PDA

View Full Version : Flock theory?

Sparkles
12th-September-2006, 10:36 AM
A while back I was accused of being 'a sheep'... the person saying it was inferring I only went dancing where other dancers I know and like dancing with go.

Since this comment I have been thinking about whether or not there is any truth in it, and have decided that in some cases it is true and in some it isn't. For example: I'm much more likely to travel further to venues I don't normally go to if I know a large party of my friends will be there. On the other hand, however, I started going to certain venues long before they became 'fashionable' and still go to some of them today.

So what happens, then, when you go to a dancing venue for a long time and enjoy yourself, then it becomes 'fashionable' and lots of interesting dancers turn up and make the venue even better then it was, and then the venue is 'not quite so fashionable' anymore and, although you still enjoy dancing there you don't get the same buzz because lots of people have taken their dancing business elsewhere?
Do you follow the flock, be dubbed 'a sheep' and dance with the people you enjoy dancing with?
Do you remain loyal to the venue that has brought you so much happiness and hope that you can enjoy it more in the future?
Or do you give up dancing at a regular venue and bury yourself in a hole all week untill you can happily go to freestyles at the weekend?

I know, I know, the answer is do what you want to do and ignore everyone else... I was just curious to see if other people had experienced a similar thing?

TheTramp
12th-September-2006, 10:41 AM
Do you follow the flock, be dubbed 'a sheep' and dance with the people you enjoy dancing with?

To be honest, I don't really see why this would be a problem. Don't we all go to places where we know our friends will be there?

Twirly
12th-September-2006, 10:53 AM
To be honest, I don't really see why this would be a problem. Don't we all go to places where we know our friends will be there?

Er, no. It's only in the last few months that I've got to "know" a few people at Ceroc because no-one ever talks to anyone at my venues till you're known - which gives you the problem of how to get known.

The friends that I see dancing are friends from outside Ceroc who existed before I danced (my "recruits" :devil: ).

I'm lucky that this is now changing - both getting to know people at my local venue better (but so far mostly the guys) and getting to meet a few people on the forum.

However, it takes a long time for someone to become a friend - I have dancing acquaintances who are familiar faces. Count yourself luck if you have dancing friends.

straycat
12th-September-2006, 10:54 AM
I go where I go for various reasons:
Sometimes, like you, it's because there'll be people there I know & like dancing with, sometimes it might be to help support a venue, sometimes it might be a spur-of-the-moment decision...
Usually it's based on a balance of factors - eg how quickly can we get there, what's the music normally like, who usually goes, what's the venue like, how crowded does it get etc etc etc

I don't much care whether a venue is popular or 'fashionable' - and I certainly don't care in the slightest whether anyone else approves of where I go...

Who is this person to bestow their seal of approval / disapproval on your venue choices? (and where did they think you should be going instead, and why?)

TheTramp
12th-September-2006, 10:58 AM
Er, no. It's only in the last few months that I've got to "know" a few people at Ceroc because no-one ever talks to anyone at my venues till you're known - which gives you the problem of how to get known.

Move somewhere a little friendlier. Scotland's nice! :flower:

Twirly
12th-September-2006, 11:04 AM

I'm sure it is!

It's a bit better now - and anyway, now I've put in all that hard work... am going to capitalise on it. :D

Actually found out when I was on the boat bank holiday Monday that they all go for a drink after class on Wednesday - they were surprised that I didn't know/hadn't been. They just sort of assumed that everyone knew - I pointed out the error of their ways!

Now, must make sure that I've got some hangover cure in the office for Thursday morning... :devil:

So, in answer to Sparkles question - I go to dance, very little to do with who is going to be there since I won't know them anyway. But having said that, I do like it when I run into familiar faces :flower:

TheTramp
12th-September-2006, 11:06 AM
So, in answer to Sparkles question - I go to dance, very little to do with who is going to be there since I won't know them anyway. But having said that, I do like it when I run into familiar faces :flower:

That's now. And in a few months or so, when you do know people at dancing, and do have friends (or acquaintences) there. Then do you think that you'll go to dance with them? Not doing it because you don't have the opportunity isn't the same thing at all really....

Twirly
12th-September-2006, 11:09 AM
That's now. And in a few months or so, when you do know people at dancing, and do have friends (or acquaintences) there. Then do you think that you'll go to dance with them? Not doing it because you don't have the opportunity isn't the same thing at all really....

It might become a bigger influence - if I've got a choice of two venues and more people I know will be at one than the other, possibly. But I do alot of other stuff too, so my dancing fits in around other things too, such as what else I've got on that week and the distance to the venue.

robd
12th-September-2006, 11:26 AM
I always thought it was a herd of sheep. I know it's not (or at least Google tells me so) and if I was correct then 'While Shepherds watched their flocks by night' wouldn't make much sense. Maybe I am getting confused with the phrase 'herd mentality' which seems to get to the heart of the issue Sparkles is dealing with. Sorry I have nothing more useful to add to the debate at this point in time :blush:

drathzel
12th-September-2006, 11:34 AM

So is Northern Ireland.

Ok i cant be a sheep where i am, as i run both venues but when i venture outside Northern Ireland i tend to ask around and see where people are going and i guess flock with them. My reasons are one. because i dont get to see my friends very often and well i want to see them and dance with them and two. because when you are dancing outside your region you want to know where the music is good, the floor isnt sticky and the other numerous thing you normally pick when you go to a venue. The best way to find out the best or at least the better venues is by asking friends and acquaintances to suggest somewhere!

Lory
12th-September-2006, 11:43 AM
I always thought it was a herd of sheep. According to THIS (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kennel/collectives.htm) site, you can also say herd but there's also some very interesting terms I never knew about... like, a MOB of eals, a CHARM of finches, a SKULK of foxes, a LOVEINESS of ladybirds, a RHUMBA of rattlesnakes and A STENCH of Schnauzers

I'm not one to follow the Stench :wink:

Lou
12th-September-2006, 11:58 AM
I always thought it was a herd of sheep.
Heard of sheep? Of course I've heard of sheep. I'm Welsh. :wink:

Anyway, I've long made it a point to go dancing where Ethelâ„¢ goes.

At the moment, I'm deliberately dancing at non-fashionable venues, as I like a quiet life. I'm not fit enough or good enough to dance with hotshots right now, and I find the lower-key places friendlier and there's less pressure on.

Beowulf
12th-September-2006, 12:08 PM
I do tend to dance where I'm most comfortable.. that being where I know the most people.

I have of late been going to other nights (Still in Aberdeen but the Wednesday or Thursday classes instead/as well as my normal Tuesday classes.

I am also planning to venture into strange waters and plunge myself into the deep end dancing with people I've never met (other than in a virtual sense)

Besides.. I don't flock.. being a Wulf [sic] I roam in a Pack .. if one person can be called a Pack ;)

Sparkles
12th-September-2006, 12:10 PM
Besides.. I don't flock.. being a Wulf [sic] I roam in a Pack .. if one person can be called a Pack ;)

Maybe you're a Lone Wulf?

... Hmm, maybe someone should tell Drathzel? :what:

drathzel
12th-September-2006, 12:13 PM
Maybe you're a Lone Wulf?

... Hmm, maybe someone should tell Drathzel? :what:

:what: ummm, can someone help, i'm now confused i thought you were meant to be in london:confused:

:D

straycat
12th-September-2006, 12:17 PM
According to THIS (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kennel/collectives.htm) site, you can also say herd but there's also some very interesting terms I never knew about... like, a MOB of eals, a CHARM of finches, a SKULK of foxes, a LOVEINESS of ladybirds, a RHUMBA of rattlesnakes and A STENCH of Schnauzers

...and not forgetting a WUNCH of Bankers... :whistle:

Twirly
12th-September-2006, 12:26 PM

*starts to worry that Beo might have multiple personality disorder...* :devil:

Beowulf
12th-September-2006, 12:28 PM
...and not forgetting a WUNCH of Bankers... :whistle:

Hey.. I happen to know some very nice people in the Banking industry :mad: :grin:

*starts to worry that Beo might have multiple personality disorder...*

No we don't :whistle:

NZ Monkey
12th-September-2006, 12:37 PM
Do you follow the flock, be dubbed 'a sheep' and dance with the people you enjoy dancing with? I've got to agree with the Tramp here. What's wrong with going to the venues your friends are at? After all, they're our friends presumably because we enjoy spending time in each others company... If you get to do that while dancing, then that's just an extra bonus.

It's different when you're new to the scene and don't know anyone but after you've made a few friends you tend to get invited to the places they were planning on going to anyway. Unless all your dancing friends stop talking to each other about where they were going dancing (anyone care to place odds on how likely that is?) that will always be the case so it stands to reason that you'd usually wind up somewhere that you knew people. This is especially true if you're a great dancer who everyone likes :flower:

Maybe we should put it another way:
Would you go to a venue where you knew there wouldn't be any of your friends dancing but all of the smelly arm-yankers would be? I doubt the person called you a sheep would either....:whistle: :innocent:

Cruella
12th-September-2006, 12:41 PM
I'M A SHEEP and proud of it!

straycat
12th-September-2006, 12:45 PM
Hey.. I happen to know some very nice people in the Banking industry :mad: :grin:

You could always test their niceness by trying out that joke on them... :whistle:

No we don't :whistle:

Well - if you will keep turning up to venues in three different cars.... bit of a giveaway, that...

straycat
12th-September-2006, 12:46 PM
I'M A SHEEP and proud of it!

... in dalmation's clothing?

Twirly
12th-September-2006, 12:50 PM
You could always test their niceness by trying out that joke on them... :whistle:

*stares very hard at Stray* :rofl:

straycat
12th-September-2006, 01:00 PM
*stares very hard at Stray* :rofl:

You have such beautiful eyes :whistle:

Twirly
12th-September-2006, 01:05 PM
You have such beautiful eyes :whistle:

You're not getting out of it that easily! :devil: :rofl:

straycat
12th-September-2006, 01:12 PM
You're not getting out of it that easily! :devil: :rofl:

Out of what? Here. Have a pineapple...

Gadget
12th-September-2006, 01:14 PM
How do you get new freinds if you only go where your existing freinds are? Are you relying on people outside this group to join you? People who are not going where their freinds are. hmmm.....

I go where I will: If I know people there, so much the better. :D

Beowulf
12th-September-2006, 01:46 PM
yeah but going where your friends are gives you the confidence to meet other friends. not EVERYONE at a venue will be someone you know?

I mean I go to Culter mills. it's not the easiest place to get to.. considering I live round the corner from JJ's but I go there as that's where my friends are. It's not easy meeting people while dancing.. You dance, you get a new partner. You dance some more.. repeat until end of night.

I like going somewhere where I know some people and have a bit of rapport with them. Even come November when I'm down south I'm going somewhere where I know the people albeit only from the Forum.

I think a mix of both is best.. IMHO

Emma
12th-September-2006, 04:40 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about wallpaper....

Lynn
12th-September-2006, 04:53 PM
So is Northern Ireland. Have to agree, and not just because I dance there. I have known a lot of the crowd at Ceroc for years, and I know that about half the class all know each other socially outside of Ceroc. It would be easy for them to stick with the social crowd they already know and not mix - but that doesn't happen. People mix in and make new friendships and I hope as Ceroc in NI grows, that this 'culture' will remain.

Re the flock thing - I don't see what's wrong with wanting to go where your friends are going. And if a lot of people are going to a particular venue, it might just be because the organisers have 'got it right' in terms of mix of music, atmosphere etc, rather than any 'herd mentality'.

ducasi
12th-September-2006, 05:26 PM
For a class or a freestyle nearby, it doesn't really make a great deal of difference to me, though I still prefer to go to where I know I'll know folks.

For longer distances and longer events, having actual friends around makes a big difference.

Lory
12th-September-2006, 05:39 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to say to everyone going to Southport this weekend....

I hope you all have a 'flocking' good time! :D :cheers: :hug:

I expect Sheepy will be in his glory! :wink:

I look forward to reading all about it and seeing all the photo's next week :nice:

TheTramp
12th-September-2006, 05:44 PM
I look forward to reading all about it and seeing all the photo's next week :nice:

You're not coming???? :eek:

It won't be the same :tears:

Lory
12th-September-2006, 05:47 PM
You're not coming???? :eek:

Not this time but they'll be others ;)

It won't be the same :tears:

Aww thank you :hug:

jacksondonut
12th-September-2006, 06:20 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to say to everyone going to Southport this weekend....

I hope you all have a 'flocking' good time! :D :cheers: :hug:

I expect Sheepy will be in his glory! :wink:

I will miss you too Lory....:sad: :sad: I promise not to enjoy myself too much.... :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :whistle:

Really, though, will miss you loads, lovely lady.
Luv Jan
:hug: :hug: :hug:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-September-2006, 07:06 PM
Much better to be a donkey.

Andreas
12th-September-2006, 09:29 PM
Or do you give up dancing at a regular venue and bury yourself in a hole all week untill you can happily go to freestyles at the weekend?

And sometimes not even on weekends. :sick:

David Bailey
12th-September-2006, 10:06 PM
So what happens, then, when you go to a dancing venue for a long time and enjoy yourself, then it becomes 'fashionable' and lots of interesting dancers turn up and make the venue even better then it was, and then the venue is 'not quite so fashionable' anymore and, although you still enjoy dancing there you don't get the same buzz because lots of people have taken their dancing business elsewhere?
Blimey, that's what I call a long question :respect: :na:

What happens, is, you go where you'll enjoy yourself most. And I guess if you enjoy the social scene most, you go where that'll be better. If you enjoy the dance scene, then go where the dancing is.

I know, I know, the answer is do what you want to do and ignore everyone else...
Actually, no - although that is admittedly my approach. :)

You're half-right though - "do what you want to do", but only "ignore everyone else" if you want to. If you want to be with your friends most, then be with them - there's nothing wrong with that.

Nope. I was involved a bit in the social scene at Ceroc Central club in the early 90's, but I've spent over ten years quite happily going where I wanted, when I wanted, with zero consideration of who else would be going there.

Actually... I still do exactly that now :grin: .

Many others I know do exactly the same, and have been doing so for similar or greater amounts of time. It works for me, and it works for them. But it's not the only approach.

Honestly, the only problem is if you don't enjoy yourself - i.e. if you're going somewhere just because you think you "ought" to, and don't have a good time.

Sparkles, that doesn't sound like it's the case for you, so why worry?

jacksondonut
13th-September-2006, 01:08 PM
The answer is dead easy for me... seeing my friends, (some I can only see at dancing) is paramount to me... :flower: :flower: dancing is secondary (!):eek: (be shocked!) *yes I know that is a bit odd...*

So, I like to be where my friends are.. otherwise there would be a lot of people I would not be able to keep in contact with... :hug: :hug:

Admittedly, I have lost contact with a few people I knew from my early days, but every now and again I touch base with them too.. wherever they may be :flower:

NB when I first started dancing I went alone for quite a while before I made some friends... Boy, was it worth it. xx

whitetiger1518
13th-September-2006, 02:20 PM
I totally agree with you about it being worth while to go on your own.... I started on my own too, and I have quite a lot of dancing friends whom I would never have met if I chickened out of taking that first step through the class door.

:worthy: :clap: :clap:

Whitetiger

Gentabout
13th-September-2006, 02:49 PM
I go to the venue's that i enjoy firstly, if there are friends there that evening that is a massive bonus.

Sometimes there are nights that maybe you don't quite feel like going out especially after a hard day at work, but if i know there will be some friends at the venue i am more likely to go dancing.

Last Monday was a classic example, i had had a rough day in the office with staff problems, shipping companies and customs. When i got home all i wanted to do was open a bottle of red and forget about it all plus nursing a sore shoulder from saturdays dancing. But the thought of seeing some freindly faces and possibly getting to practice what i had learnt at the weekend motivated me to go out. Had i known there was no one to talk to i would not have gone. So my friends helped me in 2 ways that night, 1 that stopped me drinking my self silly, and 2 they improved my dancing, so a :love: :hug: to all those ladies.

Gent.