PDA

View Full Version : Quick or slow back to back?

Gav
19th-September-2006, 02:10 PM
I know there's no right or wrong answer, I'm interested in what you're personal preference is for this one.

I think the "double handed back to back" is a "classic move" so you should all know what I'm talking about.

I've seen it done (and taught) as both a quick move where you spend 3 beats back to back and a slow move where the back to back part is done over many more beats with lots of wiggling as you change sides.

The question is, do you leader and followers have any preference?
Does it depend on the music?
Or maybe the person you're dancing with?

robd
19th-September-2006, 02:26 PM
I used to do this a lot then stopped (moves tend to drop in and out of repertoire) and tried to remember how to do it again a couple of weeks back and it took me ages to remember :blush: To answer your question, I have only ever done it as a fast move and not seen it done slowly (not that I have been looking for it)

I wonder if you might mean the All Around the world which is often done more slowly for maximum wiggle/bum contact time ?

TheTramp
19th-September-2006, 02:44 PM

Always!

That too.

(NB. The actual move is unimportant!)

David Bailey
19th-September-2006, 02:56 PM
I know there's no right or wrong answer, I'm interested in what you're personal preference is for this one.

I think the "double handed back to back" is a "classic move" so you should all know what I'm talking about.
Err.... :blush:

I've seen it done (and taught) as both a quick move where you spend 3 beats back to back and a slow move where the back to back part is done over many more beats with lots of wiggling as you change sides.

The question is, do you leader and followers have any preference?
If it's the move I'm thinking of (girl's hand behind her back, half-nelson twisty-out-to-face move), then my preference is to do it, well, never.

It's a scary move, it can cause damage, and it's too, I dunno, Ceroc-y for me.

I wonder if you might mean the All Around the world which is often done more slowly for maximum wiggle/bum contact time ?
If that's the StraightJacket, that used to be my Favouritest Ever Move - but not so much now, it's too complicated for the new Simple DJ. :)

bigdjiver
19th-September-2006, 03:56 PM

I think the "double handed back to back" is a "classic move" so you should all know what I'm talking about...
I do a back-to-back move in which we ought to wiggle down together. It finishes with the lady being nudged away with my backside. As an UCP move I rarely use it, and when I do first time it is always quickly, and as a novelty semi-joke. It is a love-hate move, with the predominant verdict "hate". If the lady likes then slo-oo-oo-ow.

clevedonboy
19th-September-2006, 05:10 PM
and it's too, I dunno, Ceroc-y for me.

Interestingly (or not maybe) it's based on a Lindy Hop move. In the variation I know, you end up facing away from each other (not back to back but offset) for only 4 musical beats (2 MJ beats) in which time you get a 1/4 to 1/2 turn going and a rock step leading to an interesting free spin for the lady (let go with the left and lead the spin with the right which is behind the lady's back)

Gav
19th-September-2006, 05:55 PM
Not sure if this'll clarify, or just confuse things even more, but my scribbled notes say:

1. Start 2 handed
2. Raise both hands & turn the lady acw as you swap sides
3. Both turn 1/4 cw as man pulls on right hand and raise hands over heads
4. Both step to left, lowering both hands (both into left hand 1/2 nelson)
5. Release right hand, step to right, straighten left hand and prepare
6. pull back with left into spin.

The other version involves step 3/4 taking several beats as you both wiggle slowly to the left.

:confused:

ducasi
19th-September-2006, 07:26 PM
I call this move either the "double-handed return back-to-back and spin" (which is a bit of a mouthful) or the "archer's move" (as the bit from the return into the back to back is a bit like an archer drawing his bow (or maybe that's only left-handed archers?))

It's from this move that I created the "ducasi comb" (which I also call the "archer's comb".)

Anyway, I rather like the move, but I'd only use it with fast music. Don't think I've ever tried it slow...

bigdjiver
19th-September-2006, 10:52 PM
Not sure if this'll clarify, or just confuse things even more, but my scribbled notes say:

1. Start 2 handed
2. Raise both hands & turn the lady acw as you swap sides
3. Both turn 1/4 cw as man pulls on right hand and raise hands over heads
4. Both step to left, lowering both hands (both into left hand 1/2 nelson)
5. Release right hand, step to right, straighten left hand and prepare
6. pull back with left into spin.

The other version involves step 3/4 taking several beats as you both wiggle slowly to the left.

:confused:Thanks.
The move I was talking about:
R to R
Lead offers left hand behind back in Nelson position
As Follower takes it Lead raises Right over head and wraps follower in behind.
Wiggle, wiggle, descending together.Rise, let go, nudge away with backside.