, 10:56 AM
Let's face it, a lot of people - possibly most people - at weekenders see the Blues Room as elitist / cliquey. This is probably unavoidable - most of the good dancers are there, and it can be intimidating to watch them.

Frankly, most people who just "stood and watched for a couple of minutes" would probably get more intimidated, not less. And I doubt you could pick up Blues dancing from just watching it anyway.

I always find the friday night at southport particualy hard to get myself into the blues room but find just grabbing the best dancer you can (fletch if possible:grin: ) all the rest of the dances are much more relaxed and i can concentrate more on attempting the blues. Which may not always work but its damn fun trying.

Also big thanks to Tiggerbabe for the wicked dance sunday morning and for carrying on the music.

Big thanks and apologies to Yilander and Drathezal for the dances and for forgergeting your names :blush: :blush:

Im loving the photo's of me dancing with the Witty one i look like a gonk but who cares :grin: :grin:

Beowulf
20th-September-2006, 11:03 AM
ahahhhh now I know why you didn't turn up for our dance in Scotland then :na: :whistle:

:flower:

If this refers to the Aberdeen party at the Beach Ballroom at the early part of the year I had only been dancing a couple of weeks.. :blush: you would have got bored with my 3 move repertoire :wink:

but trust me when I say there are other people on this forum that scare me more than you ;)

Freya
20th-September-2006, 11:25 AM
Hmmm interesting to see everyone talking bout the Blues room appearing elitist and many too scared to enjoy it!

My first SP only been dancing since Christmas and only ventured into the main room a couple of times during the whole weekend!

The Blues room was my home! I didn't find it scary or intimidating! Lots of intimidating dancers that I couldn't find the courage to ask but the atmosphere was the best!

Now if I could just learn to dance!!! :sick:

Rachel
20th-September-2006, 12:06 PM

A bit of patience can go a long way these men might event become good enough to dance with you one day Lucy.:rolleyes:What else can I add? Completely agree with Fletch. Good on these people for coming and trying out the blues room. How else are they going to learn but by coming in and dancing with people? You won't learn a lot by standing and watching. I dragged up a couple of very unconfident men in the blues area and had great dances with them.

I had a lovely Southport! Rather different than usual, and I danced a lot less, especially on Friday when there were so many people to catch up with. Otherwise, I spent most of the weekend in the latin room, cos I love the music and the space. Although it did mean missing a lot of people who were mostly in the blues room. (Dave Hancock, I was looking for you Sunday night, honest!!)

I particularly loved Dance Demon's Friday night and Trampy's Sunday night sets. Gutted to have missed most of Sheena & Oxo's dj'ing – both so innovative – though I could hear some fantastic songs being played from my chalet.

The tango/milonga was wonderful and it was great to watch everyone dancing in the dance den – was mesmersised by Ceecee, and Lynn's footwork/shoes. Just wish I'd had the nerve to dance to it though, without having had any lesson, I couldn't very well ask someone to dance with me!

It was great not to have to get up and teach the early morning classes – I actually had more sleep at Southport than I would do on any normal night – about 5 hours Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. It was just Sunday when we had to pack up the dj kit and lighting so didn't go to bed at all.

Huge thanks to Killingtime, Ylianda, Tessalicious, Lucy, JiveAddicted and everyone who stayed up with us and helped with all the packing away. You are wonderful people!

I no longer have this urge to stay up right til the end every night and did benefit from the extra sleep. Having said that, though, it is so frustrating to be lying in bed hearing all the tunes in the blues room, loving them, and wanting to dance to them.

For this reason, I personally would actually like there to be an end to the evening. Not too early, say 6 or 7am, as I relax more the later it gets. But to have an actual finishing point, to give a climax to the evening.

Somehow it's so much easier to keep your energy levels up when you know you've only got an hour left as opposed to an indefinite length of time. And then, when you go to bed, you know you're not missing anything (as regards dancing, anyway).

But don't worry, I wouldn't advocate this should start happening as I know a lot of people like to keep on dancing all night and morning. It's only a personal preference, and if we didn't have to do the classes, pack away on Sunday and drive home, I'm sure I'd also be dancing 24 hours.

Roll on the next one!

Rachel x

Lynn
20th-September-2006, 12:50 PM
Hmmm interesting to see everyone talking bout the Blues room appearing elitist and many too scared to enjoy it!

My first SP only been dancing since Christmas and only ventured into the main room a couple of times during the whole weekend!

The Blues room was my home! I didn't find it scary or intimidating! Lots of intimidating dancers that I couldn't find the courage to ask but the atmosphere was the best! But I'm sure there were some people in there that you knew, or knew from the forum?

I also danced in the blues room when I'd only been dancing a while and at my first weekender. But the forumites that I knew from on here and that I met at my first weekend made me feel welcome. :flower: Not sure I would have spent as much time in there if I hadn't known anyone. And its probably a bit easier for followers too to get up with an experienced blues room dancer, than the other way round.

I like getting up with a 'new' blues room dancer, who isn't intimidated and is prepared to give it a go. I'll adjust my following a little to add in more styling, interpret the music etc to help them switch into a different type of music than they might be used to (but not so much as to put them off), and usually get a big smile in return.

fletch
20th-September-2006, 01:07 PM
I like getting up with a 'new' blues room dancer, who isn't intimidated and is prepared to give it a go. I'll adjust my following a little to add in more styling, interpret the music etc to help them switch into a different type of music than they might be used to (but not so much as to put them off), and usually get a big smile in return.

:yeah:

:respect:

WittyBird
20th-September-2006, 01:17 PM
And yet again we have the "elitist in the blues room" argument. Yawn.

:yeah: Well said :worthy:

El Salsero Gringo
20th-September-2006, 01:22 PM
sorry I'm fick at the reverse spot turnsDouble snob points to LMC there for pointing out she knows what a "reverse spot turn" is and letting us know (inverted snobbery) that she can't do them.
And yet again we have the "elitist in the blues room" argument. Yawn.Hoist by your own petard, I think.

(sorry, couldn't resist. :flower:)

LMC
20th-September-2006, 01:29 PM
stuff
(TIRED & GRUMPY mode despite over 14 hours sleep at the weekend and completely not caring that I was a wuss and went to bed at 4.30 am)

***. No snobbery intended and you damn well know it. I don't even know if that's the correct name for the move but it seemed easier than a long-drawn out description of what I was supposed to be doing.

I get sick and tired of the feckin nitpicking on here :mad:

tiger
21st-September-2006, 12:43 AM
Lucy, your comment on novice men in the blues room was appalling.
No wonder people think that these blues rooms are full of eliitist snobs who are cliquey etc,etc.

Maybe you are far too good a dancer for those men?
Maybe you could,like some others have shown;encourage rather than slag off.

ChrisA
21st-September-2006, 07:54 AM
No wonder people think that these blues rooms are full of eliitist snobs who are cliquey etc,etc.

Right, first of all, let's look at what Lucy Locket actually said:

Why do some men dance in the blues room when they have no idea what it's all about. No clue as to the tempo, dance as if they have the whole room to themselves & inevitably who gets stamped on, elbowed etc etc etc

So for a start, this comment was about inconsiderate dancing, not novice dancers. If people cannot dance in time to the music, keep to their own space and have regard to the other dancers on the floor, then they have no place in the blues room. The blues room is small, and quite apart from anything else, does not have room for even one or two couples spoiling things for others.

But with this whole politically correct, egalitarian "everyone should be allowed in the blues room" thing that's been surfacing on this thread, I thought I might pop briefly out of forum retirement again in order to call a spade a spade.

Quite frankly, most of them aren't good enough. Get over it.

The 'feel' of a blues room is created by dancers who have a level of subtlety in their dancing and an awareness of the music, their partners and those around. And it's fed by DJs that know what sort of music they thrive on.

If even a representative 20 of the hundreds of people that spend most of their time dancing in the main room came and started dancing in the blues room the way they do in the main room, it would completely ruin it, and deprive those that live for the blues room of their reason for going to Southport in the first place.

If people watch those in the blues room, feel inferior and therefore excluded, and then label others as elitist or cliquey, it's just the same old "I feel bad about not being good enough, so I'm going to blame other people rather than find a way of becoming good enough."

As I say, get over it.

Cruella
21st-September-2006, 07:59 AM
No wonder people think that these blues rooms are full of elitist snobs who are cliquey etc,etc.

Maybe you are far too good a dancer for those men?
Maybe you could,like some others have shown;encourage rather than slag off.

