PDA

View Full Version : South Kensington or Marylebone Chimes

Birlmeister
13th-September-2006, 07:11 PM
Please help.

I'm going flying out from Gatwick on 14 October so thought, as I'm travelling down the day before (Fri 13th), I'd combine it with a night dancing in London but looking at what's on I found there are 2 venues. Would appreciate help in making up my mind as to which venue to go to.

WittyBird
13th-September-2006, 08:06 PM
Please help.

I'm going flying out from Gatwick on 14 October so thought, as I'm travelling down the day before (Fri 13th), I'd combine it with a night dancing in London but looking at what's on I found there are 2 venues. Would appreciate help in making up my mind as to which venue to go to.

Ashtons is best bet, Casbah is pants. You could try Chimes Our very own Groovy Dancer teaches there on a Friday :D

David Bailey
13th-September-2006, 10:03 PM
Ashtons is best bet, Casbah is pants. You could try Chimes Our very own Groovy Dancer teaches there on a Friday :D
Ashtons is a bugger to get back from though, if you don't know the place, I wouldn't wish being in Cricklewood on a Friday night on anyone. :sick:

Casbah (Kensington) is, well, unique... :)

If you're looking for forumite presence there, CeeCee and occasionally Lindyloo are at Cashbah - dunno who does the class as it changes every week - sometimes Mike Ellard, sometimes others.

Minnie M
13th-September-2006, 10:22 PM
Ashtons is a bugger to get back from though, if you don't know the place, I wouldn't wish being in Cricklewood on a Friday night on anyone. :sick:

Casbah (Kensington) is, well, unique... :)

If you're looking for forumite presence there, CeeCee and occasionally Lindyloo are at Cashbah - dunno who does the class as it changes every week - sometimes Mike Ellard, sometimes others.
:yeah: I agree
Ashtons is possibly the better bet, but on a Friday it is a pain to get to for some of us :tears: I would go if was easier :sad:

Everyone should go to the Casbah at least once, it is where it all began for lots of us and if you get Mike :worthy: teaching you will definitely not be disappointed and it is so easy to find and get to. (dip dip etc)

frodo
14th-September-2006, 01:02 AM
Ashtons is a bugger to get back from though, if you don't know the place, I wouldn't wish being in Cricklewood on a Friday night on anyone.

The railway station is just around the corner, the bus stops are even nearer and the buses frequent. As far as I'm concerned its a good location.

:yeah: I agree
Ashtons is possibly the better bet, but on a Friday it is a pain to get to for some of us :tears: I would go if was easier :sad: ...

Personally I'm envious of the train route from Brighton to Cricklewood. I'd go lots if I lived around Brighton.

Minnie M
14th-September-2006, 07:23 AM
........Personally I'm envious of the train route from Brighton to Cricklewood. I'd go lots if I lived around Brighton.
:confused: really
To get to Cricklewood, would mean a bus to Brighton Station, a train to Victoria and a tube ride to Cricklewood - on a Friday evening :eek: no thank you

I drive everywhere - I hate train travel, avoid it as much as I can

By the way, how often to you come to Brighton :whistle: we have lots going on here too AND on the day mentioned we have pre comp BritRock at Hove Town Hall

El Salsero Gringo
14th-September-2006, 07:37 AM
To get to Cricklewood, would mean a bus to Brighton Station, a train to Victoria and a tube ride to Cricklewood - on a Friday evening :eek: no thank you
There are no tubes to Cricklewood - strictly overground trains. Brighton to Cricklewood is an hour and a half to two hours (depending on timings), with a single change at Kings Cross (Thameslink).

Minnie M
14th-September-2006, 08:06 AM
There are no tubes to Cricklewood - strictly overground trains. Brighton to Cricklewood is an hour and a half to two hours (depending on timings), with a single change at Kings Cross (Thameslink).
Thank you for the info, however it you guys think travelling from or to Brighton by train I can't understand why we haven't had many (if any) of you lot coming down our way :whistle:

We DO occasionally have good dances, and Viktor was teaching at the King Alfred every Friday for a couple of years and that was good - how many of you lot came :rolleyes:

Don't blame you - train travel (IMO) sucks - not the journey that's fine, but getting to the train, waiting for a train, sitting on the train when there is hold ups, the changes you have to make and schlapping your stuff around.

For very long journeys they are fine, however, trust me if you lived in Brighton you wouldn't want to take the last train home :really:

under par
14th-September-2006, 08:20 AM
The railway station is just around the corner, the bus stops are even nearer and the buses frequent. As far as I'm concerned its a good location.

Personally I'm envious of the train route from Brighton to Cricklewood. I'd go lots if I lived around Brighton.

I don't know which Cricklewood you are talking about!!!:confused:

The one I know in North London is an absolute pig to get to from Brighton/Sussex.

Its only the promise of late night freestyling that draws us up there.

Its never been less than 2 hours drive, and as for your comic suggestion that a train journey from South coast to north London is something to be envious of ...... well my ghast is flabbered:eek: :eek:

A train from Brighton arrives at Victoria or Waterloo... then its tube to somewhere across town to Kings X then train again.

And just how many trains are there returning fron YOUR Cricklewood at 0230 in the morning to Brighton??

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 08:39 AM
And just how many trains are there returning fron YOUR Cricklewood at 0230 in the morning to Brighton??
Having occasionally been at Cricklewood at 2.30am in the morning, I think it's safe to say I'd take any train going anywhere out of there... Frankly, the place is a dump.

Ashtons is fine if you're close, and if you can drive, but if you're relying on public transport, you'll have to miss out on that last 1.5 hours or so.

Casbah is much better if you're in London, it finishes earlier, and the transport links are better. Although parking around Kensington is a pain - like everywhere in West London, of course.

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 08:41 AM
The one I know in North London is an absolute pig to get to from Brighton/Sussex.
Out of interest, which way do you go? M25 then A41?

under par
14th-September-2006, 08:48 AM
Out of interest, which way do you go? M25 then A41?

Ive tried a variety of routes... A23 up through town..... A24 A3 up through town.... M25 M4 and turn left somewhere near ?? Even gone to the East via M25 and crossed London norf of the river ....

There is NO good route !! I resign myself to a long drive albeit with the knowledge there will be 3 to 4 hours freestyle awaiting me.

My rule of thumb is the freestyle time should exceed the drive to make it worth it..... (except Jango.. Monday Meltdown of course!)

SteveK
14th-September-2006, 10:50 AM
Please help.

I've just checked the CerocLondon diary on the website, and there doesn't seem to be an Ashtons night on Friday 13th. :sad:

I've been to Chimes several times - fairly small but quite friendly. Didn't enjoy the Casbah that much on the one time I went there; I seemed to have more refusals than usual there (for no particular reason).

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 12:05 PM
I've just checked the CerocLondon diary on the website, and there doesn't seem to be an Ashtons night on Friday 13th. :sad:
Well, that rules that out then :) - Blimey, there's always someone who stops an argument with trivial facts like that, typical...

As for getting to Ashtons:

Ive tried a variety of routes... A23 up through town..... A24 A3 up through town....
Don't go through town :eek:

I M25 M4 and turn left somewhere near ??
That'll be through Chiswick and Ealing - that part of the North Circular (up to Hanger Lane) is usually busy as it goes down to 1 lane ( :rolleyes: ).

I can't help you in getting to the M25, but if you keep going round it past the M4 turnoff, you could leave the M25 at Junction 16, then take the M40 / A40 in. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to the Hanger Lane gyratory from the M25, then probably another 10-15 mins to Ashtons from there.

Unfortunately, the NW section of the M25 is very busy on a Friday, probably until at least 7.30 - 8pm. If you aimed to get there around 8 - 8.30, it'd probably be OK though.

(If the M25 were going really well, you could even go round to the M1 then head in, but it's never going that well, and that's another 20 miles I reckon.)

Birlmeister
14th-September-2006, 12:35 PM
London & surrounds is virgin territory for me. Have only been to Blackpool for UK champs. Would need to say that I'm staying at the Travel Lodge at Gatwick so need to mindful of return train times.

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 01:49 PM
London & surrounds is virgin territory for me. Have only been to Blackpool for UK champs. Would need to say that I'm staying at the Travel Lodge at Gatwick so need to mindful of return train times.
Hmmm.... Gatwick's actually a fair way from London proper.

From the Gatwick Express website (http://www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/), it looks like the last train to Gatwick is just after midnight from Victoria. As Victoria is only 2 tube stops from South Ken, I reckon Casbah's your best bet in London.

Twirly
14th-September-2006, 01:59 PM
A tip on the use of the Gatwick Express - it's darned expensive, and the local trains take about 5 minutes longer and cost alot less.

I'm probably going to the Casbah tomorrow for the first time in ages. I'll try and remember to post something about what it's like, though I doubt that it'll be typical due to the mass exodus to Southport.

CeeCee
14th-September-2006, 06:47 PM
Excuse me while I don my virtual helmet, flak jacket and boots before single handedly going into battle to defend the Casbah (yet again).

"Ladies and Gentlemen please take your seats for the next few moments I believe the stage is mine."

In Praise of the Casbah

I've been asked many times why I go to the Casbah. The answer is simply because I like it. I'm not going to rant on about the classes, teachers, the demos, the taxi dancers, the music, the DJs, the floor, the drinks prices, the heat, the blah, the blah, the blah. We all know what makes a good/bad venue.

I feel fortunate because I know a lot of lovely people. I feel fortunate because when I go dancing I enjoy the company of lovely, lovely people and I have lots of lovely, lovely, lovely dances.

Some of the nicest people I have ever met have been at the Casbah. Some of the most enjoyable dance experiences I've had have been at the Casbah. I don't know why or care why, I'm just lucky I guess.

originally posted by SteveK
Didn't enjoy the Casbah that much on the one time I went there...
That's a shame and I wouldn't go if I didn't enjoy it either.

originally posted by DavidJames
... Although parking around Kensington is a pain...
Parking is easy peasy. Cromwell Road has lots of room on both sides on the single red line after 7pm. There are plenty of spaces at the Cromwell Road end of Queen's Gate (down the centre) from 6.30. Couldn't be easier.

originally posted by Minnie M
Everyone should go to the Casbah at least once...
Perhaps so that they can come to their own conclusions.

I've lost count of the number of people who tell me (really enjoy telling me) that they have never been or won't go because they've heard something or other.
I've heard all sorts of things too but I just don't get it, I just don't see it, I have no problem so I just keep going.

originally posted by DavidJames
Casbah (Kensington) is, well, unique...

If you're looking for forumite presence there...
Interestingly enough, lots of forumites go there but don't advertise it. I feel like I'm sworn to secrecy to save their reputation or embarrassment.

When Ashtons or Hipsters is on I invariably pop along to the Casbah first and it's a great way to start my weekend.

I tried a new tango class one Friday in Holborn and after the class I raced across town to catch the last three tracks at the Casbah. It was more than worth the effort because the music and the dances were awesome.

originally posted by Twirly
I'm probably going to the Casbah tomorrow for the first time in ages. I'll try and remember to post something about what it's like, though I doubt that it'll be typical due to the mass exodus to Southport.
I've so much more to say and so little time. Just one thing you may like to know Twirly, the classes are more often men over. How bad is that?

Shame I'm going to miss it, hope you have a super time.

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 08:06 PM
[COLOR="Navy"]Excuse me while I don my virtual helmet, flak jacket and boots before single handedly going into battle to defend the Casbah (yet again).
That's your Southport outfit? :na:

Interestingly enough, lots of forumites go there but don't advertise it. I feel like I'm sworn to secrecy to save their reputation or embarrassment.
"Casbah - the Guilty Secret of Ceroc" :rofl:

WittyBird
14th-September-2006, 08:34 PM
Shame I'm going to miss it, hope you have a super time.

Not a shame really if you admit it :rolleyes: The place stinks, it's full of *gags self and returns to cupboard*

frodo
14th-September-2006, 08:53 PM
Hmmm.... Gatwick's actually a fair way from London proper.

From the Gatwick Express website (http://www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/), it looks like the last train to Gatwick is just after midnight from Victoria. As Victoria is only 2 tube stops from South Ken, I reckon Casbah's your best bet in London.There is no last train to Gatwick, as long as you're not dead set on the Gatwick express (see Twirly's post).

From either Cricklewood or Victoria (different) direct trains to Gatwick are never less than hourly through the night.

To get to Cricklewood, would mean a bus to Brighton Station..I assumed driving as far as a suitable station. One option would be to drive as far as Three Bridges (nr Crawley), or Gatwick ( assuming the bad congestion was though the London area ) - best one of the stations with a full 24hr service in any case.

I don't know which Cricklewood you are talking about!!!:confused: ...

A train from Brighton arrives at Victoria or Waterloo... then its tube to somewhere across town to Kings X then train again.

There is the 02:38 from Cricklewood, though you'd have to wait around for an hour at an interchange station somewhere (because Brighton doesn't have a full 24hr service).

ESG covered the "ThamesLink", no tube, no Victoria, no Waterloo bit. At certain times trains even run direct to Brighton.

Minnie M
14th-September-2006, 09:02 PM
There is no last train to Gatwick, as long as you're not dead set on the Gatwick express (see Twirly's post).

From either Cricklewood or Victoria (different) direct trains to Gatwick are never less than hourly through the night.
I assumed driving as far as a suitable station. One option would be to drive as far as Three Bridges (nr Crawley), or Gatwick ( assuming the bad congestion was though the London area ) - best one of the stations with a full 24hr service in any case.

There is the 02:38 from Cricklewood, though you'd have to wait around for an hour at an interchange station somewhere (because Brighton doesn't have a full 24hr service).

ESG covered the "ThamesLink", no tube, no Victoria, no Waterloo bit. At certain times trains even run direct to Brighton.

Do you work for BR :innocent:

Why on earth would I want to go to Three Bridges or even Crawley :confused: it would only make the journey worse - I like Ashtons but not that much :whistle:

The only place I would contemplate going to by train would be the Cashbah, Brighton to Victoria and a tube to South Ken, it finishes early enough to get the last train back to Brighton ............ but it is just as easy to get there by car :rolleyes:

Well, have you been to Brighton lately ? You seem to have avoided that question :whistle:

Strange when people come to Brighton they always seem to want to stay the night :really:

frodo
15th-September-2006, 12:12 AM
Do you work for BR :innocent:
No, I think the train system sucks in so many ways (particularly anything run by the 'First' bus company).

It doesn't however follow that the option should be dismissed based on inadequate information or misunderstandings. I think it probably doesn't apply to you, but the thread does seem to show some level of misunderstandings on what is available.

Why on earth would I want to go to Three Bridges or even Crawley :confused: it would only make the journey worse - I like Ashtons but not that much :whistle:To avoid driving though the London area, while not being limited by last trains. The time on the train isn't dead time, or require the maintenance of alertness for safe driving.

The only place I would contemplate going to by train would be the Cashbah, Brighton to Victoria and a tube to South Ken, it finishes early enough to get the last train back to Brighton ............ but it is just as easy to get there by car :rolleyes:Fair enough. Personally I could get towards an hours more freestyle by going to Ashtons and still get the last train to Brighton. Given a strong reason to stay until the end the cost would be around 1:1 extra freestyle to waiting around at a suitable interchange railway station.

Well, have you been to Brighton lately ? You seem to have avoided that question :whistle:
:confused:By the way, how often to you come to Brighton :whistle: we have lots going on here too AND on the day mentioned we have pre comp BritRock at Hove Town HallSorry, I missed the question. I'm not sure it's relevant, but not for years, and at multi-year intervals.
BTW in case anyone is thinking of Ashton's that weekend - According to Ceroc London Ashtons doesn't appear to be on that weekend

I agree therefore the BritRock ball (and the 1am finish) is a nice option for that day from London, (even if limited to public transport).

Minnie M
15th-September-2006, 07:21 AM
....I agree therefore the BritRock ball (and the 1am finish) is a nice option for that day from London, (even if limited to public transport).
Some Brighton buses run nearly all night and BritRock is 5mins walk away from a main line station, the last train from Brighton to Victoria is fine as well.

Unfortunately the last train from Brighton to Victoria is what we call the 'milk train' which is (I think) about 3am and it is full of drunks and other undesireables - and it stops at most of the stations. OR the regular last train is at Midnight, which means we would have to leave Ashtons (to be safe) at 11:15 the latest :sad:

Thank you for the 'argument' but if you don't live in Brighton and dance regularly in London, you can't really comment. The fact that most of the people attending BritRock are staying overnight really says something.

BTW I will be at Woking on the 14th October :really: but I will be at the night before dance :clap:

Twirly
15th-September-2006, 04:39 PM
Sadly I won't be able to give a report on the Casbah tonight - am too tired to go. :tears: Have had a headache all day and feel very achey... hope I'm not sickening for something. :sick:

There's a bottle of wine and a nice comfy chair waiting for me at home instead... :grin:

Another time.

Beowulf
15th-September-2006, 06:30 PM
Have had a headache all day and feel very achey... hope I'm not sickening for something. :sick:.

Yup.. no point dancing your self ill.. I prescribe 20cc's of TLC to be washed down with that bottle of wine, a nice soppy Rom Com on DVD and a quiet night :) :hug:

FirstMove
18th-September-2006, 10:40 PM
I was really looking forward to being in London this weekend and going to Casbah and it's not on :tears:

Chimes is friendly enough, but hardly anyone seems to turn up :angry: