PDA

View Full Version : MS-Word - can't create Headers / Footers

Clive Long
11th-September-2006, 03:19 PM
Anyone?

I'm editing a document with sections to allow a mixture of portrait and landscape page layout. I have track changes on for review purposes.

I have somehow deleted the footer. When I select "View Headers / Footers" from the menu - no Header or footer is created.

I can't create a new version of the document and "pour in" in contents because all the text will look like a change to Track Changes.

Why can't I recreate Headers and Footers in the document? Is there an option to disable the create of Headers or footers?

CRL

Twirly
11th-September-2006, 04:15 PM
It's probably something to do with your section breaks/same as previous. Can't tell without looking - see my PM.

bigdjiver
11th-September-2006, 07:26 PM
It's probably something to do with your section breaks/same as previous. Can't tell without looking - see my PM.Section breaks would seem to be a major suspect. I got too many hits to look through them all.

http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en

if all else fails post a question on usenet word group.

David Bailey
11th-September-2006, 07:41 PM
Why can't I recreate Headers and Footers in the document? Is there an option to disable the create of Headers or footers?
It's unlikely that you zapped all the footers in the document; it may be they are there but not displayed. If you accidentally click on the left hand ruler on the little horizontal line between pages, Word cunningly stops displaying them :rolleyes:

(Click back there to re-display them, I think)

Can you print a test page to see if the footers are still there?

Of course, your first mistake was to use Word to write multi-section documents in. After 40-50 pages, my rule is Don't Use Word.

WittyBird
11th-September-2006, 07:46 PM
Clive give me a call I will talk you through it :rolleyes:

Clive Long
11th-September-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the input and offers of help. Yes the headers and footers were there, just "hidden". I did two things

1. Tried to create a copy by hacking out the contents - it's commercially confidential , blah, blah. Bingo, by jingo, the headers / footers re-appeared

2. I accepted all changes in the "full" document, and the headers / footers reappeared.

The important thing is that "Track Changes" make my comments clear.

Thanks all,

Clive