Sorry Lucia, I'm afraid i have to agree! Everyone has as much right to dance where ever they wish. Yes it is annoying when people bash into you and in the blues room this should really happen less, as a lot of the dancing is UCP. Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm sure at sometime, you were at the level of experience of these guys you think need vetting! How would you have felt, if the guys had said, you are not good enough to come into the blues room and dance with them? You don't have to dance with them if you don't want to but I'm sure there are plenty of ladies that would appreciate some new blood to train up. :D

The same goes to you ChrisA, how did you get to be accomplished and worthy of dancing in the blues room? (presuming you are of course):whistle:
I little less selfishness wouldn't go amiss IMO.

fletch
21st-September-2006, 08:21 AM
If people cannot dance in time to the music, keep to their own space and have regard to the other dancers on the floor, then they have no place in the blues room. The blues room is small, and quite apart from anything else, does not have room for even one or two couples spoiling things for others.

Its hard for these people to come into the blues room in the first place, and they are looking for more experienced people to guide them,:respect: and Chris as a man your job should be easier than mine to lead.:worthy:

I have no problem in telling men to slow down or stop bouncing if they are in the Blues room,:sick: but I don't offer this advice when i'm in the main room.:what:

We will always get brave people coming into the blues room (thank goodness):clap:

I say get over it

ChrisA
21st-September-2006, 08:26 AM
The same goes to you ChrisA, how did you get to be accomplished and worthy of dancing in the blues room?
Well, not by going to the blues room at a weekender, and dancing rudely and inconsiderately.

Let me just re-state a little of my post, and perhaps you'd look at the bit I've emphasised:

If even a representative 20 of the hundreds of people that spend most of their time dancing in the main room came and started dancing in the blues room the way they do in the main room, it would completely ruin it

Obviously, if someone not used to the blues room wants to start dancing there, recognises that it's a completely different atmosphere, and makes a big effort to dance considerately and without spoiling the vibe there, there's no reason at all why they shouldn't, or indeed why those that are more used to it shouldn't encourage them.

But to make the leap from Lucy Locket's comment about inconsiderate dancers, to the same-old, same-old, tired, dull, sour-grapes, false conclusion that it's about elitism and snobbery, is just crap, and I think it needs to be said.

I don't imagine it will make a blind bit of difference - the people that feel bad about their dancing, and project that on to others with unfounded accusations of snobbery will doubtless continue. But I've said it now, so I'll get back in my box :flower:

Cruella
21st-September-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, not by going to the blues room at a weekender, and dancing rudely and inconsiderately.

In your opinion! Maybe the more accomplished dancers saw differently and maybe these men we are discussing, don't know that they are dancing rudely and inconsiderately because nobody has given them any friendly advice yet. (other than, please go and dance in the main room!)

Lucy Locket
21st-September-2006, 09:08 AM
Thank you ChrisA

At no time did i say they shouldn't be there, just be aware of the space & tempo. I NEVER turned anyone down, which is more than i can say for some of the men who turned me down.

Maybe people should read what is written than turn it upside down & inside out.

I still stand by what i said everyone should be aware of the limited space & different tempo. I can't wear shoes at the moment because of the bruises on my feet!

Would you walk into the ballroom session and expect to be able to dance never having done it!!!!

I had a fantastic weekend & shared with a lovely room mate. Lynda great to get to know you better & those chocolate cakes !!!!!!!!!

CJ that was a brilliant set x

David Bailey
21st-September-2006, 09:24 AM
Would you walk into the ballroom session and expect to be able to dance never having done it!!!!
No - but we're not talking about a specialised room for a non-MJ dance form, so that's a false analogy.

We're talking about an MJ room, one of the three main MJ rooms, where there is no formal requirement for entry. The only official distinction between the rooms is in the type of music they play, remember?

No-one involved in the organisation has ever said explicitly "you need to be X level to dance in the Blues Room". So imposing your own restrictions is purely what you want - and clearly, there are differences in what people think.

My problem is not with feeling inferior - I can do that perfectly well in any room - but it's with Very Good Dancers feeling too intimidated to dance, because they feel "an atmosphere".

Oh, and my problem is also with all these "I spent 72 hours in the Blues Room, didn't leave there even to eat, aren't I a good dancer, huh?" comments I see from everyone... :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2006, 09:30 AM
There's something very wierd going on, or else some moderator is dicking about with these two threads.....

ducasi
21st-September-2006, 09:32 AM
In the blues room I saw a couple of dancers who didn't seem to have any regard to those around them – or even their partners. But then I also saw similar in the other rooms.

I guess though the blues room, by its nature, is more sensitive to inconsiderate dancing.

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2006, 09:36 AM
Well, not by going to the blues room at a weekender, and dancing rudely and inconsiderately.Well, it sounds marvellous doesn't it? if everyone would just agree to stop being rude and inconsiderate then we'd all have a simply wonderful time. Trouble is "rude" is in the eye of the recipient. You can't expect someone to be considerate until they know which rules and mores they're supposed to be considerate of, and that's all about education.

I'll bet some of those people have no idea how the cognoscenti demand that "blues" be a different style, not just the same moves but slower.
I don't imagine it will make a blind bit of difference - the people that feel bad about their dancing, and project that on to others with unfounded accusations of snobbery will doubtless continue. But I've said it now, so I'll get back in my box :flower:I don't think Cruella needs to feel bad about her dancing, do you?

Beowulf
21st-September-2006, 09:47 AM
I'd LIKE to learn blues.. it's never taught in a normal class. Blues workshops are few and far between and usually when one comes up it's too far away or too expensive or on a date I can't manage (*or all of the above)

I don't fully understand the Blues.. this is why i started This Thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9384) a while back.

I now understand Blues is not the same as dancing slow. I have bought the Beginners Blues DVD but as yet have never had the opportunity or more importantly The Nerve to try it out yet. It's the age old problem where a good male lead can take an inexperienced female though moves they don't know.. but for the inexperienced male who's worrying about moves, musicality and everything else a dance throws at him it's not so easy.

I tend to stand and watch people dancing the blues. I certainly "have no idea what it's all about" and have "No clue as to the tempo" but I can see of no other way of learning.

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2006, 10:05 AM
I now understand Blues is not the same as dancing slow.Don't let them fool you. It's just Ceroc with cuddles.

Cruella
21st-September-2006, 10:11 AM
I tend to stand and watch people dancing the blues. I certainly "have no idea what it's all about" and have "No clue as to the tempo" but I can see of no other way of learning.

I've never been to a blues class in my life! I just joined in and went with it.( I know it's different for a guy) So i probably was one of those inconsiderate dancers unwelcome in the blues room too.

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2006, 10:14 AM
i probably was one of those inconsiderate dancers unwelcome in the blues room too.probably? was?

David Bailey
21st-September-2006, 10:16 AM
Don't let them fool you. It's just Ceroc with cuddles.
Hmmm, funny how Ceroc doesn't like calling things "Blues rooms", isn't it? The Chiswick "second room" was very definitely not marketed as a Blues room, it's currently called a "Chill out Lounge". Maybe the term "Blues" is seen as inherently exclusive?

However, having said that, one of the problems I had with Chiswick when I went was that the atmosphere in the sort-of-but-not-really-Blues room was, well, pants. So I could be a little inconsistent in insisting on both democracy and atmosphere - they may be mutually exclusive.

I think the inherent problem is that "Blues" is poorly-defined. If Blues were a clearly separate and recognised dance style, most of the problems would go away - in the same way you don't see (as Lucy L pointed out) problems with people trying to MJ to in a ballroom room. But as it is, there's no official barrier, so people develop unofficial ones, which leads to all the grief about elitism etc.

Cruella
21st-September-2006, 10:18 AM
probably? was?

:rofl: Knew you couldn't keep it up!!

(Being in agreement with me).

Lucy Locket
21st-September-2006, 10:20 AM
i seem to have got a few backs up, maybe i should have re-phrased what i said.

i apologise :flower:

Juju
21st-September-2006, 10:23 AM
I've never been to a blues class in my life! I just joined in and went with it.

Ditto. Generally speaking I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on and I'm fairly crap at everything, but I like the music they play in the Blues room (and I also like the fresh air), so I watch a bit, feel hugely inferior and inexperienced quite a lot, but have a go anyway - when I can pluck up the courage to dance with anyone (which I'm getting loads better at) - and I learn by doing it. I think my dancing got a lot better over just one weekend spent mostly in the Blues room. (Whether I was dancing Blues, WCS, Lindy, Salsa, or bog-standard MJ, or all of them at the same time, I really don't know.)

Cruella
21st-September-2006, 10:23 AM
i apologise :flower:

Well thats a refreshing post. :flower: Don't see many of them on the forum!

Tiggerbabe
21st-September-2006, 10:59 AM
Ceroc with cuddles.
Brilliant :D :hug:

Chef
21st-September-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a strange feeling that, once again, I am going to regret posting on this forum.

I will almost agree with ChisA but will add one additional word.

They are not good enough YET. They are not good enough yet because they don't know and they don't know because no one has told them.

Everytime I go to one of these big weekenders I see faces around the edge of the blues room that are looking on, as I once did, at this dancing that was utterly ALIEN to their previous experience. When I first watched I was stunned and humbled. They did moves, in time with the music, didn't hit each other, and with :what: musicality. How did they do and think of all of those things at once?

I also see faces around the blues room with hunger in their eyes. They want to be able to dance like that. Where do you start? Where do you learn? How do you avoid making a fool of yourself when all these cool looking dancers are all around you. I had done some blues lessons with Nigel and Nina but the first time I stepped onto a blues room dance floor I felt such a fraud.

This time at Southport I didn't have my partner with me and had more time for socialising and also someting that I quite enjoy doing, which is coaxing and helping those people that look ready to make their first steps onto a blues room floor. Since I am a leader I find this easier to do with the followers (and I don't just pick the young and pretty). The first task is to get get them to slow down and relax. Then I try to persuade them that standing nearly still or moving really slowly if fine if that is what the music is telling them to do. Lastly I get them to relax gently into the leading hand and follow that only (getting them to close their eyes always seems to help with this). Three of the ladies that I had done this with around lunchtime saturday made thier home in the blues room for all the rest of the weekend (one other decided she really prefered the main room after all).

The women are easy to introduce. I did end up with two couples out the back of the latin room on Sunday as the ladies that I had met at previous weekenders wanted their men "converted for use in the blues room" (what the guy thought of being refered to in this way I can only guess). I ended up teaching them a lead and follow excercise that Amir had first taught me, used it to show what could be done in close hold, the importance of smoothness of movement so that it acts as a contrast to sharpness when used with musical accents and then showed the idea of dancing in a slot as a way of avoiding hitting other people and helping your follower to always know where you will be.

For sure, I am not a professional teacher but if I can get them interested and unafraid perhaps they will then seek out the professional teachers who can take them further than my initial steps.

Blues rooms will always have people in them that can't dance in time with music or have any idea where they are going. Most of them don't know - YET. Some of them don't care and never will. It is true that being bashed into by these people is very irritating and having to be ever watchful of them puts a major crimp on ones creativity. I also have heard many followers telling me how painful it is to be yanked around by some of these leaders who seem to like to dance at rock n roll speeds to Diana Krall. I don't suffer the direct effect of these "hyper speed" leaders but I find them like a road crash on the other side of the motorway - I know I shouldn't look but I just can't stop myself being fascinated and distracted by the horror of it.

On the train home from this Southport I pondered why I liked the blues room after 2am on the sunday night. I used to think that I had danced all weekend, honing my dance until I entered "The Zone". On the train I thought to myself "Nah it is because all the berks that bash into you have gotten tired and gone to bed leaving only the people that you can trust to keep out of your face on the dance floor".

Perhaps all we really need is a bigger blues room so that people who have no floorcraft find it harder to be a nuisance to others. Helping people to make an informed transition between MJ and the needs of blues room dancing is also a good thing. People seem to remember forever the person that first introduced them to the blues room.

Rachel
21st-September-2006, 11:30 AM
...Perhaps all we really need is a bigger blues room so that people who have no floorcraft find it harder to be a nuisance to others...Aha, got it! It's all so simple - we need the dance den to be reserved for the bouncy/jerky dancers who then have to pass stringent forumite tests before they are allowed out to dance elsewhere. And the main room will become the blues room, with training lanes marking off one side for the 'almost but not quite there yet' blues dancers. :wink:
R. x

David Bailey
21st-September-2006, 11:34 AM
I know I shouldn't look but I just can't stop myself being fascinated and distracted by the horror of it.
I now do that when tango-ing to Gotan - watching MJ-ers bounce around to it is just weird... Of course, I was like that myself last year, so I'm not one to talk.

On the train home from this Southport I pondered why I liked the blues room after 2am on the sunday night. I used to think that I had danced all weekend, honing my dance until I entered "The Zone". On the train I thought to myself "Nah it is because all the berks that bash into you have gotten tired and gone to bed leaving only the people that you can trust to keep out of your face on the dance floor".
Ah, now that has the ring of authenticity!

Perhaps all we really need is a bigger blues room so that people who have no floorcraft find it harder to be a nuisance to others. Helping people to make an informed transition between MJ and the needs of blues room dancing is also a good thing. People seem to remember forever the person that first introduced them to the blues room.
I don't, I just kind of wandered in...

As for "bigger blues room", I dunno if that'd work - the whole essence of the room is "intimate", and almost all blues rooms I know are quite small - with the exception of Slinkys at Greenwich, but that always feels weird, partially because it's so big I think.

I think a "better managed transition" is a more viable option.

WittyBird
21st-September-2006, 11:39 AM
Aha, got it! It's all so simple - we need the dance den to be reserved for the bouncy/jerky dancers who then have to pass stringent forumite tests before they are allowed out to dance elsewhere. And the main room will become the blues room, with training lanes marking off one side for the 'almost but not quite there yet' blues dancers. :wink:
R. x

Pure Genius LMFAO you made me p1$$ my pants
have some rep you clever clever girl :whistle:

ducasi
21st-September-2006, 11:41 AM
Hmmm, funny how Ceroc doesn't like calling things "Blues rooms", isn't it? The Chiswick "second room" was very definitely not marketed as a Blues room, it's currently called a "Chill out Lounge". Maybe the term "Blues" is seen as inherently exclusive? .
:confused:

Ceroc Scotland don't seem afraid to use the word, and neither do Ceroc Enterprises with their range of Blues DVDs...

CJ
21st-September-2006, 11:41 AM
OK, before Southport I'd totted up maybe 5/6 hrs in a blues room, every dance making mistakes and feeling a fraud...

This weekend, I decided to let go.

Yes, I made mistakes. (beginners make mistakes, advanced dancers syncopate!!:rolleyes: ). I even had a couple of minor feet collisions, to my utmost embarassment. But I did some really nice stuff, too. I had dances that took my breath away, that made me need to sit down, that took the strength from my legs and that rocked my world.

I'm no better a dancer than the other newbies: I don't have moves, and any style is purely my own!!:rofl: :rofl: But I have music...

What I learned in the blues room is that musicality + attitude (caveat: consideration for partner/other dancers) = everything.

Is only my view.

To anyone who watched at SP, get involved. Try it. The good thing is that the Blues room is full of people with a passion for dance, for music and for sharing. Most of them would love to share with U.

Let them.:grin:

Lynn
21st-September-2006, 11:48 AM
I had a dance with a guy I normally dance with at these weekenders. He doesn't do blues but that's where he bumped into me and wanted to dance. Sorry but I'm not going to turn round and say 'you can't dance with me in here, lets go somewhere else'. We danced, we smiled.

For me, the blues room is about the music. Not the wonderful dancers (of which there are plenty) or people's 'level of ability'. If someone loves the music in the blues room and wants to express that in their dancing, then I want to dance with them. Even if they are still figuring out how to do that. (I'm still figuring out how to do that myself a lot of the time!)

If they want to dance in the blues room and ignore the music totally, that's when I'll not be so keen to dance with them, and perhaps that was partly where Lucy was coming from with her post that started all this off?

Trousers
21st-September-2006, 12:16 PM
Well I admit I spent most of the weekend in the Bar area shall we say.

God only knows if I dance bluesy - I just do what I do.
But I can and will dance where I want to.

However reading this thread it would appear that most people in here would say that the 'Blues Room' was full of thoughtful dancers watching their space and dancing with good manners and care.

Some were, most wern't - I got bumped and bashed as much as any other room.

And at one stage I walked through there noticed a wet patch on the floor that 'every body else' couldn't be arsed to do anything about so they just danced around it ?????? So I wiped it up. Don't sound like thoughtful considerate elite dancers to me.

Come on hands up who ignored the wet patch then???

:mad:

Lory
21st-September-2006, 12:19 PM
I think I must be either stupid, niave, ignorant or unknowingly up my own **** :what: :blush: but it didn't even occur to me, I had to be 'good enough' to dance in the blues room.

I simply heard the music I really liked and saw people I really wanted to dance with and that was that. :waycool: :clap:

But I also agree with CJ when he said....

musicality + attitude (caveat: consideration for partner/other dancers) = everything.

Cruella
21st-September-2006, 12:24 PM
Come on hands up who ignored the wet patch then???

I always try to avoid it!

Chef
21st-September-2006, 12:28 PM
Aha, got it! It's all so simple - we need the dance den to be reserved for the bouncy/jerky dancers who then have to pass stringent forumite tests before they are allowed out to dance elsewhere. And the main room will become the blues room, with training lanes marking off one side for the 'almost but not quite there yet' blues dancers. :wink:
R. x

I love the idea of training lanes. Truly insightful :wink: After all we don't let people out in cars without a knowledge of how to safely manouvre the car, the conventions of the road etc. Dance skills are dance skills however one like to dress them up and floorcraft is a dance skill. Like most skills it is much easier to be taught them rather than spontaneously gain them through personal insight. As for the idea of having to pass tests - let's not go there again.

What I learned in the blues room is that musicality + attitude (caveat: consideration for partner/other dancers) = everything.

Is only my view.

It is a view that I also share passionately. Some time ago when Ducasi was starting posting on the forum he and I got engaged in a discussion about what was important, the music or the dance. I won't bore you all with all of the ins and outs of the discussion but I rather curtly ended my contribution to the thread with something along the lines of "if you think you understand musicallity go have a look in the Southport blues room at 2am on the monday morning". I feel bad about being so curt but I still think it's true.

To anyone who watched at SP, get involved. Try it. The good thing is that the Blues room is full of people with a passion for dance, for music and for sharing. Most of them would love to share with U.

Let them.:grin:

So very much agree. Rep on its way for a post written from the heart.

MartinHarper
21st-September-2006, 12:34 PM
Perhaps all we really need is a bigger blues room so that people who have no floorcraft find it harder to be a nuisance to others.

For what it's worth, I found the Blues room at Kidderminster Pulse much less crowded, and that did indeed mean that folks dancing "blues" and folks dancing slow and expansive Ceroc could co-exist very well.

funny how Ceroc doesn't like calling things "Blues rooms", isn't it? The Chiswick "second room" was very definitely not marketed as a Blues room, it's currently called a "Chill out Lounge". Maybe the term "Blues" is seen as inherently exclusive?

"Blues room" could be less accurate. The music is not necessarilly blues, and the dancing can include many differnt styles. A name like "chill out lounge" encompasses "blues", WCS, slow Lindy, slow MJ, MJ with cuddles, Tango, and the rest.

mikeyr
21st-September-2006, 12:49 PM
R. x

That looks to be route we are going down according to some posts on here I cant believe it:eek:

Lets start with the Music, most of it aint even Blues (Blues music has a clearly defined structure) and Blues aint always slow either. What we dance to in the blues room is music of a slower tempo that can come from any Genre
(musical structure) but lends itself better to interpretive dancing.

So the term Blues music/dancing is a misnomer. However I accept that for want of a better name it will do.

The Dancing, how do you dance to Blues, I personally like to dance in the slot which is fine for some of the standard "Blues" but the Latin "Blues"
(could that be a Rhumba perchance) does not lend itself so easily. Then theres the funky kinda "Blues" Which is danced IMHO a different way, I could go on.......and on!

So it seems to me that we have music with no one musical structure with which to define with no commonly accepted dance style, (you can do WCS, MJ, Smooth Lindy (yes there is such a thing) and a Rhumba) by which it can be defined either. However what is common is Attitude.

There you have it, all you need to dance the "Blues" is Attitude.

Hey, there you go? why dont we just call it that. "The Attitude Room" problem solved.

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2006, 12:52 PM
Hey, there you go? why dont we just call it that. "The Attitude Room" problem solved.Nah. I vote for "The Cuddle Cupboard".

fletch
21st-September-2006, 01:30 PM
R. x

We have found some where for BARMPOT to dance :clap:

:rofl:

For what it's worth, I found the Blues room at Kidderminster Pulse much less crowded, and that did indeed mean that folks dancing "blues" and folks dancing slow and expansive Ceroc could co-exist very well.

It was probably dancing at Kidderminster that got me so fired up with Lucy's post.:flower:

I had some lovely dances there, with men that SO won't to dance in the 'blues room' but haven't got the courage, I spent quite a lot of time persuading them to give it a try,:hug: and when I read the post i just thought ho no.......there confidence would have been crushed.:tears:

I know its hard for anyone to make that transition, an if I can I will point out people that are friendly and approachable for them to ask,:worthy: I also point out people best to avoid.:rolleyes:

Poor Chef you always get them,:respect: as you did in Camber last year with Fiona, she never moved out again.:D

Get a grip
21st-September-2006, 01:53 PM
This thread is basically described in two parts: Learning blues (are you a fraud?) and inconsiderate dancing - and these are both fairly easily covered.

People either have an initial feel for blues or they don't. If you do it's a piece of p*ss as you just follow the music and adapt moves you know to fit the pace and style of music your dancing to - and at all times taking into account the experience of your partner. If you don't have a feel for blues then they only way to learn it is to immerse yourself in it and to dance with as many new partners as you can.

On this basis novices have as much right to floor space as experienced dancers and to look down on people who can't quite do it yet is fundamentally wrong. Everyone has to learn and that takes some people longer than others. The one caveat to this are people who have been dancing for years and who still refuse to accept that they should dance with consideration for others. These people need jumping on and de-bagging...

As regards inconsiderate dancers: apart from those people just mentioned, most inconsiderate dancers are people who are novices in one form or another and who are just starting to find their feet. In this respect the responsibility to ensure that people dance safely lies just as much with the experienced dancer as the novice (more so in fact). If you get constantly clattered by someone dancing next to you then JUST MOVE OUT OF THE WAY! What's the point of fighting for territory and putting yourself and your partner in danger?

Another way of dealing with a space invader with monster feet is to simply put yourself in their space first so they have nowhere to go (important to say here that it's you that should be in the firing line NOT your partner). It's fairly easy to understand how they step in and step out and move around so pick your moment and crowd them out. I've actually moved someone right off the dance floor using just this technique and a bit of attitude.

So in summary: Everyone has a right to dance and to learn - we should ALL act responsibly rather than just simply blaming it on someone else.

Chef
21st-September-2006, 01:54 PM
I know its hard for anyone to make that transition, an if I can I will point out people that are friendly and approachable for them to ask,:worthy: I also point out people best to avoid.:rolleyes:

Perhaps weekenders will have more/some lessons on blues/interpretive dancing in future. There seems to be a lot of people that normally dance in the main room that also enjoy the music in the blues room that may be interested in a class to help them make the transition.

Poor Chef you always get them,:respect: as you did in Camber last year with Fiona, she never moved out again.:D

People that want to learn are never an imposition. I went out to the people on the edge of the dance floor and asked them to dance. When they said that they didn't know how I just asked them if they would like me to help. One dance was enough for them to relax and start enjoying themselves. After three almost all of them were hooked and stayed.

Fiona is a very special case. She had nothing to learn from me. I learnt much from her. If that Camber was her first then she is completely natural. I tried to find her at this last Southport but couldn't. I do hope that she just wasn't there because if she was and I didn't get to dance with her I would be completely gutted. In terms of blues dancing I have only danced with one other that was her equal.

WittyBird
21st-September-2006, 01:56 PM
{snip good stuff}.

Watch out folks someones pretending to be GaG :rofl:

Who nicked his log in's - C'mon own up?

Stuart M
21st-September-2006, 01:59 PM
Lets start with the Music, most of it aint even Blues (Blues music has a clearly defined structure) and Blues aint always slow either. What we dance to in the blues room is music of a slower tempo that can come from any Genre
(musical structure) but lends itself better to interpretive dancing.

So the term Blues music/dancing is a misnomer. However I accept that for want of a better name it will do.

<snip>

There you have it, all you need to dance the "Blues" is Attitude.

Hey, there you go? why dont we just call it that. "The Attitude Room" problem solved.
I'd always suspected that the element of snobbery which surrounds "Blues" dancing was caused by the name and its baggage. There's a cliche joke that Blues music has a mystique defined purely by those capable of it. Musician X has "got the Blues" whereas musician Y "ain't got the Blues", etc. even though the observing third party can't tell the difference.

This cliche of Blues music is part of popular culture, so if you go naming a dance form "Blues", you have to expect people to approach it with preconceived notions.

Not suggesting that this preconception is right or fair, but it exists. And since the dance style is a lot younger than the music style, it'll be practitioners of the dance style who have to go around demystiquing it. Or they could just take the easy way out and change the name. This would also help me in the sense that I wouldn't have to go round making up stupid verbs.

BTW, for those who aren't clear on mikeyr's "clearly defined structure" for Blues music, this list (http://salvaging.blogspot.com/2006/02/rules-of-blues.html) might help (I'm kidding of course). Alternately, it might guide them into deciding just how appropriate the term is :devil:

Get a grip
21st-September-2006, 02:03 PM
Watch out folks someones pretending to be GaG :rofl:

Who nicked his log in's - C'mon own up?
Sorry WB, did you want me to name names? Then we could set up a raiding party and you could be in charge of the debagging (no change there then...)

David Bailey
21st-September-2006, 02:13 PM
As regards inconsiderate dancers: apart from those people just mentioned, most inconsiderate dancers are people who are novices in one form or another and who are just starting to find their feet. In this respect the responsibility to ensure that people dance safely lies just as much with the experienced dancer as the novice (more so in fact). If you get constantly clattered by someone dancing next to you then JUST MOVE OUT OF THE WAY! What's the point of fighting for territory and putting yourself and your partner in danger?
It's not quite that simple, though, is it?

Blues rooms are usually very crowded, so one manic jumper can ruin it, far more than in a normal MJ environment. Also, people are moving slower - so it takes longer to get out of the way. Finally, people are apparently wandering around in a sleep-deprived "zone haze" all the time, they don't want to play dodgem cars. :)

Also, for some other dances (e.g. progressives), that simply doesn't work - the onus is definitely on the beginner to keep to the line of dance, not on the experienced person to get out of the way. Who's to say that shouldn't apply to Blues dancing also?

So in summary: Everyone has a right to dance and to learn - we should ALL act responsibly rather than just simply blaming it on someone else.
Ah, you wuss.

Blimey, why not just say "Let's all love each other, why can't we just get along maaaan..." :rolleyes: :na:

Lynn
21st-September-2006, 02:33 PM
Finally, people are apparently wandering around in a sleep-deprived "zone haze" all the time, they don't want to play dodgem cars. :)Unless you're going to Breeze where dodgem cars are apparently an option.

*Sits back to see if thread goes 'outside' now GaG has joined in*

fletch
21st-September-2006, 02:39 PM
Perhaps weekenders will have more/some lessons on blues/interpretive dancing in future.

I went out to the people on the edge of the dance floor and asked them to dance. .

Fiona is a very special case. She had nothing to learn from me. I learnt much from her. If that Camber was her first then she is completely natural. I tried to find her at this last Southport but couldn't. I do hope that she just wasn't there because if she was and I didn't get to dance with her I would be completely gutted. In terms of blues dancing I have only danced with one other that was her equal.

Lessons i'll set my alarm clock :wink:

with your last two comments, thats why you will allways be my hero :worthy:

And no Fiona wasn't at Southport you carn't miss her :D she must have been on her best behaviour at Camber,:whistle: she is a similar caracter to WB thats why we get on :cheers:

fletch
21st-September-2006, 02:42 PM
Sorry WB, did you want me to name names? Then we could set up a raiding party and you could be in charge of the debagging (no change there then...)

So he does know you WB

Ah, you wuss.

Blimey, why not just say "Let's all love each other, why can't we just get along maaaan..." :rolleyes: :na:

LMFTO

mikeyr
21st-September-2006, 02:46 PM
BTW, for those who aren't clear on mikeyr's "clearly defined structure" for Blues music, this list (http://salvaging.blogspot.com/2006/02/rules-of-blues.html) might help (I'm kidding of course). Alternately, it might guide them into deciding just how appropriate the term is :devil:

That sums it up better than I ever could. :cool:

Get a grip
21st-September-2006, 03:08 PM
It's not quite that simple, though, is it?

......people are moving slower - so it takes longer to get out of the way. : Have you thought about just taking your partner and walking to the other side of the room? Alternatively, putting chewing gum in their hair normally works...

Also, for some other dances (e.g. progressives), that simply doesn't work - the onus is definitely on the beginner to keep to the line of dance, not on the experienced person to get out of the way. Who's to say that shouldn't apply to Blues dancing also?:

Absolutely disagree: beginners are beginners simple as that. This means it takes time for them to understand floorcraft. They don't know they are doing anything wrong so if you put the onus on them you will end up disappointed and a sad and bitter individual indeed.

Ah, you wuss.

I'm just like a big pink fluffy bunny....

fletch
21st-September-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm just like a big pink fluffy bunny....

Ahhhh

Andy Mc is that you ?

:wink:

The Explainer
21st-September-2006, 03:29 PM
:rofl: Knew you couldn't keep it up!!

(Being in agreement with me).

This is funny because Cruella has managed to take her response and word it in a way that also sounds like she could be saying that ESG has issues of impotence.

------------------------
Courtesy of The Explainer

The Explainer
21st-September-2006, 03:33 PM
It's just Ceroc with cuddles.

This is funny because when 2 people dance blues, they dance very closely together, so it could appear like they are just in an embrace, cuddling.

------------------------

SilverFox
21st-September-2006, 03:34 PM
LMFTO:rofl:Laugh My False Tits Off?.......

fletch
21st-September-2006, 03:37 PM
Laugh My False Tits Off?.......

I'm cut to the quick with that remark :tears:

:na: :rofl:

Ghost
21st-September-2006, 03:39 PM
Were there any Blues Workshops at Southport?

The Explainer
21st-September-2006, 03:41 PM
I always try to avoid it!
This was a response to Trousers complaint of a wet patch on the dance floor. Here, Cruella has cleverly extrapolated the concept of a wet patch on the dance floor, to one that can be created through sexual intercourse.

------------------------

ducasi
21st-September-2006, 03:45 PM
This was a response to Trousers complaint of a wet patch on the dance floor. Here, Cruella has cleverly extrapolated the concept of a wet patch on the dance floor, to one that can be created through sexual intercourse.

------------------------
Um, do we need this??? :rolleyes:

David Bailey
21st-September-2006, 04:10 PM
Have you thought about just taking your partner and walking to the other side of the room? Alternatively, putting chewing gum in their hair normally works...
Good plan, why didn't I think of that.

Absolutely disagree: beginners are beginners simple as that. This means it takes time for them to understand floorcraft. They don't know they are doing anything wrong so if you put the onus on them you will end up disappointed and a sad and bitter individual indeed.
No change there then.

But some dance forms - and yes, I'm thinking of Tango here - do have that onus; that's just the way the culture is, and if you want to do that dance in a social context you have to go with the rules.

I'm not saying it'd always a good idea, or that it'd be good for any MJ-derived dance form - it may be just the norm for progressive dances - but it's possible that such a culture could develop in Blues dancing, given some comments.

WittyBird
21st-September-2006, 04:19 PM

I could respond if I had the faintest idea what you meant :rofl:

MartinHarper
21st-September-2006, 04:19 PM
people are moving slower - so it takes longer to get out of the way.

Given all the comments about the fantastic connection and excellent lead/follow that goes on in "blues" rooms, not to mention that most folks are using "body leads" in the full contact sense, plus what I see, I reckon they're pretty decent at swiftly changing the direction and position of their partner.

Chef
21st-September-2006, 05:14 PM
Given all the comments about the fantastic connection and excellent lead/follow that goes on in "blues" rooms, not to mention that most folks are using "body leads" in the full contact sense, plus what I see, I reckon they're pretty decent at swiftly changing the direction and position of their partner.

All of what you say above is true. It all falls apart as an evasion mechaism because I don't have eyes in the back of my head.

I had one incident where I had been in close hold for the first 40 seconds of a track the first inkling that I got of something being amiss was the gasps of other dancers behind me and I managed to turn enough to see out the corner of my eye a guy in a black hat vigorously spinning a woman towards us before plunging her into a drop that deftly inserted her face into the back of my T Shirt. He told me to watch out, I told him that we had nowhere else to go because we were right up against the wall. She squealed somthing from inside the back of my T Shirt.

If you can do fast multiple spins and drops then you are not a beginner. If you don't know or don't care about barging other dancers out of the area they are quite entitled to have peaceful enjoyment of then you need a lesson of one form or another.

The other incident I had was a pair of women dancing together at 4am on the monday. They seemed to be having a contest to see who wrap the other one in and then spin them back out again as fast as possible which seemed bizzarre sine the music was slower than a hearbeat at this point. On the first occasion my partner and I manged to let go of each other and jump out of the way one came flying between us and hit the table on the other side of where we were. We decided to move as you might expect. Within about 20 seconds they were back behind my partner. We moved again to what I thought was a generous safe distance. Then one and then the other fell to the floor and I had to abruptly stop my partner so she didn't fall backwards over them.

OK I fully accept that people have to learn floorcraft and while they are doing so then errors will occur. A complete, blatant and persistant disregard of other dancers on the floor is not something that I can accept as an unfortunate error. I do try to get out of peoples way when I see that these unfortuate collsions are going to occur both for my own sake and the sake of my partner. I do however expect to be met half way. At least try to avoid crashing into me (it's not that hard since I normally dance within the same, non moving rectangle for the whole track). Don't join the floor halfway through a track and attempt to squeeze yourself into an unrealistically small peice of floor and try to bump the people that are already there out of the way because you can't be bothered to either walk to a bit of empty floor or wait until the next track to find some space that have just been vacated by dancers leaving the floor.

Get a grip
21st-September-2006, 05:36 PM
Good plan, why didn't I think of that.

No change there then.

But some dance forms - and yes, I'm thinking of Tango here - do have that onus; that's just the way the culture is, and if you want to do that dance in a social context you have to go with the rules.

I'm not saying it'd always a good idea, or that it'd be good for any MJ-derived dance form - it may be just the norm for progressive dances - but it's possible that such a culture could develop in Blues dancing, given some comments.
Is it just me or does anyone else read 'anus' instead of 'onus'. I would hate to put an anus on a beginner (well, hmmm... maybe not...)

Maybe we should suggest changing the Ceroc brand colour to brown instead of orange?

straycat
21st-September-2006, 06:13 PM
Watch out folks someones pretending to be GaG

Funny, isn't it. One might almost think he's actually an extremely good blues dancer / teacher?. Maybe he should have called himself Neo, not GaG... :whistle:

Dorothy
21st-September-2006, 06:42 PM

Caro
21st-September-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry but I don't really understand what's all the fuss about. :confused:
What matters to me when I dance is to have a good time. I don't consider myself to be a very good or an 'elite' dancer yet I spent most of my time in SP in the blues room. Cause I love the music and feel I need to dance when I hear it. Ventured a few times in the mainroom when I felt like dancing to faster tracks but that's about it. Pretty simple really.
Now yes it's a crowded dance floor at times with people of various ability wrt floorcraft and you get bumped into AND bump into people from time to time (funny how people always say they 'got bumped into' by such and such inconsiderate dancer :rolleyes: ) . Not particularly pleasant, quite unsafe at times and we should all try to avoid it - but hey people have to learn and very often they make mistakes in the process :rolleyes: .
I don't particularly enjoy dancing a blues track with a bouncy beginner but I won't refuse a dance and hopefully I can try and show them that you don't need to bounce your hand all the time and that slowing down is not a bad idea either. :flower:

I think people should spend more time doing what they enjoy and less time worrying about what other people think / whether or not they are ready for the blues room :really: ... sorry but fun should come first :flower: .
And the more fun they'll have dancing, the more likely they are to want to learn new skills / styles and improve. Hence become better dancers.

fletch
21st-September-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't particularly enjoy dancing a blues track with a bouncy beginner but I won't refuse a dance and hopefully I can try and show them that you don't need to bounce your hand all the time and that slowing down is not a bad idea either. :flower:

I think people should spend more time doing what they enjoy and less time worrying about what other people think / whether or not they are ready for the blues room :really: ... sorry but fun should come first :flower: .
And the more fun they'll have dancing, the more likely they are to want to learn new skills / styles and improve. Hence become better dancers.

hiphiphoorray :clap:

I just whish I could stop worring about what people think :rolleyes:

:na:

Beowulf
21st-September-2006, 07:57 PM

Very true.. but If .. IMHO.. I'm "treating" some fine young lady dancer to the worst dance of her night I can't usually start to enjoy myself. I worry too much about what other people think.. the more I worry.. the worse I dance.. the worse I dance the more I worry.

Problem is I'd like to Dance the blues / Slow MJ but I just don't understand it. I know one much touted track is "Will You" by Hazel O'Connor. (am listening to it as I type actually) now in my uni days I used to dance this with my then girlfriend (yes I did have one of those too.. you find that hard to believe) This was WAY before my ceroc / MJ days. I just used to hold her close and move as I wanted, adding little bits here and there. No problems,

Now.. fast forward to 2006. I would say that now I'm a much better dancer than I was then.. but now I can no longer dance to this track. Why? but my heads all full of MJ moves, and I can't see how spins and octopus's and catapults etc all fit. Sure I see how SOME moves might fit. the slo comb and basket perhaps.. but it would be an exceptionally boring evening if I limited myself to two moves all night. :sick:

I'd be happy to see more Blues being taught.. more blue workshops and more chance to practice bluesy dancing without having to make a point of venturing into the blues room to do so. I mean.. have been dancing 4 months this time and 5 months the last time (albeit with a 2 and 1/2 year gap in between) You'd think I had an idea whayt I was doing by now? Slow learner? me? ha what gives you that idea.

I have to come to the conclusion that no matter how much money you pay and how much practice you put in.. some people will never be dancers.. I think I'll stick to computer programming :(

Gadget
21st-September-2006, 08:01 PM
Now if I could just learn to dance!!! :sick::confused: Eh?

don't consider myself to be a very good or an 'elite' dancer
Two of the best dancers I know saying similar things after being to Southport... ?? Is there something in the water down there?

I have to come to the conclusion that no matter how much money you pay and how much practice you put in.. some people will never be dancers..True, but everyone will be able to dance if they practice enough and get the right tuition for them :D

MartinHarper
21st-September-2006, 08:08 PM
I just used to hold her close and move as I wanted, adding little bits here and there. No problems.

Congratulations, you can already dance "blues". Next weekender, go to the blues room and do that for a couple of hours. You'll fit right in.

Caro
21st-September-2006, 08:18 PM
Problem is I'd like to Dance the blues / Slow MJ but I just don't understand it. (...)

I'd be happy to (....) more chance to practice bluesy dancing without having to make a point of venturing into the blues room to do so. :(

I'm hoping to be at the class next tuesday, I'll catch you for a slow dance - you'll have no choice :devil: and hopefully I can show you a couple of useful moves :wink:

I have to come to the conclusion that no matter how much money you pay and how much practice you put in.. some people will never be dancers.. I think I'll stick to computer programming :(

rubbish... I was convinced anything related to dancing / music just wasn't for me... then I started ceroc, it wasn't as difficult and snob as the other dances and I realised I could dance (a little at least:D ). Same with music... :respect: :worthy: to Amir's musicality workshops... some stuff you just need to have explained like how the music is structured and how you might want to interpret that while dancing (i.e. giving you ideas and a chance to practice in a 'safe' environment) etc. Then it suddendly makes sense :yeah: .

There are people who've been very exposed to music and dance in their upbringing, others who have a natural talent for it; all the others can learn. It just takes a bit more patience, but if you love it, it's so worth it :flower:
so... don't worry too much about it :hug:

Mr Cool
21st-September-2006, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=Chef;282336]Perhaps weekenders will have more/some lessons on blues/interpretive dancing in future. There seems to be a lot of people that normally dance in the main room that also enjoy the music in the blues room that may be interested in a class to help them make the transition.

I don't understand the fuss about dancing the blues:confused: all you need is the right partner, some good blues music and the right atmosphere.
Simply feel the music and dance :yeah:

No lessons required. Practice makes perfect:clap: :clap:

straycat
21st-September-2006, 11:07 PM
Very true.. but If .. IMHO.. I'm "treating" some fine young lady dancer to the worst dance of her night I can't usually start to enjoy myself.
snippety
snippety
snip

I'm in a slightly more ... blunt mood than normal...
Beo... you need, need, need to stop this. Self-deprecation is very English, but to this extent, it's self-fulfilling, self-defeating. You are constantly telling us, and yourself that you are a bad dancer, and will never be anything else.

Well - until you stop doing this, to yourself, you will always be that bad dancer :mad: No matter what everyone else thinks of you... You're so worried about whether or not you're any good that you seem to be forgetting to enjoy the dancing!!!

The time for improvement is when you're doing lessons. At all other times, take a deep breath, let all those silly doubts go, and lose yourself in the dance, the music and your partner.

As for blues, forget all the silly spins, octopi, catapults, wurlitzers, whatever. Throw it all away. Just do what you used to do to 'will you', and you'll dance ten times better for it, and enjoy yourself ten times more. And so will your partners.

You want to dance ... you love dancing ... so dance!!! Stop worrying about whether you're good... I'll tell you now - the simple fact that you're concerned that your partner enjoys the dance already puts you a cut above ...

Very few of us here have natural talent at dancing. I certainly don't. I don't do this to be a great dancer - I do it because I love it, as do you. I'm a very good social dancer now, but it's not because I set out to be - it's just because I've kept dancing, kept enjoying it, and stayed receptive to anything new - that's all you need.

What stops you every time is that little voice in the back of your head saying "I can't do this" or "I'm cr4p at this" or "Oh god, I'm about to lead that same move for the fifth time this dance, and she's going to get really bored..." - you must realise by now that everything said voice is coming out with is a load of rubbish, and listening to it just hurts you - ignore it. Or reply that you Really Don't Care. It knows nothing. Just dance.

TheTramp
21st-September-2006, 11:37 PM

(And leaving early from dancing doesn't help either! :rolleyes: )

frodo
22nd-September-2006, 12:02 AM
But with this whole politically correct, egalitarian "everyone should be allowed in the blues room" thing that's been surfacing on this thread, I thought I might pop briefly out of forum retirement again in order to call a spade a spade.

The 'feel' of a blues room is created by dancers who have a level of subtlety in their dancing and an awareness of the music, their partners and those around. And it's fed by DJs that know what sort of music they thrive on.

If even a representative 20 of the hundreds of people that spend most of their time dancing in the main room came and started dancing in the blues room the way they do in the main room, it would completely ruin it, and deprive those that live for the blues room of their reason for going to Southport in the first place.

Personally, I usually prefer blues room music - end of story - I don't see how that depends on competence.

Perhaps soon this association with elitism will be gotten over (maybe a historical curiosity), and there will be a named for what it is 'elite' room.

Beowulf
22nd-September-2006, 12:06 AM
I left early on Tuesday not because of any "inner voice" I mistimed a spin or something and collided with my partner for that dance.. The scowl on her face for the rest of the dance (my last dance for the evening) was more than enough to tell me it was time to go home.

Sometimes I don't need in internal voice.. the external ones are loud enough

DavidY
22nd-September-2006, 12:50 AM
Were there any Blues Workshops at Southport?I think this is a relevant question.

Joseph and Tricia did a class at 2300 on Friday night called Dance the Blues. It was a choreographed routine, and from what I could remember, not all of it could be led in freestyle (I remember it started with the guys beating their chests for instance). I can't remember but there may have been 3 moves (??) that you could take to the Blues Room. I joined a few minutes late so missed the very start, but I didn't see any "general theory of blues" taught.

Marc and Rachel taught Cuban Blues on Sunday - I didn't do this but from past experience of their Cuban Blues classes they tend to be different to the "Ceroc with cuddles" type of blues.

So overall if you wanted to learn to dance blues, the classes weren't particularly helpful.

And I do want to learn- I'm not a natural Blues dances, and probably dance too many fast moves for LL's liking. However I do dance to the music and try and dance considerately of others - it's just that I "hear" times in a given record when I should move fast (always within the beat so I guess I dance double speed at that point)?

Minnie M
22nd-September-2006, 12:57 AM
..... Simply feel the music and dance :yeah: ...........
No lessons required. Practice makes perfect:clap: :clap:
:yeah: don't know what all the fuss is about :really:
Personally (IMHO) it is the music that is denotes the blues, the dancing should come naturally, it's what they did in the 20's and 30's in Harlem - totally agree with Mr. Cool - have some rep :flower:

BTW DavidY you are great in interpretting the music, one of the best - however you need to hear the music as being slow and sexy first for blues dancing

Juju
22nd-September-2006, 01:00 AM
I even had a couple of minor feet collisions, to my utmost embarassment.

Yes, I believe you trod on me... :wink:

God only knows if I dance bluesy - I just do what I do.

... and you do it very well. :flower:

Lynn
22nd-September-2006, 01:00 AM
And I do want to learn- I'm not a natural Blues dances, and probably dance too many fast moves for LL's liking. However I do dance to the music and try and dance considerately of others - it's just that I "hear" times in a given record when I should move fast (always within the beat so I guess I dance double speed at that point)?I've had lovely dances in the blues room with you David as have many others.:flower: You are expressing the music. You don't have to go into 'blues hold' and do the slow sway to dance in the blues room because much of the music isn't just 'blues dance' music. (Though I managed to have a dance like that to an entire track in the main room and it definitely wasn't a blues track!:rofl: But it suited the moment and still worked.)

Its often the control of speed, fast and slow, as the music calls for it, that makes it a good dance.

Cruella
22nd-September-2006, 08:04 AM
Problem is I'd like to Dance the blues / Slow MJ but I just don't understand it. . I just used to hold her close and move as I wanted, adding little bits here and there. No problems,
That's all you need to do! Just add in a bit of confidence and some close sexy eye contact. A good imagination helps too, with some partners.:whistle:
Just try it and see if you manage any knee trembling dances!

.. more blue workshops

Ooh, i'm not sure you're on the right forum Hun! :innocent:

Yliander
22nd-September-2006, 08:20 AM
I left early on Tuesday not because of any "inner voice" I mistimed a spin or something and collided with my partner for that dance.. The scowl on her face for the rest of the dance (my last dance for the evening) was more than enough to tell me it was time to go home.

Sometimes I don't need in internal voice.. the external ones are loud enoughAnd sometimes the external voices should be ignored. Once miss timed spin and a mild collision doesn't warrent a scowlling face for the rest of the dance! unless there was blood or unconciousness.....

accidents happen - and unless the other partner has done something very dangerous to cause the accident or one is really hurt - the correct response is an apology a chuckle and on with the dance

straycat
22nd-September-2006, 08:45 AM

...but this is just the kind of thing I was talking about... we all have incidents like this - everyone makes mistakes - so apologise, dust yourselves off, and go for the next dance.

This kind of thing doesn't just happen in dance - it's part of life. It's how you choose to deal with it that makes the difference...

Sometimes I don't need in internal voice.. the external ones are loud enough

The voice saying 'go home' was internal. She might have scowled at you, but you're the one who chose to interpret it that way. I think you take these knocks far too personally and seriously :( :hug:

Juju
22nd-September-2006, 09:04 AM
If people cannot dance in time to the music, keep to their own space and have regard to the other dancers on the floor, then they have no place in the blues room. The blues room is small, and quite apart from anything else, does not have room for even one or two couples spoiling things for others.

If people watch those in the blues room, feel inferior and therefore excluded, and then label others as elitist or cliquey, it's just the same old "I feel bad about not being good enough, so I'm going to blame other people rather than find a way of becoming good enough."

As I say, get over it.

The more I think about it the more vehemently I disagree with you. A polite reminder for you that Southport is a "Jive Addiction" weekend - yes, Modern Jive. A place for the "jive addicted" to go and feed their addiction for a whole weekend. The fact that they have a small room, called a Blues room, is immaterial. Modern Jive, by its very nature, is inclusive and accessible, hence the broad range of talent and skill on show. I could maybe understand this kind of elitism if you were, in fact, attending a "Blues" weekender at a specifically "Blues" venue, but you're not are you? And since so much of what is played in the "Blues" room isn't, and so much of what is danced in the "Blues" room isn't either, it seems dafter than ever to get snotty about who should/shouldn't be allowed to strut their stuff within its hallowed portals.

Personally I demand the right to get stuck in and have a go wherever and whenever I like - I paid to get in just like everyone else. And if I screw up, I usually laugh like a drain - which no doubt ruins the atmosphere for all the precious folks who've earmarked the room as their own (could explain that wet patch, I suppose....).

I love the Blues room, love almost all the music played in there, and I think I'm a reasonably good dancer, when all's said and done. I did dance with one chap in there a couple of times over the weekend, new to dancing, bit nervous, not the greatest dancer in the world - not yet anyway - and a charming bloke who gave it his best shot. If you object to people like that using the facilities then you need to get over yourself.

Disclaimer: I have been wondering whether your entire posting was, in fact, intended to be ironic, in which case I apologise profusely. :rolleyes:

clevedonboy
22nd-September-2006, 09:14 AM
(could explain that wet patch, I suppose....).

& :yeah: for the rest of the stuff about everybody pays the same

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-September-2006, 10:00 AM
Pure supposition on my part, I admit, but: I get the distinct impression that the people who complain about floorcraft on the various threads form a very small, very distinct group. (Less politely: it's always the same names complaining, whatever the venue.) Is this because they're the only ones who get "bumped"? Are they the only ones who get bothered by it? Perhaps they have been singled out to be pursued from venue to venue by an elite secret clique of bumpers and throwers specially trained to dance in a dangerous manner -as penance for sins in past lives.

What's going on?

straycat
22nd-September-2006, 10:06 AM
What's going on?

We could tell you. But then we'd have to collide with you a lot...

(and there's a waiting-list)

Chef
22nd-September-2006, 10:33 AM
After having a nights sleep and a drive into work to ponder this thread it seems to me that it just comes down to a question of space and floorcraft.

No matter what sort of dancing you do or where you do it then as the place gets more crowded then the level of floorcraft needs to rise. I have been dancing at Camber in most horrendously crowded conditions and not been bumped and I have danced in rural venues that look desserted and been bashed into by people that seem to have travelled great distances across the floor for the opportunity. It seems that the people that reguarly dance in the least crowded venues have the least reason for learning good floorcraft. When these people encounter a crowded venue like a weekender or a London venue then they have to learn floorcraft real quick.

Being bashed into by people who are not able to control either their own or their partners dancing isn't fun, but I see it as one of those unfortunate things that just happens from time to time. Each time it happens we all learn a little how to aviod it happening in the future. Even the FEAR of being crashed into by a nearby couple who seem wildy out of control or oblivious can destroy the enjoyment of a dance for all the couples around them even if no crash actually occurs.

Over that last weekend at Southport I had load of people tell me how fab the blues room was in the saturday and sunday afternoons and the monday morning. The complaints seem to be all about the 9pm to 2am slots. Could it simply be that the bad times are overcrowded and the good times are much less so, and overcrowding magnifies even the smallest errors in floorcraft?

It has long been my tactic at weekenders to sleep for 3-4 hours during the early evening so that I could get to the dance floor about midnight and hopefully avoid the early evening crush.

David Bailey
22nd-September-2006, 12:09 PM
Perhaps they have been singled out to be pursued from venue to venue by an elite secret clique of bumpers and throwers
Oi! They're not a clique, they're open and inclusive and welcoming to new members. And if you even attempt to say otherwise, you'll be On Their List...

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-September-2006, 12:22 PM
Oi! They're not a clique, they're open and inclusive and welcoming to new members. And if you even attempt to say otherwise, you'll be On Their List...Question is, who's organising them? It must be the sub-committee of The Ten, the one responsible for discipline...

MartinHarper
22nd-September-2006, 12:23 PM
... I could maybe understand this kind of elitism if you were, in fact, attending a "Blues" weekender at a specifically "Blues" venue...

Are there any specifically blues weekenders or venues in the UK?
(I tried a web search, but only found a few workshops and some stuff in the US)

spindr
22nd-September-2006, 12:40 PM
You could try asking on the Blues dance (http://www.bluesdance.org.uk) forum?

I think Nigel and Nina (http://www.jumpnjive.co.uk) organise a blues w/shop every January. See also Blues bug (http://www.bluesbug.co.uk).

SpinDr

Lou
22nd-September-2006, 12:50 PM
Question is, who's organising them? It must be the sub-committee of The Ten, the one responsible for discipline...
That'll definitely be Ethel, then.

And as far as your floorcraft theory - could you be so kind as to corrolate your findings of specific dancers vs. the layout of venues that thy're complaining about... I have the inklings of a theory that floor layout and lighting is significant when it comes to floorcraft.

ducasi
22nd-September-2006, 12:52 PM
In Scotland Dance Demon runs "Red Hot and Blue" in Edinburgh, and TiggerBabe runs "Smooth Grooves" tea dances, normally attached to Franck's "Focus On..." workshops in Stirling.

Both are more latin/blues than just blues, but neither are what you would call mainstream.

I think they're both fab. :)

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-September-2006, 01:01 PM
And as far as your floorcraft theory - could you be so kind as to corrolate your findings of specific dancers vs. the layout of venues that thy're complaining about... I have the inklings of a theory that floor layout and lighting is significant when it comes to floorcraft.I don't have a theory, and I'm sure I've never been to half these venues so I can't really help.

I suspect you're right though - the 8 foot pit in the middle of the floor combined with the total absence of visible light might have a bearing on the number of collisions in the average blues room.

fletch
22nd-September-2006, 01:06 PM
Question is, who's organising them? the one responsible for discipline...

That must be Fraya then :rolleyes:

You should have seen her crack that whip on Saturday at SP :eek:

Chef
22nd-September-2006, 01:43 PM

Check out http://www.bluesrevolution.co.uk They are having two days of blues workshops in london over the weekend of 14/15th Oct. The same teacher (http://solomondouglas.com/) from the US is also going to be teaching the same blues dance course at sheffield on the following weekend hosted by a group called Lindy infusion (http://www.lindyinfusion.com/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&Itemid=&agid=24&year=2006&month=10&day=21).

Clive Long
22nd-September-2006, 02:32 PM
Check out http://www.bluesrevolution.co.uk etc ...
Can we please have the post above framed?

It contains useful, dance-related information in response to a sensible dance question. What is the Forum coming to?

I'll have to go and lie down. I feel quite dizzy after reading that (although what Dizzy thinks ... )

Wodge

fletch
22nd-September-2006, 02:41 PM
I feel dizzy

Is that appropriate behaviour :eek:

spindr
22nd-September-2006, 03:13 PM
The same teacher (http://solomondouglas.com/) from the US is also going to be teaching the same blues dance course at sheffield on the following weekend hosted by a group called Lindy infusion (http://www.lindyinfusion.com/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&Itemid=&agid=24&year=2006&month=10&day=21).
Doesn't look like thats happening? http://www.bluesdance.info/viewtopic.php?t=305

SpinDr

Chef
22nd-September-2006, 03:54 PM
Doesn't look like thats happening? http://www.bluesdance.info/viewtopic.php?t=305

SpinDr

Sorry for giving out duff information. I checked at the respective websites just before posting and saw no information about the event(s) being cancelled (I still have no information as to wether the London event has or has not been cancelled).

My partner booked a holiday that means I would miss both workshop weekends and the Rebel Yell. I am now trying to look on the brighter side and hope that the blues workshops will be rescheduled of a later weekend that I can attend.

Gav
22nd-September-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd LIKE to learn blues.. it's never taught in a normal class. Blues workshops are few and far between and usually when one comes up it's too far away or too expensive or on a date I can't manage (*or all of the above)

I felt exactly the same Beo, and on top of that even if you're a blues master, around here the DJ's won't play the slower songs more than once a night (if you're lucky) because they have to consider the larger audience.
I was lucky though, I found a lady who also wanted to learn and was comfortable doing the closer contact moves. She bought the DVD's and we got together out of lessons to learn from them.
It's still not great, so when I hear a slow enough song I'll grab her for a dance, but I wouldn't ask just anyone and it is once in a blue moon (actually that'd be a good song to dance to! :D ).
So grab a lady off the singletons sofa and stick your favourite Jools Holland CD on!

MartinHarper
22nd-September-2006, 05:07 PM
Around here the DJ's won't play the slower songs more than once a night (if you're lucky) because they have to consider the larger audience.

It's entirely possible to "blues" dance to standard Ceroc tempos.

straycat
22nd-September-2006, 05:14 PM

SpinDr

We spoke to Keith a couple of days ago - it is happening, but with an alternative teacher. We're still planning to go.

CJ
22nd-September-2006, 05:38 PM
That must be Fraya then :rolleyes:

You should have seen her crack that whip on Saturday at SP :eek:

That was fine.. it was when she whipped my crack that it went downhill..:eek: :rofl:

Gav
22nd-September-2006, 06:15 PM
It's entirely possible to "blues" dance to standard Ceroc tempos.

I think that may be a little beyond my skills at the moment. :tears:

Lynn
22nd-September-2006, 09:57 PM
It's entirely possible to "blues" dance to standard Ceroc tempos.Tempos yes, because its not just about the tempo of the song. OK, I don't have all the technical terms, so slap me, but its all the 'interesting' bits in the music that you need. (And yes, I know, you can find interesting things in songs that are a bit more hidden, but as a follower I am somewhat limited in what I can do with them if my partner isn't hearing them.)

MartinHarper
23rd-September-2006, 01:27 AM
I think that may be a little beyond my skills at the moment. :tears:

Try it.
When dancing blues to slightly faster music, don't make the mistake of doing everything you would be doing to slower music, but much faster. That probably won't work so well. Rather, keep dancing at the same speed you'd be dancing to slower music, but in a way that fits the music being played. That probably means that you won't be doing something on every single beat of the music. That's fine.

fletch
23rd-September-2006, 08:55 AM
That was fine.. it was when she whipped my crack that it went downhill..:eek: :rofl:

WOW! I wish I had seen that :wink:

:D

Yogi_Bear
24th-September-2006, 10:28 PM
Congratulations, you can already dance "blues". Next weekender, go to the blues room and do that for a couple of hours. You'll fit right in.
I couldn't agree more.

fletch
25th-September-2006, 09:09 AM
And I do want to learn- I'm not a natural Blues dances, and probably dance too many fast moves for LL's liking. However I do dance to the music and try and dance considerately of others - it's just that I "hear" times in a given record when I should move fast (always within the beat so I guess I dance double speed at that point)?

Hi David :flower:

Thank you for the dances at Stockport on Saturday, gosh I thought we were never going to any slow tunes :sick:

I'm not sure it was me you were scared of,:wink: I completely understand if it is, our dances were lovely but you just seemed to miss the point....hey but i'm no expert. :what:
The blues seem to be U C and P and I think that's what you have a problem with, not the moves or the speed.

I remember June 2005 at Southport I had loads of fantastic dances with three guys over the weekend, and I felt sure they would ask me for my telephone number, but they didn't I was gutted,:sad: I later discussed the situation with an experienced dancer, and he asked what was the conversation at the end of each dance, I said there comments were 'thank you very much that was lovely' no other chat, well not much anyway. He explained that what I had experienced was a connection with my partner but when the dance ends that's it, unless its taken further with chats, its just about understanding the dance, at that point my attitude changed I now relies that just because you have had a wonderfully sexy dance it doesn't mean your partner want's to go to bed with you. :innocent:

I think when you realise that its just about the dance, you will relax and not be so embarrassed.:flower:

You are a lovely dancer :hug:

MartinHarper
12th-January-2007, 01:19 AM
Don't let them fool you. It's just Ceroc with cuddles.

I thought this comment was worth restating as people consider whether they are "worthy" to attend Utopia.

tiger
12th-January-2007, 07:21 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: